Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    China Camp is a fast/fun SS loop, finally rode the new sanitized sections.
    The upper trail over to backside got cleaned up too.
    It's smooth, you can really strafe the place now....

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

China Camp Trail Sanitation

Quote Originally Posted by SS Hack View Post
    To me a fun hardtail or rigid loop for that matter has a few bumps. As you mentioned, riders could always walk the section.
    Agree. They just appear to not want something more technical. I will say it is a great ride on a rigid tandem.
    Riding slowly since 1977.

mtbr member
    I'm going to change my position on this. I rode it today, and think it is a good thing for our sport. I saw more families, married couples, and young kids riding the main loop than I've ever seen before. All were having a fantastic time. I ride there a lot, and in my opinion it's not an illusion of more users......it was more users than normal. There were also fewer hikers. If an easier loop brings more into our sport I say it's a good thing. There are technical places to ride, and instead of complaining, I will ride Mile or Boyscouts on my hardtail when I want gnar.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Quote Originally Posted by ghettocop View Post
    I'm going to change my position on this. I rode it today, and think it is a good thing for our sport. I saw more families, married couples, and young kids riding the main loop than I've ever seen before. All were having a fantastic time. I ride there a lot, and in my opinion it's not an illusion of more users......it was more users than normal. There were also fewer hikers. If an easier loop brings more into our sport I say it's a good thing. There are technical places to ride, and instead of complaining, I will ride Mile or Boyscouts on my hardtail when I want gnar.
    People out all over Marin today, Deer Park is also loaded ... we need more data than a day.

It's about showing up.
    This is another reason we need more places to ride.
    I don't rattle.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    People out all over Marin today, Deer Park is also loaded ... we need more data than a day.
    Went to Waterdog today. Did several shorter loops. Saw one other guy. All the ruts where not sanitized. We need more places like Waterdog.

But. My daugher can't (yet) ride Waterdog. I plan to take her out to China camp during the week, to check out the freshly sanitized trail. We need more places like China Camp too.

mtbr member
    Just as Berkeley Mike said, even more reason for us to rally to get more bike legal trails to ride. I hope the don't touch the bermed upper sections though.
    why am I on here and not riding?

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I preferred it before, but it is still a fun, fast loop. I can't say I had less fun riding it after the sanitation. I am certainly no trail maintenance wizard, but I think it will need less upkeep now.

It's about showing up.
    Rode the "sanitized" area yesterday. With the rains it is starting to bed-in. By this time next year it will be perfect and very, very fast. Even speeds up to 14.99 mph will be possible.
    I don't rattle.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Berkeley Mike View Post
    Rode the "sanitized" area yesterday. With the rains it is starting to bed-in. By this time next year it will be perfect and very, very fast. Even speeds up to 14.99 mph will be possible.
    Be careful at such a high rate of speed.

It's about showing up.
    I actually had a nosebleed and had to call my mom to pick me up.
    I don't rattle.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I realize this isn't a new thread, but I have to say, they trashed the trail at China Camp. I've ridden it several times since the "sanitation" and it is LESS safe at speed than before. It's all loose dirt/gravel and washout is always looming over your ride. Did they really make it more family friendly when there are several places still a foot wide or less, with rocks, on a cliff? The places they "sanitized" aren't even the sketchiest spots.

(Yes, I biffed it yesterday going too quick for the "improved" sections.)

It's about showing up.
    Dude, the problem is not the trail; you need a new bike. Go shopping!
    I don't rattle.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Nah my bike is a champ. But if your buying, lets go now!

Marin rider

Get invovled - China Camp Public Forum - Tuesday, April 2, 2013

China Camp Public Forum
    Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Here's an opportunity to get involved with trail related issues at China Camp. This event was posted on a MeetUp page for mountain biking in Marin.

China Camp Public Forum - Marin Mountain Bikers (Mill Valley, CA) - Meetup

I'm really diggin it!

Quote Originally Posted by IPADrinker View Post
    China Camp Public Forum
    Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Here's an opportunity to get involved with trail related issues at China Camp. This event was posted on a MeetUp page for mountain biking in Marin.

China Camp Public Forum - Marin Mountain Bikers (Mill Valley, CA) - Meetup
    I will be there

Master of the Face Plant
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by IrieRider View Post
    This is infuriating!!!!

I don't understand why FOCC would expect mtbers to pay to ride sanitized double wide fire roads in disguise, let alone pay more than hikers/runners!!

Anyone who supports the trail use fees needs to think long and hard about where they are sending their money and what it is being used for, so far this is not looking like a winning proposition for mtbers.....
    I think the real goal is to make the area less desireable to mountain bikers by sanitizing and higher fees. It is pretty obvious the anti bike crowd is pretty deeply rooted in the area.
    http://www.nbbikes.com/
    ^^^Best Bike Shop of MTBR 2008^^^

It's about showing up.
    This is normal maintenance which has not touched that section for many, many years. It is the same work which was seen on upper Oakridge and above toward Knight on the Bayview which has turned out so well after a few seasons.

The fees have been explained as a frank necessity but that we pay more than hikers is because we weren't at the table when this was decided. We have a meeting coming up in San Rafael as posted above. Come and make yourself heard but don't over-amp it. Our sheer numbers alone may carry the day as we are the largest user of the Park.

But ya gotta show up.
    I don't rattle.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Berkeley Mike View Post
    This is normal maintenance which has not touched that section for many, many years. It is the same work which was seen on upper Oakridge and above toward Knight on the Bayview which has turned out so well after a few seasons.

The fees have been explained as a frank necessity but that we pay more than hikers is because we weren't at the table when this was decided. We have a meeting coming up in San Rafael as posted above. Come and make yourself heard but don't over-amp it. Our sheer numbers alone may carry the day as we are the largest user of the Park.

But ya gotta show up.
    They must be over funded, cut them back.

It's about showing up.
    They must be over funded, cut them back.
    Many riders have expressed caution about further financial support for CC waiting to see how FoCC addresses their desires.
    I don't rattle.

Mtn View, CA
    Sorry to bring up an old thread but I'll be going to China Camp for the first time this weekend. What are the trail conditions like? I might be taking my 7yo on the trail-a-bike if they aren't too rough. I think he'll be able to do the Shoreline trail on his bmx.
    Atomic batteries to power...turbines to speed...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    China Camp is a great place to introduce someone to the sport. I took both my son and my wife there to give them a sense of why I like the sport so much. My wife was scared of some of the drop offs in the woods, but my son really liked it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Shoreline should be fine for somebody on a BMX bike. There are a couple of waterbars that could be trouble for small wheels, but you can see them coming. Other than that it's mostly smooth hardpack.

J-Flo
    Apr 2012
    Agree. ^^ I've seen lots of tykes on Shoreline and it is a fun "big challenge" for the little ones.

The main loop trail (Bayview) is a different story. It is not a beginner trail and the drop off can be very frightening to youngsters or those who are inexperienced.

(slight return)
    If your 7 year old is a charger they can ride Bayview but they'll need gears and it will be a big challenge. No problem taking a kid on the trail a bike, but just be really wary of riders coming the other way on the corners.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast