rj2
    mtbr member

CCCX #7 Race Reports

Sport 45-54, 6 of 8, 9'51" min. off the lead (edit)

I was doing great for 1.5 laps. Strong start, 2nd place, racing all out but feeling strong. I slowed a bit; letting three others in my group pass and called out for them to catch the leader, Tim. Their response was not promising. I settled in behind as we began the first short single-track climb toward the pavement. The rider directly in front of me missed a shift and started to stall. As I continued to encourage him, we touched wheels and I finally had to dismount and run up the hill. End of race, burned all my matches on the run up and it took two laps to recover. I was so slow, as a school bus was passing me, the kids gave me the bird. I almost crashed on the third lap, on the short downhill section through the trees with the leaf litter followed by the left short uphill turn. I felt so bad, almost bad enough to DNF. It took a flask of Hammer Gel and two bottles of Accelerade before I recovered with a strong last lap.

I was well rested, fed, hydrated and warmed up. Next race, I'll take gel at least every lap and drink every 15 minutes to maintain the effort. I'll also settle in behind the chase group and let them pull me at the start.

Barely in 2nd place overall. I really need a couple of podiums to stay in the top 5 at the end of the series.

P.S. Buji Block and Buji Wash are really keeping the PO away. http://www.bujiproducts.com/
    Last edited by rj2; 06-04-2007 at 04:48 PM.

mtbr member
    Beg. 19-34, 2 of 10

That was definately the closest race I have been a part of. Three seconds separated the top 3 spots. I was running in 5th with a lap to go, and 3rd about 50 yards back with 1/3rd of a mile left. Turned it on late to make it close, and made a sweet pass on the last climb, but the final sprint was too short to make a difference. After the tight singletrack and hairpin turn, there was no room to make a move until it was too late and not enough room for a proper sprint finish. Needed another 50 yards. Settled for 2nd.

results are up-
    http://www.cccx.org/mtb/2007/race7/index.shtml

mtbr member
    I posted my race report and a few pics here.

CCCX Race #7 Sat. 6/2 Roll Call