Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Feb 2010

CCCX DH 2013 Race #1 Feb, 23rd

One week from this Saturday, Toro Park. Glad I've been doing some kind if training other than 12oz curls (for the most part).

Lets all pray this season does not last as long as the last one! Good luck out there this season peeps!
    - .... . / .. -.. .. --- - ... / .... .- ...- . / - .- -.- . -. / --- ...- . .-.

PMarsh Thumbs Up!
    I was wondering when it was going to start. I checked a couple days ago and saw 2013 finally. Lucky me, this date was chosen about a month for a Demo group ride where I was gonna show some buddies from up north around.

And yeah, I want to do the whole series, but if this moves on into summer and beyond my chances slim quickly.
    2011 Giant Glory 01
    2013 Pivot Firebird
    2004 Turner Rail - Stoled

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Yeah Stu. I want to race the whole thing as well. Even though I actually live in Toro Park and the CCCX is really easy to get to, I'm reluctant to race this season's CCCX after being traumatized from last years scheduling. I really just feel like I should be passing on date changes and snafu situations that we dealt with last year.. The hassle of planning other races when chasing CCCX points is a PITA. And I know, that if I do one race, I'll chase points and want to race them all. Trying to keep my focus for 2013 with CA Enduro Series, Spring Thaw and the 12-mile Super D in Ashland, Downieville Classic and such.. There is going to be a lot of awesome races this year, definitely don't want to be confined to any certain series.

Besides, there has been a lot of talk about a taco cart deal in Toro during the CCCX races, maybe I'll show up for a taco or five? How awesome would it be to get a BBQ Chicken burrito after the race!? It would be killer!!!!!!!!
    - .... . / .. -.. .. --- - ... / .... .- ...- . / - .- -.- . -. / --- ...- . .-.

PMarsh Thumbs Up!
    Haha, I like this taco idea for sure. I just have to finish at least one race, since the only race I did last year I flatted. Hardest part for me will be choosing which bike. I have Friday afternoons free, at least right now, so I can at least practice then.
    2011 Giant Glory 01
    2013 Pivot Firebird

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    The fastest times on the mountain always seem to be done on 5" travel enduro rigs. I know there are some Die Hard Mojo HD lovers that OWN that race (most days)

I've seen a lot of guys put up some serious times on full DH rigs on the steep courses like College Course and Bessie Canyon

Most of the other courses are really quite pedal(y)

Back to Tacos..! I'm thinking Tri Tip is better than Chicken.. Just saying.

PMarsh Thumbs Up!
    I'm a big fan of steak, avacado, lettuch, and american cheese myself.

I think the FB fits best, but I'm more comfortable on the Glory, and seem faster but that may not apply on this trail as much. I've noticed I'm mostly more comfortable on whatever I've been riding, and can't switch between easily. The weight difference will mean a lot depending on the type of course also.
    2011 Giant Glory 01
    2013 Pivot Firebird

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    It's kind of like a good gunfighter........ Carry a rifle, but rely on your sidearm in case of emergency.

No matter what you ride, don't flat this time.

Mmmmmmm.....Avocado.

PMarsh Thumbs Up!
    I still don't know how I flatted, but the tire got punctured somehow. I run minions now though, and they've gone through plenty of AZ rocky riding, plus stuff around here.
    2011 Giant Glory 01
    2013 Pivot Firebird

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Yep. Monions will fix that issue.

...And they hook up well too.

Your puncture must have been from some broken glass from one of the numerous bottles, cans and/or other random litter that seems to accumulate in Toro Park.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by twowheelmotion View Post
    the 12-mile Super D in Ashland...
    I thought this event was a thing of the past. Didn't they turn it into an Enduro event?

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Please excuse my standardized description, yes it is an Enduro event. 13 mile super D is long since over.. Bill would actually be pretty pissed if he saw me on MTBR calling his race by it's old name, especially since the Hillbillies are official sponsors this year.. Sorry, WB.

It's called the Ashland Mt. Challenge. Still part of the Oregon Enduro Series like last year. There was a sample flyer floating around with all the details of the race, but after checking the Ashland Adventures website, I did not see the details posted.

Enduro for sure. Going to be huge and I'm looking forward to making the drive to Ashland to race it!

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Do people practice for the cccx on the day before or morning of. Haven't given it a go before but, may try to make a few this time. I heard they are fun and low key, still allow some good competition?

Lightly salted
    This looks like a fun event! I only wish I didn't live 2.5 hours away!

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I am going to make as many of these as I can. Last season I finished 3rd, 1st, and then 2nd in the 3 races I did go to. I am considering doing cat 2 this season but I am not sure. Last year I did Cat 3 14-16. So this year I would either be Cat 3 18u or Cat 2 18u. Unfortunately I will not be making the first one since I have an XC race that weekend on Sunday. Need to keep the legs fresh!

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by fuenstock View Post
    This looks like a fun event! I only wish I didn't live 2.5 hours away!
    Oh man! You should carpool with someone and come race! Yeah, you're not RIGHT HERE, but Toro is holding some goods besides the Cccx and the drive is way worth it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Ryan- since when does 4.5 minutes of a DH run strain legs? Broski, you're gonna be fine! Lungs might burn some, but legs, never!

Ok no excuses! You're racing- get pumped!

PMarsh Thumbs Up!
    Quote Originally Posted by twowheelmotion View Post
    Ryan- since when does 4.5 minutes of a DH run strain legs? Broski, you're gonna be fine! Lungs might burn some, but legs, never!

Ok no excuses! You're racing- get pumped!
    The hike up is more work haha.
    2011 Giant Glory 01
    2013 Pivot Firebird

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by StuLax18 View Post
    The hike up is more work haha.

Doh! Good Call-

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Exactly!

OSM
    mtbr member
    Last season got a bit annoying with all those date changes for sure, but we did get 9 races out of the series, and who doesn't want more races. I am not as interested in chasing down a series title this year. I would rather introduce some new faces to the races and bring out whoever wants to give it a go as well as show them some of the CCCX ropes. I really want to be #1 Expert, but I am not going through any drama to get there. I just want to have fun and not flat out like I did the last two times.(goat heads in the parking lot and barb wire at the top of Serengeti). I should be out there for the first race of 2013 and will be stepping away from the Hardtail class.
    Bicycles D'opinion/ COMMENCAL /Principat D'Andorra

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    A buddy of mine has done really well on a Single Speed Hardtail Niner. It's not about the bike yo...

Lightly salted
    So for someone like me who has not done the cccx super d. How does the day play out? When is pratice? How many runs can you usually get before race begins? Hotels near that are bike friendly, that will let you keep your dirty bike in your room? Is there food at the event? Any tips for a first timer? I'm about 50/50 on going, just looking for more info. I have an ibis hd and a tr450, Im guessing the Ibis would be faster for the course?

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by mmanuel09 View Post
    A buddy of mine has done really well on a Single Speed Hardtail Niner. It's not about the bike yo...
    Now that was racing!!!

Single speed class had an epic battle going on between Rafael and Valera last season.

CCCX is not exactly Northstar. Full rigid is fully acceptable. Even singe speed works.

I do recall a certain someone at the start line with a good size puncture in his sidewall talking about this being his last season on a hartail SS which ended up givign him a 15 minute run that day. Tough break.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Two Wheel: He raced Cat 1 with a spot on the podium at the last race. He didn't register in the single speed class.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by mmanuel09 View Post
    Two Wheel: He raced Cat 1 with a spot on the podium at the last race. He didn't register in the single speed class.
    That's awesome! No way I could spin that fast-

How'd you do?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast