Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    orthonormal

Considering a job in San Jose

I'm thinking about taking an offer in San Jose. It's a great career move but a long commute from Carmel. If I take it, we'll probably relocate. I'd appreciate a PM from anyone here living in/near San Jose with inside knowledge about the local school options.
    The glass is twice as large as it needs to be

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    San Jose is huge - where is the job and where are you thinking of relocating? You can have nearly hour long commutes each way getting from one side of SJ to the other (even though it'd take 20 minutes with no traffic).

For example you can ride out your door to Santa Teresa if you live in far south San Jose - or it can take you 45 minutes plus with traffic to get there if you live in north San Jose. I'm in far north San Jose between 237/101/880, and it's nearly impossible to get any direction towards any trails in the afternoon/evening.

San Jose is also growing very rapidly in some areas (particularly the far north end where giant apartment complexes are being built everywhere), and in the next decade traffic will approach full on gridlock in commute hours. Might be wise to consider what drastically increased traffic would do to your commute and location planning...

aka dan51
    Where is the job located? Might be possible to bike commute via paved bike path.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    ...People thought they were getting a good fork because it was a "fox".

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by andy f View Post
    I'm thinking about taking an offer in San Jose. It's a great career move but a long commute from Carmel. If I take it, we'll probably relocate. I'd appreciate a PM from anyone here living in/near San Jose with inside knowledge about the local school options.
    How competitive a school do you want to put your kids to? The top tier public schools are at Cupertino 95014, West San Jose 95129, Good part of Sunnyvale 94087, Saratoga, Los Gatos, Los Altos and Palo Alto. But housing price is not cheap here. $1.2-1.5 million gets you a 1000 sq-ft 60 year shitty old house.

Or you can choose private schools and live in cheaper (relatively speaking) but safe areas such as south San Jose, Campbell, Santa Clara etc.

Sweater
    Quote Originally Posted by lidation View Post
    How competitive a school do you want to put your kids to? The top tier public schools are at Cupertino 95014, West San Jose 95129, Good part of Sunnyvale 94087, Saratoga, Los Gatos, Los Altos and Palo Alto. But housing price is not cheap here. $1.2-1.5 million gets you a 1000 sq-ft 60 year shitty old house.

Or you can choose private schools and live in cheaper (relatively speaking) but safe areas such as south San Jose, Campbell, Santa Clara etc.
    You're kidding? Housing in that area has come back to the 05-06 peak level already? Here in Sac it's not there yet. Maybe 70% of where it was, I haven't looked to closely into it. I'm surprised but not totally shocked. On the occasions I have to work over in the Bay Area, traffic in the last 6 months has come back to where it was during the boom. The last few years heading over to work was a breeze, but now I've got to plan around traffic again. Traffic is heavier here in Sac, but not like the Bay Area. Relatively speaking I mean, Sac has never been as congested but the Bay has come back to peak levels much sooner.
    All out of S**** and down to my last F***

orthonormal
    The job is just East of the airport. 87 or 101 provide convenient access. I won't be able to afford Cupertino/Saratoga prices so I've been looking into areas of San Jose with high schools that score relatively well on standardized tests. Leland, Pioneer, Leigh, Branham, and a few others. All of these put me in the SW part of SJ or in Campbell. The main things I'm looking for here are knowledge about schools beyond test scores and commute info. Ability to get to early morning or evening rides on weekdays counts too, but not quite as much.

mtbr member

Another thing is what are your commute hours, does your SO work too, and where are kids needing to go for school, after school etc.
    If your job allows for slightly flexibly hours, such as arrive early and leave early, your options might open up a little.

10 years ago I used to commute from Santa Cruz to a job near Santa Clara univ. Yes it was 10yo so traffic and real estate were very different. But i would drive over the hill early and try to leave before the main traffic rush. It was brutal, but worth being able to live in the Cruz at the time. What about Scott's Valley? Long drive yes, but quality of life there might make it beareable.

I think that commuting from Carmel is not something you'd want to do for very long, if you want to see your kids during the week. However, nowadays it isn't uncommon for parents to work long hours with one parent maybe having a better schedule for managing weekly home duties. BUT then you're going to want to be with your kids all weekend, and there'd be no time to ride!

Maybe the SJ locals will chime in some more, but what's it it like east of 680, down near 680/101? There's some trails over there (Alum Rock?) and some pretty decent road riding out your door.

Good luck with your decision and move.

C'dale Rush Lefty
    Jun 2004
    Leland HS is in an expensive area but some decent MTB nearby at Santa Theresa Park and other local county parks. I went to Leland long ago, great school.

The others you suggest are in cheaper housing areas. There seems to be some correlation between housing prices and school quality. However, there is so much free education for kids in Silicon Valley that I don't think school quality matters. Parenting and imagination are far more important.

I have had decades of working with teens in Boy and Girl Scouts, Junior Achievement, foster care, and hosting exchange students. School quality as measured by test scores is meaningless to me. Parenting and mentors is all that matters.

I'm in Santa Clara near the university now. Boring place to live as in no downtown street life but very convenient for techie events and jobs and relatively cheap. If my wife and I leave before 3:30 PM we can be riding on Skyline Ridge in 40 minutes by taking Saratoga Ave all the way. Well, this summer there are two construction sites on Highway 9 above Saratoga that slow things down but 40 - 45 minutes is the usual.

Campbell is a great little town and we would like to move there or Los Gatos someday. They have more of the small town charm you are used to in Carmel but without the tourism, or beach. The more west you live the better access to trails. However, the commutes get longer.

I'm a native of San Jose and returned to this area after 20 years in Alaska, Russia, and Seattle (yuck) because I enjoy the tech activities here and it is the best place to start tech based companies. I need more intellectual excitement than other places offer. My wife has a short commute into downtown San Jose and I have a home office. If you keep your commute short then the quality of life here is one of the best.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

I lived and worked in San Jose for 12 years, believe me school choice matters even with the extras mentioned above. Many neighborhoods (even nice ones) have bad schools where your kid would need to join a gang to survive. Crime is on the rise there thanks to a "fiscally conservative" mayor that cut the police force by 30 percent. Consider Campbell or even Santa Clara or better yet Scott's Valley. I think I'd stay in Carmel.

mtbr member
    First off, you'll need to get used to the heat. Coming from Carmel, where you have the natural AC it is a eyeopener how hot it gets around here, especially in South SJ.

All of the schools in the West and SW SJ have improved over the past 10 years because of people like you and me who cannot afford to move into LG or Saratoga. I grew up in the Santa Cruz Mountains and went to LGHS. I now live 2 blocks from the LG border in the Cambrian Park area and the schools are fantastic and are becoming on par the LG schools as far as test scores. Unfortunately, the more the scores goes up, the higher the home prices go. Just recently 3 houses in my neighborhood went for over or just under a million. It is a great area with lots of activity and access.

As JMP said above, Campbell is becoming quite the happening little town. The DT is now like the new "hot spot" at night and then becomes your quaint, friendly, little town in the morning.

Willow Glen has beautiful housing and the neighborhood feel is top notch. The DT is really nice and they also have lots of activities (festivals, farmer's markets, etc.). The housing prices aren't as high as the rest of the area due to the schools. It is also convenient for your commute.

I used to ride the local trails, but once I was enlightened to the trails in SC, I have barely ridden around here since. I am not a strictly XC rider, so if you are into XC there are quite a few options all within biking distance. I ride twice a week in SC which requires a drive, but to get to the some of the best trails in the world, I'll do it.
    [SIZE="2"]"You don't stop playing because you get old, you get old because you stop playing!" - Unigeezer [/SIZE]

Paper or plastic?
    House prices have come back to their bubble peaks, and maybe past it in some places around the bay. I would be leery of buying a house now. The economy is hitting on every cylinder around here.
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Quote Originally Posted by zorg View Post
    House prices have come back to their bubble peaks, and maybe past it in some places around the bay. I would be leery of buying a house now. The economy is hitting on every cylinder around here.
    Yes, make sure you wait until the prices go up another 20 percent!

Wēk Ss
    Which grades/ages are you looking at? Sorry, I have no information for you, but hopefully others in the SW SJ/Campbell area does. I'm in SJ, but my kids go to private school even though my neighborhood schools rank very high.

In terms of generalities, I would look in West SJ, bordering Cupertino. There are some areas that go to Cupertino schools, which rank very high in terms of academics. I can try to find out from friends. Another is the SW part of Campbell, bordering Saratoga and Los Gatos.

Edit: closer reading, you mentioned high schools. Cupertino is the way to go. I'll try to find out the West SJ area that goes to Cupertino high schools.

Sweater

Quote Originally Posted by SS Hack View Post
    Yes, make sure you wait until the prices go up another 20 percent!
    Or capitalize on falling rent.
    All out of S**** and down to my last F***

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    the road rides in the hills on both sides make that area worth it

orthonormal
    Quote Originally Posted by IAmHolland View Post
    Which grades/ages are you looking at? Sorry, I have no information for you, but hopefully others in the SW SJ/Campbell area does. I'm in SJ, but my kids go to private school even though my neighborhood schools rank very high.

In terms of generalities, I would look in West SJ, bordering Cupertino. There are some areas that go to Cupertino schools, which rank very high in terms of academics. I can try to find out from friends. Another is the SW part of Campbell, bordering Saratoga and Los Gatos.

Edit: closer reading, you mentioned high schools. Cupertino is the way to go. I'll try to find out the West SJ area that goes to Cupertino high schools.
    From what I can tell on realtor.com, I won't be able to afford anything in the part of SJ that attends the Cupertino schools.

I have two daughters. They'll be starting 10th and 8th grade in the fall. They're both very into performing arts; theater and choral music. Carmel HS is huge in those areas and I don't know if I'll find anything comparable for them up there.

Wēk Ss
    It will be hard to beat Carmel high. The closest would be Lincoln High in SJ. Lincoln High School | San Jos, California Academics are not great though, and performing arts is a very tough life if you have nothing else to fall back on though most artists seem to take flexible gigs like a waiter/service job.

Junior flyer
    Jun 2010
    I've heard good things about the Campbell school district, and you'd only be a 25-minute drive from Santa Cruz. But home prices are high...
    Why?

Because we like the taste of freedom; because we like the smell of danger. ~ E. Abbey

Wēk Ss
    One way to "get best of both" is to supplement. Focus on academics for school, and use after school programs for others. My son plays competitive soccer, and does so after school and weekends. My daughter is into ballet, and does the same, and studies with SJ Ballet. It's more time and money though, but could be a solution for you, as it is for me.

CMTSJ - Children's Musical Theater San Jose |

Some of my kids schoolmates perform there and other kids theaters. I can find out more about those programs if you are interested.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzaro View Post
    Or capitalize on falling rent.
    Aren't rents going nuts in most of the Bay Area? We're on the front end of our cycle (AKA bubble) and it's a great time to buy. You'll be waiting a decade or more for the next bottom.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Quote Originally Posted by andy f View Post
    From what I can tell on realtor.com, I won't be able to afford anything in the part of SJ that attends the Cupertino schools.

I have two daughters. They'll be starting 10th and 8th grade in the fall. They're both very into performing arts; theater and choral music. Carmel HS is huge in those areas and I don't know if I'll find anything comparable for them up there.
    What's your budget? If you're willing to commute, Pleasanton could be a good option with great schools for the money. All these places will be culture shock to your kids if they've been raised in Carmel. You'll be giving up a nice lifestyle for the rat race. People nearly kill each other to grab a chunk of cheese at Trader Joe's in Santa Clara County.

Paper or plastic?
    If you're after a good school district, you can look up south Fremont (Mission San Jose). It's a great school district, and your commute will suck somewhat (880 is awful). The riding sucks, but you'll have Mission Peak at your doorstep for those aerobic, sometimes anaerobic, climbs.
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Yeah, the student ethnicity of a school can tell you A LOT about it.
    Lincoln High: 70% Hispanic, 18% White, 4% Asian. API score: 761
    Lynbrook High: 3% Hispanic, 14% White, 81% Asian. API score: 946

Quote Originally Posted by IAmHolland View Post
    It will be hard to beat Carmel high. The closest would be Lincoln High in SJ. Lincoln High School | San Jos, California Academics are not great though, and performing arts is a very tough life if you have nothing else to fall back on though most artists seem to take flexible gigs like a waiter/service job.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Quote Originally Posted by zorg View Post
    If you're after a good school district, you can look up south Fremont (Mission San Jose). It's a great school district, and your commute will suck somewhat (880 is awful). The riding sucks, but you'll have Mission Peak at your doorstep for those aerobic, sometimes anaerobic, climbs.
    I think that hood is in the million dollar club now because of those great schools.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    One of my neighbors rented out their house (4 bedroom, 1600 sq-ft, 60-year old house, original bathroom, remodeled kitchen) for $4500/month. This is Sunnyvale. 5 years ago, you could only get $3000/month for this max.

Quote Originally Posted by SS Hack View Post
    Aren't rents going nuts in most of the Bay Area? We're on the front end of our cycle (AKA bubble) and it's a great time to buy. You'll be waiting a decade or more for the next bottom.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast