It's about showing up.

Central & Northern California IMBA Regional Director Steps Down

Tom Ward, IMBA Regional Director, Central & Northern California is stepping down from his post of 10 years:

"effective September 1, 2014, I will be leaving the position of IMBA's Regional Director for Northern California. My various functions with IMBA for almost 10 years have been extremely rewarding and exciting to say the least. It has been a privilege to work for such a creative and dynamic organization and all the very special people in the bike community that tirelessly work for the cause of mountain bike recreation. IMBA has given me much along the way, and I hope in some ways I have added value to the promotion and sustainability of our sport.

As for my future endeavors, I will be traveling more with my family, spending more time with grandchildren, getting outdoors to hunt and fish, taking up a new social cause and of course riding my bike more. I will continue to be available to IMBA on a limited basis to conduct staff training and group facilitation on an as need basis. "

Tom, riding with BTCEB directors at Rockville CA, center.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Central & Northern California IMBA Regional Director Steps Down-i130321rockvillemg_1158.jpg  

I don't rattle.

mtb'er
    I'm pretty bummed about this. Tom has been a real asset and pleasure to work with. His experience as a former CA State Parks employee and his wealth of knowledge will be missed, but if I was his age and had to deal with all that is wrong with MTB access in NorCal, I can't blame him for moving on to an enjoyable retirement.

C'dale Rush Lefty
    Jun 2004
    I certainly appreciate Tom's contributions and good things have happened with his efforts.

However, IMBA should replace him with someone with entrepreneurial and political skills, not bureaucratic skills. We need people who can push back and are aggressive. We don't need people who emphasize with bureaucrats and the get along by going along philosophy that they have.

BTW, I'm not at all anti-bureaucrat but from almost exactly the same experience I've found that we can get more accomplished with entrepreneurial people in leadership positions. No more agency people. Find people who have built organizations that pushed the envelope.

Jim

Like a boss.
    From personal experience with this, one of the largest challenges IMBA (and other non-profits) has in recruiting the type of people you describe is salary. Our good fortune in having Tom as our local IMBA director was to a degree facilitated by his status as a retired State Parks employee. If you're younger, or the breadwinner in your family, it's near-impossible to be able to afford to take these kinds of jobs.

And for the record, I don't think "understanding bureaucracy" and "being aggressive and entrepreneurial" are mutually exclusive - you gotta know when to kiss ass, and when to kick it.
    Quote Originally Posted by jbt56
    Are you a whiny Marin liberal, or a hand-wringing Berkeley liberal?

(aka "grace")
    Quote Originally Posted by Piranha426 View Post
    From personal experience with this, one of the largest challenges IMBA (and other non-profits) has in recruiting the type of people you describe is salary.
    Yes. Here's the job announcement for the new Norcal regional director, in case you know of someone who'd be great, interested, & willing:
    https://www.imba.com/norcal-region-director