Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 95
  1. #1
    Flying Goat
    Reputation: mrpercussive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    11,326

    CCCX Saturday, Sunday (edit)... who's going?

    ANyone?

  2. #2
    Up and ridin' again.
    Reputation: Velodromed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    171

    Cccx #5

    Quote Originally Posted by mrpercussive
    ANyone?
    Yup, first race 'o the year for me. From all the posts, Toro sounds like a fun course. Tire recomendations anyone? Not brand name- just should I run my fatties or skinnies?
    Doug
    "I do all my own stunts."

  3. #3
    Flying Goat
    Reputation: mrpercussive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    11,326
    i dunno... gonna be my first race ever... I heard the course is more of a Super D though... not really DH... a lot of pedaling and smoother then Sea Otter... lol I think running 2.35 Minions should be fine for the day...

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Killroy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    908
    Going, yup.

  5. #5
    fc
    fc is online now
    mtbr founder Administrator
    Reputation: fc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1996
    Posts
    24,367
    I'm there! Singlespeed sport represent.

    fc
    IPA will save America

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: paintballeerXC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    1,973
    hey everyone he talk about DH, just to let u know, most ppl think XC, im going to be there rocken the AS-X, and rogue shirt, say hi . i will also be listen to music on the climb up o and rocken some sweet sun shades

  7. #7
    Flying Goat
    Reputation: mrpercussive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    11,326
    hahaha... yea.... i'm talking about the DH... but it's all good. If you guys are there for other events, i'll be sure to say hi anyways... lol. Looks like i finally get to meet the paintballer? lol

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: paintballeerXC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    1,973
    Quote Originally Posted by mrpercussive
    hahaha... yea.... i'm talking about the DH... but it's all good. If you guys are there for other events, i'll be sure to say hi anyways... lol. Looks like i finally get to meet the paintballer? lol
    o ya, but the XC races are in a different part of the park, i think, never seen there races at the same places as ares

  9. #9
    bicycle rider
    Reputation: morganfletcher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    2,711
    Hey Francis, see you at the xc race. I'll be in the cyclesports / team oakland jersey, probably on a red blur. I think I'm racing sport 35+.

    I'd do the dh, but then I'd win so hard that everyone'd be devastated and they'd cry and they'd have to have another race for everyone else special olympics style. Cause I totally slay. So I'll just do the xc.

    Morgan

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: DennistheMennis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    8

    Uh, you talking about CCCX#5? If so...

    ...it's Saturday. At least that's what their website sez:

    http://www.cccx.org/mtb/2007/

    Let me know if I got this wrong. If not, I should see youse Saturday!

  11. #11
    bikerbert
    Reputation: bikerbert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    1,081
    I'm staging my return to fat tire racing on Saturday, Sport 35+. It will be good to see you again Morgan!

  12. #12
    dude with orange car
    Reputation: Plim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    2,660
    Quote Originally Posted by mrpercussive
    ANyone?
    You had it right the first time. The DH is Sunday.

    http://www.cccx.org/dh/2007/

    XC is Saturday. http://www.cccx.org/mtb/2007/

    Quote Originally Posted by morganfletcher
    I'd do the dh, but then I'd win so hard that everyone'd be devastated and they'd cry and they'd have to have another race for everyone else special olympics style. Cause I totally slay.
    Nuh-uh.

    I'm hella faster than you at downhill, ridin' my front suspension (100mm BAYBEE!!) with my spandex shorts all halfway down my bum gangsta-style, all making everyone just go home 'cause they're too slow and making all the girls scream 'cause they saw part of my bum and want to see more.
    This is no time for levity. - Oliver Hardy

  13. #13
    Flying Goat
    Reputation: mrpercussive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    11,326
    who edited the topic??? I MEANT SUNDAY!!! CCCX DH!!! lol

  14. #14
    YESBRO!!!
    Reputation: datenschwanz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    1,162
    i'm there for the xC on sat.

  15. #15
    menace to myself & others
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    362
    I will be there, assuming transport works out. Sport 35+ like everybody else, riding a really small Anthem.

  16. #16
    VRC Illuminati
    Reputation: Rumpfy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    17,496
    I'll be there to hold it down for the vintage in Sport 19-35 XC.
    -eric-

    http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jeffh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,306
    Yes Carmen and I will be there also.

    We will see if we learned anything from HCW that we can use at Toro

  18. #18
    dude with orange car
    Reputation: Plim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    2,660
    Quote Originally Posted by mrpercussive
    who edited the topic??? I MEANT SUNDAY!!! CCCX DH!!! lol
    Hah-hah! (In Nelson voice.)

    The mods threadjacked you. Time to start another thread for DH, methinks.
    This is no time for levity. - Oliver Hardy

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: paintballeerXC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    1,973
    Quote Originally Posted by DennistheMennis
    ...it's Saturday. At least that's what their website sez:

    http://www.cccx.org/mtb/2007/

    Let me know if I got this wrong. If not, I should see youse Saturday!
    Sunday, see mrpercusive this is what happens when you leave it open ended topics in the Nor CAl forum, they go XC!!!!!!!!! jk, but ya im there on sunday

  20. #20
    Flying Goat
    Reputation: mrpercussive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    11,326
    sigh... got problems now... bart doesnt run early enough for me to get to CV to get a ride to CCCX sunday... anyone mind picking me up or something???

  21. #21
    XC rider
    Reputation: ninjaboot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    278
    There is going to be a Fresno delegation. About 4 or 5 going to race xc. See you all there, wave to the guys in spatdog green as you pass by.

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Sabine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    682
    I'm going. Just haven't figured out what I am racing yet. Actually since Francis is doing the ss, I think I'll opt out of that. I'm not ready to battle him yet.

    Michael is coming to race too. His once a year mtb race.

    Sabine

  23. #23
    fc
    fc is online now
    mtbr founder Administrator
    Reputation: fc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1996
    Posts
    24,367
    Quote Originally Posted by morganfletcher
    Hey Francis, see you at the xc race. I'll be in the cyclesports / team oakland jersey, probably on a red blur. I think I'm racing sport 35+.

    I'd do the dh, but then I'd win so hard that everyone'd be devastated and they'd cry and they'd have to have another race for everyone else special olympics style. Cause I totally slay. So I'll just do the xc.

    Morgan
    See you there. I'll be in the roadbikereview jersey.

    fc
    IPA will save America

  24. #24
    fc
    fc is online now
    mtbr founder Administrator
    Reputation: fc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1996
    Posts
    24,367
    Quote Originally Posted by Sabine
    I'm going. Just haven't figured out what I am racing yet. Actually since Francis is doing the ss, I think I'll opt out of that. I'm not ready to battle him yet.

    Michael is coming to race too. His once a year mtb race.

    Sabine
    There's an opening in SS expert for you. hee-hah.

    fc
    IPA will save America

  25. #25
    fc
    fc is online now
    mtbr founder Administrator
    Reputation: fc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1996
    Posts
    24,367
    Dang, that was a fun event. How did y'all do?

    Saw so many friends!! A lot of them crashed though but none too badly.

    francois
    IPA will save America

  26. #26
    bikerbert
    Reputation: bikerbert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    1,081
    that course was great! Now that I'm not doing them, I thought all of the climbing added a great chess match element in terms of how hard, when, and for how long. The decents were a blast, and I think my handling skills got better today for sure. Tick it was good to meet you. It was also good to FINALLY meet the legendary Francois, I'm looking forward to a Thu night at the Gap with you fellas. Thanks to RJ3 for the very tasty and well timed Sierra Nevada.

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jeffh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,306
    It looks like HCW is paying off for me now. Last year in CCCX, I was lucky to be in the top 10. Today I won my second CCCX race at Toro Park, (love that climb)

    I have recently converted my Niner to a 1 X 9 set up from SS in preparation for Sea Otter XC. Friday night when installing a new cassette, 12 X 23 (itís like a SS with a few extra gears) it was just not shifting right and its 10pm the night before my race! I discovered I had a bent Derailleur hanger, after about 45 min. and a few tweaks the bike was shifting like it should. All I could think about was a skipping chain on the long climbs. Hmmm, maybe SS isnít that bad after all.

    The race went very well, I was able to take the lead at the start and never looked back. I was well into the two classes that started ahead of me halfway through the first climb and the bike was shifting like a champ.

    Looks like I will be in Sport next year.

    Carmen has a lot of picís of the Sports race and she hope to have some of them posted by Sunday night.

    francois thank's for the Socks.

    Hereís my Motion Based link for the race.

    http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/i...kValue=2359723

  28. #28
    bike dork extraordinaire
    Reputation: sirkrameroy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    624
    That was a fun course! Having never ridden it before the race, I took it easy on the first lap to get familiar, but by the fourth lap that downhill was really starting to get fun. The climb was also not too bad. Solid middle ring effort with only a few short steep spots. I finished mid-pack, which sure beats the last place result from race #3.

    Way to go Francis for not only passing me with ease on the first lap, but also nabbing a top five finish. And congrats to Jeff for another win. Sport class awaits...

  29. #29
    bicycle rider
    Reputation: morganfletcher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    2,711
    Quote Originally Posted by francois
    Dang, that was a fun event. How did y'all do?

    Saw so many friends!! A lot of them crashed though but none too badly.

    francois
    Francis, good to meet you. It was fun, lots of friends. I love the CCCX races, cross and mountain.

    I got 3rd in sport 35+, just missed 2nd. Your friend Cesar (name?) beat me. Woulda coulda shoulda. That was my first time on the Toro course. It was so... binary! Brutal climb, sexy singletrack descent, repeat.

    Here's my tracks for the race, check out the per-lap data:

    http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/2362868

    My wife Lauren posted some photos from the race.

    Morgan
    Last edited by morganfletcher; 04-01-2007 at 06:07 AM.

  30. #30
    fc
    fc is online now
    mtbr founder Administrator
    Reputation: fc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1996
    Posts
    24,367
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerbert
    that course was great! Now that I'm not doing them, I thought all of the climbing added a great chess match element in terms of how hard, when, and for how long. The decents were a blast, and I think my handling skills got better today for sure. Tick it was good to meet you. It was also good to FINALLY meet the legendary Francois, I'm looking forward to a Thu night at the Gap with you fellas. Thanks to RJ3 for the very tasty and well timed Sierra Nevada.
    Right on Al. Sounds like your race came together nicely. So what was your trick for not cramping?

    I cramped before the crest of the 4rth lap. So I put it in a low gear and just winced.

    fc
    Last edited by fc; 03-31-2007 at 09:40 PM.
    IPA will save America

  31. #31
    bikerbert
    Reputation: bikerbert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    1,081
    I don't know if there is a trick, because I had some twitch legs on the last lap climbing. The only thing that saved me was the gel my wife gave me before the lap started. Here's what a nutritionist friend told me:

    1) Day before race: 3:1 ratio of water to a bottle of your favorite secret sauce (Heed, Cytomax, etc). She also said race day hydration starts 2-3 days before the event.

    2) Race morning: get up by 7am and start hydrating, and drink a bottle of sauce on the way to the venue. Sauce bottle during the warm up, and don't eat anything solid two hours before race time. I also took some Endurolytes and Sport Legs about an hour before the race. This is where a gel flask comes in handy.

    3) During the race: I'm extremely lucky because my wife goes to the races, and gives me a fresh bottle every lap if I need it, and gels if I'm out. Today I went through three bottles, two gel flasks, and a right before the last climb to keep the bad man away in my legs.

    4) Post race: she wants me to drink either Endurox or Accelerade to get some protein until I can get something solid to eat.

    Hope this helps!

  32. #32
    fc
    fc is online now
    mtbr founder Administrator
    Reputation: fc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1996
    Posts
    24,367
    Quote Originally Posted by morganfletcher
    Francis, good to meet you. It was fun, lots of friends. I love the CCCX races, cross and mountain.

    I got 3rd in sport 35+, just missed 2nd. Your friend Cesar (name?) beat me. Woulda coulda shoulda. That was my first time on the Toro course. It was so... binary! Brutal climb, sexy singletrack descent, repeat.

    Here's my tracks for the race, check out the per-lap data:

    http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/2360781

    My wife Lauren posted some photos from the race.

    Morgan
    Nice!! Is that moving time accurate on your motionbased? My time was around 1:32 as well. So we climbed 3,434 feet that fast? Optimistic motionbased prob'ly.

    Cesar huh? That guy took the year off biking last year. Maybe he was just in secret training. He looks so damn light.

    Cool family shots!

    fc
    IPA will save America

  33. #33
    fc
    fc is online now
    mtbr founder Administrator
    Reputation: fc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1996
    Posts
    24,367
    Quote Originally Posted by sirkrameroy
    That was a fun course! Having never ridden it before the race, I took it easy on the first lap to get familiar, but by the fourth lap that downhill was really starting to get fun. The climb was also not too bad. Solid middle ring effort with only a few short steep spots. I finished mid-pack, which sure beats the last place result from race #3.

    Way to go Francis for not only passing me with ease on the first lap, but also nabbing a top five finish. And congrats to Jeff for another win. Sport class awaits...
    I had zero warm-up since I was so late but I pinnned it on the first lap. I was lucky to survive.

    That descent was sketchy on the first lap. Rigid fork gave me a little beat down.

    I have the Astrix Monk for you to test. I think it's just your size.

    fc
    IPA will save America

  34. #34
    Flying Goat
    Reputation: mrpercussive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    11,326
    sigh... not going anymore... bart doesnt run early enough to get me to where i have to be to catch a ride... sux balls... oh well, there's still NUMBO, and CHDH

  35. #35
    bike dork extraordinaire
    Reputation: sirkrameroy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    624
    Quote Originally Posted by francois
    I had zero warm-up since I was so late but I pinnned it on the first lap. I was lucky to survive.

    That descent was sketchy on the first lap. Rigid fork gave me a little beat down.

    I have the Astrix Monk for you to test. I think it's just your size.

    fc
    A monk to test? Sounds divine!

    Big wheels and full suspension would have been just the ticket on that downhill singletrack we hit today. Let me know when it's convenient this week and I'll swing by to pick it up.

  36. #36
    mtbr member
    Reputation: paintballeerXC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    1,973
    Quote Originally Posted by mrpercussive
    sigh... not going anymore... bart doesnt run early enough to get me to where i have to be to catch a ride... sux balls... oh well, there's still NUMBO, and CHDH
    thats to bad, i think u and i were the only DH on this thread

  37. #37
    Broken and dizzy
    Reputation: Surfinguru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    695
    Talk about thread hijack! The OP was asking about the DH series on Sunday...

    Check Ridemonkey's Bay Area Forum...more discussion there. Oh yeah, I'll be there tomorrow trying to go 3 for 3.



  38. #38
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jeffh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,306
    After looking at Morgan's Motion Based times all I need to do is bring my average speed up 1 mph + and add a lap of pain, to be near the front in Sport

    Gee it seems so simple, but it's so hard.

  39. #39
    bicycle rider
    Reputation: morganfletcher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    2,711
    Quote Originally Posted by francois
    Nice!! Is that moving time accurate on your motionbased? My time was around 1:32 as well. So we climbed 3,434 feet that fast? Optimistic motionbased prob'ly.

    Cesar huh? That guy took the year off biking last year. Maybe he was just in secret training. He looks so damn light.

    Cool family shots!

    fc


    I think it's accurate. I forgot to turn it off after my race, had an extra ten minutes on lap four, so I edited the xml and cut out everything after the finish line latitude / longitude. MB still shows the total time including my post-race knuckleheadedness. Edit: fixed it.

    Now it's just shy of 5AM, and I'm doing it all over again. We had to get up at 4:30 yesterday to be there in time for my wife's 9AM race. Today I'm workng at the Vuelta de Brisbeen. My team helps put it on. Then race with the medium old guys at 1. Tonight I am going to sleep!

    We got zero racing pics, but plenty of goofy pics. Kids had a good time in spite of driving "forever".

    Morgan
    Last edited by morganfletcher; 04-01-2007 at 06:08 AM.

  40. #40
    bicycle rider
    Reputation: morganfletcher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    2,711
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffh
    After looking at Morgan's Motion Based times all I need to do is bring my average speed up 1 mph + and add a lap of pain, to be near the front in Sport

    Gee it seems so simple, but it's so hard.
    Oh dude it's true. Still if you won the beginner race you belong with the sports! It's an upward path. And the sports are nothing like the experts. Nothing will make you go faster than racing a category up. It's eye-opening just how much faster some fields are, but on the flip side you have that much capacity for improvement in you, if you want it. That's one of the reasons why I love racing.

    Morgan

  41. #41
    bikerbert
    Reputation: bikerbert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    1,081
    I agree with Morgan 100%. Last year was a pretty good one for me (five top fives), but this year, WHOA MAMA! The learning curve got a lot steeper, but yesterday's race was the best one yet, and I think I finished 16 or so mins off the lead. But, my first race was 20 mins off, and the 2nd one was a DNF. Life is definitely on its way to getting better on the bike.

    One of the things that has helped is doing road races. Nothing builds race fitness like, well, racing, and there are a ton of skinny tire races around the Bay Area.

  42. #42
    mtbr member
    Reputation: paintballeerXC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    1,973
    for those of who went DHing today, it was a great course and i had lots of fun and hope u all did to

  43. #43
    Broken and dizzy
    Reputation: Surfinguru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    695
    Yep, another fun course. Missed first by .01 seconds - d*mn!



  44. #44
    mtbr member
    Reputation: paintballeerXC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    1,973
    that sucks, what was your time

  45. #45
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ibikergal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    242

    Photos From Sat. Sport Class

    I am still learning to use my new camera but I got some pictures of MTBR members in action!!

    1. datenschwanz
    2. sirkrameroy
    3. francois
    4. rj2
    Attached Images Attached Images

  46. #46
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ibikergal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    242
    Just a couple of more photos.

    1. rumpfy
    2. bikerbert
    Attached Images Attached Images

  47. #47
    Broken and dizzy
    Reputation: Surfinguru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    695
    Quote Originally Posted by paintballeerXC
    that sucks, what was your time
    4:13.32. Not bad, not great, but alot of fun!



  48. #48
    mtbr member
    Reputation: paintballeerXC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    1,973
    Quote Originally Posted by Surfinguru
    4:13.32. Not bad, not great, but alot of fun!
    i got a 4;20 i though i did better than i actually did
    heres a pic
    <a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank"><img src="http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k309/mt-bikeislife/IMG_1468.jpg" border="0" alt="Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket"></a>

  49. #49
    VRC Illuminati
    Reputation: Rumpfy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    17,496
    Quote Originally Posted by ibikergal
    Just a couple of more photos.

    1. rumpfy
    2. bikerbert

    Nice!
    Thanks Carmen!
    -eric-

    http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

  50. #50
    bikerbert
    Reputation: bikerbert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    1,081
    Carment,

    That's a great shot! Thank you very much. I sent it to my folks and my rotten wife.

    Al

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. CCCX DH Race #4: Sunday 11/5/06 (NorCal Super D Championship)
    By Rumpfy in forum California - Norcal
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 11-06-2006, 12:52 PM
  2. CCCX DH #3 This Sunday!
    By Rumpfy in forum California - Norcal
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 10-12-2006, 11:14 AM
  3. What's a better day, Saturday or Sunday?
    By Debaser in forum Endurance XC Racing
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-27-2006, 09:54 PM
  4. Last CCCX race is Sunday, 7-02!!!!!!
    By Captain Kana in forum California - Norcal
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-28-2006, 10:44 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •