Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    bikerbert
    that course was great! Now that I'm not doing them, I thought all of the climbing added a great chess match element in terms of how hard, when, and for how long. The decents were a blast, and I think my handling skills got better today for sure. Tick it was good to meet you. It was also good to FINALLY meet the legendary Francois, I'm looking forward to a Thu night at the Gap with you fellas. Thanks to RJ3 for the very tasty and well timed Sierra Nevada.

mtbr member
    It looks like HCW is paying off for me now. Last year in CCCX, I was lucky to be in the top 10. Today I won my second CCCX race at Toro Park, (love that climb)

I have recently converted my Niner to a 1 X 9 set up from SS in preparation for Sea Otter XC. Friday night when installing a new cassette, 12 X 23 (itís like a SS with a few extra gears) it was just not shifting right and its 10pm the night before my race! I discovered I had a bent Derailleur hanger, after about 45 min. and a few tweaks the bike was shifting like it should. All I could think about was a skipping chain on the long climbs. Hmmm, maybe SS isnít that bad after all.

The race went very well, I was able to take the lead at the start and never looked back. I was well into the two classes that started ahead of me halfway through the first climb and the bike was shifting like a champ.

Looks like I will be in Sport next year.

Carmen has a lot of picís of the Sports race and she hope to have some of them posted by Sunday night.

francois thank's for the Socks.

Hereís my Motion Based link for the race.

http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/i...kValue=2359723

bike dork extraordinaire
    That was a fun course! Having never ridden it before the race, I took it easy on the first lap to get familiar, but by the fourth lap that downhill was really starting to get fun. The climb was also not too bad. Solid middle ring effort with only a few short steep spots. I finished mid-pack, which sure beats the last place result from race #3.

Way to go Francis for not only passing me with ease on the first lap, but also nabbing a top five finish. And congrats to Jeff for another win. Sport class awaits...

bicycle rider
    Quote Originally Posted by francois
    Dang, that was a fun event. How did y'all do?

Saw so many friends!! A lot of them crashed though but none too badly.

francois
    Francis, good to meet you. It was fun, lots of friends. I love the CCCX races, cross and mountain.

I got 3rd in sport 35+, just missed 2nd. Your friend Cesar (name?) beat me. Woulda coulda shoulda. That was my first time on the Toro course. It was so... binary! Brutal climb, sexy singletrack descent, repeat.

Here's my tracks for the race, check out the per-lap data:

http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/2362868

My wife Lauren posted some photos from the race.

Morgan
    Last edited by morganfletcher; 04-01-2007 at 05:07 AM.

swag ho Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerbert
    that course was great! Now that I'm not doing them, I thought all of the climbing added a great chess match element in terms of how hard, when, and for how long. The decents were a blast, and I think my handling skills got better today for sure. Tick it was good to meet you. It was also good to FINALLY meet the legendary Francois, I'm looking forward to a Thu night at the Gap with you fellas. Thanks to RJ3 for the very tasty and well timed Sierra Nevada.
    Right on Al. Sounds like your race came together nicely. So what was your trick for not cramping?

I cramped before the crest of the 4rth lap. So I put it in a low gear and just winced.

fc
    Last edited by francois; 03-31-2007 at 08:40 PM.
    IPA will save America

bikerbert
    I don't know if there is a trick, because I had some twitch legs on the last lap climbing. The only thing that saved me was the gel my wife gave me before the lap started. Here's what a nutritionist friend told me:

1) Day before race: 3:1 ratio of water to a bottle of your favorite secret sauce (Heed, Cytomax, etc). She also said race day hydration starts 2-3 days before the event.

2) Race morning: get up by 7am and start hydrating, and drink a bottle of sauce on the way to the venue. Sauce bottle during the warm up, and don't eat anything solid two hours before race time. I also took some Endurolytes and Sport Legs about an hour before the race. This is where a gel flask comes in handy.

3) During the race: I'm extremely lucky because my wife goes to the races, and gives me a fresh bottle every lap if I need it, and gels if I'm out. Today I went through three bottles, two gel flasks, and a right before the last climb to keep the bad man away in my legs.

4) Post race: she wants me to drink either Endurox or Accelerade to get some protein until I can get something solid to eat.

Hope this helps!

swag ho Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by morganfletcher
    Francis, good to meet you. It was fun, lots of friends. I love the CCCX races, cross and mountain.

I got 3rd in sport 35+, just missed 2nd. Your friend Cesar (name?) beat me. Woulda coulda shoulda. That was my first time on the Toro course. It was so... binary! Brutal climb, sexy singletrack descent, repeat.

Here's my tracks for the race, check out the per-lap data:

http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/2360781

My wife Lauren posted some photos from the race.

Morgan
    Nice!! Is that moving time accurate on your motionbased? My time was around 1:32 as well. So we climbed 3,434 feet that fast? Optimistic motionbased prob'ly.

Cesar huh? That guy took the year off biking last year. Maybe he was just in secret training. He looks so damn light.

Cool family shots!

fc
    IPA will save America

swag ho Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by sirkrameroy
    That was a fun course! Having never ridden it before the race, I took it easy on the first lap to get familiar, but by the fourth lap that downhill was really starting to get fun. The climb was also not too bad. Solid middle ring effort with only a few short steep spots. I finished mid-pack, which sure beats the last place result from race #3.

Way to go Francis for not only passing me with ease on the first lap, but also nabbing a top five finish. And congrats to Jeff for another win. Sport class awaits...
    I had zero warm-up since I was so late but I pinnned it on the first lap. I was lucky to survive.

That descent was sketchy on the first lap. Rigid fork gave me a little beat down.

I have the Astrix Monk for you to test. I think it's just your size.

fc
    IPA will save America

Flying Goat
    sigh... not going anymore... bart doesnt run early enough to get me to where i have to be to catch a ride... sux balls... oh well, there's still NUMBO, and CHDH

bike dork extraordinaire
    I had zero warm-up since I was so late but I pinnned it on the first lap. I was lucky to survive.

That descent was sketchy on the first lap. Rigid fork gave me a little beat down.

I have the Astrix Monk for you to test. I think it's just your size.

fc
    A monk to test? Sounds divine!

Big wheels and full suspension would have been just the ticket on that downhill singletrack we hit today. Let me know when it's convenient this week and I'll swing by to pick it up.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mrpercussive
    sigh... not going anymore... bart doesnt run early enough to get me to where i have to be to catch a ride... sux balls... oh well, there's still NUMBO, and CHDH
    thats to bad, i think u and i were the only DH on this thread

Broken and dizzy
    Talk about thread hijack! The OP was asking about the DH series on Sunday...

Check Ridemonkey's Bay Area Forum...more discussion there. Oh yeah, I'll be there tomorrow trying to go 3 for 3.

mtbr member
    After looking at Morgan's Motion Based times all I need to do is bring my average speed up 1 mph + and add a lap of pain, to be near the front in Sport

Gee it seems so simple, but it's so hard.

bicycle rider
    Nice!! Is that moving time accurate on your motionbased? My time was around 1:32 as well. So we climbed 3,434 feet that fast? Optimistic motionbased prob'ly.

Cesar huh? That guy took the year off biking last year. Maybe he was just in secret training. He looks so damn light.

Cool family shots!

fc

I think it's accurate. I forgot to turn it off after my race, had an extra ten minutes on lap four, so I edited the xml and cut out everything after the finish line latitude / longitude. MB still shows the total time including my post-race knuckleheadedness. Edit: fixed it.

Now it's just shy of 5AM, and I'm doing it all over again. We had to get up at 4:30 yesterday to be there in time for my wife's 9AM race. Today I'm workng at the Vuelta de Brisbeen. My team helps put it on. Then race with the medium old guys at 1. Tonight I am going to sleep!

We got zero racing pics, but plenty of goofy pics. Kids had a good time in spite of driving "forever".

Morgan
    Last edited by morganfletcher; 04-01-2007 at 05:08 AM.

bicycle rider
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffh
    After looking at Morgan's Motion Based times all I need to do is bring my average speed up 1 mph + and add a lap of pain, to be near the front in Sport

Gee it seems so simple, but it's so hard.
    Oh dude it's true. Still if you won the beginner race you belong with the sports! It's an upward path. And the sports are nothing like the experts. Nothing will make you go faster than racing a category up. It's eye-opening just how much faster some fields are, but on the flip side you have that much capacity for improvement in you, if you want it. That's one of the reasons why I love racing.

Morgan

bikerbert
    I agree with Morgan 100%. Last year was a pretty good one for me (five top fives), but this year, WHOA MAMA! The learning curve got a lot steeper, but yesterday's race was the best one yet, and I think I finished 16 or so mins off the lead. But, my first race was 20 mins off, and the 2nd one was a DNF. Life is definitely on its way to getting better on the bike.

One of the things that has helped is doing road races. Nothing builds race fitness like, well, racing, and there are a ton of skinny tire races around the Bay Area.

mtbr member
    for those of who went DHing today, it was a great course and i had lots of fun and hope u all did to

Broken and dizzy
    Yep, another fun course. Missed first by .01 seconds - d*mn!

mtbr member
    that sucks, what was your time

mtbr member

Photos From Sat. Sport Class

I am still learning to use my new camera but I got some pictures of MTBR members in action!!

1. datenschwanz
    2. sirkrameroy
    3. francois
    4. rj2
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Just a couple of more photos.

1. rumpfy
    2. bikerbert
    Attached Images Attached Images

Broken and dizzy
    Quote Originally Posted by paintballeerXC
    that sucks, what was your time
    4:13.32. Not bad, not great, but alot of fun!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Surfinguru
    4:13.32. Not bad, not great, but alot of fun!
    i got a 4;20 i though i did better than i actually did
    heres a pic
    Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

VRC Illuminati
    Quote Originally Posted by ibikergal
    Just a couple of more photos.

1. rumpfy
    2. bikerbert

Nice!
    Thanks Carmen!
    -eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

bikerbert
    Carment,

That's a great shot! Thank you very much. I sent it to my folks and my rotten wife.

Al

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast