mtbr member
    Oct 2011

Chico California Trails

Hey everyone,
    Im from southern california and im heading up to Chico california to visit my brother. Im going to be bringing my bike with me, since i know there are some trails up here. Was just wondering if anyone knew of any trails that are worthwhile? I dont mind climbing, thanks in advance!

Ryan

mtbr member
    Bidwell Park. Do a search. Lots of info.

Finally stateside again
    hit b trail for sure. 2 miles of awesome downhill. how you get to it is up to you i don't like any of the ways . lake orville has great riding and you also have a lot of stuff near feather falls

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Thanks guys! Much appreciated!

Butcher
    This thread should provide you with enough info on what/where to ride:
    New Weekly Chico Rides? - Mtbr Forums

My opinion: Ride the Bidwell Bump course if you want a little of everything.

Local bike shops will have trail maps for you and Bidwell is easy to navigate.

Also, this site is a great resource if you want to get a perspective on the terrain:
    http://www.thebidwellbump.com/

And as someone said already... Oroville has great trails. A lot more forgiving than upper bidwell.

mtbr member
    There are plenty of trails to ride up here, and if I'm around when you come up I'd be happy to point you in the right direction.

In Bidwell Park you have Lower Park, which is in the middle of Chico, and Upper Park which extends from the East side of town up into the foothills for a few miles. Lower Park has some flat, groomed trails that are a nice warm up if you want to ride from town, but the real fun stuff happens in Upper Park. In Upper Park you have the North side and the South side. Check out the map of the trail system and you can see most of the trails.

If you want a nice long "tour of Bidwell" with about 3K of climbing and the best downhill in the park I would recommend doing this route:

Park at Hooker Oak Recreation Area on Manzanita Ave. You can also ride up through the park from the center of Chico. That will add on about 10 miles of flat stuff for the round trip. Bring plenty of water, as there are only drinking fountains at the bottom of Upper Park. You'll be out in 90 degree heat (in the afternoon) for a couple hours or more with no access to drinking water, so come prepared.

1. Ride the paved bike path on the North side of the parking lot, going East along Manzanita Ave.
    2. At the round-about take a right on Wildwood Ave. and keep riding to the bridge (about 500 yards)
    3. At the bridge, take the bike path next to the road (separated area)
    4. You'll see a park sign, take the left trail
    5. Cross the road and head towards the trail by the barbed wire fence (aka Fence Line)
    6. This takes you up to the beginning of the North Rim Trail. Ride this up for about 3.5 miles. It's super rocky lava cap and rough as hell for the first mile or two so pace yourself!
    7. You will see a post on the right side of the trail for "B Trail". This is a great 1.5 mile trail, enjoy the ride!
    8. At the bottom of this trail you will hit a gravel road, this is the "Park Road". Turn left and ride to the end.
    9. Take the singletrack at the end of the road and ride a couple hundred yards to the creek.
    10. Cross the creek and continue on the singletrack at the other side for about 1/4 mile.
    11. You'll come to a gravel fire road which is called "10 Mile House". Take a right on this and head uphill for about 2 miles. It's a steep grind, but not too bad...and leads to the best downhill in the park.
    12. On your right you will see a well-worn turnoff for Guardian Trail. If you get to the highway, you missed the turnoff.
    13. The first part of Guardian is relatively smooth and fast, but after the first couple miles there are parts that are rocky, technical, and downright dangerous. Keep that in mind as you come around blind corners.
    14. The second part of Guardian is tight and hugs the ridge with cliffs above you to the left, and some 10-20 ft drops to the right. Super fun technical "roller coaster" riding.
    15. As it opens up, you'll come to a spot where the trail goes through a fence and there's a fork in the trail. Take the right side, which is the most traveled and should be obvious. The left side dumps you into a residential/golf course area.
    16. This next section is a couple miles long and you'll eventually come to a fork where there is a post. The left side goes up a pretty steep rocky ledge and then a scramble, the right goes along the canyon edge looking over the creek. Both are awesome, and meet up about a mile down the trail.
    17. From this point, keep to the left. This will dump you out at the old shooting range, which is just a big empty field now.
    18. Take a left onto a wide dirt road, ride past the creek and rock wall, and this will take you to Chico Canyon Road.
    19. Take a right on the road, and this will take you to Manzanita Ave. Take a right here onto the paved bike path, and that will bring you back to the parking lot at Hooker Oak Rec area.

Bidwell Park Map
    "Got everything you need?"