Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    bicycle rider
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirt_Diggler
    who here raced tires that they liked on that course? i want something light and fast for sea otter.
    I was running Schwalbe Racing Ralph 2.1" UST tires at about 35psi front and rear, with a little Stans on Mavic 819 UST rims. Perfecto! They're my cccx / sea otter tires.

Morgan (203lbs)

~~~~~~~
    Quote Originally Posted by morganfletcher
    I was running Schwalbe Racing Ralph 2.1" UST tires at about 35psi front and rear, with a little Stans on Mavic 819 UST rims. Perfecto! They're my cccx / sea otter tires.

Morgan (203lbs)
    schwalbe makes excellent tires. though i've never ridden their mtb stuff, i've never been more satisfied with their road tires. fast, light, durable and STICKY when it counts, both in the corners and in the rain. where did you pick them up? we carry their road stuff at www.Velotechcycles.com in palo alto, but there will be no way i can get mtb tires in time to get used to them and race on them for sea otter.

mtbr member

Morgan (203lbs)
    I ran the ralphs on the rear and a knobby nic (both 2.1) on the front and it was a great combination for that course. I like the way the nics dig in a little more than the ralphs on some of the sketchier corners. Schwalbes run sweeter at lower tire pressures, so the only negative was the excess squish on the paved sections...but those were thankfully short.

Sabine

bicycle rider
    where did you pick them up?
    I got them via a New Mexico connection. I would definitely get them again. They're not super durable. I take them off after each race. I also got a set of UST Racing Ralphs the next size up, 2.25 UST. I haven't tried them yet. Trying Nobby Nic's next, on my Blur, just for fun. Not sure if they'll be tuff enuff for Downieville but they look like good tires. Want to try the Fat Albert too.

I've heard good things about the Maxxis Advantage too. I'd try those.

I raced CCCX on my Blur. It was definitely too much squish for that course. I'm building a light hard tail. It probably won't be ready in time for Sea Otter but that's my kinda bike for those courses. The Blur felt good on the singletrack tho, and it was nice to bomb the rocks / root right before the finish.

Morgan, kind of a tire junkie

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by francois
    Some highlights!!

- JeffH continues to dominate his group. Last year, he couldn't break out of mid-pack beginner. This year, watchout!

- Aussie Bob hasn't missed a race yet. His knees are starting to complain he said.

- Dirt_Diggler had the second fastest time in sport. Dammm.

- Last race, the singlespeed crushers (Michael and Erik) put 7 minutes on me! This race, just 2 minutes

- DennistheMennis who won all his sport races to date, upgraded to expert. Gracious.

- Sabine in Expert/Pro women cranked out 5 laps in style.

- the winner of Pro Class, Corey Ward is Photo-John's half brother.

- Mike Donahue, in expert singlespeed was in the lead pack of 5 geared expert/pros for a few laps.

others?

fc
    Thanks, but it was 6 if you count the warm up lap, which was the most stylie of the laps.

And congrats to PJ's bro, that was quite the battle between him and two older but not slower hammers.

Dang...Francis, you went and got fast on me!

And you guys were the best cheering section ever.

I've got some pics here
    http://velobellababble.blogspot.com/...s-i-stole.html

and my lame report here
    http://velobellabb.com/forum13/507.html

so good to see everyone

Sabine

mtbr member
    I got them via a New Mexico connection. I would definitely get them again. They're not super durable. I take them off after each race. I also got a set of UST Racing Ralphs the next size up, 2.25 UST. I haven't tried them yet. Trying Nobby Nic's next, on my Blur, just for fun. Not sure if they'll be tuff enuff for Downieville but they look like good tires. Want to try the Fat Albert too.

I've heard good things about the Maxxis Advantage too. I'd try those.

I raced CCCX on my Blur. It was definitely too much squish for that course. I'm building a light hard tail. It probably won't be ready in time for Sea Otter but that's my kinda bike for those courses. The Blur felt good on the singletrack tho, and it was nice to bomb the rocks / root right before the finish.

Morgan, kind of a tire junkie
    I've got the Fat Alberts on my SS and I love them, especially on a hard tail for the added few millimeters of squish. They really need to be run at very low pressures. At higher pressures I hated them, but love them low. Too much tire for Sea Otter/CCCX but might be nice for Downieville. They are my Soquel Demo tires. They are the closest replacement I have found for my favorite WTBs.

Sabine

bicycle rider
    I ran 2.35" Maxxis Ignitor UST tires on my SS and I liked them - yeah, even 30psi felt too hard.

Thanks, Sabine! Good to see you Sat. I thought something was wrong when I saw you on your warm up lap, didn't realize you weren't racing. My brain workn't wasing too good with the lack of oxygen and stuff.

Morgan

What would Pimpbot do?
    I cramped before the crest of the 4rth lap. So I put it in a low gear and just winced.

fc
    But you rode in SS class Is "so I put it in low gear" SS-speak for "I got out of the saddle and wonk-wonk-wonk"? I gotta learn this hipster SS jargon.
    "I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself." - D.H. Lawrence

swag ho Administrator
    Paging Morgan Fletcher. This is a race write-up from Cesar, who finished 1 second ahead of you.

It's kind of a hard read... but insightful.

francois

http://z9.invisionfree.com/Tropa/ind...?showtopic=171
    IPA will save America

bicycle rider
    Paging Morgan Fletcher. This is a race write-up from Cesar, who finished 1 second ahead of you.

It's kind of a hard read... but insightful.

francois

http://z9.invisionfree.com/Tropa/ind...?showtopic=171
    Ha! That's cool.

So, uh, my kinda report:

Get up at 4:30, pack kids and wife in car by 5:30, Toro by 7:30. Lauren races 9:00. I am dad and hang with the kids while I see tonsa people riding and stretching and eating and tuning and stuff. I am in civvies, hanging out by the playstructure, watching my kids. 10:30 change, get bike, wrangle kids. 10:45 I'm nervous, "Where's Lauren?" She has my full-finger gloves and I can't just let the kids be alone. She comes in at 10:50, I get gloves, congratulate her, give her a kiss, charge up the asphalt climb for a "warmup." See a guy who must be Francis. "Hey Francis!" See Keith deFiebre in a truck at the top of the climb, "Rod's doing the start, get back down there."

Eeeeerrrroooommm "C'mon Francis, they're doing the start."

Get to the start line, roll to the back of the pack. First mtn bike race of the year, no expectations, it was a heavy training week. Got my excuses all readtogo. (Blur's too big and heavy, I'm too big and heavy, etc)

See Erik Zimmer. (Morgan Stanley guy) OK, there goes 1st. Erik, you should upgrade.

I've got a bottle in my cage and some clif blocks in my pocket. Grabbed a freebie water bottle by the finish line and stuck it in my back pocket. I have not ridden the course. Oh well.

First lap, hammer! Passed as many people as possible. Tim Simanski from Roaring Mouse gets by me at the top. I am hesitant on the unknown singletrack descent, let him gap me and get out of sight. Next thing I know I'm on an off-camber section and Tim is 40' down the hill, pushing his bike up. Bummer! Didn't see him again. Starting at the back was a mistake. I get caught in some traffic on the descent. Dang, rookie mistake. Feeling humble made me start in the back. I know from cross that's a mistake. Rode and learnt the descent, did not go fast enough, stuck in traffic.

Second lap, owie. Scale back but keep the pressure on. Ride and talk for a bit with Erik Thunstrom on the SS cross bike. He is STRONG. Inspiring. Reflect on the fact that I brought too much bike. Yeah, that's it. Are all Erik's fast? Descended slightly better, still not dialed. Drank some water, ate some clif blocks.

Third lap, feeling stronger. Some City Cycle dude can't climb my pace, but thinks he can show me how it is on the descent, cutting me off at the top. OK. Mission #1, drop City Cycle on the climb. See ya! See this Tropa guy on the climb. He keeps looking back. What's he looking at? I want to tell him - but I can't breathe and he's up the hill ahead of me - "Don't look behind you. The race is in front of you." See pretty girls, get smiles and encouragement. Oh that's better than gu's. Flow down the descent better.

Fourth lap, drink some, eat remaining clif blocks. See Tropa guy. "I'm gonna get you sucka." GRRRRRIIIIINNNNDDD Got him. Turn the switchback at the top, Tropa's out of sight, now chasing a guy with a COLOMBIA jersey. Then there's my friend Jenny, I've just lapped her. She's kinda bummed but always in a good mood, smiling. I say "Hi Jenny!" Give her a big push on her rear end. She laughs. She says "Wait let me take this line" and rolls over my line in the deep sand. We're still climbing, near the top. I have to unclip as she takes the good line. It's OK. I re-clip and Tropa's behind me. Curse word! We're climbing and there's another woman ahead of us. There isn't enough room to get by her yet, I wait. Tropa totally bombs between her and me, making the woman exclaim "whoa" and go off her line. Then he's on the descent and I'm chasing him. He passes a guy, who I then get stuck behind. Guy's jersey is clean, he's going kinda slow. I hazard a guess he's warming up. "Racer!" I yell. Nothing. We're cruising the singletrack. "Racer!" I try again. Nothing. Just cruising, Tropa and Colombia out of sight. "Sorry, are you racing?" I ask, and he replies "Yeah!" "Sorry!" I wait for a moment then call it "Left! ... Thanks!"

Chase chase chase... 3rd.

I love Jenny but I probably shoulda just bombed past her with a "Hey Jenny!" Woulda coulda shoulda

Next time.

Morgan
    Last edited by morganfletcher; 04-04-2007 at 07:25 PM.

mtbr member
    Har! You should have just barreled over Jenny! Funny, the other dude's report makes no mention of there being other people in his way. That wouldn't be a first for many a racer though. Thank you Morgan for being considerate...its just a bike race after all.

The guys who passed us in our race were all very considerate and in fact, I almost took out Brett Lambert and Pat Schott because I am right/left dyslexic and moved left when they said passing left. Oopsie. But, I have been barreled over on more than one occasion by a passing Sport racer. No offense to sport racers as I am just uber generalizing here, but I'm thinking the skill and maybe speed differential isnt there yet to make some passes as safely as they should.

Michael's got a little report on the cccx race here
    http://vanderhoot.blogspot.com/2007/...with-cccx.html

and here's a bonus pic of Jenny, all happy that you didn't run her off the road!
    Attached Images Attached Images

bicycle rider
    Quote Originally Posted by Sabine
    Har! You should have just barreled over Jenny! Funny, the other dude's report makes no mention of there being other people in his way. That wouldn't be a first for many a racer though. Thank you Morgan for being considerate...its just a bike race after all.

The guys who passed us in our race were all very considerate and in fact, I almost took out Brett Lambert and Pat Schott because I am right/left dyslexic and moved left when they said passing left. Oopsie. But, I have been barreled over on more than one occasion by a passing Sport racer. No offense to sport racers as I am just uber generalizing here, but I'm thinking the skill and maybe speed differential isnt there yet to make some passes as safely as they should.

Michael's got a little report on the cccx race here
    http://vanderhoot.blogspot.com/2007/...with-cccx.html

and here's a bonus pic of Jenny, all happy that you didn't run her off the road!
    That is a great pic of Jenny!

I wish I could write like Michael.

Looking forward to Sea Otter and Lemurian. And Copperopolis. See you at the races.

Morgan

swag ho Administrator
    More pics from Doug Rhea.

Awright, who's been holding out with the hawt water helper person???

169 photos here: http://new.photos.yahoo.com/velodromed/album/576460762396379007#page1

fc
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by francois; 04-05-2007 at 09:17 AM.
    IPA will save America

~~~~~~~

seriously

and she had the best spanish accent. they guy she was there with didn't fair so well- he finished the last lap without a chain. guess that's one way to cut weight.

Let's ride SuperModerator
    Is 639, Michael Jackson in a MTBR jersey?

Glad to see you out there Alex.

~~~~~~~
    Tom,

where were you last week? You gonna be around for Sea Otter?

bike dork extraordinaire
    Quote Originally Posted by rensho
    Is 639, Michael Jackson in a MTBR jersey?

Glad to see you out there Alex.
    Yeah... I heard there would be small children nearby...

I actually had one of those "Oh crap! I left the other glove at home..." days on Saturday.

Congrats on your excellent finish up at boggs.

mtbr member
    Geoff - is it just me or do you look "pissy" in that first photo...;-)

Your face seems to be saying "uggggh"
    "Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing." - Helen Keller

rj2
    mtbr member

Omg

Awright, who's been holding out with the hawt water helper person???

fc
    At least her cuteness doesn't get in the way of her hotness.

Let's ride SuperModerator
    Tom,

where were you last week? You gonna be around for Sea Otter?
    Last Sat. I was up racing at Boggs. My 2nd race ever! Solo 8hr.

I'll be at Otter most of the days, and will be racing SportSS. How about you?

"Congrats on your excellent finish up at boggs."

Thanks Alex. That was a very well run race and an interesting experience. I'll say that I mentally wimped out on the 9th lap.
    Reading about your guy's race, I wished I'd been there mixing it up with FC!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4