Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 100 of 220
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    4,523

    Central NorCal trail conditions (Auburn, Salmon Falls, GBay, etc)?

    I rode Granite Bay on 1/24/16 and it was the wettest I have ever seen it. I don't ride there often so that might not be saying much.

    Curious what Auburn (FHDL/Connector specifically) are looking like lately. Haven't ridden there in a while and might ride after work today if they're in fair shape.

  2. #2
    huck to flat
    Reputation: The Trail Bum's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    556
    Central NorCal lol!! i think its usually refereed to as: "Gold Country", "Foothills", "Mother Lode"

    everything should be good as of yesterday. muddy spots here and there.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Silent_G's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    319
    I'm on board with The Trail Bum, "Central NorCal"??? Eeeeaaassssyyyyy.....

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    4,523
    Quote Originally Posted by The Trail Bum View Post
    Central NorCal lol!! i think its usually refereed to as: "Gold Country", "Foothills", "Mother Lode"

    everything should be good as of yesterday. muddy spots here and there.
    I just meant to specify NON Bay Area trails

    FHDL/Connector good to go?? Sweeeet

  5. #5
    Sweater
    Reputation: Buzzaro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    1,830
    Quote Originally Posted by The Trail Bum View Post
    Central NorCal lol!! i think its usually refereed to as: "Gold Country", "Foothills", "Mother Lode"

    everything should be good as of yesterday. muddy spots here and there.
    He's probably from Frisco
    All out of S**** and down to my last F***

  6. #6
    Captain One Lung SuperModerator
    Reputation: JCWages's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    3,249
    I think by tomorrow things should be a lot better. My Preserves which are nearby are still spongy and muddy in areas. Lots of runoff still. From a trail protection standpoint I think Confluence would be fine but I personally wouldn't ride Culvert or FHDL but that is my opinion. The sun is really helping today, however.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    4,523
    Quote Originally Posted by The Trail Bum View Post
    Central NorCal lol!! i think its usually refereed to as: "Gold Country", "Foothills", "Mother Lode"

    everything should be good as of yesterday. muddy spots here and there.
    Did you actually ride FHDL and Connector yesterday? They were literally the muddiest, worst shape I have ever seen them. Two spots I even got off the bike to walk. 90% of the trail was in great or even perfect riding shape, but the other 10% was awful. I guess it's all relative, I don't ride there as much this time of year so maybe it is normal but I certainly wouldn't be advising people to ride there right now.

    Confluence was fine but FHDL, Connector, and Culvert were not.

  8. #8
    huck to flat
    Reputation: The Trail Bum's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    556
    Quote Originally Posted by Alias530 View Post
    Did you actually ride FHDL and Connector yesterday? They were literally the muddiest, worst shape I have ever seen them. Two spots I even got off the bike to walk. 90% of the trail was in great or even perfect riding shape, but the other 10% was awful. I guess it's all relative, I don't ride there as much this time of year so maybe it is normal but I certainly wouldn't be advising people to ride there right now.

    Confluence was fine but FHDL, Connector, and Culvert were not.
    no I saw pictures of people who did looked fine. I rode salmon falls and some other gold country stuff yesterday which was awesome!

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    402
    I rode FHDL on 1/24/16 it was pretty horrible. it was soupy in spots lots of mud. Other parts were pretty good shape i would say it would need quite a few days to dry out.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    4,523
    Quote Originally Posted by The Trail Bum View Post
    no I saw pictures of people who did looked fine. I rode salmon falls and some other gold country stuff yesterday which was awesome!
    Yeah 95% of it probably would look great in pics. That other 5% was baddddd though.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    259
    Salmon Falls this afternoon..100% hero dirt.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: SierraOutsider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    87
    I'd like to resurrect this thread if I may - looking like a dry spell for the next few days and wondering if the coming weekend might be doable in Auburn? It would be nice to give the skis a break and dust off the bike.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    192
    Quote Originally Posted by SierraOutsider View Post
    I'd like to resurrect this thread if I may - looking like a dry spell for the next few days and wondering if the coming weekend might be doable in Auburn? It would be nice to give the skis a break and dust off the bike.
    I'm itchin' to get to Auburn too....

  14. #14
    Captain One Lung SuperModerator
    Reputation: JCWages's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    3,249
    Culvert was no good on Sunday. We rode it mainly to learn how rain affects it and the hope it was rideable. It really wasn't unless you love mud slicks and doing trail damage. :/ Sure was pretty out though.

    A couple of sunny days should fix it and hero dirt will return.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: yeti575inCA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,647
    hope its in good shape Sat. Thinking about making the trek up if it is..

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    4,523
    SFART was AWFUL on Sunday morning. I didn't think there had been any rain for a while but on the way out there, it rained for ~5 mins so I'm thinking it was the fresh rain I was seeing, not the rain from a week ago. I hoped the trail would be fine so I went for it and the climb out of the valley was fine but then it got really muddy so I turned around.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mestapho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    2,303
    Quote Originally Posted by Alias530 View Post
    SFART was AWFUL on Sunday morning. I didn't think there had been any rain for a while but on the way out there, it rained for ~5 mins so I'm thinking it was the fresh rain I was seeing, not the rain from a week ago. I hoped the trail would be fine so I went for it and the climb out of the valley was fine but then it got really muddy so I turned around.
    SFART is one of the worst around for peanut butter mud.

    The shortcut bridge from Sweetwater to Salmon falls is submerged now.

    Has anyone hiked the Brown's marina - NY creek bridge section? how is it holding up?


    Any info on Sly Park conditions?

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    239
    There were chain controls on Hwy 50 from just below Pollock on Sunday.
    Probably means Sly Park is a snowy mess.

  19. #19
    Captain One Lung SuperModerator
    Reputation: JCWages's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    3,249
    Quote Originally Posted by windsurf2xs View Post
    There were chain controls on Hwy 50 from just below Pollock on Sunday.
    Probably means Sly Park is a snowy mess.
    I see snowflakes falling in Grass Valley right now. :/
    Central NorCal trail conditions (Auburn, Salmon Falls, GBay, etc)?-2016-02-02-08.42.28.jpg

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mestapho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    2,303
    Just heard someone say it was snowing at their place in Diamond Springs (2200 feet), so Sly is out of commission

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    4,523
    Quote Originally Posted by mestapho View Post
    SFART is one of the worst around for peanut butter mud.

    The shortcut bridge from Sweetwater to Salmon falls is submerged now.

    Has anyone hiked the Brown's marina - NY creek bridge section? how is it holding up?


    Any info on Sly Park conditions?
    Super watery muddy slop. The trail looked like peanut butter for sure but everything on my bike came right off. I'm sure Sly Park is under snow


    Central NorCal trail conditions (Auburn, Salmon Falls, GBay, etc)?-img_3351.jpg

    Central NorCal trail conditions (Auburn, Salmon Falls, GBay, etc)?-img_3353.jpg

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ryanxj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,169
    If you have to ask, chances are good that the trails could benefit from some rest...
    Last edited by ryanxj; 02-04-2016 at 07:30 PM.
    Every trails a flow trail ifya would just learn how to ride-stop dumbing down the planet

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ryanxj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,169
    Last Saturday working between the marina and Spanish house @ Browns was surprisingly wet. LOTS of water seeping from the hills, standing puddles and water running down a few sections of trail, and lots of running water in all Creek crossings.

    Re Auburn: Given the cold temps and clouds forecast for this week, the rain today, and the amount of clay in Auburn, Id advise a different destination for this weekend fasho...
    Every trails a flow trail ifya would just learn how to ride-stop dumbing down the planet

  24. #24
    Captain One Lung SuperModerator
    Reputation: JCWages's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    3,249
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanxj View Post
    Last Saturday working between the marina and Spanish house @ Browns was surprisingly wet. LOTS of water seeping from the hills, standing puddles and water running down a few sections of trail, and lots of running water in all Creek crossings.

