Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    aka dan51

Coe ride Saturday 4/20. 9:30 @ Hunting Hollow

Meet at 9:30 and ride.
    Route is undetermined, but will include lots of good single track.
    Pace will be mellow, with much time spent relaxing and throwing rocks into creeks or ponds, and just generally enjoying the park.

Hopefully the creeks still have some water and the flowers are blooming.
    Last edited by d-bug; 04-19-2013 at 01:43 PM. Reason: day change
    Those who know, ride a Mojo AND a Mojo HD.
    Quadzilla
    Quote Originally Posted by benja55
    Ok, whatever, cold water on my bike boner right there.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    I am planning on a ride there on Saturday 4/20 to explore some of the trails that I have not been on - using 2011 GetLost's Rogaine map. To start preparing for nighttime Trex @Coe, while it is not hot.

I will ride fairly slowly, as I usually do, but will not throw rocks into ponds. Would not mind if somebody joins me - ping me. I will be there around 9:10 to 9:30, silver wagon car, probably white/grey Rotwild bike (or Motobecane hardtail). I am thinking whether I should start from Bell's station entrance instead, for a change.
    Last edited by Axe; 04-18-2013 at 12:16 PM.

middle ring single track

Drying up fast...

Coe still has water in most creeks but the flow is dropping quickly; the grasses on the south-facing slopes are fading but there's still a lot of wildflowers in bloom.

As far as riding in from Bell Station on Saturday the 20th a couple of things to consider; the Kaiser Aetna Road was just graded this week so it's relatively smooth (but loose and dusty); but moreover the 20th is the prep work day for the following weekend's "Henry W Coe Back Country Weekend"---so there'll be a lot vehicle traffic AM and PM (see dusty!)

Here's some photos of Coe's Eastern area from yesterday:

Bike leaning on the NEW! signpost at the top of Dormida Tr.

Scherrer Pond

Illegal cattle at Mack's Corral!

Flowers at Dowdy
    The views and opinions expressed here are those of the author and do not represent any policy of the CA Dept. of Parks & Rec.

Is now still the time?

Good job!

D-Bug, I'm itching to go out there again and hit some sweet single track! Maybe I'll join you on Sunday? Well, only if Saturdays exertions are not too demanding, and I get a hall pass. I've been riding rigid ss mostly lately, but a trip on the boinger bike and trails for the boing would be most welcome.

Pliebenberg, I am very envious of your ride on the wild south side of the park because it looks like the the first year out of thirteen that I won't be doing camping/mountain bike weekends in the second half of April in the park.

There's a lot of terrible stuff going down in the world right now. On top of that, those of lucky to have family, have family drama as well. I do! How dare the world interfere!

Wah! I missed my ride today because a driver hit my wife when she was getting out of the car! Her car door and part of the car was ruined. Sheriffs showed up, and later so did I. She declined ambulance and I took her to the hospital. No broken bones. Phew. Just bruises like you'd get from an mtb crash.

Riding is not so important...it's more important!!!
    SOrCerer

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I'll try to join you. I think I haven't been to Coe this year.
    Correct number of bikes: n+1 bikes
    Correct body weight: m-10 pounds

King Of Tooth Tarter

Signs

Quote Originally Posted by pliebenberg View Post
    Coe still has water in most creeks but the flow is dropping quickly; the grasses on the south-facing slopes are fading but there's still a lot of wildflowers in bloom.

As far as riding in from Bell Station on Saturday the 20th a couple of things to consider; the Kaiser Aetna Road was just graded this week so it's relatively smooth (but loose and dusty); but moreover the 20th is the prep work day for the following weekend's "Henry W Coe Back Country Weekend"---so there'll be a lot vehicle traffic AM and PM (see dusty!)

Here's some photos of Coe's Eastern area from yesterday:

Bike leaning on the NEW! signpost at the top of Dormida Tr.

Scherrer Pond

Illegal cattle at Mack's Corral!

Flowers at Dowdy
    Holy moly! Sign post at Dormida. Hopefully the destination on the sign says something unhelpful like the distance to the main entrance.

Scherrer Pond is looking mighty swimmable. That's one you have to catch early.

Cow's on Mac's! Noooooooo! I've never seen them out there. Last I saw they were in the Phegley area. Anything we can do to prevent that? Did they hoof-up the trail?

It is getting dry quick. Last week out there hiking I couldn't believe how dry certain areas were. Thanks for the report.

Have a good ride Dan et al. My weekend's too busy to do a Coe double.

Roy.

aka dan51
    UPDATE: This is moving to Saturday, same time.
    Weather will be cooler, and other things are having me reschedule it.
    Quadzilla

middle ring single track

Nome, Alaska: 2358 miles...

Quote Originally Posted by plymmer View Post
    Holy moly! Sign post at Dormida. Hopefully the destination on the sign says something unhelpful like the distance to the main entrance.

Cow's on Mac's! Noooooooo! I've never seen them out there. Last I saw they were in the Phegley area. Anything we can do to prevent that? Did they hoof-up the trail?

It is getting dry quick. Last week out there hiking I couldn't believe how dry certain areas were. Thanks for the report.

Have a good ride Dan et al. My weekend's too busy to do a Coe double.

Roy.
    ...well it took the (surviving) "Pliny the Eder Henry W Coe SP Missing Marker Contest" lads (volunteers) 2-1/2 years give or take to finally get permission to put the post in the ground ever since it was reported as an entry in the aforementioned contest (entered by ratpick solved by Fast Eddy). The official placards (I have no idea what they will say) may or may not exist so if Ranger Cam has to order them it could be another year or so before they get installed.

In the meanwhile the temporary wording is:

Pretty sweet arrow; eh!?!? Drawed it myself...
    The views and opinions expressed here are those of the author and do not represent any policy of the CA Dept. of Parks & Rec.

middle ring single track
    Quote Originally Posted by plymmer View Post

Roy.
    Almost forgot, yeah the water in Scherrer was fairly clear still but rather the color of strongly-brewed Lipton's. Weeds present but not too bad; I went there to see if I could catch one of the bass allegedly in the pond---no luck with bass but there are a few large and very scrappy sunfish in there. BTW is it safe to cannonball off that big rock???

Re the cattle they had gone no further west than the field at Mack's Corral; but North Fork is pretty rough from previous equestrian traffic and this past winter's cloudbursts really eroded out some of the crossings at side canyons. If you like technical I guess it's a good thing. I think the cows had come up the Pacheco Creek Canyon from the east; my approach scared them back in that direction; the rangers have been notified FWIW.

loopy counter
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorcerer View Post
    D-Bug, I'm itching to go out there again and hit some sweet single track! Maybe I'll join you on Sunday? Well, only if Saturdays exertions are not too demanding, and I get a hall pass. I've been riding rigid ss mostly lately, but a trip on the boinger bike and trails for the boing would be most welcome.

Pliebenberg, I am very envious of your ride on the wild south side of the park because it looks like the the first year out of thirteen that I won't be doing camping/mountain bike weekends in the second half of April in the park.

There's a lot of terrible stuff going down in the world right now. On top of that, those of lucky to have family, have family drama as well. I do! How dare the world interfere!

Wah! I missed my ride today because a driver hit my wife when she was getting out of the car! Her car door and part of the car was ruined. Sheriffs showed up, and later so did I. She declined ambulance and I took her to the hospital. No broken bones. Phew. Just bruises like you'd get from an mtb crash.

Riding is not so important...it's more important!!!
    Whoa. Hope Chris is okay!

I have been thinking about those backcountry "clean ups" too. Here's some good memories: Scenes from a Backcountry Weekend, 2010 - YouTube As a compromise, I have been thinking about taking advantage of the weekend Dowdy openings. Possibly an overnighter.

As for Saturday, not sure if I want to spectate at Sea Otter, or see other. The pull of Coe in Spring is might be more powerful.

mtbr member
    Maybe we will see ya out there somewhere, will be doing a point to point ending at El Toro brewery,
    expected arrival at El Toro around 5 to 6PM, Beer will be drunk, stop by!

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Sorry, I can't ride Saturday.
    Correct number of bikes: n+1 bikes
    Correct body weight: m-10 pounds

~~~

Quote Originally Posted by d-bug View Post
    Pace will be mellow, with much time spent relaxing and throwing rocks into creeks or ponds, and just generally enjoying the park.
    Sounds like a perfect pace for a ride on 4/20.

I'm in. See you there!

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    It's Dan's birthday tomorrow btw.
    See you all soon.
    Can we talk tires now?

~~~

Coe Factor in full effect. No Sea Otter traffic, but no free schwag either. Unless you like ticks. Plenty of those to go around.

As usual, it was awesome out there! Thanks for the ride guys and gal! And Happy Birthday d-bug!

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Phew. I'm hungry.
    Can we talk tires now?

Let's ride SuperModerator
    Hey, Happy Bday Dan. Sorry I just saw this thread, but couldn't have made it anyway. Hope Coe delivered for you.

More Torque

Happy b-day, Dan! Good to see you guys out there.

-D

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by tburger View Post
    As usual, it was awesome out there!
    I got there late, with a plan to check few trails I have not been before (for a reason, apparently). Started up by "riding" up Middle Steer to Wilson, down Serpentine. Then the plan was to check Tule Pond - in the wrong direction, Crest and all of Kelly lake trail and Cullen trail, and ride around Coit lake. Well, I can't ride up some of this stuff, apparently. Ouch.

mtbr member
    Happy birthday dan we where sure hoping you guys would be back at the parking area when we got back to hunting hollow as we where cooked! we would have gladly bought beers and burgers for any one willing to drive us to El Toro, we got to El toro about 15 minutes after the sun dropped below the hills, killer!

Self portrait from the end of the ride

Coe Montercross light by tahoebc at Garmin Connect - Details
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Coe ride Saturday 4/20. 9:30 @ Hunting Hollow-dscf7736.jpg  

Last edited by TahoeBC; 04-20-2013 at 10:33 PM.

aka dan51
    Great ride today. Thanks for the bday wishes.
    It was much hotter than I liked or expected. Our detour into the creek at the end was well deserved and needed.
    Quadzilla

~~~
    20 miles, 4000 ft. Hot weather, grueling climbs, ticks, snakes, poison oak, and a whole lot of awesome.

Coe ride Saturday 4/20. 9:30 @ Hunting Hollow-img_1303.jpg

Coe ride Saturday 4/20. 9:30 @ Hunting Hollow-img_1311.jpg

Coe ride Saturday 4/20. 9:30 @ Hunting Hollow-img_1312.jpg

Coe ride Saturday 4/20. 9:30 @ Hunting Hollow-img_1315.jpg

Coe ride Saturday 4/20. 9:30 @ Hunting Hollow-img_1329.jpg

Is now still the time?

Happy MonteCross Birthday Dan!

Happy Birthday weekend Dan!

Exactly at 9:05pm when the gang pulled into el Toro's brew pub they flipped the sign to closed! ...so we went to el Grullo and settled for better food and Modelo's.

For a recovery ride Sunday (the original date for this ride) I got down to Coe for an SS ride up JDT and down MSR. It was just fabulous.

It's so dry.

Tour de Swimholes will be curtailed to the three big ponds plus perhaps a distant one this year. Maybe that's a good thing?

Heard rumors about the Solstice 10k. It might be called: "The It Could Be Worse Henry W. Coe 10k". Get your footies ready.
    Last edited by Sorcerer; 04-21-2013 at 10:59 PM. Reason: swinholies
    SOrCerer

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorcerer View Post
    For a recovery ride Sunday (the original date for this ride) I got down to Coe for an SS ride up JDT and down MSR. It was just fabulous.
    That must have been you yelling across the canyon looking for Philip. Sorry I didn't recognize you. It wasn't until you hammered up the trail out of the saddle that I thought it might be you on your single speed.

Had you gone down Spike Jones instead, you would have found what you were searching for.

Is now still the time?
    Boop!
    SOrCerer

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast