Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Sweater

Considering a job in San Jose

Quote Originally Posted by SS Hack View Post
    Aren't rents going nuts in most of the Bay Area? We're on the front end of our cycle (AKA bubble) and it's a great time to buy. You'll be waiting a decade or more for the next bottom.
    I don't really know but with everybody buying doesn't that mean less folks are renting?
    All out of S**** and down to my last F***
    I think I strained a pucker muscle

Paper or plastic?
    I think that hood is in the million dollar club now because of those great schools.
    Sure is. All good school districts are at least that much nowadays. I think it's insane and not really sustainable, but that's what it is today.
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Quote Originally Posted by zorg View Post
    Sure is. All good school districts are at least that much nowadays. I think it's insane and not really sustainable, but that's what it is today.
    All this has lasted way longer than I thought it could. You can get a few better deals up in Marin or Sonoma, but anything close to the valley is crazy.

Team Chilidog!
    Quote Originally Posted by IAmHolland View Post
    Which grades/ages are you looking at? Sorry, I have no information for you, but hopefully others in the SW SJ/Campbell area does. I'm in SJ, but my kids go to private school even though my neighborhood schools rank very high.

In terms of generalities, I would look in West SJ, bordering Cupertino. There are some areas that go to Cupertino schools, which rank very high in terms of academics. I can try to find out from friends. Another is the SW part of Campbell, bordering Saratoga and Los Gatos.

Edit: closer reading, you mentioned high schools. Cupertino is the way to go. I'll try to find out the West SJ area that goes to Cupertino high schools.
    Westmont and Prospect High schools are in my zip (95130). They're very good high schools. However, housing here would be expensive, renting or buying. I can't believe how much the pricing has gone up since we bought 10 years ago. Feel free to PM me.
    MTB4Her.com: mountain bike site for women, by women

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Dude...there are many options out there. If your kids are competitive in terms of grades and test scores, there is a great public charter school in gilroy, Dr. TJ Owens Early College Academy (competitive admission). API Score is 932. Home prices in Gilroy are FAR less than SJ/Los Gatos, and you are only 40min away from Aptos for riding, 10min away from Henry Coe and Harvey Bear.....50min away from Demo forest and Santa Cruz.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Quote Originally Posted by ssalinas View Post
    Dude...there are many options out there. If your kids are competitive in terms of grades and test scores, there is a great public charter school in gilroy, Dr. TJ Owens Early College Academy (competitive admission). API Score is 932. Home prices in Gilroy are FAR less than SJ/Los Gatos, and you are only 40min away from Aptos for riding, 10min away from Henry Coe and Harvey Bear.....50min away from Demo forest and Santa Cruz.
    Commute will be brutal to North SJ and it's like 115 in the summer.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    30-45min. 115 for like 2 weeks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Quote Originally Posted by ssalinas View Post
    30-45min. 115 for like 2 weeks.
    In perfect traffic! It can take that long from South SJ.

Wēk Sôs
    In perfect traffic! It can take that long from South SJ.
    Indeed. 60 would probably be the norm. It is probably 40 miles to his work, then metering lights, and the typical backup on 101N just north of Gilroy and local traffic in SJ itself after the exit. That is assuming he doesn't have to drive the kids and he is close enough for them to walk or a short bike. From South East SJ, it takes me, on average 40 minutes to travel 20 miles. My morning routine, with kid drop off, is about 1:30, and that is only going 30-35 miles total.

Commute home? LOL. Even worse than the morning commute.

That is a good school though, and is half way to SJ from Carmel. I'm not sure I would trade Carmel for Gilroy though.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Quote Originally Posted by IAmHolland View Post
    Indeed. 60 would probably be the norm. It is probably 40 miles to his work, then metering lights, and the typical backup on 101N just north of Gilroy and local traffic in SJ itself after the exit. That is assuming he doesn't have to drive the kids and he is close enough for them to walk or a short bike. From South East SJ, it takes me, on average 40 minutes to travel 20 miles. My morning routine, with kid drop off, is about 1:30, and that is only going 30-35 miles total.

Commute home? LOL. Even worse than the morning commute.

That is a good school though, and is half way to SJ from Carmel. I'm not sure I would trade Carmel for Gilroy though.
    Call me crazy, but If I were going to commute 2 hours a day to SJ, I'd rather live in Aptos and walk out my door at night to the beach. I do 90 minutes to more than 2 hours a day, but a Mt. Tam trailhead is only a block away from my very humble house. At some point you have to wonder why you're doing all this ...

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    At some point you have to wonder why you're doing all this ...
    To make money man. A lot of us are still trapped in the rat race. This mountain biking hobby simply makes us feel a little bit better.
    Oh, well, this thread is pretty depressing.

fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by andy f View Post
    The job is just East of the airport. 87 or 101 provide convenient access. I won't be able to afford Cupertino/Saratoga prices so I've been looking into areas of San Jose with high schools that score relatively well on standardized tests. Leland, Pioneer, Leigh, Branham, and a few others. All of these put me in the SW part of SJ or in Campbell. The main things I'm looking for here are knowledge about schools beyond test scores and commute info. Ability to get to early morning or evening rides on weekdays counts too, but not quite as much.
    Commute from Scotts Valley is roughly 40 minutes each way if you're out the door between 7 and 7:15. I did it for 4 years until I found a local job.

Schools are freaking rad (why we moved here)....and access to trails is even better. Also it's a super safe town with great community vibe.

My .02
    Visit these 2 places to help advance trail access:
    http://www.sharingthepct.org/
    http://www.facebook.com/SharingThePct

Medium?
    You wouldn't want to live in Pleasanton. That commute is the suck.

It's not 115 in Gilroy ever, let alone for two weeks. Maybe Phoenix. It does get into the 90s pretty often, but it cools down in the evenings.

I live in Morgan Hill. I doubt the "scores" are high, but the schools are nice. Sobrato HS is almost new and they have a performing arts program and a very nice theater.

Don't forget the CalTrain/Bike option. The years I did that commute were my favorite.

The car commute from Morgan Hill is awesome. I leave around 8:30 and drive 79mph in the 2nd lane usually all the way to hwy 280.

The valley is totally worth dealing with. My salary would peak at about 65% of what I make in almost any other market and I was making a lot more as a consultant.

Robots baby!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Pleasanton schools completely blow away anything in south Santa Clara County ... just saying. I wouldn't trade Carmel for any of it however.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by CHUM View Post
    Commute from Scotts Valley is roughly 40 minutes each way if you're out the door between 7 and 7:15. I did it for 4 years until I found a local job.

Schools are freaking rad (why we moved here)....and access to trails is even better. Also it's a super safe town with great community vibe.

My .02
    Quoted for truth. I moved to Scotts Valley for the schools - the middle school is ugly for your 8th grader but she'll be safe and well educated while they build the new school around her.

I will stay here for everything else. The commute sucks, but it is not worse than Morgan Hill or Redwood City for your job location. The "other side of the hill" is booming again and congestion is on the rise. Whenever I pull down our road and smell the redwoods my shoulders relax and my eyebrows unknot.

Redfin is your friend.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by andy f View Post
    The job is just East of the airport. 87 or 101 provide convenient access. I won't be able to afford Cupertino/Saratoga prices so I've been looking into areas of San Jose with high schools that score relatively well on standardized tests. Leland, Pioneer, Leigh, Branham, and a few others. All of these put me in the SW part of SJ or in Campbell. The main things I'm looking for here are knowledge about schools beyond test scores and commute info. Ability to get to early morning or evening rides on weekdays counts too, but not quite as much.
    This is a costly alternative, have your daughter got to Stevenson. Keep the house in Carmel and vacation rental it out. Rent a place in one of the many new apartment complexes in North San Jose. Other option is sell the Carmel house and don't buy now. You really don't want to buy in this high market unless you have to. The prices will come back down again.

Also if you thought Cupertino/Saratoga was expensive then you can Skip on Almaden(leland territory) and Los Gatos. Both of those are in the same ball park also.

The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
    Quote Originally Posted by jmpreston View Post
    I have had decades of working with teens in Boy and Girl Scouts, Junior Achievement, foster care, and hosting exchange students. School quality as measured by test scores is meaningless to me. Parenting and mentors is all that matters.
    My wife is an educator and you're correct the test scores really only measure the teachers ability to teach to the test. Learning is so much more then teaching to a test. The size of the class and the number of teacher aids is another thing to consider. For example, if their are 36 students in a class and no aids their will be problems in the learning process. But if that teacher has good parent support......ie parents that volunteer during the school day then teaching and learning will be more affective.

Remember the teachers union controls the public education process in the state of California. I 100% support private education....pick your flavour

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Quote Originally Posted by 2clue View Post
    This is a costly alternative, have your daughter got to Stevenson. Keep the house in Carmel and vacation rental it out. Rent a place in one of the many new apartment complexes in North San Jose. Other option is sell the Carmel house and don't buy now. You really don't want to buy in this high market unless you have to. The prices will come back down again.

Also if you thought Cupertino/Saratoga was expensive then you can Skip on Almaden(leland territory) and Los Gatos. Both of those are in the same ball park also.
    You'll be waiting 7 to 10 years for prices to come down again. We are at the front end of the real estate cycle. Renting and keeping your house is a good idea in case you don't like San Jose compared to Carmel which is almost certain.

mtbr member
    Unless you're about to make some serious coin on all the useless crap that silicon valley is selling I'd stay in Carmel. The quality of life here will be far below what you're used to.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Quote Originally Posted by beaverbiker View Post
    Unless you're about to make some serious coin on all the useless crap that silicon valley is selling I'd stay in Carmel. The quality of life here will be far below what you're used to.
    You're life will suck compared to Carmel. Everything is harder in San Jose, stores are far, traffic and parking a nightmare and crime is on the rise. You better be making bank to have it pencil out.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    You're life will suck compared to Carmel. Everything is harder in San Jose, stores are far, traffic and parking a nightmare and crime is on the rise. You better be making bank to have it pencil out.
    Where in Silicon Valley is parking a nightmare?
    Crime is on the rise in the bad neighborhoods (east side of town) but San Jose is still one of the safest cities in the country.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzaro View Post
    I don't really know but with everybody buying doesn't that mean less folks are renting?
    "With everyone buying" means there are fewer places for rent. I rent out a room in Santa Clara and get more now than I did during the peak of the .com boom.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Quote Originally Posted by dugt View Post
    Where in Silicon Valley is parking a nightmare?
    Crime is on the rise in the bad neighborhoods (east side of town) but San Jose is still one of the safest cities in the country.
    Everywhere, at least during my 12 years in SJ. The city is still pretty safe, but cutting the police by 30 percent didn't exactly help San Jose.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Everywhere, at least during my 12 years in SJ. The city is still pretty safe, but cutting the police by 30 percent didn't exactly help San Jose.
    I rarely have trouble finding a parking spot here unless it is prime time and then I just have to walk a little further. Things have changed a lot here during my 35 years in Santa Clara but I still like it here. I still spend half my time here even though I have another house on a beautiful pond in Truckee.
    Last edited by dugt; 06-14-2014 at 05:21 PM.

PRETENDURO
    On my 36 pound (or thereabouts) fat heavy cruiser-slicked (24"x3.45") singlespeed “commuter” (Surly 1x1) it takes me roughly 1 hour and 4 minutes to get to 1st street/Tasman from Almaden Valley… roughly 18 miles. I live a convenient 3 miles from both Santa Teresa County Park as well as Almaden Quicksilver, and perhaps 4.2 miles from the Kennedy trailhead in Los Gatos. Plenty of options. Very rideable area whether it be for work or recreation. You’ll like it here… just be sure to move closer to the hills to get away from all the morons.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast