mtbr member
    Jun 2005

CCCX XC Race Photos (June 23)

The CCCX XC Race Photos have been posted at:

http://bikeguy.smugmug.com/Mtn%20Bik...ictures/338842

Standard Disclaimer: These photos are straight from the camera and really should be edited for exposure at least and sharpened. Please feel free to use for your personnel use.

I'll be posting edited, full-sized photos later in the week; so you may want to wait until later in the week. If you have a specific photo, you would like to see, either post a reply or email me.

Regards
    Rick

XC rider

... and if we just ...

Thanks Rick!!!!
    ccorc.org

mtbr member
    Rick Thanks for the photos.

Heres my race report.

The CCCX 8 race at East Garrison could not have been nicer. The Sun was out 8am with a light breeze and the Poison Oak seems to be in remission.

I went out for a warm up lap a little after 8 to check out the new course layout (each race always has a new twist) It seems that some kids late Friday had decided to move some of the course markers for fun. A few other riders and I were able to put them back in place before the start.

This course was fast and a little sandy in spots

I raced 45+ beginners,

On the start I was running in about 4th when we hit the dirt and after the first short climb I was able to move up into 2nd. Steve Germany was out front and did not look back! The sand played a big part in my race today with more then a few OMG I think Iím going down, but some how made it through. I ended up placing 2nd today and will need to find some extra speed for next weekends final race of the season to give Steve a run for the money.

Photos

1- Me

2 - Steve Germany (fast guy)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Lusus Naturae
    Doesnt Steve look like he's on a heavy bike?

I gotta try one of these races for fun!

MarkyMark
    Congrats on the 2nd place finish, Jeff!

Quote Originally Posted by jeffh
    On the start I was running in about 4th when we hit the dirt and after the first short climb I was able to move up into 2nd. Steve Germany was out front and did not look back! The sand played a big part in my race today with more then a few OMG I think Iím going down, but some how made it through. I ended up placing 2nd today and will need to find some extra speed for next weekends final race of the season to give Steve a run for the money.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    thanks for the great photos rick!

Ruby Red Slippered One
    Hey! I didn't think beginners were supposed to shave their legs.

Off to Jr. Track then Road Nats. Hopefully will get some riding in when we are out in Monterey for the GP races next month.
    --The day you stop riding is the day you die

mtbr member
    I salvaged 3rd in my group.. Wasnt feeling too good going into the race. Made a wrong turn, and blew through a couple of turns in the first couple laps. Held off the 4th and 5th place racers in a fun/competetive final lap, so I am happy. 1st and 2nd won by a lot. Congrats to the guy that got first (Jesse).. he's been improving all year.

Thanks Rick for the pictures!

rj2
    mtbr member

Current points leader, Men's Sport 45-54

It sounds great, until you do the math and only keep the top six races. Then it becomes 5th or off the podium entirely. It looks good, if only to remind me what's possible. As long as the top 5 guys move up to Expert next year, I should be golden in '08.

I've doubled my training volume since the last race and don't feel any additional soreness. Here are the test results.

I managed my energy much better this race vs. the last one. I ate a larger breakfast, almost twice as much as normal. During my warmup lap, I ate half a Cliff Bar and drank 20 oz. of Accelerade.

I was 4th or 5th as we reached the single track and was passed by a few during the first lap. I made sure to take some Hammer Gel and Accelerade every lap to maintain my energy stores. Although, I felt a little hungry on the 2nd lap.

I looked down at my timer atter the 3rd lap, 59 minutes and change. That pace wasn't going to cut itóI had two more laps to go and the winning times in previous races were in the 1.5 hour range. I was feeling good, so I picked up the pace and started passing riders again. I didn't recognize any of the jerseys and didn't look back at the number plates, so I didn't know if they were in my group. Since I didn't see much grey hair, they were probably in another age bracket.

Near the end of the 4th lap, I finally passed someone in my group. I continued to fuel up and passed more riders on the final lap. I had a really strong finish, as I passed three more riders within the final 200 meters. I made a really sweet low to high pass on the final switchback, powered up the last single track climb up to the fire road finish, and caught another rider before the line.

My time for the final two laps was 40 minutes, finishing in 1 hr. 41 min. for 6th place, 7 min. 37 sec. off the leader. A good day.

The final race is next Saturday. It's also the 2nd race in the NorCal XC series (http://www.teambigfoot.net/bigfootclassic07.htm), so it should be a much larger field.

P.S. Buji Block and Buji Wash are really keeping the PO away. http://www.bujiproducts.com/

Let's ride
    Quote Originally Posted by grrrah
    I salvaged 3rd in my group.. Wasnt feeling too good going into the race. Made a wrong turn, and blew through a couple of turns in the first couple laps. Held off the 4th and 5th place racers in a fun/competetive final lap, so I am happy. 1st and 2nd won by a lot. Congrats to the guy that got first (Jesse).. he's been improving all year.

Thanks Rick for the pictures!
    I thought you ran off course and hit a tree. Just rumor?

mtbr member

Results have been posted

The results are posted for Race 8

http://cccx.org/mtb/2007/race8/index.shtml

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rensho
    I thought you ran off course and hit a tree. Just rumor?
    not a rumor, but two seperate bloopers. It was more of a big bush than a tree.

wow, I didnt realize I was only 17 seconds behind... they were out of site the last 1/2 lap.

Let's ride
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffh
    The results are posted for Race 8

http://cccx.org/mtb/2007/race8/index.shtml
    Hmmmm, the 45 yo rider laid waste to the entire beginner field?

Rafael, you needed to suck up another 20-30 seconds and go for the win.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rensho
    Hmmmm, the 45 yo rider laid waste to the entire beginner field?

Rafael, you needed to suck up another 20-30 seconds and go for the win.
    I'm blaming it on all the IPA and fried chicken I have had in the past 4 weeks.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005

Edited Pictures from the race

I've just posted a bunch of edited full-sized pictures at:

http://bikeguy.smugmug.com/gallery/3059160#167027186

If you want to grab any of these, move the cursor over the photo and select the Save Photo option to save on your hard disk. These are full -sized files so it may take a while. These have been edited to print 8X10 or 8X11 on glossy photo paper. Any issues, drop me a line.

Regards
    Rick

Members who have read this thread: 0