mtbr member

To certain bikers and hikers at Annadel yesterday

I have a message for you.... just a simple "thank you, and keep on enjoying the trail". and this goes out specifically to the guy biking up spring creek trail as I was headed down. the rockiest, most rutted part of this trail. yet, even as he is pedaling up, he says 'hey' and thanks me for pulling off to the side. then there was the lady biking along live oak in the direction of the lake. she had pulled over and stopped for me before I even noticed her. and this was at a juncture where neither 1 of us had the clear right of passage I thought that I was the only rider who did that sorta thing. most times it is that stupid game of who's gonna stare down who to pullover despite the circumstances? And then there was the lady hiker near the bottom of spring creek trail who thanked me for slowing down as we passed each other. I certainly didn't expect that. but it was cool to hear a positive acknowledgement for a change and to other peoples I cross paths with who have nothing to say and don't even bother to nod their head ... that's cool too. I don't take it personal and don't think any less of you....even if you are like old or something....and even if ya feel the need to blurt out some negative comment
    I bet you'd do the same if they was you!

Elitest thrill junkie
    Refreshing to see people doing the right thing on the trails and not just playing chicken till the other guy yields.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by raleigh5 View Post
    I have a message for you....even if you are like old or something....
    Hey, I resemble that remark!

Yes, yeilding when it applys, and a little common courteousy to other trail users can go along way for everyone out enjoying themselves, especially you. Reciprocation in return is the added bonus. Do what's right and let it go. You never know where someone else's head is at.
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Common courtesy always wins!! Kill the negative responses with kindness can only help turn whatever negativeness to positiveness!

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    sorry dude, tried to +rep you, but it said i must spread some around before repping you again, ha ha.
    94 Specialized Rockhopper

swag ho Administrator
    You're welcome. I will not be insulted by a Pliny.

fc
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I've never understood the people that get all butt hurt when you don't completely stop when you are going down and they are coming up. The other day a lady biking scolded me for ( i guess?) not yielding to her liking while i was coming down two quarry. I always slow down to a near stop and pull to the side anytime i pass someone who is coming up hill, and i don't expect someone to completely stop to let me past if i'm coming up hill. Fortunately there seems to be a unspoken rule among bikers to just allow enough room, pass slowly, and go on your way.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Reillyj View Post
    I've never understood the people that get all butt hurt when you don't completely stop when you are going down and they are coming up. The other day a lady biking scolded me for ( i guess?) not yielding to her liking while i was coming down two quarry. I always slow down to a near stop and pull to the side anytime i pass someone who is coming up hill, and i don't expect someone to completely stop to let me past if i'm coming up hill. Fortunately there seems to be a unspoken rule among bikers to just allow enough room, pass slowly, and go on your way.
    Well, at least you are earning your scoldings.

I've never understood the people that go out and ride every ride as if it's their last day on earth and expect everyone to yield to them, as if they don't have to follow the rules.

If I'm coming up on a hiker or equestrian, I plan on and start pulling off and stopping if it's opposite traffic. I will stop and let them go. If it's traffic in the same direction, I will get within a safe distance, match speed, and announce.

If it's a rider, I'll plan on, and start pulling off if they have the right of way. I will physically stop and stand on the side of the trail, not widening it with my tire tracks and let the other person pass. If they pull off, I'll let them know in a friendly way that they had the right of way.

If it's doubletrack or wider, I'll slow down some when there's opposite rider traffic, and I'll still go way down to a crawl or stop for hikers and other traffic, usually for horses that means stop.

It's easy to be an a$$ to everyone and try to take everything that I can from this world, but I find that you can spread the good vibes out on the trail and a few people recognize this. I've always ridden like this and I always will. There are plenty of "unbroken" descents I've had and I don't need to go out in a crowded area and try to force an "unbroken" ride at the cost of other's experiences. Nobody but you cares about your strava time.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

It's about showing up.
    You never know what is going on between someone's ears when you are out there. Sometimes people are in over their head or tapped out. Sometimes they are Strava-driven, or the like, or so into their jones that we are little more than an annoyance.

Some places, like Tamarancho, see very little strife. The local culture is strong in the traditions of Mtb and when confronted by each other we pass easily. When it doesn't happen it is someone out of their element.

Today I rode 120,000 ft, climbed 3000 ft and smelled a lot of roses. I just don't understand why any of this should be difficult. At the same time it is easy to forget how much skill and power it takes to do this well.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails To certain bikers and hikers at Annadel yesterday-image.jpg  

I don't rattle.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Well, at least you are earning your scoldings.

I've never understood the people that go out and ride every ride as if it's their last day on earth and expect everyone to yield to them, as if they don't have to follow the rules.

If I'm coming up on a hiker or equestrian, I plan on and start pulling off and stopping if it's opposite traffic. I will stop and let them go. If it's traffic in the same direction, I will get within a safe distance, match speed, and announce.

If it's a rider, I'll plan on, and start pulling off if they have the right of way. I will physically stop and stand on the side of the trail, not widening it with my tire tracks and let the other person pass. If they pull off, I'll let them know in a friendly way that they had the right of way.

If it's doubletrack or wider, I'll slow down some when there's opposite rider traffic, and I'll still go way down to a crawl or stop for hikers and other traffic, usually for horses that means stop.

It's easy to be an a$$ to everyone and try to take everything that I can from this world, but I find that you can spread the good vibes out on the trail and a few people recognize this. I've always ridden like this and I always will. There are plenty of "unbroken" descents I've had and I don't need to go out in a crowded area and try to force an "unbroken" ride at the cost of other's experiences. Nobody but you cares about your strava time.
    If i'm coming uphill its rare for someone to pull over and stop. Which in my mind is great. I didn't interrupt his ride, he didn't interrupt mine. If there is one bike width of space up some technical section, of course I will yield and expect to be yielded to, but i'm not trying to be some mother Teresa of the trails, throwing myself down a ravine to ensure safe passage to the uphiller. I also dont use strava or bomb downhill on top of people, and its pretty rare to have someone bomb down hill on top of me. Which is why annadel is great, going uphill or down there is very little drama, people usually allow enough room and pass happily.
    Last edited by Reillyj; 03-02-2013 at 10:42 PM.