    Re Auburn: Given the cold temps and clouds forecast for this week, the rain today, and the amount of clay in Auburn, Id advise a different destination for this weekend fasho...
    Agreed! Someone said it was supposed to be sunny this week which influenced my earlier post. Scratch that! lol

  25. #25
    huck to flat
    Reputation: The Trail Bum's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    556
    Quote Originally Posted by mestapho View Post
    Just heard someone say it was snowing at their place in Diamond Springs (2200 feet), so Sly is out of commission
    yep
    Last edited by The Trail Bum; 02-21-2016 at 11:21 PM.

  26. #26
    Ultra Ventanaphile
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Posts
    3,326
    Quote Originally Posted by mestapho View Post

    Any info on Sly Park conditions?
    My wife and daughter are at Sly Park Environmental Camp, there's 8-12" of snow on the ground and currently snowing now. The camp is at about 3600'.
    -Aaron G.

    "Before D.W., "anti-squat" was referred to as pedal feedback."

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    4,523
    Quote Originally Posted by The Trail Bum View Post
    In case you weren't aware, there's a great live webcam for a gauge! Pollock Pines Weather Cam
    Bad ass. I wish all trailheads had one of these.

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mestapho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    2,303
    Quote Originally Posted by The Trail Bum View Post
    In case you weren't aware, there's a great live webcam for a gauge! Pollock Pines Weather Cam
    Thanks! Nice edit on Pinkbike, by the way. Was that in Sly or Nevada City?

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    4,523
    Quote Originally Posted by mestapho View Post
    Thanks! Nice edit on Pinkbike, by the way. Was that in Sly or Nevada City?
    Link to Pinkbike thread?

  30. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mestapho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    2,303
    Quote Originally Posted by Alias530 View Post
    Link to Pinkbike thread?
    here
    http://www.pinkbike.com/video/435619
    stupid forum won't embed

  31. #31
    more skier than biker
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    2,145
    Just a heard a report that Auburn today was extremely sloppy. This was person was trail running and still thought it was muddy. Saw a few people with bikes on Connector walking climbs that and they were covered in mud. Best to stay away for a few days at least!

  32. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ryanxj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,169
    Just got a first hand report that even Granite Bay was a sloppy mess today
    Every trails a flow trail ifya would just learn how to ride-stop dumbing down the planet

  33. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    267
    Just rode Granite Bay, not bad at all, a few puddles but not sloppy.

  34. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mestapho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    2,303
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanxj View Post
    Just got a first hand report that even Granite Bay was a sloppy mess today
    How does sand get sloppy?

  35. #35
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ryanxj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,169
    Gritty? Like rocks in a blender is what your drivetrain sounds like? Is that better?! ;-)
    Every trails a flow trail ifya would just learn how to ride-stop dumbing down the planet

  36. #36
    Captain One Lung SuperModerator
    Reputation: JCWages's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    3,249
    Quote Originally Posted by 12to29 View Post
    Just rode Granite Bay, not bad at all, a few puddles but not sloppy.
    While I don't usually find Granite Bay to be sloppy after a rain, the giant puddles are generally right below the only decent little drops or jumps on the track which makes the whole thing not even worth riding. I also observe lots of ruts in the softer sections created by people riding when it's still too wet. :/ It's ok though. Those FATRAC people will fit it all........

  37. #37
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mestapho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    2,303
    Sweetwater and Salmon Falls is in good shape. A little mud in the first 1/4 mile of SW and the usual puddles on the old asphalt road on SF.

  38. #38
    mtbr member
    Reputation: SierraOutsider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    87
    I'll give one more bump for Auburn beta - hoping you all have some insights on current conditions before we decide to come down the hill.

    Thanks!

  39. #39
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    4,523
    I hope it stays dry and warm for the next week, next weekend will probably be pretty ideal riding. Already have non-Auburn plans in the mix for this weekend.

  40. #40
    Captain One Lung SuperModerator
    Reputation: JCWages's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    3,249
    I'm riding it tomorrow. It's been fairly nice and today was sunny and warm so conditions should be good.

  41. #41
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Brewtality's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    5,666
    Quote Originally Posted by SierraOutsider View Post
    I'll give one more bump for Auburn beta - hoping you all have some insights on current conditions before we decide to come down the hill.

    Thanks!
    Friends rode Auburn today and said it was spectacular
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

  42. #42
    huck to flat
    Reputation: The Trail Bum's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    556
    Quote Originally Posted by Brewtality View Post
    Friends rode Auburn today and said it was spectacular
    It was epic out there today! I only rode mammoth bar, culvert confl, manza and flood none of which had mud

  43. #43
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Darth Lefty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    148
    Whatever you care to call it, it was nice conditions today around here.

  44. #44
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Blackies Pasture's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    304
    It was so dry already that my Schwalbe "winter race" nose tire was pushing at GB. felt like summer.

    Connecter plus loop was shady and sticky. Culvert was so tacky that more tire pressure was needed.

    Had to time trips down culvert to be in-between the BroTruck shuttle Bros, so we didn't get stuck behind them fiddling with their go-pros and those plastic shin guards like the girls soccer team wears.

  45. #45
    Captain One Lung SuperModerator
    Reputation: JCWages's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    3,249
    Rode Culvert and Stonewall/Rocky yesterday and the conditions were great! Stonewall had a little muck but not bad. Definitely a good day to be out there. I lost one of my plastic soccer shin guards while taking pictures of flowers on the side of the trail with my GoPro. I think I accidentally left my bike in the middle of the trail on Culvert while I took the photos too....

  46. #46
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    4,523
    How about right now after the rain the last 2 days? Anyone ridden Auburn or Salmon Falls?

  47. #47
    mtbr member
    Reputation: nachomc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    6,724
    Quote Originally Posted by Alias530 View Post
    How about right now after the rain the last 2 days? Anyone ridden Auburn or Salmon Falls?
    Salmon Falls is usually pretty good following rain. We're riding there this weekend.
    :wq

  48. #48
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ryanxj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,169
    Everybody pack your folding saws this weekend!

    That wind was sure to stir up some trail blockage
    Every trails a flow trail ifya would just learn how to ride-stop dumbing down the planet

  49. #49
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    4,523
    After the rain today I bet the foothills are pretty muddy

  50. #50
    mtb'er
    Reputation: Empty_Beer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    3,478
    FYI: Salmon Falls is going to be packed tomorrow Feb. 20 at 9am until noon. SFART is a better bet, but parking will be a challenge.

  51. #51
    mtbr member
    Reputation: nachomc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    6,724
    Quote Originally Posted by Empty_Beer View Post
    FYI: Salmon Falls is going to be packed tomorrow Feb. 20 at 9am until noon. SFART is a better bet, but parking will be a challenge.
    Is there an event, or do you just suspect everyone will go to ride there?
    :wq

  52. #52
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ryanxj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,169
    Trial runs are held out there every so often, and its a common spot to run into 40+ high school kids. He wouldnt have listed specific time range if there wasnt an event being held I can assure you that much...
    Every trails a flow trail ifya would just learn how to ride-stop dumbing down the planet

  53. #53
    mtb'er
    Reputation: Empty_Beer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    3,478
    Quote Originally Posted by nachomc View Post
    Is there an event, or do you just suspect everyone will go to ride there?
    High school training/practice. Lots of kids/coaches, spread out in small groups at different paces, but it'll be busy all morning.

  54. #54
    mtbr member
    Reputation: nachomc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    6,724
    Quote Originally Posted by Empty_Beer View Post
    High school training/practice. Lots of kids/coaches, spread out in small groups at different paces, but it'll be busy all morning.
    Is Saturday the typical day for that kind of stuff? Would make sense. We always ride on Sunday (not just Salmon Falls; it's just the day my friends and I can make work). See ya in church.
    :wq

  55. #55
    huck to flat
    Reputation: The Trail Bum's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    556
    Quote Originally Posted by mestapho View Post
    Thanks! Nice edit on Pinkbike, by the way. Was that in Sly or Nevada City?
    Nevada City!

  56. #56
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    4,523
    Anyone done Pioneer Trail lately? I know it gets above 5k ft elevation so it might be a no go but I've been wanting to go...

  57. #57
    Captain One Lung SuperModerator
    Reputation: JCWages's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    3,249
    Quote Originally Posted by Alias530 View Post
    Anyone done Pioneer Trail lately? I know it gets above 5k ft elevation so it might be a no go but I've been wanting to go...
    Did It Saturday. Lots of snow on the upper section almost down to Harmony. Scott's Flat was mucky but ridable and fun. Miner's was wet but fun.

  58. #58
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    4,523
    Quote Originally Posted by JCWages View Post
    Did It Saturday. Lots of snow on the upper section almost down to Harmony. Scott's Flat was mucky but ridable and fun. Miner's was wet but fun.
    Damn, I was hoping to go out 15-20 miles from the 5 mile house and back for a 30-40 mile ride. Guess that's not happening...

  59. #59
    Captain One Lung SuperModerator
    Reputation: JCWages's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    3,249
    Quote Originally Posted by Alias530 View Post
    Damn, I was hoping to go out 15-20 miles from the 5 mile house and back for a 30-40 mile ride. Guess that's not happening...
    We got 24.7 starting on Pioneer then crossing at Harmony to Scott's Flat. Them down to the road and riding back up to Harmony. Hit Miner's then took the canal trail back to TONC. Not nearly the number of miles you want but it was pretty fun once we got out of the snow. I'd wager the snow melted today.

  60. #60
    Captain One Lung SuperModerator
    Reputation: JCWages's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    3,249
    I was just informed we started at White Cloud.

  61. #61
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    4,523
    I've only been there once so I don't know what anything but the 5 mile house is called... Thanks for the feedback!

  62. #62
    Captain One Lung SuperModerator
    Reputation: JCWages's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    3,249
    Quote Originally Posted by Alias530 View Post
    I've only been there once so I don't know what anything but the 5 mile house is called... Thanks for the feedback!
    White Cloud campground is just east of where Pioneer Trail cross Hwy20.

  63. #63
    mtb'er
    Reputation: Empty_Beer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    3,478
    Advisory for Saturday, February 27th: There's a sold out, 31 mile trail running race starting at Cronan Ranch and ending at Folsom Point. They start at 8am at Magnolia... should be done with SFART by Noon (as per their cut-off time). Sweetwater could be pretty busy from 10:30 - Noon+ as well. Consider hitting Salmon Falls/Darrington instead, if you have to hit the trails in the morning. No fun anyone if you're huffing up SFART and a hundred+ runners are coming towards you for a half hour.

    Salmon Falls 50k

  64. #64
    Captain One Lung SuperModerator
    Reputation: JCWages's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    3,249
    Quote Originally Posted by Empty_Beer View Post
    Advisory for Saturday, February 27th: There's a sold out, 31 mile trail running race starting at Cronan Ranch and ending at Folsom Point. They start at 8am at Magnolia... should be done with SFART by Noon (as per their cut-off time). Sweetwater could be pretty busy from 10:30 - Noon+ as well. Consider hitting Salmon Falls/Darrington instead, if you have to hit the trails in the morning. No fun anyone if you're huffing up SFART and a hundred+ runners are coming towards you for a half hour.

    Salmon Falls 50k
    Appreciate the heads up brotha!

  65. #65
    Ultra Ventanaphile
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Posts
    3,326
    Quote Originally Posted by Empty_Beer View Post
    Advisory for Saturday, February 27th: There's a sold out, 31 mile trail running race starting at Cronan Ranch and ending at Folsom Point. They start at 8am at Magnolia... should be done with SFART by Noon (as per their cut-off time). Sweetwater could be pretty busy from 10:30 - Noon+ as well. Consider hitting Salmon Falls/Darrington instead, if you have to hit the trails in the morning. No fun anyone if you're huffing up SFART and a hundred+ runners are coming towards you for a half hour.

    Salmon Falls 50k
    Thanks for the heads up, add TBF activities at Granite Bay all weekend as well. Anybody know the conditions of Sly Park/Fleming Meadows?
    -Aaron G.

    "Before D.W., "anti-squat" was referred to as pedal feedback."

  66. #66
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Brewtality's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    5,666
    There's Auburn too, if you can handle riding the glass smooth trails there.
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

  67. #67
    Captain One Lung SuperModerator
    Reputation: JCWages's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    3,249
    Quote Originally Posted by Brewtality View Post
    There's Auburn too, if you can handle riding the glass smooth trails there.
    My poor single ply tires can't handle glass much rougher.
    *not my video*

  68. #68
    Ultra Ventanaphile
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Posts
    3,326
    Quote Originally Posted by Brewtality View Post
    There's Auburn too, if you can handle riding the glass smooth trails there.

    Was that referring to me? Haven't ridden in Auburn in two or three years, mainly time limitations, being on 50 side of Sac, Auburn is 75-90 minutes of driving, Sly is just under an hour. When I only get a 6 hours hall pass, those extra 30 minutes each way, weigh heavily. Although all this Auburn talk did have me thinking about it.
    Last edited by Ciclistagonzo; 02-26-2016 at 03:58 PM.
    -Aaron G.

    "Before D.W., "anti-squat" was referred to as pedal feedback."

  69. #69
    huck to flat
    Reputation: The Trail Bum's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    556
    Quote Originally Posted by JCWages View Post
    My poor single ply tires can't handle glass much rougher.
    *not my video*
    whys that guy going so slow? he's even on a dh bike...

  70. #70
    Captain One Lung SuperModerator
    Reputation: JCWages's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    3,249
    Quote Originally Posted by The Trail Bum View Post
    whys that guy going so slow? he's even on a dh bike...
    Maybe he rides like me and is always on the lookout for wildflowers. lol Go too fast and it's hard to stop and take pictures.

  71. #71
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Brewtality's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    5,666
    Quote Originally Posted by Ciclistagonzo View Post
    Was that referring to me? Haven't ridden in Auburn in two or three years, mainly time limitations, being on 50 side of Sac, Auburn is 75-90 minutes of driving, Sly is just under an hour. When I only get a 6 hours hall pass, those extra 30 minutes each way, weigh heavily. Although all this Auburn talk did have me thinking about it.
    Nope. Check Sean Allen's Auburn Rant thread.
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

  72. #72
    mtbr member
    Reputation: squashyo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    4,634
    Quote Originally Posted by mestapho View Post
    here
    http://www.pinkbike.com/video/435619
    stupid forum won't embed
    Sweet kits! Dope vid.
    I'm not sure how this works.

  73. #73
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Darth Lefty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    148
    Commuted via ARBT this morning. Any pioneering efforts would be thwarted by downed trees. I did not travel anywhere shady but expect anywhere with a lot of trees to have a few of them knocked over.

    Six gates open at Nimbus.

  74. #74
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    4,523
    Anyone ridden Auburn in the last day or two? How is it?

  75. #75
    That makes me smart
    Reputation: Finch Platte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    13,463
    Hogan Lake in primo shape.
    Wanted: Cheapo pair of flat pedals. Bigger the better.

    Hogan trails from space!

  76. #76
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Darth Lefty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    148
    It was like that when I got here. You can't prove anything.

    As it dries out, things are going to keep falling over. Stay safe out there.

    Untitled by Darth Lefty, on Flickr

  77. #77
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ryanxj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,169
    I'm guessing, natomas near the aquatic center? ^
    Every trails a flow trail ifya would just learn how to ride-stop dumbing down the planet

  78. #78
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    351
    yep, a lot of downed trees in an around sacramento trails, careful out there

  79. #79
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Darth Lefty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    148
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanxj View Post
    I'm guessing, natomas near the aquatic center? ^
    Yes, sorry, the shunt from the parking lot to the pedestrian overpass

  80. #80
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ryanxj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,169
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Lefty View Post
    Yes, sorry, the shunt from the parking lot to the pedestrian overpass

    How damm good am I for nailing that?!

    Or is that a depressing stat?

    Not quit sure. Ill go with impressive, and say that you owe me a beer, just cuz I like it better that way
    Every trails a flow trail ifya would just learn how to ride-stop dumbing down the planet

  81. #81
    James.Hamilton
    Reputation: FullBladdy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    775
    Dumping rain around noon today so I called off my afternoon ride then it just thundered with no rain for the rest of the day, #$%*#@#$#!!! I suspect the trails will be in proper shape tomorrow for those who are lucky enough to enjoy the brown pow!

  82. #82
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Darth Lefty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    148
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanxj View Post
    How damm good am I for nailing that?!

    Or is that a depressing stat?

    Not quit sure. Ill go with impressive, and say that you owe me a beer, just cuz I like it better that way
    Beer is good

  83. #83
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    140
    Anyone ridden salmon falls since Monday's rain?

  84. #84
    Sweater
    Reputation: Buzzaro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    1,830
    Quote Originally Posted by duderidesabike View Post
    Anyone ridden salmon falls since Monday's rain?
    You may want to postpone your question for a few days. Forecast is calling for a bit of rain starting tomorrow and through the weekend.
    All out of S**** and down to my last F***

  85. #85
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    140
    Went for it. Hero dirt was shred.

  86. #86
    mtb'er
    Reputation: Empty_Beer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    3,478
    Heads up: FHDL area will be pretty busy at 9am tomorrow (Saturday, Nov. 5th), starting at Drivers Flat (the top parking area). HS mt. biking teams will be riding till about 11:30-12. The large group of kids and coaches/ride leaders (50+) breaks into about 6 smaller groups and spreads out quickly. I will encourage all groups to head out counter clockwise.... so if you're riding there in the morning, going clockwise might be less than ideal until after about 10am. Thank you for putting up with kids riding bikes :-)

  87. #87
    Captain One Lung SuperModerator
    Reputation: JCWages's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    3,249
    Quote Originally Posted by Empty_Beer View Post
    Heads up: FHDL area will be pretty busy at 9am tomorrow (Saturday, Nov. 5th), starting at Drivers Flat (the top parking area). HS mt. biking teams will be riding till about 11:30-12. The large group of kids and coaches/ride leaders (50+) breaks into about 6 smaller groups and spreads out quickly. I will encourage all groups to head out counter clockwise.... so if you're riding there in the morning, going clockwise might be less than ideal until after about 10am. Thank you for putting up with kids riding bikes :-)
    Damn kids!!!!


    Are they riding mostly FHDL and not into Connector/Culvert? Just checking in case we hit those in the AM. I don't want to be in their way.

  88. #88
    mtb'er
    Reputation: Empty_Beer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    3,478
    Quote Originally Posted by JCWages View Post
    Damn kids!!!!


    Are they riding mostly FHDL and not into Connector/Culvert? Just checking in case we hit those in the AM. I don't want to be in their way.
    The faster kids will ride FDHL/Connector/Culvert/Confluence/Clementine/Connector/FHDL... I'd say maybe 15 kids/adults
    The medium kids will probably do an out and back on Connector before heading back on FHDL ... maybe 20 kids/adults
    The newer kids will stick to FHDL ... maybe 15 kids/adults

    Everyone will be really spread out. Just ride with your head up... ear buds out... and ding your bell before going around turns, like usual on a weekend on the FHDL :-)

  89. #89
    Captain One Lung SuperModerator
    Reputation: JCWages's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    3,249
    Quote Originally Posted by Empty_Beer View Post
    The faster kids will ride FDHL/Connector/Culvert/Confluence/Clementine/Connector/FHDL... I'd say maybe 15 kids/adults
    The medium kids will probably do an out and back on Connector before heading back on FHDL ... maybe 20 kids/adults
    The newer kids will stick to FHDL ... maybe 15 kids/adults

    Everyone will be really spread out. Just ride with your head up... ear buds out... and ding your bell before going around turns, like usual on a weekend on the FHDL :-)
    Par for the course then. Thanks again for all you do.

  90. #90
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rzims's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    1,097
    damn kids always out there smiling and having fun...never even look like their working....could at least pretend to get tired like us old farts....sheesh!

  91. #91
    Captain One Lung SuperModerator
    Reputation: JCWages's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    3,249
    Quote Originally Posted by rzims View Post
    damn kids always out there smiling and having fun...never even look like their working....could at least pretend to get tired like us old farts....sheesh!
    I get smoked by the kids AND the old farts. :/

  92. #92
    Ride On!
    Reputation: NorthSideOf50's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    517
    Anyone know if the bridge is still above water to get from Sweetwater out to Salmon Falls ? I know that the rain had the river up quite a bit a week ago before the last series of storms.

  93. #93
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    259
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthSideOf50 View Post
    Anyone know if the bridge is still above water to get from Sweetwater out to Salmon Falls ? I know that the rain had the river up quite a bit a week ago before the last series of storms.
    Yes. Rode over it today.

  94. #94
    Lurkers Union - Local 916
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    362
    First ride in a long time, and GB was really nice Sunday am. Lots of friendly folks too. I lost the rebound on my rear shock earlier in the summer and finally got it fixed. It's amazing what a properly functioning rear shock feels like (thanks Fox!).

  95. #95
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    239
    Rode Hidden Falls yesterday. Perfect conditions. No dust.

    Auburn is probably similar.

    Salmon Falls was also perfect.

  96. #96
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    140
    Auburn was so grippy last weekend I superman'd over the bars to celebrate.

  97. #97
    Captain One Lung SuperModerator
    Reputation: JCWages's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    3,249
    Quote Originally Posted by duderidesabike View Post
    Auburn was so grippy last weekend I superman'd over the bars to celebrate.
    LOL me too!
    Central NorCal trail conditions (Auburn, Salmon Falls, GBay, etc)?-106201618449.jpg

  98. #98
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ryanxj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,169
    Im guessing its a good time to bump this and get some intel.

    My lazy azz hasnt been riding much, but have heard a couple first hand reports that granite bay is riding pretty good after the recent rains...
    Every trails a flow trail ifya would just learn how to ride-stop dumbing down the planet

  99. #99
    Captain One Lung SuperModerator
    Reputation: JCWages's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    3,249
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanxj View Post
    Im guessing its a good time to bump this and get some intel.

    My lazy azz hasnt been riding much, but have heard a couple first hand reports that granite bay is riding pretty good after the recent rains...
    Granite Bay is good, Auburn is no Bueno.

  100. #100
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    140
    Anyone dared ride Auburn since Thursday?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Salmon Falls Trail Conditions
    By mtnbiker4life in forum California - Norcal
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 01-02-2015, 08:10 PM
  2. Salmon Falls & Granite Bay trail conditions?
    By AK47 in forum California - Norcal
    Replies: 65
    Last Post: 04-27-2013, 04:51 PM
  3. How is Salmon Falls Vs. Auburn
    By digthemlows in forum California - Norcal
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-01-2012, 06:13 PM
  4. Salmon Falls trail conditions....
    By Buzzaro in forum California - Norcal
    Replies: 75
    Last Post: 09-28-2012, 02:20 PM
  5. Salmon Falls trail conditions - 1/14
    By AK47 in forum California - Norcal
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-14-2011, 05:52 PM

Members who have read this thread: 239

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •