mtbr member
    Jan 2004

CEO of REI to be named Secretary of the Interior

It looks like the CEO of REI is about to be named the Secretary of the Interior. Any thoughts on what impact this may have on access issues? Positive, Negative, No change?

AP Source: Outdoor retail exec picked for Interior - SFGate

Junior flyer
    Jun 2010
    Well, it seems like she would be a positive force for access, although change from the federal level is usually glacier-like.

On a side note: I'd be stoked if my REI Visa card now doubled as a National Park/Adventure Pass!

Edit: Yeah, I forgot that national forests fall under the Dept. of Ag (that tells you a lot).
    Last edited by dirtvert; 02-06-2013 at 10:02 AM.
    Why?

Because we like the taste of freedom; because we like the smell of danger. ~ E. Abbey

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Sure there will be some changes.

Changing major institutions takes time and can be very messy. Look at CA parks. I don't want this to happen to NPS or FS. But starving the beast can be effective.

She is an interesting pick, given the recreation/production background. I hope we gain some access.

Old,slow,still havin fun.
    Minor point: Dept of Interior oversees National Parks, but not National Forests (they are under Dept of Agriculture).

And I had to chuckle at this:

Jewell worked in commercial banking and as an engineer for Mobil Oil Corp
    Wonder if your average REI customer knew that the CEO came from two industries they reflexively loathe.

mtbr member

Her pick is part of an overall movement to put more public lands under the controls of the federal government, via the Interior Department. The Feds want to increase environmental regulation over public lands and believe the Interior Dept is the way to do that.
    I would urge everybody to be very weary of the intentions of the federal government. I would suspect we will see less access to public lands due to these actions. The federal government rarely (if ever?) grants more liberties to the citizenry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    This will be interesting. I'm not familiar with Sally Jewell, but I have been a member of REI for 20 years. I would like to think that she will have the interest of the outdoor recreation industry more in mind than a few of the previous secretaries, who wanted to sell off every square inch of public land for drilling, mining, and clear cutting.

From a biking perspective, she might be more likely to support additional Wilderness designation, as well as the creation of new national parks and monuments. Those areas typically exclude bikes. But, that's another policy that could change. Biking is already allowed in certain National Parks.

On the whole, I'd rather see someone from the recreation industry in charge of Interior than another politician bought and paid for by Coal, Gas, Oil, and Metal.
    Justin
    Salt Lake City
    2012 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp 29
    2006 Specialized Allez Expert Double

Paper or plastic?
    I think she's on the board of the NPCA, an organization that's truly not bike friendly
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

Old,slow,still havin fun.
    Correct, NPCA being the National Parks Conservation Association. That link will take you to articles on their site relating to mtn bikes.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by fgiraffe View Post
    Correct, NPCA being the National Parks Conservation Association. That link will take you to articles on their site relating to mtn bikes.
    Typical anti-human exclusionary drivel.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by authalic View Post
    This will be interesting. I'm not familiar with Sally Jewell, but I have been a member of REI for 20 years. I would like to think that she will have the interest of the outdoor recreation industry more in mind than a few of the previous secretaries, who wanted to sell off every square inch of public land for drilling, mining, and clear cutting....
    On the whole, I'd rather see someone from the recreation industry in charge of Interior than another politician bought and paid for by Coal, Gas, Oil, and Metal.
    Here, here.

Uncle
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtvert View Post
    ...although change from the federal level is usually glacier-like.
    Off topic, but I think that phrase is officially dated. [insert plug for "Chasing Ice" movie here]
    Eat, ride, eat, rest, repeat.

Uncle
    Heck, I say we give her a whirl for a year or so, and if it doesn't work out she can always return to REI.

Eat, ride, eat, rest, repeat.

Log off and go ride!
    Jul 2003
    10% rebate on all NPS entrance fees!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dave54 View Post
    10% rebate on all NPS entrance fees!

I'd rather have a $10 lifetime membership to NPS

more skier than biker
    Nov 2006

Quote Originally Posted by Entrenador View Post
    Heck, I say we give her a whirl for a year or so, and if it doesn't work out she can always return to REI.

Haha ZING!!

Sebt frm my iPhne usig Tapaak

Junior flyer
    Jun 2010
    Check out the latest post here: http://www.facebook.com/SharingThePct

Anybody want to tell a Senate committee about our needs?!
    Why?

Because we like the taste of freedom; because we like the smell of danger. ~ E. Abbey

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Brewtality View Post
    Her pick is part of an overall movement to put more public lands under the controls of the federal government, via the Interior Department. The Feds want to increase environmental regulation over public lands and believe the Interior Dept is the way to do that.
    What do you base this opinion on? On face value, it seems like quite a stretch. Department of the Interior already manages federal lands.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Are they going to have an .83 sale on public lands?