Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator

CCCX #3....post your race reports

mine?.......i learned that starting off an XC race like a flaming monkey in search of water is a terribly painful and anaerobic mistake.......within 4 miles my calves were cramping......i was seeing lil' black dots.....had zero spit...and fried my lungs trying to inhale the atmosphere.......this is what you get for trying to get ahead of rensho......lesson learned - let the fast hamsters go!

I placed 7 out of 10 (purty sure)....and was at least 3 minutes slower than the previous race.....and it hurt a whole heck of alot more to boot...ratz!

the bonus after ride was very nice.....got a little windy.....hit a whole mess a sweeet ST......and there were about a dozen of us...most of which raced earlier......i also learned that chasing grrah up trail 49 hurts......i'm developing a keen awareness that i'm not overly bright sometimes....ugh.

great seeing everyone again - looking forward to the next one
    Visit these 2 places to help advance trail access:
    http://www.sharingthepct.org/
    http://www.facebook.com/SharingThePct

Dont feed the animal

I had a blast.

Fun race, I did a little better than last race. Thats all I want is to keep improving, and someday get lighter.
    Ya, I try not to worry about the pace anyone else is doing for about the first mile. Then settle in and push myself, those fast starts are killer.
    Sometimes you find yourself in the middle of nowhere,
    and sometines in the middle of nowhere you find yorself.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Best part of the race was the ice cream sandwiches JustJeff brought. He's so cool.
    Can we talk tires now?

mtbr member
    Steve, glad to see you had a good race. Chris M and I did the horse/rock time trial after your start and put in a respectable 21 minutes. Great seeing so many of the orange sun gang down here.

mtbr member
    I came through my race Sport 45+ much better then last one. 12th out of 22 with a little more speed and knocked 2.30 minutes off of my last race on the same course.

I was able to keep the cramping down this time so I'm going to work on maintaining a little more speed through out the race and try to work my way into the top 10

I seemed to be in a pack of 3 riders all 4 laps, I was either looking at someone rear wheel or hearing a bike change gears just behind me the whole race, very intense.

I know ibikergal has a lot of photos of the sports race and should be able to post them in the next day or so.

Here's my Motion Based link for the race.

http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/i...kValue=5075824

jms
    mtbr member

Trampled

Oh man, I set a new P.R. for going off the back in this race. I got trampled today! I had an inkling this would be my fate @ East Garrison this go round, and I wasn't pleasantly suprised..... Cest Le Vie. Rod decided to start everyone 35 and over in Expert together today, and everybody was ready, set, G O N E.......except for me.
    As is painfully and plainly obvious to me, I start SLOW and today was no exception. Around the middle of the third lap, I felt better, found a rhythm, decided life was worth living after-all, and enjoyed the final two laps much more than the previous two. As Chum alluded to, the picked up, as it always does in the afternoon @ Ft. Ord - and for some weird reason I enjoyed that race more as the conditions deteriorated. I overtook a few of the dead and dying during the final laps. 5 hard laps, and that was my race. End result: DFL in Expert 45-54, basically what I expected today.
    Sorry I didn't have the chance to chat w/many of the MTBR crew today. Those of you I did see, you looked great! Good Job! It was great seeing Rensho out there today too. Hope you achieved what you set out after today

Silence! I kill you!
    I got all my photos up (I was quick this time!)

I did get a bunch of MTBR guys as well as as many others as possible.

http://em.scottmosherphotography.com/g/cccxc3

Anybody know how the injured guys/gals are doing? I know here was an ambulance called out for one person, and someone else got hurt as well.
    My Website:
    Scott Mosher Photography

My Recent Shoots
    The Blog

mtbr member
    That was my first race, and I had a great time. Saw CHUM and his lady, JL, and a few others--I don't know many of you, but I'm sure you were there. I'll wear my Brazilian jersey next time so I'm easy to spot!

That's a FAST course! The berms on the quarter-mile leading to the tents were awesome. But no matter how fast I THOUGHT I was going, I always heard those pride-bruising words: "On your left!"

That was a great time. Can't wait for the next one!

he who goes without food
    Great Day Guys!!!

Beat my time by a few minutes saw a great race and had a blast!!

Thanks!!

mind taking
    2nd place, 3rd overall in Beginner category.

Great course, I really enjoyed the road section, that stuff was flat out. The berms were tricky at best, I ate it a few times. My canti' brakes are nothing compared to the big 8" discs Im used to, stopping the bike was an adventure at times.

Bike felt great although I took quite a pounding out there. No suspension started to really pound away at me late in the race. I was actually leading the race and feeling great until my chain dropped about 1/2way through lap 1, had to play catch up the rest of the time and the 2 front guys just kept pulling away.

Leading was pretty cool while it lasted, though its a lot of pressure up front because you're always thinking "when will I be passed". Kinda nerve wracking.

A great time though, I was super-stoked to bring home some metal afterwards.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Being my first race, I started way too fast for myself and called it quits after lap 2 of everything burning, wanting to puke, and my chain falling off my chainrings 3 times...need to train much more.

aka dan51
    Great time today. Post race ride was fun as well.
    I decided to race the hardtail. I was 2 minutes slower on it than the squishy bike last time. Mostly due to having chain issues half way through the second lap. That cost me about 2 minutes. And last time we had done a fairly decent Coe ride the day before. No more hardtail for me.

It was also fun watching Rensho almost crash near the end of the second lap.

pic 5, guess who.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    ...People thought they were getting a good fork because it was a "fox".

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I started too slow. Next time, I'll have to warm up more and be ready to sprint the first 500 yards, so I don't get slowed down getting on the single track in the middle of the pack.
    My race went much better than CCCX1: my last three lap times were very steady: 27:30, 27:41 and 27:39 and I closed in on JeffH. I'll just have to train harder this month.
    Thanks to all the mbtr.com fans along the course encouraging me on! It's nice to hear all the support.
    Nice pictures, Scott.
    - J.L.
    Also known as Menso's dad.

Are we there yet?
    My first CCCX race and my first race of 2008. My third mtb race ever and the longest one I've attempted. I opted to race Sport since the Beginner start time was way to freakin' early given the long drive time. Up until 7:30 that morning I wasn't sure I was racing. Upset stomach, light headed...wasn't sure if it was nerves or something else. I never get sick so I gathered it was just nerves and forced my arse to get out there.

I was delighted that there were other women in my class, no fun racing alone. The two 20-something gals FLEW off the start line. Those Sport gals are fast. I figured my little arse would be handed to me on a nice silver platter by the end of the fourth lap. I would demand it be tied up in a pretty pink bow though!!

The course was super fun and I loved duking it out with two other gals and one guy that first lap. We settled into our own pace by the second lap and I rode the next three laps on my own (sort of boring way to race). During the third lap three guys came up behind me and had a full on conversation while I was trying to keep my breakfast down. I asked it they wanted to pass and they told me I had a nice pace going and to keep it up. After listening to them discuss how the course would be nice on a SS and chain options, while I was breathing harder than a steam train, I was ready to turn around and puke on them. JeffH tells me they probably were experts taking a warm up lap so I shouldn't feel so bad. Nice!

I took 1st in my catagory (Womens Sport 35-44). Not bad given I hadn't really had time to train the last few months. That fourth lap was brutal so I'll be training for the next one.

Nice to meet some new mtbr.com people too. Good race everyone!

Let's ride SuperModerator
    Oh, da pain, da pain. I beat my previous cccx2 time by 1 hour and 42 mins.

It was great to see so many of the Norcal MTBR'ers out racing. That has to be the largest field evar.

My race started with doing a practice lap and caught up to Jdub starting his 3rd lap. We stayed behind him to chat it up and push him along. His bike was bobbing a bunch in the rear, taking up valuable effort. Doing the recon lap was really good for me to know all the ups/downs and the length of the course.

