mtbr member

Coe Ride Sunday @ 930AM (6.8.08)

From the Hunting Hollow parking lot, rolling out by 0930.

The usual grind up Anza/Jackson/Blah Blah > Cross Canyon > Willow Ridge > Hoover Lake > beyond...probably be around a 4+ hour ride. Mellow pace; I stop a lot to shoot the breeze and look at bugs.

If you want to ride, just show up. To find us at the parking lot, just mention the code words HOOVER LAKE.

Last edited by Biking Brazilian; 06-07-2008 at 09:46 AM.

Slowest Rider

Definite Maybe

Maybe. You up for doing a 4++ hour ride if I come? If not, I might also come out and do my own ride. I know my way around.

I'd probably skip Cross Canyon and instead do Coit Rd. instead to keep pace. I just did Cross Canyon solo a couple months ago. And I prefer going Cross Canyon the other way because I can ride up the hill that way.

On return, are you going down White Tank Springs to Pacheco Camp? Or Willow Ridge Trail down to Narrows and Lost Spring up. Either would be fun. But I haven't seen Willow Ridge recently, so that would be interesting.
    It's not slow, it's doing more MTB time.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    We might be in. I wanna go but Dan is going to do his usual "I hate Coe" thing.
    Can we talk tires now?

banned
    Since Coe is allegedly 1.5 times harder than other Norcal MTB venues (according to detailed Big Larry "analysis"), does that mean the ride will be 6+ hours?

I would be there if it meant Cafe Brasil afterwards but alas, the geography doesn't work.

Slowest Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by The Law
    We might be in. I wanna go but Dan is going to do his usual "I hate Coe" thing.
    So by usual, does that means he'll go, enjoy the ride, but complain about it anyway?

Slowest Rider

Re-Pete'n Himself

Quote Originally Posted by urinal mint
    Since Coe is allegedly 1.5 times harder than other Norcal MTB venues (according to detailed Big Larry "analysis"), does that mean the ride will be 6+ hours?

I would be there if it meant Cafe Brasil afterwards but alas, the geography doesn't work.
    Long time, no harassment. But aren't you getting tired of the same old worn out chastisements? Don't you have anything better in your closet you haven't yet revealed?

I wondered where you'd been lately. Hanging around the bottom of the toilet enjoying the spew it seems.
    Last edited by BigLarry; 06-06-2008 at 11:37 PM.

TANSTAAFL
    do you mean 6.8.08 if so I would be interested I think

Jim
    "It is a bad sign when people stop identifying themselves with the county and start identifying with a group."

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BigLarry
    Long time, no harassment. But aren't you getting tired of the same old worn out chastisements?
    Not a chastisement, just the "facts," according to you. Yes, your crazy claim is still hilarious.

I wondered where you'd been lately. Hanging around the bottom of the toilet enjoying the spew it seems.
    Larry, if that was supposed to be cutting, or somehow funny, you failed once again.

If you've truly been wondering where I've been (which is creepy in and of itself) then you need to pay closer attention. I've never been gone sunshine...

Enjoy your ride, and be sure to bring 1.5 times as much water as you would for other rides. Coe is like that!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by addictionms
    do you mean 6.8.08 if so I would be interested I think

Jim
    Yes!

mtbr member
    Maybe. You up for doing a 4++ hour ride if I come? If not, I might also come out and do my own ride. I know my way around.

I'd probably skip Cross Canyon and instead do Coit Rd. instead to keep pace. I just did Cross Canyon solo a couple months ago. And I prefer going Cross Canyon the other way because I can ride up the hill that way.

On return, are you going down White Tank Springs to Pacheco Camp? Or Willow Ridge Trail down to Narrows and Lost Spring up. Either would be fun. But I haven't seen Willow Ridge recently, so that would be interesting.
    However long it takes, no worries.

White Tank Springs is actually where I want to go, from Hoover Lake. I've never been on it, so now's my chance. And who knows, maybe even take Rose Dam Pond Trail, head over to Pacheco Falls, then head back out?

I'm down for improvising after White Tank Springs.

Slowest Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by Biking Brazilian
    However long it takes, no worries.

White Tank Springs is actually where I want to go, from Hoover Lake. I've never been on it, so now's my chance. And who knows, maybe even take Rose Dam Pond Trail, head over to Pacheco Falls, then head back out?

I'm down for improvising after White Tank Springs.
    The White Tank Springs trail down to Pacheco Camp is a confusing zero track bush whacking. However some trail work was done recently that might make it nicer. I know the way if needed. Rose Dam is an alternative, but about the same as WTS.

Pacheco Falls would be fun to see, even though it'll be mostly dry this time of year. It makes a great winter rain ride though, as it's legal on the fire roads, and the falls are roaring as a reward. I've missed the turn off to the upper view the last couple visits, but I now know where it is and will only descend that far if the rest of you want to go down into the hole.

On the way back, after going to Pacheco Falls on Live Oak Springs, the usual return is Wagon Rd. with some great views. Depending on residual energy, we have two choices: steep fast descent down Lyman-Willson right to the parking. Or go down Tule Pond which is a fun fast single track downhill to Grizzly Gulch, which is a fun and more technical singletack above a stream, with a two mile road ride back to parking.

Looks like a fun ride. See you guys tomorrow!

King Of Tooth Tarter

Upon The Return

I might add to Larry's last post, after Tule Pond, you can turn left, go up Grizzly Gulch Trail and go up Serpentine Trail to the awesome Middle Steer Ridge. You can't go wrong with this trail. The only wrong-ness is going up Serpentine Trail. That's a brutal climb.

I'll be out there but I'll be going deep. Have fun and bring a water filter. It's going to be warm tomorrow. Plenty of water and food. Coe is usually hotter than anywhere else.

Roy.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by plymmer
    I might add to Larry's last post, after Tule Pond, you can turn left, go up Grizzly Gulch Trail and go up Serpentine Trail to the awesome Middle Steer Ridge. You can't go wrong with this trail. The only wrong-ness is going up Serpentine Trail. That's a brutal climb.

I'll be out there but I'll be going deep. Have fun and bring a water filter. It's going to be warm tomorrow. Plenty of water and food. Coe is usually hotter than anywhere else.

Roy.
    I've been doing a HH > Lyman Willson > Steer Ridge Road > Wilson Peak Trail > Grizzly Gulch > Serpentine > Steer Ridge Road > Spike Jones > Timm Trail > HH loop on Tuesday evenings.

A downhill of note is Spike Jones. I just did it downhill for the first time a few weeks ago. What a sweet trail!

Once we get to Hoover Lake, I'm game for whichever way the majority wants to go. It's all good.

See you all in the morning. Let's try to roll for sure by 0930. I have a water purifier--not filter. I'll also pack a few Lunchables in the pack just in case.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    I'm a no vote on Pacheco.
    Can we talk tires now?

Slowest Rider
    Should I infer that you and/or Dan is coming? Or you're just voting to have a voice?

I'm fine going in any direction that involves mountain biking.

Convenient places to get water are Pacheco Camp or the Narrows, depending on the final direction. Anyone know the current availability of water at these locations? Otherwise, we'll have to detour down to Coit Lake.

mtbr member
    Falls and/or Camp? Doesn't bother me, just curious.

As long as I hit White Tank Springs, I'll be happy. I just want to check it off my Places To Ride At Coe List.

And I recommend going down Spike Jones and Timm. Timm has a few log obstacles--you'd almost think you were in North Shore.

Slowest Rider
    Falls and/or Camp? Doesn't bother me, just curious.

As long as I hit White Tank Springs, I'll be happy. I just want to check it off my Places To Ride At Coe List.

And I recommend going down Spike Jones and Timm. Timm has a few log obstacles--you'd almost think you were in North Shore.
    In order to go down White Tank Springs, you'll hit one 'Pacheco' or another (Camp, Creek, Falls,..) or maybe several Pacheco's. So The Law appears to favor going toward the Narrows, down Willow Ridge Trail. Have you done that singletrack yet?

I agree about Spike Jones and Timm being great fun trails. OTOH, they're close to the entrance so you can do them as a separate loop anytime.

See you all in the morning. Let's try to roll for sure by 0930. I have a water purifier--not filter. I'll also pack a few Lunchables in the pack just in case.
    I'll try to head out ~20 minutes early, as soon as others show up, so we can keep a good pace on the ride. I have a spare radio so we can coordinate.

I have a good water filter that get's plenty of use at Henry Coe. Especially tomorrow when it will hit 90. Hopefully we'll be back before it hits that peak in the afternoon. And most all the climbing will be in the cooler morning.

As Roy says, extra food and water at Henry Coe is usually not extra.

Slowest Rider
    Anyone know the current availability of water at these locations? Otherwise, we'll have to detour down to Coit Lake.
    Henry Coe afficianoado, Plymmer, just emailed me the the latest on water levels:
    "There is still water at Hoover Lake. It's getting low but you could filter water there. There is water at China Hole and the Narrows also. So, you have your choice.
    All water at Coe should be filtered except the water at Dowdy Ranch out of the drinking fountains. Pacheco Camp water should be filtered also."

Looks like there'll be no problem in finding water refill along any route. No special trip to Coit Lake is needed.

Slowest Rider

Carpool

If anyone wants to carpool, let me know and I'll stop and pick you up.

Slowest Rider

Aha!

Looking over the route on my maps tonight, I saw a way we might be able to satisfy BOTH The Law and Biking Brazilian in a fun singletrack route!

We could go down Coit Ridge Trail, a delightful high speed downhill singletrack. Then ride back up White Tank Springs, which isn't as steep, ~500' climb over 1.8 miles. Then hit Hoover Lake.

Best of all, we come very close, yet don't hit a single 'Pacheco'.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    We went out to Pacheco Falls once. It was disappointing compared to the hype. See you all shortly, assuming I can get Dan motivated.
    Can we talk tires now?

aka dan51
    We went out to Pacheco Falls once. It was disappointing compared to the hype. See you all shortly, assuming I can get Dan motivated.
    I don't do well in heat, so prepare yourselves for that.

Pacheco Falls was the WORST ride I ever did at Coe. Totally not worth it IMO. Might not have been as bad if we were hiking and had on proper hiking gear.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Wow does the heat make a difference at Coe. I'm beat! But it was well worth it. Saw some new flowers today. And the ladybug land experience was super cool.
    Can we talk tires now?

aka dan51
    Here's some pics.
    Attached Images Attached Images

aka dan51
    more pics
    It was way too hot for Coe for me.
    I'm glad we chose the bailout route, I ran out of water shortly after the climb out of cross canyon.

I'm a "she".
    Quote Originally Posted by dan51
    Here's some pics.
    Wow, I love that picture! It's really unique. Just curious. What camera do you use (light enough to carry on a Coe ride?), and what settings did you use to take that picture?
    Inch by inch, I will get there...
    ride reports | tracks | photos
    Green Chiclets are my favorite candy.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by dan51
    Here's some pics.

Someone needs to calibrate their cyclocomputer and/or apply some common sense to an erroneous reading like that.

aka dan51
    Someone needs to calibrate their cyclocomputer and/or apply some common sense to an erroneous reading like that.
    It only read like that after the sun beat on it for 20 minutes while climbing.
    After taking a break in the shade for 15 minutes it read 95, along with 2 other computers. Regardless of the reading, it was 1.5 times too hot for me.

Quote Originally Posted by mudworm
    Wow, I love that picture! It's really unique. Just curious. What camera do you use (light enough to carry on a Coe ride?), and what settings did you use to take that picture?
    It's a Canon A710 IS. It was just set to automatic when I took it. The camera has done me well.

Slowest Rider

Ride-Killing Heat

The Henry Coe heat was a ride killer today. Although the weather prediction was for a peak of 90 in the afternoon, I was surprised to see 90 F at 11AM when climbing Jackson! Around noon it was already low 90s in the shady spots with a breeze. But climbing the exposed white reflecting hills with little wind could easily become a blast furnace, with temperatures over 100 F.

I was feeling good around 1PM and wanted to ride a little further, but willingly accepted Dan51's suggestion to bail as rapidly as possible. It was a good thing as many of us ran out of water in the last hour, and a couple of us were crawling back. I went from feeling good to feeling sick in the space of an hour on the way back. Frankly, I started thinking about the 0gre and Fiona's fateful day, and how fast such things can compound and get out of control. I'm now glad we all bailed as quickly as possible. Thanks Dan!

Although we expected to ride around 30 miles and 6000' of climb, I only did 20 miles and 4000' with the bail. I also averaged about 5.0 MPH moving, versus 7.5 MPH at Quicksilver, Santa Teresa, and Sierra Azul. We expected to ride 4 hours, but instead rode 6. What's that Henry Coe-factor again?

banned
    What's that Henry Coe-factor again?
    It really depends upon which Coe dweeb is spouting nonsense at the time.

Fortunately, rational folks with a broad base of riding experiences simply chuckle at folks who claim that Coe riding is "1.5 times harder than other riding."

TANSTAAFL
    It really depends upon which Coe dweeb is spouting nonsense at the time.

