Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    mtbr member

China Camp Trail Sanitation

Rode China Camp today. I guess I know where the money is going to go. It was already a beginner trail with a few semi-challenging spots. Apparently the goal is to have a smooth wide trail that won't twist an ankle or require a first timer to get off their bike. This spot was one of the fun ones, requiring the rider to pick a line and maneuver through tree roots. It had been like that for years and was not in need of repair. No, the new management brought in a Bobcat and tore out tree roots and rocks and left this freeway. This is the Bay View Trail right before the fire road comes in on the right (Going Downhill).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails China Camp Trail Sanitation-china-camp11.jpg  

China Camp Trail Sanitation-china-camp12.jpg  

Wēk Ss
    weak! my 8yo son loved the China Camp loop! This sucks. Is the small rocky-ish bit at the top part of Bay View still there?

aka baycat
    Is this Bayview? If it is, nothing new there. Been dozing that place for far to long. if you want kicks hit up the dark side of the moon!

Lightly salted

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    is that the one section right after the bridge at Echo?

mtbr member
    If you're talking about right before the fire road, this is what it looked like before.....
    ( i uploaded the pic from my iphone. the pic looked straight on my iphone but the computer had it turned to the side anyway re-uploaded it from my computer tonight sorry about that)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails China Camp Trail Sanitation-china-camp.jpg  

Last edited by cannondalegirl120; 01-18-2013 at 09:47 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cannondalegirl120 View Post
    If you're talking about right before the fire road, this is what it looked like before.....
    That's the section. I came in from Dominican side and didn't ride the whole trail today. That's the only part worked so far. The bobcat was still there. I was there last week and this is new.

pro leisure tour
    Definitely WEAK!!
    If you see someone without a smile, give them yours

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    aw man, i liked that section! i used to clean it just fine dozens of time, then did an endo to faceplant while daydreaming about krispy kreme (got spooked for a few years) and returned last month after a long time to reclean it!
    94 Specialized Rockhopper

mtbr member
    Ugh. Super lame.
    Loud hubs save lives. http://about.me/splat/

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    thats bullsh*t....

there's no way I'm going to pay to ride bull-dozed double track

(slight return)
    Ridiculous, that really sucks, I ride up that section about once a week and it was the only thing on the official trail system that could remotely be considered a challenge. FOCC is proving to be very bad for bikers, major bummer.

-slide

mtbr member
    That totally sucks. Here is a better pic of where I think the OP is talking about...

(slight return)
    Anyone know if MCBC was involved here?

-slide

Rider of Berms
    That is extremely disappointing.

I have to admit, I was actually really upset for a few minutes after I saw that. Now I've gone through shock and denial and have moved on to a different stage of grieving.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    This is infuriating!!!!

That was the only remotely technical spot on the front main loop, fair challenge for intermediate riders and no problems for a beginner to walk that short section if they were not comfortable riding. That section is a fun link between other awesome trails there, now its no longer.....

I don't understand why FOCC would expect mtbers to pay to ride sanitized double wide fire roads in disguise, let alone pay more than hikers/runners!!

I am giving MCBC a call first thing in the morning tomorrow to see where they stand, I hope they were not supporting this action of destroying fun and perfectly good trails.

CC is a gem to bay area riders and we are the major use group of the park, our input on the trail management needs to be taken into consideration, not bulldozed over so granny bird watcher has an easier stroll through the woods...

Anyone who supports the trail use fees needs to think long and hard about where they are sending their money and what it is being used for, so far this is not looking like a winning proposition for mtbers.....

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by IrieRider View Post

so far this is not looking like a winning proposition for mtbers.....
    this also doesn't look like a winning proposition for the park, it's obvious they are not taking into consideration the damage they are causing the park by making these trails even less natural and even wider. In that very location on several instances I have seen young owls roosting in the trees they decided to cut down to make way for this freeway. Also, it doesn't appear as if they thought out drainage by removing all of the roots and rocks I dare say they will have increased erosion of this area several fold. What is means to me : shittier - less fun ride, that is not sustainable for the park and having to pay for the displeasure and destruction. What the hell, "F"oCC... what the hell.

edit : Will someone PLEASE think of the children (taken at the exact same sanitized spot now missing most of the trees circa 2010)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ghettocop View Post
    That totally sucks. Here is a better pic of where I think the OP is talking about...

That is a great picture of what used to be a fun section. After riding through it and realizing what was done I fell to the ground and started crying like a little girl....well...ok..actually I was pissed off and snapped a few pics to document the damage. I'm sending an email to FOCC with before and after pics and politely explain that this was improper and a tragedy on a par with the Exxon Valdez. I fear for what other spots they think "need improvement".

Rider of Berms
    Quote Originally Posted by IrieRider View Post
    This is infuriating!!!!

I am giving MCBC a call first thing in the morning tomorrow to see where they stand, I hope they were not supporting this action of destroying fun and perfectly good trails.

CC is a gem to bay area riders and we are the major use group of the park, our input on the trail management needs to be taken into consideration, not bulldozed over so granny bird watcher has an easier stroll through the woods...

Anyone who supports the trail use fees needs to think long and hard about where they are sending their money and what it is being used for, so far this is not looking like a winning proposition for mtbers.....

I would be very interested in hearing the result of that call. Hope you post back with an update. I've emailed Friends of China Camp with a number of questions with no reply.

Is now still the time?
    This is really disappointing. This is simply an example of CSP trails policy and standard in action.
    SOrCerer

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    this is horrible! that spot is the only one on the entire front side where i have trouble on the ascent...in recent years as the roots have gotten more pronounced my clearance ratio has declined, but it is always a fun challenge. this sux big time. it can't be good for the trees either...

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Why the heck do they do this stuff? Doesn't it cause erosion? Even when I hike with my wife and kids I'd much rather hike natural foot paths as opposed to narrow fireroads.

Bring on the heavy rains, they'll fix it sooner or later.

mtbr member
    [/QUOTE]

R.I.P.

I'm really diggin it!
    Hey guys. I believe the primary reason for this trail realignment happening is that the land managers and even bike advocates don't understand what mountain bikers want. The realignment may seem like an evil conspiracy but it isn't. The land managers, trail workers and bike advocates are the ones that through a system of volunteering and memorizing acronyms like EIR and CEQA create a power structure where they find themselves in charge. Now condescending advocates can tell the locals what is good for them. They create a process where the locals are not even made aware of changes that will occur and when the changes begin we are told sorry you should have been to the meeting we held months ago while you were out of town. They truly believe they know what is best for us.

Since I started working the Tamarancho flow trail build I've heard the following: "this kind of trail building makes my job as a bike advocate more difficult" and "you are stealing all of our volunteers". The first comment showed that advocates have no idea what most mountain bikers want and the second shows a hostile power hungry environment. Volunteers for what I ask: for trail eradication or unpopular realignment? No wonder no one will help you I say. To be fair I have also been thanked for doing good work as well. Mostly, I have been made aware of a tremendous gulf that lies between "bike advocates" and intermediate ability and above skill level mountain bikers. The problem is that neither group understand the other very well. The conspiracy may be that creating a vanilla experience will drive mountain bikers elsewhere but I have no proof of that. For now I will just chalk it up to a big misunderstanding. The best solution that I see for all of us is to join the FOCC and be sure to give them an earful of feedback. MTBR chatter unfortunately will have zero impact on the course of action that takes place at China Camp. We need to be PRESENT at the FOCC meetings.

I have seen that some of you have requested feedback from the FOCC and have not gotten any. This indicates a hostility toward mountain bikers. We need to document this. Please keep sending your feedback to FOCC and and post the response here. Also send feedback to MCBC and post the response here as well.

I was called out for claiming that this would happen and made to feel a fool. Now it seems that I may have been right. I was going to lie low and finish the Tamo flow trail build. Now I will get involved. I need everyone's help. We need to form our own group that will truly represent mountain bikers in Marin. Not form a political compromise that will result in an experience that none of us want. What do you guys say?

Davey Simon cejocky@gmail.com 916 337 9939 time to get started.

Poacher
    Sep 2010
    I am bummed, as a single speed rider these little obstacles become a bit challenging (FUN). They got rid of the FUN! I won't complain too much, as that work looks like it will look like the rest of that trail in a few years (good). My complaint is that there are many areas that need maintenance, and that spot could be left alone while repairs/drainage could be used in other areas.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast