Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 44

Thread: Cool!

  1. #1
    banned
    Reputation: imridingmybike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    6,162

    Cool!

    Post your race stories and pics here!

    Here's a few from my first xc race in way too long.

    It was a great day - high 70's, no rain - obviously, but for Cool - renowned for mudd boggs and inclement weather, this was really sumthin!

    The course was great - rocky in parts, single track in parts, worn out, rutted fire road in parts, and several muddy stream and puddle crossings. The course really took a toll on bikes. I saw so many technicals - from pinch flats to angry drive trains.

    I actually flatted on my first lap trying to pass a dude on a downhill - I was taking the road less travelled, as it were - and got a pinch flat.

    First lap took waaaay too long - fixing flats and warming up. Second lap was lots better. Muscle cramps/pain galore, but I was 10 minutes faster on the second lap than on the first!

    Took 11th in sport - which is aaight. It may have been dry relative to other years - but it was still freekin muddy - a great XC course overall! Good times
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by imridingmybike; 03-11-2007 at 06:17 PM.

  2. #2
    3.14159265358979323846
    Reputation: velocipus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    2,859
    good work Chuck.
    Why'd they route the course around the mudhole (in third pic)? where's the fun in that???

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: natebyrom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    206
    look on the left of the bog... it's a jump! From what I hear About 75%-80% of people that tried to ride the bog didn't make it.

  4. #4
    banned
    Reputation: imridingmybike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    6,162
    Quote Originally Posted by natebyrom
    look on the left of the bog... it's a jump! From what I hear About 75%-80% of people that tried to ride the bog didn't make it.
    Yah, I steered clear of the jump - these light bikes don't take to kindly to the air. My domestique said some road right through the bog - It was put-near 1' deep. Lots of crashes and hijinks in that section of "trail."

    Never fear, Velocipus, there was plenty of mud and water crossings on the course!

  5. #5
    3.14159265358979323846
    Reputation: velocipus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    2,859
    Favorite memories of my first Cool race:
    Jaquie Phelan calling my roadie buddy a sandbagger for racing beginner with shaved legs.
    Same roadie buddy going a$$ over tea kettle in one of the creek crossings.
    mud and water crossings!
    sorry I missed it.

  6. #6
    Ride Responsibly
    Reputation: LWright's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    1,916
    My first race ever, figured I should enter one before I hit 50, I had watched Cool for the past few years and thought it would fit my limits. Rode the course a month ago so I had an idea of what to expect. Think I placed dead last in my class but who cares? Compeating was never a consideration, goal was to do the ride without having to stop along the way and I did that, walked all the climbs, but did not stop! Maybe lame if compared to what others do, but I was not in it for others and am soooo thankful I entered.

  7. #7
    10100111001
    Reputation: mtb_g33k's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    392
    Quote Originally Posted by velocipus
    Favorite memories of my first Cool race:
    Jaquie Phelan calling my roadie buddy a sandbagger for racing beginner with shaved legs.
    Same roadie buddy going a$$ over tea kettle in one of the creek crossings.
    mud and water crossings!
    sorry I missed it.
    LMAO!

  8. #8
    dcubed
    Reputation: desmo13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    1,080
    Quote Originally Posted by LWright
    My first race ever, figured I should enter one before I hit 50, I had watched Cool for the past few years and thought it would fit my limits. Rode the course a month ago so I had an idea of what to expect. Think I placed dead last in my class but who cares? Compeating was never a consideration, goal was to do the ride without having to stop along the way and I did that, walked all the climbs, but did not stop! Maybe lame if compared to what others do, but I was not in it for others and am soooo thankful I entered.

    Entering and finishing a race automatically bumps you out of last place
    [SIZE="1"]Delta Dirt Dogs[/SIZE]

    My photos

  9. #9
    Master of '80s BMX tricks
    Reputation: Biker_Scout_Sparky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    1,049

    Good job! At least I won the raffle!!

    1 lap in 1:15 for 23rd but nonstop with minimal hike-a-bike makes it a step up from last year. I need to ride that loop when not racing if I'm ever gonna get up in front of the pack.
    Here's the camera dump. more on the way.
    Hats off to all the winners!!

  10. #10
    wg
    wg is offline
    Fermented Grain Sampler
    Reputation: wg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    4,013
    Congrats on a good finish there. You must of changed that flat fairly quickly.
    I want pics of the mayhem in the bog. That'll make entertainment for tomorrow's coffee break.
    Don't harsh my mello

  11. #11
    banned
    Reputation: imridingmybike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    6,162
    Quote Originally Posted by wg
    Congrats on a good finish there. You must of changed that flat fairly quickly.
    I want pics of the mayhem in the bog. That'll make entertainment for tomorrow's coffee break.

    DubG,

    Check out BSS's links - there's some mud bog mahem going on FoSho!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 61.jpg (231.0 KB, 386 views)

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: merlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,217

    My report

    My first SS race, I'm 47, usually race Expert, going up against the kids in the 35+ SS class ... I was doing really well, right behind the lead group, about 2/3 in to lap I flatted It took me forever to get the flat fixed According to my Polar time vs the finsh time , I lost 8 minutes, and would have finished 6th, I ended up 11th. I felt great about my fitness and have a new respect for the SS racers!
    The good news,
    My 15 year old son raced with me and got 2nd
    I WON THE RAFFLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This baby is in my garage and will be for sale soon
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ride to eat, Eat to ride.

  13. #13
    swag ho Administrator
    Reputation: francois's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1996
    Posts
    17,965
    Frickin awesome Chuck and Rick? You guys flat and keep racing hard!!! That's the attitude that will keep you enjoying life!

    fc
    IPA will save America

  14. #14
    banned
    Reputation: imridingmybike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    6,162
    Quote Originally Posted by merlin
    My first SS race, I'm 47, usually race Expert, going up against the kids in the 35+ SS class ... I was doing really well, right behind the lead group, about 2/3 in to lap I flatted It took me forever to get the flat fixed According to my Polar time vs the finsh time , I lost 8 minutes, and would have finished 6th, I ended up 11th. I felt great about my fitness and have a new respect for the SS racers!
    The good news,
    My 15 year old son raced with me and got 2nd
    I WON THE RAFFLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This baby is in my garage and will be for sale soon
    Sounds just like my ride! I have no idea how long I took to fix my flat - but the winners in my group were really fast - no way I would have won, regardless.

    Dude - I was stoked to have won some Hope Ti skewers, socks and power food in the raffle - you won a whole bike?!?! WOW!
    Last edited by imridingmybike; 03-12-2007 at 08:22 AM. Reason: IBEX!

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: merlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,217
    I never would have known how long it took to fix the flat, except my Polar HR, measure rolling time, 1:35, and my finish time was 8 minutes longer. It took me forever.....
    I was going to DNF , but I knew I would get a great workout doing another lap on the SS!
    Ride to eat, Eat to ride.

  16. #16
    3.14159265358979323846
    Reputation: velocipus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    2,859
    Quote Originally Posted by Biker_Scout_Sparky
    1 lap in 1:15 for 23rd but nonstop with minimal hike-a-bike makes it a step up from last year. I need to ride that loop when not racing if I'm ever gonna get up in front of the pack.
    Here's the camera dump. more on the way.
    Hats off to all the winners!!
    Great Pics.... I'm a little disappointed that there are no pics of the tandems taking the jump
    Looks like a great day of racing.

  17. #17
    Feeling a little taller
    Reputation: Dan'ger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    6,695
    Quote Originally Posted by imridingmybike
    Yah, I steered clear of the jump - these light bikes don't take to kindly to the air. My domestique said some road right through the bog - It was put-near 1' deep. Lots of crashes and hijinks in that section of "trail."

    Never fear, Velocipus, there was plenty of mud and water crossings on the course!
    Good to see that the Tracer held up long enough to race it.
    There are no stupid questions but there are A LOT of inquisitive idiots.


    Bicycle Trails Council of the East Bay

  18. #18
    NedwannaB
    Reputation: JMac47's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    8,323

    Good job Rick!

    Quote Originally Posted by merlin
    My first SS race, I'm 47, usually race Expert, going up against the kids in the 35+ SS class ... I was doing really well, right behind the lead group, about 2/3 in to lap I flatted It took me forever to get the flat fixed According to my Polar time vs the finsh time , I lost 8 minutes, and would have finished 6th, I ended up 11th. I felt great about my fitness and have a new respect for the SS racers!
    The good news,
    My 15 year old son raced with me and got 2nd
    I WON THE RAFFLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This baby is in my garage and will be for sale soon
    Too bad about the flat. Glass 1/2 full, without the flat you might have picked up the pace while dicing with others and finished higher then 6th!

    What gear did you end up running?

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: merlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,217
    Quote Originally Posted by JMac47
    Too bad about the flat. Glass 1/2 full, without the flat you might have picked up the pace while dicing with others and finished higher then 6th!

    What gear did you end up running?
    I ran 34X18. I was glad I did not go 34x17, I could barley make it up the climbs with the 34X17 Painful but fun.
    Ride to eat, Eat to ride.

  20. #20
    Uncle
    Reputation: Entrenador's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    3,676

    Kidneys?

    What I think was my kidneys were aching like crazy during the middle 1/3 of my solitary lap. Any idea what this is? I'm pretty sure it wasn't my muscles hurting. Drank various liquids all morning, so I didn't think it would be a dehyd. issue (did the whole lap last year with only a few swigs at the Cytotent), but maybe the warm weather dried us out that much faster? I'm still a bit baffled. Hurt so bad I could barely operate the lungs. A 30 second stop, a few sips of water and the freebie HammerGel solved it within the next mile. Weird and painful, but glad it went away.

    Raced beginner for the second time there, and my third race ever. Was considering moving up to Sport the day before, but I don't think I'd have finished a second lap. Started middle of the pack this year instead of in the very back like last year, and finished 3rd place this time, so I'm stoked overall. Not sure how far ahead the leaders were, but I don't remember seeing them after the start. Taking a 30 second break in 9.7 miles shouldn't yield a top finish anyway as far as I'm concerned.

    Highlight for me was seeing the yellow tandem handle the mud bog. I think they were the fastest through there bar none -- straightlined right through the most direct route, barely slowing them down. Very impressive.

    Thanks everyone for leaving before the raffle; I was due for a new seat! Woo Hoo!

    Thanks Scott and Auburn Bikeworks for another fun day at Cool!
    Last edited by Entrenador; 03-12-2007 at 10:06 AM.
    Eat, ride, eat, rest, repeat.

  21. #21
    time to climb
    Reputation: Paulie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    239
    Lets also not forget to thank to Sean and Mary Allen, FATRAC, and all of the other people who volunteered their time to make this event possible. Thanks everyone!

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation: RandyB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    103
    I brought my camera with me but because I was working at the race, I didn't have time to get many pictures. But here are a couple of the start.






  23. #23
    NedwannaB
    Reputation: JMac47's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    8,323

    Fierce!

    Quote Originally Posted by merlin
    I ran 34X18. I was glad I did not go 34x17, I could barley make it up the climbs with the 34X17 Painful but fun.
    You looked focused Rick......or worried about being samicthed between a couple rookies! Good choice on the gear selection, I would have done the same. Except for the bogs, this had to be the best weather for the race in a long time huh?
    Attached Images Attached Images

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation: merlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,217
    Quote Originally Posted by JMac47
    You looked focused Rick.....
    Not focused..Nauseous
    Ride to eat, Eat to ride.

  25. #25
    Ride Responsibly
    Reputation: LWright's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    1,916
    You lost em, I Found em, laying in the street (Parking alley, St. Sumthinerother,)
    Tell me exactly what I found and I will mail them to you.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •