Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Rode Skunk Hollow today. Almost all dry, save for a few muddy/watery spots that are easy enough to ride through. Only one large downed tree that is pretty easy to go under.

mtbr member
    Here is the video I shot of Sweetwater & Salmon Falls.

</robert> ::: B1KER.com - Be One

President of the Internet
    Quote Originally Posted by B1KER View Post
    Here is the video I shot of Sweetwater & Salmon Falls.

What hub do you have? that thing is crazy loud!
    Sometimes you eat the trail, sometimes the trail eats you.

Thinking of buying a home?
    http://Search-Sacramento-Homes.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Widgeontrail View Post
    What hub do you have? that thing is crazy loud!
    sounds like an I9 hub

mtbr member
    Yep, i9. I'm thinking I'm going to rebuild the wheels with different hubs and brakes. I totally hate the brakes. So annoying. That's what was on the bike when I bought it (used) and it was such a good deal there was no way I could let it pass. For YouTube it seems to be a little distracting. Some people love it, some people hate it. I think overall people won't b*tch about there not being a hub sound though.
    </robert> ::: B1KER.com - Be One

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    I love my i9's, who needs a bear bell with a a nest of angry bees chasing you! I'd agree though they aren't the best for YouTube (though a little hub noise does give the viewer an idea of when you're coasting/pumping vs peddling bursts on the trail/dh) but I'm not really a fan of totally silent hubs.

I have heard that freshly greased i9's are noticeably quieter and they tend to get louder as they get drier.

huck to flat
    Rode Auburn today and it was really good.

We did Clementine -> brief part of Connector to Foresthill Rd -> Eastside -> Stonewall + Rocky -> Confluence.

Everything was ripping! little puddles here and there but nothing bad. Im sure the flatter trails (culvert) are still terrible.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Terribly jealous thx for the report

Quote Originally Posted by The Trail Bum View Post
    Rode Auburn today and it was really good.

We did Clementine -> brief part of Connector to Foresthill Rd -> Eastside -> Stonewall + Rocky -> Confluence.

Everything was ripping! little puddles here and there but nothing bad. Im sure the flatter trails (culvert) are still terrible.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Anyone have the scoop on salmon falls/darrington? Is it drying out yet?

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Yes, any update on Salmon Falls and also Forest Hill divide trail? Looking to ride this weekend!

fRIDEday makes me happy!
    I just hit up Salmon falls with a little of SFART. Things are looking good, get out and get some!

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    May update on Forest Hill divide trail status?

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by buggymancan View Post
    May update on Forest Hill divide trail status?
    Rode it this morning. Only the road sections are crappy. Otherwise I don't think you'd be doing any more damage than has already been done. Right down the middle folks, lets not make it any wider than it already is.......
    Connector is good and Stonewall is drying out a bit finally.

more skier than biker
    Nov 2006
    I did an inspection lap of the annual Cool race course yesterday (race is next Sunday) on the Olmstead Loop in Cool and I was expecting biblical muddy conditions, but I was very pleasantly surprised at how overall dry it was (especially the first half of the course).

The course is 'wet' for sure, but it is not that muddy if that makes sense. The first half before the Knickerbocker creek crossing is super dry. Just a handful of puddles and wet spots, some are avoidable, others aren't but generally you just splash right through.

Knickerbocker Creek is LOW. The lowest it has been for the race in 2 years maybe. Past two years I was dismounting and running through knee to thigh deep water. Yesterday, it was slightly more than tire deep...easy. And the climb out is good.

After the climb out of the creek the course definitely has more runoff on it than the first half, but for a lot of it, the ground is firm underneath. So you're splashing, but you're not slogging through mud or grinding up bike parts like at GB.

The big bog at the base of the last climb with the yellow house at the top is pretty dry. Just one puddle to splash through after the wooden bridge, and the bog itself is dry. Last year it was like churning through sludge.

And then at the end of the lap, the crowd pleasing water trap is very easy to navigate through. Not bad at all, unless you decide to go right through the middle......

Anyway, I hope people turn out for this race. It's been going for something like 24 years, and in my opinion, despite being less singletrack, it is more a better 'race' course than laps and laps and laps at Granite Bay. It is certainly harder, and it is certainly more "mountain bikey" in my opinion.

The descents are pretty fun. The rains have made them chunkier and there are some new deeper ruts to keep you on your toes. Really got to keep your eyes up and scanning the trail far ahead when you get moving.....
    Kappius Components Ambassador - Ping me a note for a discount code

mtb'er
    Quote Originally Posted by Empty_Beer View Post
    Don't worry... ASRA should have a trail maintenance day scheduled by 2023 to give Culvert some love... if you can wait that long ;-)
    Well sh!t howdy... I was wrong!!

Culvert maintenance day this coming Monday (May 1).... lead by ASRA, with help from FATRAC and other volunteers.

Why Monday, you ask? Something about that's the only time ASRA can get a new trail/ranger out to help/oversee the work. Kinda lame but it does sound like there will be people showing up. So if you are underemployed or free to help, please show up.... especially those that rode it in the muddy conditions: mzorich, jcwages, alias530, duderidesabike.... (people who commented in this thread that it is "trashed")

https://www.meetup.com/FATRAC/events/239545302/

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Anybody been up to Sly Park recently? Trail 8 area still muddy?

mtbr member
    trail 8 is good to go. I rode it last week and it was great.

Captain One Lung SuperModerator

Culvert maintenance day this coming Monday (May 1).... lead by ASRA, with help from FATRAC and other volunteers.

Why Monday, you ask? Something about that's the only time ASRA can get a new trail/ranger out to help/oversee the work. Kinda lame but it does sound like there will be people showing up. So if you are underemployed or free to help, please show up.... especially those that rode it in the muddy conditions: mzorich, jcwages, alias530, duderidesabike.... (people who commented in this thread that it is "trashed")

Haha my reports were 2nd hand. Jeni kept riding it with Paige. She'll be out there helping. I have to work.

Broken but on the mend

I work monday so thats a no go. I also think this should be done after the race.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Pretty much everything in the greater sac area is good to go.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123