Thread: Chico in May?

Short-Change-Hero

Chico in May?

Wife will be teaching a class in Chico at the beginning/mid of May (think she said the 14th) and wondering what the weather is like then. Was planning on bringing the bike and hitting Bidwell Park while she is in class.

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by gregnash View Post
    Wife will be teaching a class in Chico at the beginning/mid of May (think she said the 14th) and wondering what the weather is like then. Was planning on bringing the bike and hitting Bidwell Park while she is in class.
    I've never ridden Bidwell Park, but the photos/videos look pretty darn interesting. Will look forward to your ride report!

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    May is fine------before it starts to get hot---and I mean hot in June

mtbr member
    May is a good month for Chico. Usually high 70s to low 90s, and very little chance of rain. Then again, last year we hit 100 in late May!

How big of a ride do you want to do? There are a lot of different routes you can piece together in Chico. I recommend including a descent of Guardians trail in that if at all possible. It's a really popular trail to shuttle. Wish I could be available to ride with you and show you around!

If you're up for a big ride: Up North Rim, down B trail, ford the creek, grind up the Ten Mile House fire road and come down Guardians. Or ride up Hwy 32 and some of the frontage trails to get to the top of Guardians.

For a medium ride: North Rim to B trail and back on Middle

For a shorter ride without big climbs: out on Upper trail to the giant boulder and back is really fun.

Contains no juice.
    Be sure to hit Secret Trail Brewing.

New to Chico, but by gum, they've got tasty beer. No food, tho.

https://www.secrettrailbrewing.com
    Is my paycheck just a bribe to forget my dreams?

Short-Change-Hero
    Not really sure on the duration of the ride, got to confirm with her how long the class is. Mainly I will be dropping her off at the salon at around 9am and then plan to head straight from there. If she is done at noon-ish then that will be probably a shorter ride. Basically will need a bit of time to drive to the trailhead and then head out, plan to be packing up by 12:30 at latest if she is done earlier. Normally her classes are done by 12ish or later in the afternoon (say 2-3ish) depending on what she is teaching that day.

Will try to get more info from her tonight and confirm times. I am a decently fast climber (Finche has ridden with me once, though that ride won't be mentioned) and have a long travel 29er for descents and like chunky, techy stuff. Normal ride for me is 10+ miles in about an hour (usually 2-4 are road to get to the TH).

Short-Change-Hero
    Class is May 14th from 10-2 which means I will drop her off around 9 and then pick her up around 2:30-3ish..

mtbr member
    Hmm, you might be just fine to go for the big loop then. That would be in the 12-13 mile range I believe.

As an out-of-shape dad on a hardtail, I really don't know how to judge proper times up or down hill for someone with good legs and a good bike!

Short-Change-Hero
    Quote Originally Posted by boomn View Post
    Hmm, you might be just fine to go for the big loop then. That would be in the 12-13 mile range I believe.

As an out-of-shape dad on a hardtail, I really don't know how to judge proper times up or down hill for someone with good legs and a good bike!
    LOL.. well I will take a look at some trail maps online. Usually a pretty good judge of my capabilities, plus I am training for the Carson City Off-Road so I will hopefully have some decent endurance and speed built up by then. That kinda depends on weather though as I don't have a trainer.

NedwannaB
    Disclaimer: Trying to replicate the Trail Peek riders run "could be hazardous to your health!" 😎
    Wait whuuut, who did he tell you that!?!?....

Captain One Lung Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post
    Disclaimer: Trying to replicate the Trail Peek riders run "could be hazardous to your health!" 
    Lmao! Truth. That's why I like backing up the Petersen's videos with ones from BKXC and B1ker for a dose of reality. It's like this is what's possible and this is more likely what I'll be doing. Haha

Short-Change-Hero
    LOL... actually it was B1ker and Brian's video that started me on the kick!!

NedwannaB
    Robert's a crackup

Captain One Lung Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post
    Robert's a crackup
    A fun dude to ride with as well. Most people are pretty cool when they are not behind a keyboard. lol

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by JCWages View Post
    Most people are pretty cool when they are not behind a keyboard. lol
    Or a POV device....😬

Short-Change-Hero
    Im just an "acquired taste" regardless... That mix of dry sense of humor and geek rarely goes together, let alone when the outdoors are involved!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    A really healthy ride is the Bidwell Bump race course. I rode it last year and it's a tough one, but really fun too. Bring some gels!

https://www.trailforks.com/route/bid...c-race-course/

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by JCWages View Post
    Lmao! Truth. That's why I like backing up the Petersen's videos with ones from BKXC and B1ker for a dose of reality. It's like this is what's possible and this is more likely what I'll be doing. Haha
    BKXC's riding is getting pretty sporty, however. He's riding some serious lines in some of his latest videos.

mtbr member
    Didn't think of this earlier, but the creek may still be a bit high to cross in May. During snow melt season its more of a river. Hard to tell with the drought/late winter. Safest option to plan for would the same route in B1ker's video that stays on the south side of the creek

start up Guardians, take a left down "Tennis Ball Hill" and ride Annie Bidwell out to Ten Mile House, climb Ten Mile, rip down Guardians.

Short-Change-Hero
    Good call on that boomn.. I will try to keep that in mind. Yeah winter has definitely been funky here.. Was in the 60s Sunday and Monday this week, then last night it snowed. Got a little snow on the hills and in the shadows now but other than that most areas (everything but north facing slopes) will be tacky and dry-ish here.

Short-Change-Hero
    Well looks like Spring decided to show up for us on this side of the Sierras with a bang. Rode my local trails on Monday (3/26) and froze my ass off, to the point where my quads were wanting to cramp and shutdown on the climbs let alone the downhill.

Fast-forward to yesterday (3/28) and was literally sweating the entire time because it was FREAKING 70*! Looks like from the weather reports we will have at least a couple weeks of temps in the 60s (mid to high) with variable wind as always. However, when I was looking at the weather yesterday for Chico it said it was almost 80* there!

$#%& am I going to sweat by balls off because I will be riding mid morning to early afternoon?! Is there a local forum/website that I can check occasionally for trail conditions? Hate riding in the valley heat, but there is no way in hell I can get out and back before the wife leaves for class unless I start at like 6am.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gregnash View Post
    Well looks like Spring decided to show up for us on this side of the Sierras with a bang. Rode my local trails on Monday (3/26) and froze my ass off, to the point where my quads were wanting to cramp and shutdown on the climbs let alone the downhill.

Fast-forward to yesterday (3/28) and was literally sweating the entire time because it was FREAKING 70*! Looks like from the weather reports we will have at least a couple weeks of temps in the 60s (mid to high) with variable wind as always. However, when I was looking at the weather yesterday for Chico it said it was almost 80* there!

$#%& am I going to sweat by balls off because I will be riding mid morning to early afternoon?! Is there a local forum/website that I can check occasionally for trail conditions? Hate riding in the valley heat, but there is no way in hell I can get out and back before the wife leaves for class unless I start at like 6am.
    Lol, yesterday was warmer than average for Chico. But a warmer than average day in mid May could be above 90, so bring your salt tabs and extra water and just sweat it out! But it looks like last year we had days of 64 and 99 within a one week period, so who knows!

The city posts the trail status on the Bidwell Park website, where it says "Middle/Upper Park Trails" on the right side. The soil is mostly clay and many spots don't drain well, so if there has been recent rain the trails may be closed for a couple days afterwards

Short-Change-Hero
    Lol, yesterday was warmer than average for Chico. But a warmer than average day in mid May could be above 90, so bring your salt tabs and extra water and just sweat it out! But it looks like last year we had days of 64 and 99 within a one week period, so who knows!

The city posts the trail status on the Bidwell Park website, where it says "Middle/Upper Park Trails" on the right side. The soil is mostly clay and many spots don't drain well, so if there has been recent rain the trails may be closed for a couple days afterwards
    Ok I will keep my eye on the site, thanks @boomn.
    Really hoping for a mild, maybe even slightly overcast day then. That would be absolute tits if it was like that and was able to get in a nice long ride. Have this odd feeling that we are going to have a really weird weather year this year. Lake Tahoe is pretty much as max capacity already (normal beaches we hang out at are almost non-existent right now BEFORE the snow melt-off) and wondering what trails are going to be like. Hell I hit snow on the Flume/TRT ride at the beginning of August last year. While we had more snow last year I dont know that we had significant storms this late.

Obi
    -_-
    Oct 2005
    Damn I miss Chico, we were just joking about sneaking up for a nice ride and a dip in the creek.

Short-Change-Hero
    Ok mother nature needs to get back on her freakin' meds. This is seriously getting ridiculous!!! Hoping it will be warm there in a couple weeks but not blistering hot like I have this odd feeling it will be. Last time I remember having a winter like this in NV we went from having cold fronts and storms to a week later it deciding it was going to be 90s and blistering hot...

Short-Change-Hero
    LOL... well good and bad news.
    Wife got a cancellation for her class yesterday in Chico because there was not enough people signed up yet. However, we plan on still coming out for the overnight since we already booked the hotel and everything.

This means two things for me;
    1. I will no longer be pressed for time to get out and ride as I will not have to worry about dropping her off/picking her up, so I can ride a bit longer if I feel like it (and earlier too), but...
    2. I will more than likely not have the car to get back and forth to the TH at my leisure.

We are staying at the Ramada Plaza on Manzanita. Anyone know if that is somewhat close (within a couple of miles) of the TH/Bidwell park and easily rideable to said TH? Or am I better off just having her take me and drop me off at the trail and then calling her when I am done?

mtbr member
    Sorry about the class, but I'm glad you're still coming!

If you're still planning on the south side loop that B1 did, it would be a 4-5 mile ride to the trailhead depending on the route. No elevation, just flat valley floor. If you want to look in google maps, "Chico Canyon Trailhead" is the destination you want.

There is a bike path next to the hotel that goes under the freeway and gets you onto a less busy road (Manzanita) and gives you a pretty direct route to the main park entrance and you have some different bike path or singletrack options to get to the specific trailhead from there.

Or you can choose a route going south from the hotel through the neighborhoods to get to Lower Bidwell Park and then enjoy the paved paths through the green belt there all the way into Upper Park. This is the longer route. If you're looking to cool off after the ride, maybe come back this way and jump in a creek spot or One Mile pool

If you're interested I can provide more details about singletrack options from the park entrances to the South Rim side

Short-Change-Hero
    Thanks boomn I will look at a map when I get the chance and see what I wanna do.

Short-Change-Hero
    Well #$%@ doesn't look like I will be riding Chico unless I can find a damn swingarm bolt. Coming down the trail tonight suddenly heard my tire rubbing on the frame, stopped couldnt see anything, everything spun just fine, no wobbles or anything. Start riding again, hear it, last two (hardest) cogs shift and skip with heavy pedal strokes. Stop check everything again and cant see anything. Chain had recently popped off going through a chunky section but couldn't figure out what caused it to come off, so figured it was something in the chain links like grit or rock. Start pedaling down again and look down to see my back tire pushing in on the drive side and touching the chainstay?! WTF?!

Sure enough furthest back bolt is complete gone in the chainstay and so when suspension compresses it miss aligns. Now to find a damn bolt!!

Short-Change-Hero
    Well was able to find a bolt that would fit, little longer but will try out today to see if it works.

mtbr member
    Woah, hope that works out! I did get your PM and can send you some info later today

Short-Change-Hero
    Woah, hope that works out! I did get your PM and can send you some info later today
    Cool thanks dude.

Short-Change-Hero
    Thanks for the recommendations all. Ended up hitting the trail at about 9:30 (little later than I had planned) and loved B Trail and Guardians. Ended up doing the Bump XC Course with a few little wrong turns here and there. Started at 5 Mile Recreation Area parking and ended there, then headed back up Manzanita Ave to the hotel. All-in-all was just over 20 miles and the tech was tons of fun and super challenging in some areas.

Of course had to take a spill right towards the very end just before jumping on Annie Bidwell in a strange front tire washout that sent me superman'ing into the tire shredder rocks. Luckily my slide just ended as I entered those rocks so more road rash than shredding of the arm and chest. Was more pissed about busting the bite valve on my pack than the carnage, bike of course was fine as it dumped it immediately.

Anyways, thanks for all the recommendations and will definitely be back when it is cooler to ride some of the other stuff. Here is my Strava for those interested.
    https://www.strava.com/activities/1572266367

mtbr member
    Awesome! So glad you had a good ride! Well except for the crash part, but it looks like you faired ok given how many rocks we have

I'm glad you stayed up on Guardians instead of dropping down Bloody Pin like the full XC course does. Guardians is the more fun option, and the climb back up the ridge (Tennis Ball Hill) is not a fun one

How was the creek crossing?

Short-Change-Hero
    Awesome! So glad you had a good ride! Well except for the crash part, but it looks like you faired ok given how many rocks we have

I'm glad you stayed up on Guardians instead of dropping down Bloody Pin like the full XC course does. Guardians is the more fun option, and the climb back up the ridge (Tennis Ball Hill) is not a fun one

How was the creek crossing?
    Yeah, that is what I had seen somewhere and recommendation was to keep on Guardians so I just went with it. Guardians was definitely fun and some serious challenge, body is still sore from everything today but getting less sore.

Funny thing is that I broke my bite valve on my Osprey in the crash. When I got back to the hotel I noticed I had all this road rash down my chest (shirt was unzipped halfway, my OG Sierra Nevada jersey ) and then after a day I realized it is the marks from the bite valve dragging down my chest as I slide, then breaking off and "skipping" down the rest of my chest and stomach.

Talked with my main riding buddy who has ridden out there but it has been close to a decade and we are going to make a late year run for it (probably October/November) when it is cooler.

Creek crossing wasn't bad, came up to my knees (I am 6' tall) and was probably a good 30yds wide. But at that point I was warm so it was a good cool off.

mtbr member
    Well that's an innovative way to hurt yourself! But I guess that is what mountain biking is all about

Oct/Nov would be a great time to come back. Let me know and I may be able to ride with you

Short-Change-Hero
    Well that's an innovative way to hurt yourself! But I guess that is what mountain biking is all about

Oct/Nov would be a great time to come back. Let me know and I may be able to ride with you
    "Innovative" yeah I like that terminology better than "stupid" or "idiotic"... LOL
    Luckily no one was around to see it happen. Definitely one of those ones you get up, dust yourself off and say "WTF just happened?".

Like I said, just was the annual blood sacrifice/donation to the mountain/trail gods. Happens every year, know it will happen at one point otherwise #$%& starts going sideways. Now that I know the trail a little better, I want to definitely try it again as going into stuff blind usually has me very apprehensive. Should be more fun once we get back out there.