Captain One Lung SuperModerator

Christchurch Adventure Park Fire and NorCal fuel loads

I was following the fire in New Zealand but it wasn't until I watched a shredit video that I saw how bad the fuel loads were in that area or at least at the bike park. The ladder fuels were absolutely out of control!

Christchurch fires: Homes destroyed and residents evacuated - BBC News

Check out the video

Let's advocate for proper forest management so we don't burn ourselves out of house and roam.

How are the fuel loads around your favorite riding spots?

Obi
    -_-
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by JCWages View Post
    ..Let's advocate for proper forest management so we don't burn ourselves out of house and roam.

How are the fuel loads around your favorite riding spots?
    California + USFS = Ain't Gonna Happen Until They Wake Up.

Sorry but seeing how Oregon and Washington are also being mismanaged now doesn't give me hope our forests will magically start being managed better anytime soon.

Resident Curmudgeon
    Around here the blame falls squarely on the Air Resouces board and the tree huggers. It is next to impossible to get a permit to do a controlled burn. Between the EIR for the burn area, The air pollution control permits and restrictions and the don't hurt the living tree being tree hugger lawsuits it is a multi year process to even think about doing a couple of hundred acre VMP burn. It drove the Cal Fire brass in the Santa Cruz Mts nuts. Of course who gets the blame every time a big fire breaks out? The local and state fire departments thats who
    Warning: Consumption of alcohol may make you think the person on the barstool next to you is attractive

middle ring single track
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzz Cut View Post
    Around here the blame falls squarely on the Air Resouces board and the tree huggers. It is next to impossible to get a permit to do a controlled burn. Between the EIR for the burn area, The air pollution control permits and restrictions and the don't hurt the living tree being tree hugger lawsuits it is a multi year process to even think about doing a couple of hundred acre VMP burn. It drove the Cal Fire brass in the Santa Cruz Mts nuts. Of course who gets the blame every time a big fire breaks out? The local and state fire departments thats who

A controlled burn MIGHT destroy some habitat.

A full-on wildfire WILL destroy lots of habitat.

Pick one.
    Content here does not officially represent the CA DPR.

Windows 10, destroying humanity one upgrade at a time.

graps the nettle
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzz Cut View Post
    \Of course who gets the blame every time a big fire breaks out? The local and state fire departments thats who
    the tassajara fire burned to within a few hundred feet of my property line, we evacuated when the neighbor's propane tank exploded. the soberanes fire spent all of last summer about a mile as the crow flies to the west of me. you will NEVER hear a bad word out of my mouth regarding local fire agencies or cal-fire. people can complain all they want, but the sight of that big dc-10 spraying a fat line of pink retardant is one of the most beautiful things i have ever seen, right up there with the convoys of thousands of hard working men and women who put their asses on the line for often totally unprepared and ungrateful strangers.

strange thing - people (especially those who live in defined urban landscapes) don't generally think about wildland ladder fuel buildup until they've seen a wildfire go berserk up close and personal. out here in the boonies, most of the locals take their landscape management very seriously, and go mental at the sight of dipshits flicking cigarette butts out their car windows...

as for state and national forests, the resources needed to effectively clean out the forests of the western US would be massive. and given the mindset of so much of this country, where the idea of allocating resources toward prevention as opposed to extraction or profit is heresy bordering on communism, it's unlikely to ever happen.
    hold my beer...