mtbr member

China Peak Mountain Resort

Can't seem to find much about this park online and was wondering if anyone has any experience there? What the trails are like, how steep, how long, grade etc.

Will be racing the next stop of the CA enduro series there so would like a litte insight.

Thanks

mtbr member

Rode there a couple years back when they first started bike lift service. Fun ride. Can get super loose and silt-like in some areas. Hope your used to the elevation. I was going to try to race this one, but the cost was adding up too much. That and my hesitancy to race in the heat and elevation, as I'm just getting started in enduro. A couple of the trails are pretty rocky.

Professional Troll
    I rode there last year. Some fun stuff. About 2 DH trails. It's kinda hard to get around. All natural DH kinda stuff, very similar to Big Bear. Nothing that steep or rocky. Maybe one or 2 tricky sections but nothing crazy.

mtbr member

So no built up drops, gaps, etc?
    Giant Team Bike & Bean-Marin Co., CA

https://www.facebook.com/GiantBikeandBean

mtbr member
    Gnarly trail looks like it might be worthy of a European enduro track. If the stages are anything like this it should be a blast.

China Peak's Gnarly Trail on Pinkbike

Professional Troll
    Gnarly is pretty fun. No built up drops or jumps or anything no. Lots of super fun corners, a few fun rock sections and chutes. But you probably want to go with a guide, easy to get lost.

Also, the town vibe is great. It's kinda redneck and lots of fun.

mtbr member
    China Peak is supposed to be hosting a ProGRT the weekend before the Enduro so I'd imagine they'd have to build some features for that race, and hopefully integrate them into the Enduro? I tried emailing the promoter awhile back for more info on the tracks, etc. but my email bounced back. I'm thinking about heading down too...

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Haus Boss View Post
    Gnarly trail looks like it might be worthy of a European enduro track. If the stages are anything like this it should be a blast.

China Peak's Gnarly Trail on Pinkbike

That trail looks pretty cool. I wonder why there is not an enduro race at Northstar?

Professional Troll
    Quote Originally Posted by hardboiled View Post
    China Peak is supposed to be hosting a ProGRT the weekend before the Enduro so I'd imagine they'd have to build some features for that race,
    They could get away with what the got, barely.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Put a call in to the epicenter cycling in Santa Cruz. The guy that heads China Peak's bike trail planning used to be a shop employee - maybe still does in the winter. The last time I was in there I was wearing a peak t-shirt (used to have a condo the other side of Huntington lake that I used as a ski place) and several of the staff had ridden there. They should have some solid intel.

mtbr member
    I live less than an hour from China Peak and rode it once last summer. There was calf deep dust over most of the trails and very little improved terrain. I have ridden one other lift serviced area (Jackson Hole) and although Jackson Hole had much less vertical it was way funner with tons of built up and maintained features. Unless it rains close to race day or they do tons of work on the trails I predict a haggard Silt-A-Thon. If you come to this area to race I hope it's better than last summer. If you come to this area to ride then I suggest shuttling 007 near Bass Lake as the best (and easily shuttleable) down hill in the area.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info guys! Gnarly trail does not look too gnarly, but fun For those that had ridden it what kind of tire would you recommend?

Professional Troll
    Quote Originally Posted by rednova75 View Post
    Thanks for the info guys! Gnarly trail does not look too gnarly, but fun For those that had ridden it what kind of tire would you recommend?
    Just normal dry socal tires. High rollers, DHF's, whatever. It's like anywhere in socal, traction sucks regardless of tire.

mtbr member
    The trails at China Peak are off the charts! Was so stoked riding there last year. Dry, loose, rocky, and fun. Corners were loose, but they hooked up like mad. The only issue was they didn't have a straight top to bottom run. The mountain is basically setup to be the perfect enduro venue as there were short pedals between runs. However, i guess they fixed that building a whole new trail for the PRO GRT, plus it looks like a second top to bottom trail as well. 1700 ft drop. The enduro race is gonna be gnarly, bring your full face and pads for this one, this is no cross country race.... oh, and get ready for the slow ass lift! Maybe one day they'll get a high speed quad.

Professional Troll
    They built a top to bottom DH run this spring? Sick. With the amount of vert there and the amazing terrain they have limitless possibilities. I thought they had the best terrain of any bike park in CA, by a lot.

Professional Troll
    So anyone know if this race is actually happening? There is no information about it anywhere on the internet. The China peak website hasn't been updated since February either.

mtbr member
    bottom of southridgeusa.com 's webpage has the info
    '11 Jedi
    '01 Straight8
    '01Rocket88
    '00 Homegrown

Professional Troll
    Quote Originally Posted by shwinn8 View Post
    bottom of southridgeusa.com 's webpage has the info
    Just checked, gives me a 404 page not found error when I click the flyer, just...hilarious.

I see a legitimate looking registration page though. But still no info on what exactly is happening there, course, etc.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gemini2k05 View Post
    Just checked, gives me a 404 page not found error when I click the flyer, just...hilarious.

I see a legitimate looking registration page though. But still no info on what exactly is happening there, course, etc.
    Did you try this...China Peak Enduro.

Professional Troll
    Yeah not interested in the "washed up DH-ers race series". But anyways, just talked to my buddy who's racing there this weekend. Said the pro grt course is the gnarliest bike trail he's ever ridden. According to Mikey Sylvestri it's gnarlier than the Mt. St. Anne WC course.

mtbr member
    dang! maybe i will take the trip up tomorrow with the puppy dog for some off roading and sunday biking! only to watch though, i can't afford to get hurt in these next 4 weeks
    '11 Jedi
    '01 Straight8
    '01Rocket88
    '00 Homegrown

mtbr member
    I look forward to watching, it looked spectacular.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    ProGRT China Peak Helmet Cam

Helmet cam of the downhill course. There are some pretty steep parts that don't show that way in the video (from skiing them). Rocks come in strong around 2:15 of a 4+ minute run.