Fortunately, rational folks with a broad base of riding experiences simply chuckle at folks who claim that Coe riding is "1.5 times harder than other riding."
    one thing for sure, all things being equal.....its the same

Jim
    "It is a bad sign when people stop identifying themselves with the county and start identifying with a group."

Slowest Rider

More Pictures

I left a little early and got a shot of some other riders passing me on Jackson. I then took a 'shortcut' via Kelly Lake trail that was maybe longer but significantly less difficult than Cross Canyon, and reached the other side with an hour to spare. I took advantage of the time to find a shady spot without weeds because of the pine needles, a nice cooling breeze, and a view. Everyone else went for it too. But it was still 90-92 F in this shade according to our three meters. It was a blast furnace outside the shade.

1. MikeB, Biking Brazilian, and Stichnot climbing Jackson
    2. Biking Brazilian and MikeB climbing Cross Canyon.
    3. The Law riding 'pretty'
    4. Stichnot, Dan51, AddictionMS chilling
    5. The Law sitting pretty, and removing a troublesome pine cone
    6. Biking Brazilian and MikeB parting ways to go out in the blast furnace to Hoover Lake, the original destination. We bailed at this point and later were very glad we did. I hope they did alright. I had the better filter, but they had a purifier, that was surely needed.

mtbr member
    We made it. The heat was definitely a factor. But we grabbed it by the neck and told it who its daddy was.

The tipping point was Coit Ridge Trail. I cleaned it. About 20 yards of it. Then it was an arduous 1.5-mile uphill walk; if someone claims they've cleaned this trail, like "King of Kong," I'll call BS until I see proof on video.

We "had" to go this way since we ran out of water, ironically, at White Tank Springs. Although I trust my purifier, there was no way I was dunking it in that algae-infested cesspool. So up we went...when we finally got to Coit Lake, we bathed and refilled the CamelBaks, then carried on up Coit Road to Crosscut then out on Wagon to Camp Willson, then down Lyman back to the car.

And to nobody's surprise, Plymmer's car was still there when we left, as it was there when we arrived. He wasn't lying when he said he's "going deep." At first I thought he was going on a hot date, but it was just another (hot) day at Coe.

Here is the MB map that my GPS data logger picked up: http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/e...kValue=5929082

My watch, which is more accurate, said we did 4,800 ft. for the day.

Great riding with everyone today!

I "heart" Coe.

What do we have here, another Pete on this thread?!

Slowest Rider
    We made it. The heat was definitely a factor. But we grabbed it by the neck and told it who its daddy was.

The tipping point was Coit Ridge Trail. I cleaned it. About 20 yards of it. Then it was an arduous 1.5-mile uphill walk; if someone claims they've cleaned this trail, like "King of Kong," I'll call BS until I see proof on video.

We "had" to go this way since we ran out of water, ironically, at White Tank Springs. Although I trust my purifier, there was no way I was dunking it in that algae-infested cesspool. So up we went...when we finally got to Coit Lake, we bathed and refilled the CamelBaks, then carried on up Coit Road to Crosscut then out on Wagon to Camp Willson, then down Lyman back to the car.

And to nobody's surprise, Plymmer's car was still there when we left, as it was there when we arrived. He wasn't lying when he said he's "going deep." At first I thought he was going on a hot date, but it was just another (hot) day at Coe.

Here is the MB map that my GPS data logger picked up: http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/e...kValue=5929082

My watch, which is more accurate, said we did 4,800 ft. for the day.

Great riding with everyone today!

I "heart" Coe.

What do we have here, another Pete on this thread?!
    I'm glad to see you made it back.

Plymmer is probably out there doing one of his normal weekender's - about 2 or 3 of your big ride today. He has my favorite old GPS to keep him company.

Motion Based Gravity Web estimates altitude from position. So position error can lead to big altitude noise, especially in steep hills like Henry Coe. Gravity Web can easily overestimate climb by 30% as you see. However, Motion Based can be the most accurate estimates of climb if you feed MB good altitude data from a barometric altimeter. (Satellite altimeters can add up to 1000'/hour of climb due to error noise.)

You climbed about 1000' more than me, so 4800' sounds about right.

It was fun to ride with you guys again, and everyone else. It started out good, and ended alright. What else can you say? A good MTB day.

Fun to see everyone today, and 'chill out' at the top of Cross Canyon.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005

I "heart" Coe.
    Me too.

Hey, just curious-- what time did you all get back to your cars?

Dan, those pics would look better with black borders...
    Can we talk tires now?

mtbr member
    Me too.

Hey, just curious-- what time did you all get back to your cars?

Dan, those pics would look better with black borders...
    I think we got back about 4:30. We were pretty spent, and ready to get some place cooler. Good ride though, and Coit Lake saved us. I don't think we would have made with out the refill of water. It was surprisingly tasty.

It was cool meeting everyone!

Good pics!

Mike
    See you at the top!

More pie please
    Thanks for the puffballmania, Dan - cool!

Yesterday I created this parody of my body of photographic "art" - puffballs through the spokes with black border:

///Charlie

King Of Tooth Tarter

Going Deep

Partial Stats of my Ride:

Start: 8:45 AM
    End: 7:00 PM
    Total Miles: 53.83 Miles
    Partial Ascent: around 8K (I'll have to re-evaluate this. It could've been more but 3 sets of batteries wasn't enough even though they were all charged. Sigh.)

It was real hot out there and I went so deep that I took an extended break at Wasno Road and Wagon Road. I really didn't think I could go any farther. I wanted someone to take me back to my bed and tuck me in. Dead. Maybe they could have feed me too. I rested for a full 1/2 hour.

I did manage to finish off on Grizzly Gulch Trail (as Charlie says, the rejuvenating trail) slower than usual. Every slight hill was difficult but I managed to "suck it up" and get to the end. At the car I rested for another 20 minutes. Ah, the brutality. I'm not near the level I was last year. My fault was, I went so deep that I didn't have time to swim to cool off. I was worried I wouldn't finish and get caught in the dark. I forgot my mininewt light so that was a factor. My legs seemed not too bad but I was feeling a bit sick and sort of spinny.

After a big meal at Giancarlos in Morgen Hill I was feeling more human.

I'm glad every one else was able to get out there. Hell, even Dan51! I guess he really does like the place. Plenty of chance to hone his expert photography skills. Good reports everyone. I always enjoy them.

Long live Coe!

Roy.

Slowest Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by plymmer
    Partial Stats of my Ride:

Start: 8:45 AM
    End: 7:00 PM
    Total Miles: 53.83 Miles
    Partial Ascent: around 8K (I'll have to re-evaluate this. It could've been more but 3 sets of batteries wasn't enough even though they were all charged. Sigh.)

It was real hot out there and I went so deep that I took an extended break at Wasno Road and Wagon Road. I really didn't think I could go any farther. I wanted someone to take me back to my bed and tuck me in. Dead. Maybe they could have feed me too. I rested for a full 1/2 hour.

I did manage to finish off on Grizzly Gulch Trail (as Charlie says, the rejuvenating trail) slower than usual. Every slight hill was difficult but I managed to "suck it up" and get to the end. At the car I rested for another 20 minutes. Ah, the brutality. I'm not near the level I was last year. My fault was, I went so deep that I didn't have time to swim to cool off. I was worried I wouldn't finish and get caught in the dark. I forgot my mininewt light so that was a factor. My legs seemed not too bad but I was feeling a bit sick and sort of spinny.

After a big meal at Giancarlos in Morgen Hill I was feeling more human.

I'm glad every one else was able to get out there. Hell, even Dan51! I guess he really does like the place. Plenty of chance to hone his expert photography skills. Good reports everyone. I always enjoy them.

Long live Coe!

Roy.
    Roy, I cleaned your tracks and then uploaded to Motion Based for analysis here. The MB results are:

45 miles / 8800' climb/ 6:30 moving/ 8:40 total time

Your power cut out at Wagon and Crest. I suspect you had another 500-700' of climb on Wagon and Grizzly. So with your miles you measured separately, I suspect you did:

54 miles / ~9500' climb/ 8:00 moving/ 10:30 total time

You indeed went deep - about twice as deep as Orestimba Camp which I consider to be on the edge of known Henry Coe. And it looks like the route you took was fairly straight and minimal hills for Henry Coe. Interesting.

I'm impressed you did that much riding in that intense heat. I did less than half of your ride and I was fairly beat at the end as well. I still need to get more accustomed to heat riding this season.

We need to look at your batteries and chargers, as you should have lasted a couple days per pair of AAs on the eTrex Vista, not minutes. And there's other small issues I see in the tracks that I'll discuss directly off line. But thanks for giving my Vista a nice ride. It needed that.

BTW, here's my ride on Motion Based from Sunday.

19.5 miles / 4050' / 3:40 moving / 5:37 total

Members who have read this thread: 0