Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    orthonormal
    Lots of good info here, thanks everyone. I do understand what I am potentially giving up but this would be a very big career move for me. I'm fortunate to have a very supportive wife and kids.
    The glass is twice as large as it needs to be

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Considering a job in San Jose

Quote Originally Posted by andy f View Post
    Lots of good info here, thanks everyone. I do understand what I am potentially giving up but this would be a very big career move for me. I'm fortunate to have a very supportive wife and kids.
    Hope it works out. My family took a 100k pay cut to escape.

mtbr member
    From what I can tell on realtor.com, I won't be able to afford anything in the part of SJ that attends the Cupertino schools.

I have two daughters. They'll be starting 10th and 8th grade in the fall. They're both very into performing arts; theater and choral music. Carmel HS is huge in those areas and I don't know if I'll find anything comparable for them up there.
    andy f...do/did they go to CMS? My wife teaches 8th grade there. I'm going to have to agree with you that you are not going to find the kind of amenities/opportunities they have for the performing arts unless you go private school in the South Bay. The Carmel public school system is truly an embarrassment of riches.

orthonormal
    Quote Originally Posted by Carl Hungus View Post
    andy f...do/did they go to CMS? My wife teaches 8th grade there. I'm going to have to agree with you that you are not going to find the kind of amenities/opportunities they have for the performing arts unless you go private school in the South Bay. The Carmel public school system is truly an embarrassment of riches.
    Yes to CMS. That whole "rural district" thing really works to CUSD's advantage. What subject does your wife teach?

mtbr member
    Yes to CMS. That whole "rural district" thing really works to CUSD's advantage. What subject does your wife teach?
    Language Arts. Mrs. Wells.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SS Hack View Post
    Hope it works out. My family took a 100k pay cut to escape.
    I feel ya. We're taking a 140k pay cut to escape. The ridiculous housing market right now makes it an even easier decision to sell the house.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by beaverbiker View Post
    I feel ya. We're taking a 140k pay cut to escape. The ridiculous housing market right now makes it an even easier decision to sell the house.
    Where's the beav headed?

mtbr member
    Sierra Foothills near Millerton Lake. Really looking forward to the mtb/moto riding and going fishing with my son's before work in the morning. Might even have to build a snowboard rack for the plated KTM 500 I'm planning on getting for the ultimate adventure to China Peak.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Quote Originally Posted by beaverbiker View Post
    Sierra Foothills near Millerton Lake. Really looking forward to the mtb/moto riding and going fishing with my son's before work in the morning. Might even have to build a snowboard rack for the plated KTM 500 I'm planning on getting for the ultimate adventure to China Peak.
    Good for you!

orthonormal
    Update: I took the job and we're buying a house in Scotts Valley. New construction in the Woodside neighborhood along Scotts Valley Dr. Our place will be ready in October and my new employer is putting us up in temporary housing until then.

I'm looking forward to getting out on those trails. The job change, getting ready to move, and commuting from Carmel to San Jose everyday hasn't left me with much time to ride.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Good choice, enjoy!

mtbr member
    Congrats Andy! Welcome to the hood.

Beavers, congrats too. Will miss building trails with you bud. I imagine Millerton will be getting some new ST soon.
    I'm not sure how this works.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Congrats, and welcome to town. I'm amazed at how fast that neighborhood is going up. Lot's of good riding right from your door, if you don't mind a couple of miles on the road.

Did you get your kids enrolled in school yet?

orthonormal
    Quote Originally Posted by AaGro View Post
    Congrats, and welcome to town. I'm amazed at how fast that neighborhood is going up. Lot's of good riding right from your door, if you don't mind a couple of miles on the road.

Did you get your kids enrolled in school yet?
    Yes, one in 8th grade, the other in 10th. We're very happy with what we've seen so far with the schools, really nice people in administration. It was one of only two places where we could afford to buy a place that worked well for a family with two teenagers AND liked the schools (the other was Dublin). I've been driving 1 to 17 to 880 from Carmel to get a feel for traffic and it's been clear sailing as long as I reach Scotts Valley before 7:00 am.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    That was pretty much my take on things - YMMV - but if you have to do the 17/85 interchange 6:30am at SVD and Granite Creek was my deadline. There are lots of back-ways for the locals for the inevitable winter road closures.

Our experience has been great with this district. I'm sure yours will be too.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3