Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: CCCX 4 @ Toro

mtbr member

CCCX 4 @ Toro

The new CCCX course at Toro park is a awesome addition the XC series.

The climb was a fire road marked Ollason Trail and the descant was a single track down Gilson Gap Trail, for a 4.3 mile loop with 783 ft of climb per lap.

I ran the Niner SS today with 32 X 19 Gearing and that seemed right for me, but I know some you stronger riders could push a little more gear on the track.

Here's my Motion Based link for the race.

http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/i...kValue=2209733

pedal faster!

Race Report

Well I decided to go to this race at 10:30 the night before. I called up one of my friends to see if he wanted to go riding the next day. And his reply was, "sorry I'm racing at Toro". I completely forgot that there was a race. So after a few minutes of negotiation (begging) I got my mom to drive me (she’s kinda worried about me driving back after a race). Instead of racing the normal junior 18 and under cat. I decided to step up to Sport. The only problem is, I had to race 34-and under.

We got there about 1 hour before the race started, and had plenty of time to warm-up. My fellow LG high friends had just finished (Anthony 2nd, Ben 3rd). On the first lap it seemed as if everyone was going wayyy too slow, but I didn’t want to jump out ahead and kill myself, so I stayed in 3rd place. On the first decent I was right behind one the ST guys and dang he was flippin fast. The second and third lap I was just trying to conserve for the last lap. The Start of the 4th lap I looked back to see a guy on a yellow chameleon. ohh crap he’s in my category. We both started chasing down the 2nd place guy (ST guy). And that didn’t take long. But as soon as we caught up to the ST guy the yellow chameleon guy takes off. And the ST guy does too. And even if I did get to the decent before he did I would probably get passed somehow. So I told myself it was at least a 4th place finish. I stuck with the third place guy for the rest of the climb but he blew past me on the last hill. For some reason ( I think cramping) he had to stop for a second half way down. Once I passed him however, he hopped right on his bike again. So for the rest of the DH I was pedaling like a Mofo. I almost caught up to the yellow chameleon guy, but he still got me by 15 seconds. Once I got on to the final stretch I looked back to see the ST guy 20 yards behind me and I sprinted as hard as I could just to make sure I 3rd place secured. I guess you could say I had a pretty good race. 3rd place!!!!!!!!! YAY But I think I might have to race junior ex next time… dang

Chris
    Last edited by togaman; 03-11-2007 at 03:59 AM.

mtbr member
    Congrats to Jeff for his well deserved (and overdue) win!

pics and race report to come...

mtbr member
    My race was pretty fun. The winner of our group (begginer 19-34) was a new guy that latched on with the high school kids, and never looked back. Man those kids are fast! Our race was a battle for second. On the second lap, the guy in 2nd had a minor spill, got up quick and was right behind me and the 4th (now 3rd). I was able to open up a gap on the climb during the last lap, and took 2nd. I am happy.

The guy that won was in board shorts and a t-shirt, and looked closer to the 19 limit than the 34, so I'm chalking this one up for the youth!

some pics of
    JeffH
    ibikergal
    me
    Attached Images Attached Images

swag ho Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by grrrah
    My race was pretty fun. The winner of our group (begginer 19-34) was a new guy that latched on with the high school kids, and never looked back. Man those kids are fast! Our race was a battle for second. On the second lap, the guy in 2nd had a minor spill, got up quick and was right behind me and the 4th (now 3rd). I was able to open up a gap on the climb during the last lap, and took 2nd. I am happy.

The guy that won was in board shorts and a t-shirt, and looked closer to the 19 limit than the 34, so I'm chalking this one up for the youth!

some pics of
    JeffH
    ibikergal
    me

DANGGGGG representin with the colors. Looks like you guys are out for blood on the race photos.

fc
    IPA will save America

menace to myself & others
    Aug 2005

Enh.

My race was OK. not a better result than last time, but I felt much more in control. And less like anyone spent the day beating me with a stick.

I had some trouble setting my bike up the night before. Basically, I couldn't get it to shift into both the big ring and the little ring dependably. I chose the big ring, on the basis that I rarely use the little one anyway. I figured I'd end up riding most of the race in my middle ring, whihc is where I started.

The course was great. Each lap was a big-*ss climb followed by a nice downhill. Would have been nice to have a little more passing area at the bottom, but I am nitpicking.

The first couple laps went pretty well. At the beginning of the third lap, though, I started to hurt, and decided that I would try to shift into my little ring up front. To my surprise, it went ker-chunk! right into gear. It was only when I looked down that I realized I had been in my big ring the entire time.

I was able to keep it more or less together for the rest of the race. On the last lap, though, I had one guy in my category ahead of me as we started the downhill. I was getting a little cross-eyed with effort at this point, and I let him get a few seconds ahead of me. I'm not the world's best downhiller, and instead of letting it all hang out to catch him, I played it relatively safe. So we came into the swoopy rolling part of the downhill with him about 15 seconds ahead of me. I was able to make up 10, but not the full 15, and ended up losing my precious 19th place by a mere 4 seconds. Stupid self-preservation.

The hardest parts of the course were the paved section at the beginning of the climb, the sandy bit at the end of the climb, and the first turn on the downhill. Every single time I got to the top of the climb and started the downhill (which was even relatively flat at that point), I almost lost it on the first turn. I spent the entire time thinking I was some sort of incompetent freak, until I talked to other folks about the same bit, and each of them pointed to that section (which was a narrow, off-camber bit) as an especially tricky part. Made me feel better after the race, but not like any less of a spaz during it.

Great course, great race.

Let's ride SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by francois
    DANGGGGG representin with the colors. Looks like you guys are out for blood on the race photos.

fc
    They look like they're getting a full sponsor ride from MTBR.com. How do I get hooked up with that? I got a race resume, but it only has 1 race on it.

Great job guys/gals. I was thinking about you all when waiting for my 24th glass of wine to be poured...

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=rensho]They look like they're getting a full sponsor ride from MTBR.com. How do I get hooked up with that? I got a race resume, but it only has 1 race on it.

I'm just the water boy on the MTBR.com development team, but if you post your race result and your hill climb times for some of the local peaks I will make sure it gets to the right people.

mtbr member
    grrrah, thanks for the photos posted. I look like I might not be having fun, but I was!!

It was a hard race, but I did not finish last in my class, OK well next to last, Beg. woman (no age separation!!!) I did all 3 laps and each one was exactly the same time for the climb and the overall, so I don't really know what that means.

Aussie Bob and I had a good time together, passing each other on the course in different spots.

The Angry Singlespeeder

Mountain Larry

My race went okay but the living legend "Mountain" Larry Hibbard still beat me by nearly 8 minutes on - get this - a thrice painted over 1990 Bridgestone MB2 with no suspension, no TREAD (was riding Ritchey Fatboy slicks I swear!) and like a 6 speed rear cluster or something. That dude makes you feel bad for spending dollar one on a nice bike. Larry proves that it isn't the bike, its the man.

YOU ARE MY HERO MOUNTAIN LARRY!!!

Genshammer
    Kurt Genshammer
    The Angry Singlespeeder
    @AngrySinglespdr

rj2
    mtbr member

Other fast guys show up in place of DennistheMennis

The Sport 45-54 points leader is skipping the next two races, so I thought I could enhance my overall 3rd place standing. LOL.

During the 1st lap downhill, I almost hit a tree while negotiating an off-camber singletrack turn, crashed twice on sandy turns, lost one of two Accelerade bottles, etc. One lap down, three to go!

After all that excitement, I started to hit the wall midway through the next lap and went down from there. Note to self: water and Hammer gel is not enough. I didn't completely flame out, but it was close. I thought about abandoning, to save myself for the Cool race the following day, but kept on plugging away. Almost hit that same tree every lap.

No DNF/DFL for me. Second note to self: run wider tires with more tread vs. semi-slicks for the next Toro race. Third note to self: cut down that tree to the left of the off-camber turn.

Race high point: great warmup lap.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    any possibility of jr/beg pics in particular black and orange Los Gatos jerseys

mtbr member
    Sorry, our pro photographer was out getting drunk, and the backup didn't snap very many shots. I looked through them, and there were none.

At least from my camera.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Haha ok thanks for looking.....anyone else maybe.....hopefully.....

mtbr member
    I have a few pics of the start of the Sports race off the line and thats it,

mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Toro Park CCCX

Hey - Is there poison oak on the race course for the XC event? I have a real big problem with that stuff. Thanks.

Capricious youth...
    I know that nobody on MTBR actually rides DH, but that's where I'll be on Sunday.

*hears crickets*
    Meh.

Let's ride SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Prettym1k3
    I know that nobody on MTBR actually rides DH, but that's where I'll be on Sunday.

*hears crickets*
    You might want to talk to Beaverbiker. He seems pretty fast when things point downhill.

mtbr member
    I did not notice any poison oak at the last race, I'm not saying, there no PO at Toro but Toro is nothing like the course at Fort Ord East Garrison that seems to be covered with the stuff.

I was wearing a short sleeve jersey and shorts at the last race and did not get any PO and I always seen to have some from East Garrison.

VRC Illuminati
    Quote Originally Posted by Prettym1k3

*hears crickets*
    You've said that more than once. You seem a bit bitter about this. Have you not hit the DH forum? Lots of MTBR DH'ers there.

Though most of the NorCal forum crowd is a mix if riders...there are some guys here that I'm sure can give you a run if you honestly think there's no one here that can get down the hill in short order.
    -eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com

Wanted: 400mm American Classic seatpost, 26.8 & 27.2

VRC Illuminati
    I think I'm in for this Saturday BTW.
    -eric-

bike dork extraordinaire
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumpfy
    I think I'm in for this Saturday BTW.
    Yay!! Someone to ride with at the back of Sport class!

I'll be riding my 94 Zaskar. What vintage treasure are you bringing out?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumpfy
    You've said that more than once. You seem a bit bitter about this. Have you not hit the DH forum? Lots of MTBR DH'ers there.

Though most of the NorCal forum crowd is a mix if riders...there are some guys here that I'm sure can give you a run if you honestly think there's no one here that can get down the hill in short order.
    I was about to say the same thing, but remembered I already did the last couple times that same message was posted.

I am sure most, if not all the NorCal forum have enjoyed a shuttle ride and a primarily DH run at one time or another. Just because we like to go up also, doesnt mean we don't like DH.

VRC Illuminati
    Quote Originally Posted by sirkrameroy
    Yay!! Someone to ride with at the back of Sport class!

I'll be riding my 94 Zaskar. What vintage treasure are you bringing out?

Well sh!t, you're faster than I am!

Sounds like two vintage GT's for the day then.
    I'll probably be on the 92 Psyclone again.
    -eric-

VRC Illuminati
    Quote Originally Posted by grrrah
    I was about to say the same thing, but remembered I already did the last couple times that same message was posted.

I am sure most, if not all the NorCal forum have enjoyed a shuttle ride and a primarily DH run at one time or another. Just because we like to go up also, doesnt mean we don't like DH.
    Agreed.
    -eric-

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast