mtbr member

Coe Kitten ride report and pics

When TahoeBC mentioned the Coe Kitten ride I figured joining it would allow me to sleep in a bit longer than my original plan for the day would let me (driving up to Tahoe to ski). Alas, the short sightedness of my decision! +40k miles and +10k feet elevation gain was what it would take to save the kittens, and all this without chairlifts.

Charlie (Skyline35?), Plim, Rensho and Roy (Plymmer?) were up for the task as well. We took off at 8am, went up, down, up, down etc etc while enjoying some wonderful singletrack descents and less-than-wonderful 30 degree grade hike-a-bikes through tick-infested grasslands, but it was all good, and very tiring.

Both TahoeBC's and my GPS died a couple of miles before the end (battery) so the Vasquez party's ride wasn't entirely recorded (I may do some retracing of the last part using topo data) but at the time my Garmin Edge died I'm happy to report the kittens were already safe:

Distance (mi) 39.2
    Total Ascent (ft) 10526

Total is probably 43 miles and 11000 ft.

Photos!

TahoeBC and Plim on Jackson

Rensho getting wet feet

Plim dives in, while TahoeBC chastizes his capricious seat

Charlie making a splash

Interesting critters everywhere

Rensho zipping by

Tick #329

Rensho taking on a (rotting) log

Creek/swamp crossing

Map Tick showing us the way

Vasquez deliberation

Roy and TahoeBC down in the 'hellhole'...

Agony on Vasquez

Beer! Chips! Mango salsa! (courtesy TahoeBC)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ElHombre
    Both TahoeBC's and my GPS died a couple of miles before the end (battery)
    Mine went just slightly longer than yours, died about 200 yards after turning onto the Red Fern pond trail.

Thanks for dragging along the Camera!

Here is what my GPS software said: 10,836 with just a little more climbing to go at this pont

Last edited by TahoeBC; 04-22-2007 at 12:20 PM.
    Go get that KOM "You Deserve" - http://www.digitalepo.com/index.php

mtbr member

Coe

Can you put your rout on a map or Gogle so we can see where you were? The Bell Station entrance opens soon and I plan on going back in that way and hucking up with some west side sections.

Thanks

Markatrog

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Markatrog
    Can you put your rout on a map or Gogle so we can see where you were? The Bell Station entrance opens soon and I plan on going back in that way and hucking up with some west side sections.

Thanks

Markatrog
    Not sure if this works but let's try:

Alternatively try this link:

This was the route recorded by Plim's GPS; another part of the group went on Vasquez towards the end. Check with the Coe experts but I think this route was roughly: HH-Anza,Jackson, Elderberry, Cattle Duster, Cross Canyon, Willow, White Tank, Rose Dam, Coit, County Line, Orestimba Creek, Mustang cut-off, Dutch, Yellow Jacket, Tie Down, North Fork, Max's Corral (ouch), Kaiser Aetna, Burra Burra, Vasquez, Long Dam, Phegley, HH.
    Plim and co went I think on Center Flats, Tule, Grizzly Gulch etc instead of Vasquez (probably a much better route as Vasquez is a hike-a-bike fest).

Let's ride
    Sure is nice to get yur buttt handed to you every once in a while.

I was at a loss and quite indecisive as to what bike to bring; SIR9 steel HT with Reba fork and 1x9, or One9 SS full rigid.
    I was happy with my decision, as I hadn't ridden the SIR9 in over 10months.
    Pros: gears, sussy fork, One9 needed rear brake pads
    Cons: not set up for me, not SS.
    It sure was nice to not get pounded on the downhills, getting full use of the fork. I reset the travel o-ring, and even with high PSI, low sag that i like to run, I maxed out the 80mm travel.
    Next time SS.

These guys are such strong riders, I was happy to just hang at the back.

Coe has some really good riding. You pay to play, but it is really good.

Bonus question: How much milkshake can Skyline35 drink after 10,000ft of Coe riding?
    1. 16oz
    2. 20oz
    3. 32oz
    4. 48oz
    5. 64oz (that's 1/2 gallon folks)
    6. More than In/Out will sell to a single customer

Cast your votes. Charlie will let us know after he wakes up from his frosty coma.

1. Some smiles
    2. Kermit was pooped and just fell over panting.
    3. ElHombre hitting the log
    4. Plim says, 'this is a no hucking ride. Let me show you'
    5. Skyline35 loses his head
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by rensho; 04-22-2007 at 11:10 AM.

Let's ride
    1. We ran out of virgins to sacrifice, so Plymmer made do with a Coe shuffle at the Corral.
    2. The new, soon to be open, station was rest stop after a hell climb. (Everyone is trying out Skyline35's patented leg dangling technique for erasing Coe pain)
    3. Time to high tail it home, after a awesome set of rollers and awesomer ST descent!
    4. Plim puts his head down and hammers on the road section to the parking lot
    5. Some big numbers.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by rensho; 10-25-2007 at 09:27 PM.

new and improved
    sick ride.

I haven't seen one of those Schwinn sweet spot thingies in a while. Glad to see that my 4 banger and Homegrown aren't the only Schwinns left on the planet.

More pie please

Operation Save the Kitties

Wow! Fun group and a big, big, big ride!!! Thank's TahoeBC for organizing this and being a very tolerant Ride Tyrant for the day. But no thanks for giving me a huge, pre-ride case of performance anxiety (hah!):

Route: Start at Hunting Hollow > Gilroy Hot Springs Road > Coit Road > Anza Trail > Jackson Trail > Elderberry Trail > Rock Tower Trail > Domino Pond Trail > Cattle Duster Trail > Coit Springs Trail > No name connector trail > Cross Canyon Trail > Willow Ridge Road > Hoover Lake Trail > White Tank Trail > Rose Dam Trail > Pacheco Creek Trail > Coit Road > Pacheco Ridge Road > Phoneline Trail > Coit Road > County Line Road > Dutch's Trail > Yellowjacket Trail > Tie Down Trail > North Fork Trail > up Mack's Corral to Dowdy Ranch > Kaiser Aetna Road > Burra Burra Trail > Center Flats Road > Wagon Road > Wasno Road > Tule Pond Trail > Grizzly Gulch Trail/Road > up Coit Road > up Grapevine Trail to 9,800' mark > Coit Road > Gilroy Hot Springs Road > to Hunting Hollow parking

Thanks for posting the pictures ElHombre and rensho. No pics from me, I didn't carry a camera. I knew it was going to be a big day so I left a few things out of my Camelback. So I'll write some stuff: Preparations for next weekend's Backcountry Weekend was evident by the trail work crews, extra porta potties and garbage cans. I had read on the romp list that Paul Nam & crew had done some recent work a few trails so we added Phoneline, North Fork, and Mack's Corral to TahoeBC's route (nice trail-work guys, thanks!). Phoneline and North Fork were fun but I'm not recommending anyone go up Mack's Corral Trail like we did (it looked like it's gonna be a fun downhill though). The Dowdy Visitor Center is a great place for a longish break. "Map Tick showing us the way" photo: it was at this stop when we had the map out to decide how best to get to the beginning of Vasquez Trail that someone put one of their ticks on the map and said "We'll go whichever way the tick crawls!" Too funny!!! In spite of what the tick "said", we took the Burra Burra Trail. At the intersection of Center Flats and Vasquez Trail there was a very light spinkle. Here the group split, TahoeBC, ElHombre, and plymmer went deep into the Cañada de la Dormida—I'm not sure of their exact route from there—Plim, rensho, and myself whimped out by continuing on Center Flats (still an ugly fate!). In the "Vasquez deliberation" photo, Plim and myself have our heads hung low as we inform our Leader that we are defecting. Also at this place, Plim discovered a broken spoke on his rear wheel. It seemed to be okay but soon that spoke wrapped it's self into the cassette. We unraveled that, zip-tied it in place, and was no further problem. We survived Center Flat and enjoyed Tule Pond/Grizzly Gulch but at the end, we were only at 9,400'. It was beginning to rain lightly but we had to Save the Kittens so we turned uphill on Coit and Grapevine until Mike saw 9,800' on the display (there were some rollers between us and the parking lot that would cover the 200' shortfall). At this point all I could think about was a big vanilla milkshake. Finally, back at the Hunting Hollow parking lot; the Vasquez group had beat us back by a large margin, they had changed clothes, loaded up, and were enjoying chips&salsa and beverages. Plim's gps read 10,073'. On the way to In&Out, the rain began pouring. At In&Out, I got two extra-large vanilla milkshakes. One for the meal and one for the very rainy drive home. Mistake!!!!! My stomach bloated out like after eating too much on Thanksgiving. For all my post-ride pain, my stomach hurt the worst. I have no self-restraint!

///Charlie
    Last edited by Skyline35; 04-22-2007 at 11:40 AM. Reason: to fix typos

mtbr member

Best ride yet!

I'm so jealous, Biobob and i want to go on the next adventure, soulds like sweet pian.

Markatrog

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by El Santo
    sick ride.

I haven't seen one of those Schwinn sweet spot thingies in a while. Glad to see that my 4 banger and Homegrown aren't the only Schwinns left on the planet.
    That sucker has been sitting around for awhile, I bought it new 10 years ago, the only original parts are the seatpost and the rear v-brake. Pieced it back together for this ride, while I wait on Ellsworth to warranty the frame. I cant get the bushings any more so I wrapped them with masking tape and pounded them back it, unbelievably they held up for the whole ride. Checked the bushings today while washing it off and there is no play at all, Yea masking tape!

Charlie, your to dam funny, like a kid in a candy store

Thanks all for coming along on this crazy route and suggesting extra bonus sections

And to anyone considering the Vasquez Hell Hole, there really is nothing good about it unless your really into suffering, which is probably why this was Roys 4th time into the pit.

From Vasquez we ended up hitting Long Dam->Wagon->Phegley Ridge>Hunting Hollow Road.
    Last edited by TahoeBC; 04-22-2007 at 12:29 PM.

Slowest Rider

Excellent Adventure Guys!

Wow You officially did about two of my typical Henry Coe epics in one day! Looks like you had a nice ride too. Some exploring through hell spots too, but that's what Henry Coe is all about.

I can't believe anyone would try that route without a full set of gears considering the steep hillls. Only thing sillier would be to start with a bike held together by masking tape. From out deep there, it's a long walk back. Glad you all survived.That was a tough ride.

I see you averaged just under 6 MPH moving. That's a typical Henry Coe speed for faster riders, who may average 8-9 MPH elsewhere. (You know, a 1.5X Henry Coe-Factor.)

Also, if Plim's 60CSx GPS says 10,070', you guys likely did over 11K'. I've calibrated the 60CSx and find it's climb indication is always 10-15% lower than the real value. And Henry Coe is why I use a mapping GPS, using high charge replacable AA batteries like the Vista and 60CSx, rather than Edge, with built-in Lithium batteries that don't have the same endurance as the bikers on a Henry Coe ride.

Don't know when I'll be able to climb 10K, so I'll more likely get out to that remote part of Henry Coe when they open the south entrance. (And I wouldn't want kittens to die with me even attempting that ride.)

I enjoyed the report and pictures. I still want to see the Vasquez hell hole for myself some time. Charlie and Roy and I almost made it to Vasquez a few months ago, but the nasty stupid hike-a-bike up Redfern wore out Charle and me too early. (Charlie had a big ride the day before too.)

I'm hoping to get out there again soon. Thanks for the motivating post.
    It's not slow, it's doing more MTB time.

King Of Tooth Tarter

The Pain

Nice photos. I enjoyed the ride except for Mac's Corral Trail and Vasquez Road. There is nothing redeeming about Mac's Corral Trail. I think it is still in the developemental stages. At this point I would consider it only a hiking trail. As far as a "one of the last trails during a 10,000 foot ride" it is pretty awful. But I must have enjoyed it since I agreed to finish the planned route that Jeff had drawn up. And there's the kittens to think about. I would buy a t-shirt with that "save the kittens" design on it. Please have some printed up Jeff. And put me in for 3.

I don't know why I do difficult trails again and again. There is one impossibly steep hill on the Vasquez Road that, after lugging yourself up it it seems hard to believe it exists. I have no mental capacity for it. It was near the end of a long and arduous day. I was lagging. I felt good up until that Mac's Corral Trail. I do not do near as well doing a ride with extended "hike-a-bike". It is very taxing.

Thanks for the route, Jeff. I really enjoyed hanging out with a large group of very gifted riders. I'm glad there are others that share my love for Henry Coe Park. This was a hell of an epic. I'll be feeling it well into the week. I'll be ready next weekend to re-punish myself.

Roy.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyline35

Wow! Fun group and a big, big, big ride!!! Thank's TahoeBC for organizing this and being a very tolerant Ride Tyrant for the day. But no thanks for giving me a huge, pre-ride case of performance anxiety (hah!):

Route: Start at Hunting Hollow > Gilroy Hot Springs Road > Coit Road > Anza Trail > Jackson Trail > Elderberry Trail > Rock Tower Trail > Domino Pond Trail > Cattle Duster Trail > Coit Springs Trail > No name connector trail > Cross Canyon Trail > Willow Ridge Road > Hoover Lake Trail > White Tank Trail > Rose Dam Trail > Pacheco Creek Trail > Coit Road > Pacheco Ridge Road > Phoneline Trail > Coit Road > County Line Road > Dutch's Trail > Yellowjacket Trail > Tie Down Trail > North Fork Trail > up Mack's Corral to Dowdy Ranch > Kaiser Aetna Road > Burra Burra Trail > Center Flats Road > Wagon Road > Wasno Road > Tule Pond Trail > Grizzly Gulch Trail/Road > up Coit Road > up Grapevine Trail to 9,800' mark > Coit Road > Gilroy Hot Springs Road > to Hunting Hollow parking

Thanks for posting the pictures ElHombre and rensho. No pics from me, I didn't carry a camera. I knew it was going to be a big day so I left a few things out of my Camelback. So I'll write some stuff: Preparations for next weekend's Backcountry Weekend was evident by the trail work crews, extra porta potties and garbage cans. I had read on the romp list that Paul Nam & crew had done some recent work a few trails so we added Phoneline, North Fork, and Mack's Corral to TahoeBC's route (nice trail-work guys, thanks!). Phoneline and North Fork were fun but I'm not recommending anyone go up Mack's Corral Trail like we did (it looked like it's gonna be a fun downhill though). The Dowdy Visitor Center is a great place for a longish break. "Map Tick showing us the way" photo: it was at this stop when we had the map out to decide how best to get to the beginning of Vasquez Trail that someone put one of their ticks on the map and said "We'll go whichever way the tick crawls!" Too funny!!! In spite of what the tick "said", we took the Burra Burra Trail. At the intersection of Center Flats and Vasquez Trail there was a very light spinkle. Here the group split, TahoeBC, ElHombre, and plymmer went deep into the Cañada de la Dormida—I'm not sure of their exact route from there—Plim, rensho, and myself whimped out by continuing on Center Flats (still an ugly fate!). In the "Vasquez deliberation" photo, Plim and myself have our heads hung low as we inform our Leader that we are defecting. Also at this place, Plim discovered a broken spoke on his rear wheel. It seemed to be okay but soon that spoke wrapped it's self into the cassette. We unraveled that, zip-tied it in place, and was no further problem. We survived Center Flat and enjoyed Tule Pond/Grizzly Gulch but at the end, we were only at 9,400'. It was beginning to rain lightly but we had to Save the Kittens so we turned uphill on Coit and Grapevine until Mike saw 9,800' on the display (there were some rollers between us and the parking lot that would cover the 200' shortfall). At this point all I could think about was a big vanilla milkshake. Finally, back at the Hunting Hollow parking lot; the Vasquez group had beat us back by a large margin, they had changed clothes, loaded up, and were enjoying chips&salsa and beverages. Plim's gps read 10,073'. On the way to In&Out, the rain began pouring. At In&Out, I got two extra-large vanilla milkshakes. One for the meal and one for the very rainy drive home. Mistake!!!!! My stomach bloated out like after eating too much on Thanksgiving. For all my post-ride pain, my stomach hurt the worst. I have no self-restraint!

///Charlie

dude with orange car
    I don't have much in addition to what the others said. I bonked hard after Dowdy Ranch, so when I saw Charlie and Thomas were hesitant about going down Vasquez I was glad to join them heading out the easier way. I've done Vasquez before and had been dreading it all day, so it was a delight to skip it. Grizzly Gulch was fun and I was feeling much better by the end of it.

Highlights included seeing new (to me) trails North Fork and Mack's Corral, Plymmer's fabulous jig he danced in the corral, and seeing Charlie sit down with not one, but two keg-sized cups of milkshake. I'm kind of disappointed he said he got a stomach ache as it ruins my image of him as a superhuman milkshake-drinker.

This ride was tougher than the 10k' ride I did last month. Steeper climbs started adding up and put the hurt on my legs. Ouch!

Markatrog: If you click on the link ElHombre put under the Google screenshot, you can download a Google Earth file and/or a .gpx file. That, plus the route descriptions above should let you reproduce the route (especially if you have a Coe map). Feel free to PM if you're planning a ride and want some more info.
    This is no time for levity. - Oliver Hardy

King Of Tooth Tarter

Beer & Chips For All!

Um, those biking shorts...real close to the beer... No, that's all right. I don't really want a beer. But thanks anyway.

Beer! Chips! Mango salsa! (courtesy TahoeBC)

[/QUOTE]

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by plymmer
    Um, those biking shorts...real close to the beer... No, that's all right. I don't really want a beer. But thanks anyway.
    Those 10K camouis came in real handy for twisting off the cap to that water bottle I handed you out of that cooler

Quote Originally Posted by Plim
    Seeing Charlie sit down with not one, but two keg-sized cups of milkshake
    Every time I think about the SH*$ eating grin on Carlies face with those two shakes in front of him I gotta crack up.

So Mike how did that road century go to today?, just got back from a 1 1/2 hour easy road spin, it was more than enough for me.

King Of Tooth Tarter

Ooooo

I must have had my back turned. I think I'm going to be sick.

[QUOTE=TahoeBC]Those 10K camouis came in real handy for twisting off the cap to that water bottle I handed you out of that cooler

dude with orange car
    Quote Originally Posted by TahoeBC
    Every time I think about the SH*$ eating grin on Carlies face with those two shakes in front of him I gotta crack up.

So Mike how did that road century go to today?, just got back from a 1 1/2 hour easy road spin, it was more than enough for me.
    Yup, Charlie and his two kegs of shake will keep me laughing for a long time.

I really wanted it to be raining this morning to give me an excuse not to ride. After hearing no rain drops and checking the weather radar and seeing nothing but clear skies, I dragged myself to the century start. I did the metric route and it turned out pretty fun. I started out tired, but as I rode (and ate lots at each rest stop) I felt better and better. Still wouldn't have wanted to do the full century though.
    This is no time for levity. - Oliver Hardy

mtbr member
    Got it. Thank you Plim.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigLarry
    I can't believe anyone would try that route without a full set of gears considering the steep hillls.
    10k feet of Coe without granny gear, such a feat should indeed save more than a few kittens I think.

Also, if Plim's 60CSx GPS says 10,070', you guys likely did over 11K'. I've calibrated the 60CSx and find it's climb indication is always 10-15% lower than the real value.
    Yes, in my experience with the Edge that's also the case. It died at about 9400 ft and I tried to convince everyone we were probably already over 10k. There was some more climbing after that, so going up the Lyman-Wilson wall a bit 'just to make sure' needn't any longer be considered.

And Henry Coe is why I use a mapping GPS, using high charge replacable AA batteries like the Vista and 60CSx, rather than Edge, with built-in Lithium batteries that don't have the same endurance as the bikers on a Henry Coe ride.
    I made this USB battery pack for my Edge but didn't tag it along, as it didn't occur to me that this was going to be a +10 hour ride before it was too late .

I enjoyed the report and pictures. I still want to see the Vasquez hell hole for myself some time. Charlie and Roy and I almost made it to Vasquez a few months ago, but the nasty stupid hike-a-bike up Redfern wore out Charle and me too early. (Charlie had a big ride the day before too.)
    Roy will be eager to join you and get in there a fifth time .

Anyway, I used some GPS data from one of Jeff's earlier trips to stitch together a full track of our Vasquez route, and here it is (there's more photos as well).
    Elevation:

Distance (mi) 42.1
    Elevation Range (ft) 721 - 2423
    Total Ascent (ft) 11022
    Total Descent (ft) -10973
    Total Ascent Distance (mi) 19.8
    Total Descent Distance (mi) 22.2
    Moving Time 07h 07m 07s
    Stopped Time 03h 25m 07s
    Average Speed (mph) 4.0
    Average Moving Speed (mph) 5.8
    Stops 46
    Start Time 2007/04/21 08:03:49
    Finish Time 2007/04/21 18:36:03

More pie please
    Quote Originally Posted by TahoeBC
    Every time I think about the SH*$ eating grin on Charlie's face with those two shakes in front of him I gotta crack up.
    Hey ! That was a very happy moment for me !!!

The only thing that might'a been better would be pie:

I'll consume pie until I'm sick. I have no self-restraint.

Photo by CHUM, worldwide rights reserved, used w/o permission, Happy Birthday Dan!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ElHombre
    Roy will be eager to join you and get in there a fifth time .

Alternatively for the same effect we could all take turns beating you with a sack of oranges (you know to prevent bruising), just one little tibit I learned from Roy Saturday. Interesting the things you learn about a person on a big ride like this.

Thanks Dirk for taking the time to get the complete route together.

1000 miles per diaper

10K, I don't think so

Quote Originally Posted by Markatrog
    I'm so jealous, Biobob and i want to go on the next adventure, soulds like sweet pian.

Markatrog
    I don't know about their next adventure but Orestimba Creek, Mustang cut-off, Dutch, Yellow Jacket, Tie Down, sounds interesting. Just suppose we don't make a wrong turn coming down dutch's this next time, could be good.
    TROGS-stick a fork in 'em

Members who have read this thread: 0