With nerves on the line, I lined up with 10-11 SSer's. I sized up the competition and saw a fast looking dude (other than the super 17 yo next to me) on a Moots 29er in full kit. My mind went 'he'll be off the front'.
    I figured I can spin the 175s to the front and try and be first into the ST. We set off, I'm spinning up to a comfy speed and pull ahead. I see peeps dropping off on both sides...except for this one turkey on my right. I hold pace and see if he drops, and...he doesn't. Now thinking, who the hell wants this front so badly? I let up just a little after passing Carmen, with her camera shooting away, and this monkey on fire with legs a blur pulls along side and passes me. That'd be Chum. I look down and the HR is already at 176. I let off a bit more and Coldawg passes me on the left into the ST. I wouldn't see him again until lap 2 when he's heading the other way on the lap.
    Chum pulled out of sight and I let him go. I wasn't going to go out that hard on the first lap. The leaders from 35-45 group were starting to pass me 1/3rd into the first lap. Wow those folks are fast. I get on with my lap and see Chum on the road section. I ride up alongside and give him a friendly push on his asss up the hill. He turns to his left to figure out what the f is going on. I pull up to let him draft for the rest of the straight. I was getting tired already and the plan to hit 30mph wasn't going to happen today on the road section. I found myself resting and drinking on the road section for the remaining laps.
    [SIZE=2]My race was almost all in solitary. I had no one to dice with. They were mostly faster than me, so they'd come up to me and pass and be gone in a few mins. That kinda sucked. I passed a person on 2 separate laps at the big radius turn at the top. Both times I had to take to the grass on the inside, speed around, and come back to the dirt before the bush on the left heading downhill. I envisioned losing traction and taking out the other rider on both occassions. That would have been bad.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]Starting lap 2, I ran by someone's large clear bottle with 2/3 of red drink in it, and thought, that sucks. Turns out to the Jeffh's. Strange place to lose one as it was after an uphill and no real bumps. Must be those super chi chi Zipp carbone cages he uses.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]Got to say, the cheering section from MTBR was amazing and so unspiring. JMS was at the end of the road start taking pics, and later at parking lot straight yelling for everyone. Dan51, TheLaw, JustJeff, ibikergal, MichMatt, Pocket were at the last drop left turn hootin and hollering. They're a loud crew, and really inspiring.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]On the 3rd lap, I came by them, cranked the next left, got on the power and the bike tried to highside me. The MTBR crowd erupted with laughter.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]Finish lap, I come down that same corner, everyone's cheering like mad. I'm in relax mode and waiting to finish. They're yelling like crazy about something. I cruise upto parking lot hill about to take the last right turn and head for the finish. I turn to my right to see if there's anyone there just in case I want to pull any Finish line shinangons. As it turns out, the 3rd place SS racer was to my immediate LEFT (those damn SS bikes don't make any noise!!!). He had hunted me down after passing the MTBR cheering gallery and was beside me. As dumb luck would have it, I turned the corner and saw the Finish Line. Pocket had run over there to cheer me on. I decided instead of pulling a rolling stoppie, I would just ride to the line. I finished and my back hurt like hell.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]Only way later do I realize that the rider finished 3 seconds back of me was in my class; the guy from last corner! Eeeeeek. That would have really sucked, or at least been quite a shocker as he comes around me at the last corner and how ever many seconds it takes me to register that he doesn't have a derailleur! [/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]That was fun, but boy was it tough.

Great job everyone that made it out there and raced. I admire all of you for putting your wheel to the start line.
    [/SIZE]
    Last edited by rensho; 03-03-2008 at 10:54 AM.

mtbr member
    The Sport SS Hamsters just after being let out of there cage, Looks like the monkey in second is already on fire ! .

With the wily veteran and eventual winner coldawg sitting in third waiting for the explosion to happen out front.

Great job coldawg
    Attached Images Attached Images

...2 wheel terror...
    I had a great time, but it sure was a learning experience. It was my first MTB bike race ever. I accomplished my goals of not getting a DNF and I even celebrated by yacking up breakfast right at the finish line. (Now I know not to slam an energy drink 2 minutes before the race) I canít wait for the next one.

bike dork extraordinaire
    What a day! Great to see so many folks out there. The cheering section at the bottom of that last little drop was too cool.

I pulled a Chum and went way to hot out of the gate and was blown by the end of lap 1, and spent lap 2 just trying to get my heart rate and breathing under control. Lap 3 and 4 were much better, but I pretty much rode them by myself, which was kinda cool, although a little boring. At the end it was enough for 9th place, which is not too bad, but this time I was over 2 minutes behind the next guy, so I guess I better keep training.

Hope to see you all at the end of the month, and if anyone is going to the Cool race, I'll see you next weekend!

mtbr member
    Great ride. I did sport this time vs. beginner on race 1. That extra lap was a killer. Had to sit by the trail and work out some cramps at the end. I avoided the DNF though and made it a mere 28 minutes after the person ahead of me in the age group (35-44). Only can go up from here.

Monterey Rider
    I had a lot of fun. Took third in Beg. Men 19-34.

It's cool seeing so many people show up to these little grassroots races!
    "The bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten."

Monterey Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by stover
    I had a great time, but it sure was a learning experience. It was my first MTB bike race ever. I accomplished my goals of not getting a DNF and I even celebrated by yacking up breakfast right at the finish line. (Now I know not to slam an energy drink 2 minutes before the race) I canít wait for the next one.
    Yeah, good to see you out there Stover!
    "The bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten."

Monterey Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by MichiganMat
    2nd place, 3rd overall in Beginner category.

Great course, I really enjoyed the road section, that stuff was flat out. The berms were tricky at best, I ate it a few times. My canti' brakes are nothing compared to the big 8" discs Im used to, stopping the bike was an adventure at times.

Bike felt great although I took quite a pounding out there. No suspension started to really pound away at me late in the race. I was actually leading the race and feeling great until my chain dropped about 1/2way through lap 1, had to play catch up the rest of the time and the 2 front guys just kept pulling away.

Leading was pretty cool while it lasted, though its a lot of pressure up front because you're always thinking "when will I be passed". Kinda nerve wracking.

A great time though, I was super-stoked to bring home some metal afterwards.
    I think I passed you while your chain was broken, then you caught up and passed me on the "right" up near the water tower. That was funny. I followed you through the berms, which was really interesting; I'm impressed by the way you handled those skinny tires on those squishy berms!

rj2
    mtbr member

Undertrained and under fast

Sport 45Ė54
    19th place, 19 min off the lead. All I need to do is take off 5 min. per lap.

It's a good thing I had a three week vacation off the bike to blame for my poor showing. My expectations weren't as high than if I had those training weeks under my belt. Would I have been 4% slower without the ceramic bearings?

It was pretty good overall. No DNF or DFL. I stopped to guide traffic around a crashed rider at the beginning of my third lap who was subsequently taken to the hospital. A handfull of riders passed me and I was able to reel a few of them in before the finish.

I knew what to expect speed wise, but was unable to keep the pace.

Next Sunday, Cool MTB.
    We take care of your technology needs so you can focus on what's important.

mind taking
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon318
    I think I passed you while your chain was broken, then you caught up and passed me on the "right" up near the water tower. That was funny. I followed you through the berms, which was really interesting; I'm impressed by the way you handled those skinny tires on those squishy berms!
    Hey, right on, I didn't know you were an MTBR guy. Yeah, those berms were tricky, thanks for the compliments. I was kinda overcooking them though, needed to slow down and go with the flow more. Having another rider on my tail got my thinking all screwy too and I started to make mistakes. Lots of fun though, it was a great race, looking forward to the next one.

mtbr member
    What was the injury that happened during Sport class?

Anybody know what all the dnf's were from in one of the divisions?

Loverly course again! I was a little faster this time yet somehow less worn out however on my fourth lap I really had to motivate myself and my legs to move - they just started turning to cement - no pain - just slowing down

March 30 I'm focused on getting up with one or two of the guys in front me . . . from my last place position. I'm sure everybody will be training between then and now.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast