Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    "the wily veteran," jeff? hahaha a veteran of two races.... but i suppose i'm no longer an amateur..
    but thanks, nonetheless :-) good job to you too! i definitely am predicting top 10 next time

i had a great time out there, as usual!
    lining up at the start with the rather large crowd of sport SSers had tension running high! lots of fast looking dudes, a few of whom i hadn't seen before, and one of whom was on my TAIL for the first half lap, only to vanish by the start of the second. and rensho and chum! wow that was a crazy first sprint....
    by the start of the 4th lap my quads were giving that sign of wanting to cramp out, and on the short, steep climb after a fireroad/doubletrack downhill, about halfway through the last lap, i was sure i was going to spasm out and not be able to ride the rest of the climb. somehow i made it through and just spun down the road at about 15mph for a while to try and recover. then i had to put the hammer down once the 7th and 8th place geared guys caught up to me, wasn't gunna let them leave me in the dust!

anyway, it was lots of fun, as usual, and thanks for all the support from the mtbr cheering section! it was great to meet a few more mtbrers in person as well (nobalance and zenturtle, among others)

p.s. I, too, am curious about the injury(ies). is/are they ok??

Silence! I kill you!
    Quote Originally Posted by coldawg
    p.s. I, too, am curious about the injury(ies). is/are they ok??
    From what I understand (I didn't see anything, just got a little glimpse of the 2nd guy) the first guy had a collarbone injury, and the second guy did also.

#2 guy was strapped onto the guerny (sp?) with his left arm/shoulder taped to his body, and neck strapped in as well. Hopefully someone who knows either racer will chime in with other info.
    My Website:
    Scott Mosher Photography

My Recent Shoots
    The Blog

Natural body armor
    Feels good to finish races, no matter what the result is.

Arrived to Marina around 8.30 so had very little time to warm up, but felt pretty good at the start: in fact I found myself ahead of everyone else in the first stretch of road, which felt pretty weird, as I was thinking "where is everyone?" - bad idea...
    By the time we got onto the single-track I was already 2nd (or 3rd, can't remember), but I had my 30 sec of glory. (Now, does anyone have pictures of the Beg. Class Start??)

First lap went ok, but I got passed by a few more riders and by the second lap I slipped in 7th position, closely following a small group of 3 riders: I kept up with their pace but had no chance to pass any of them again.

In the first half of the 3rd lap they increased the gap to maybe 100 yards and at that point I decided to go and get them. It's funny because I really believed I could do it .

And in fact I did, I closed the gap again, but then I started cramping, pretty badly, so I decided that finishing the race was more important.

Yep, that's me cramping at the finish line...

I got about 1 min from that little group and 7'16" from the first place: possibly my best result ever.
    As I said it feels good to finish a race and even more if you know that you gave 100% .
    After that was all downhill, kick back, relax and enjoy the weather and and the sport race.
    Walked with NoBalance to the berms and sit there to see everybody carving those turns.

If you have any pics of me I'd appreciate if you could post'em.
    Now looking forward to March 30th...
    ZT
    "There is no A-line"
    Quadzilla - On-One USA

...2 wheel terror...
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon318
    Yeah, good to see you out there Stover!
    Good to see ya too. I had a blast out there. Can't wait to give it another go.

-Stover

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

My first DFL!!!! Whooo!

CCCX #3 was my first race out west. Did some racing in beginner and one sport race in Maine, and actually finished mid pack in the sport race in my age group. CCCX was a different story. Way faster, way smoother course, and way longer! It was crazy how fast everyone jetted off the start. I thought i'd chill out in the beginning and pick people off, but once the singler speeders who started a minute beind started flying by (including one dude on a cyclocross bike who somehow rocked the descents too) I realized that i was just in it to finish, which I did, and only 4 minutes behind the second to last place guy. So i'll be working on training this month and debating sandbagging for the next one. Fun race!

Let's ride SuperModerator
    JMS, MichMatt, ibkergal are on the front page of CCCX3.

http://cccx.org/mtb/2008/race3/index.shtml

jms
    mtbr member

He had P L E N T Y of time

Quote Originally Posted by rensho
    JMS on the front page of CCCX3.

Great photos Scott. He had P L E N T Y of time to line up that one of me!

Thanks for the cool pics Dan51. That 4th pic is a reminder of my attempt to piss in the weeds with the big dogs...

mind taking
    JMS, MichMatt, ibkergal are on the front page of CCCX3.

Man, I feel like a real live athlete or something!

stover is up there too.

Silence! I kill you!
    Quote Originally Posted by jms
    Great photos Scott. He had P L E N T Y of time to line up that one of me!

Thanks

When I send them some photos to put online, I try to squeeze in as many MTBR people as I can. Now ya'll should buy 'em all so I can get afford to pay the dentist for the root canal I'm getting done on Thurs

Course, crappy thing is I think I'm getting PO again on my wrist
    My Website:
    Scott Mosher Photography

My Recent Shoots
    The Blog

rj2
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Slobberdoggy
    What was the injury that happened during Sport class?
    Yes, it was Paul in the Sport 35 race.
    We take care of your technology needs so you can focus on what's important.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006

Order pictures from Scott

[QUOTE=jorgemonkey]Thanks

When I send them some photos to put online, I try to squeeze in as many MTBR people as I can. Now ya'll should buy 'em all so I can get afford to pay the dentist for the root canal I'm getting done on Thurs

Hi Scott,

I ordered three pictures of myself racing. When Menso sees them he will probably tell me that my knees stick out too much and my fingers are on the brakes too much, but I have fun out there. Thanks for taken such great action shots. Good luck with the root canal and the PO. Ouch.

- J.L.
    Also known as Menso's dad.

mtbr member
    The pic of the SS start is awesome. (can hardly see me) I was wondering where everyone was going ... don't they know we are going hill, flat-ish, hill.... little dh and then a steep climb before we can relax.... a little... it was fun passing nearly everbody but "the kid", "SASS" and "have you seen my Moots" on the first lap.... Orange Niner would get me back on lap 2.

lots of MTBR jerseys around this weekend.... great day, my family cheering on everytime through camp (that is what it is all about)... good start, a few SS's close front and back, fun loop, hate the pavement (duh its a MTN single speed), hooked up with chrome Bianchi on lap three (later found out he was battling a pedal that kept backing out).. stalked him for the entire last lap to make a charge at the end only to pick a bad spot to go for it, then tried again in camp, but there is no room for a pass between the tape... 5th.

So much fun. Last season the Sport SS class was taken over by the 3 SCCC guys... This season its the teenagers.

Quote Originally Posted by quicklaps
    The pic of the SS start is awesome. (can hardly see me) I was wondering where everyone was going ... don't they know we are going hill, flat-ish, hill.... little dh and then a steep climb before we can relax.... a little... it was fun passing nearly everbody but "the kid", "SASS" and "have you seen my Moots" on the first lap.... Orange Niner would get me back on lap 2.

lots of MTBR jerseys around this weekend.... great day, my family cheering on everytime through camp (that is what it is all about)... good start, a few SS's close front and back, fun loop, hate the pavement (duh its a MTN single speed), hooked up with chrome Bianchi on lap three (later found out he was battling a pedal that kept backing out).. stalked him for the entire last lap to make a charge at the end only to pick a bad spot to go for it, then tried again in camp, but there is no room for a pass between the tape... 5th.

So much fun. Last season the Sport SS class was taken over by the 3 SCCC guys... This season its the teenagers.
    Looks like Scott has a good pic of you.
    http://em.scottmosherphotography.com...0080301-092054

I see there's some punk behind you, or that you just passed him.

Silence! I kill you!
    Quote Originally Posted by JL de Jong

Hi Scott,

I ordered three pictures of myself racing. When Menso sees them he will probably tell me that my knees stick out too much and my fingers are on the brakes too much, but I have fun out there. Thanks for taken such great action shots. Good luck with the root canal and the PO. Ouch.

- J.L.
    Thanks!

I just got them edited & uploaded, so they should get shipped out tomorow.
    My Website:
    Scott Mosher Photography

My Recent Shoots
    The Blog

Lusus Naturae
    Quote Originally Posted by Zen_Turtle
    felt pretty good at the start: in fact I found myself ahead of everyone else in the first stretch of road, which felt pretty weird, as I was thinking "where is everyone?" - bad idea...
    Ahh, I did the same thing ... took off real fast at the beginning. I knew I'd pay for it but at the time it was just the fun thing to do! Actually when I dot-raced myself(only a step up form talking to one's self) on Motionbased, you can see the previous race had quite a faster start, perhaps because the 35-44 were started together at the same time as the 19-34, due to the small size of the groups. That being the case, I felt everyone was starting off a bit slow this time around.

Anyway, after catchinig my breath I did my usual controlled ride. Heart rate actually rose gradually throughout the race. Again the first lap was a pain but the 2nd and 3rd were pretty good ... a reminder that warming up is a good thing! While I did 4 minutes better than the last race, I also did not have to stop and raise my seatpost 3 times. Still, some improvement seen.

For this race I did a couple new things: Added short carbon bar-ends, wore lycra only for the first time in decades. Damn, before you know it I will be riding a friggen road bike and competing with kate moss for thinnest arms. Lesson learned: holding bar-ends when you need to be breaking leads to running directly into bushes.

I found myself coughing and clearing my throat for the next 24 hours after that race. Not sure exactly why but on another lung-related note, I decided to lay off the "medicinal toking" and will do my best to remain this way for as long as possible.

Once again it was nice to meet some more MTBR guys - aussie bob, coldawg, grrah, and others I dont recall. And Zen, congrats on a great performance. You will miss that Epic the next race, trust me!

Wish I'd stayed for the Expert/Pros... lots of big names/animals out there, including Moeshler, Yakaitis, Chaney, etc. finishing within seconds of eachother.

Natural body armor
    Quote Originally Posted by NoBalance
    You will miss that Epic the next race, trust me!
    I know. I'm negotiating with the boss/sponsor as we speak...

Seems like ibikergal has posted some new pics from the beg start.
    I wish somebody had pics of the beg. start from the end of the road section.
    Next time I'll race sports... better photo coverage...

ZT
    "There is no A-line"
    Quadzilla - On-One USA

mtbr member
    I had a great race, I took some LBs. off my bike with new wheel and tires and out of my camelbak and I took 2 1/2 min. off my time for the same course. I also know I was going faster because I did not get lapped by the leaders untill the last turn by the finish and usually I get lapped much earlier!! I was also not last in my class or the race so all is good.

After the race I took a bunch of photos and I have posted them along with rensho's beginners photo on:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/96201277@N00/

Enjoy, I know, I had fun taking them and ringing my cow bell!

The recovery ride after the races was good and I was dead tired at the end, fun overload

Are we there yet?
    [QUOTE=ibikergal]After the race I took a bunch of photos and I have posted them along with rensho's beginners photo on:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/96201277@N00/

QUOTE]

Congrats on your performance ibikergal & great photos! I've suckered a few more riders into attempting the 3/30 race! I gotta get me a cow bell for the next race and root everyone on.

I think it's time to wrap things up when you start racing with your tongue hanging out! At this point I was DONE!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Silence! I kill you!
    Quote Originally Posted by Zen_Turtle
    I wish somebody had pics of the beg. start from the end of the road section.
    Next time I'll race sports... better photo coverage...

ZT
    If I make it to the next race, I'll make sure to shoot it more.

My wife is due a few days after the race, so there is a strong possibility I'll either not make it, or leave early
    My Website:
    Scott Mosher Photography

My Recent Shoots
    The Blog

Wow! I just looked through all of Carmen's pics. Those are excellent. Thanks for taking them and posting them on flikererer. There's got to be like 1000 pics.
    What's really cool is you can look at the 'more properties' and it shows all the time stamps. Gives you a great idea how far ahead or behind you were at that point.

Natural body armor
    Quote Originally Posted by jorgemonkey
    If I make it to the next race, I'll make sure to shoot it more.

My wife is due a few days after the race, so there is a strong possibility I'll either not make it, or leave early
    Just kidding man
    Luckily Rensho and JeffH did a bunch of good pics so I'm pretty happy

Not sure I'd go too far if she's due in those days. I'm sure she'll want a pretty good photo coverage of the event....
    ZT
    "There is no A-line"
    Quadzilla - On-One USA

Natural body armor
    Wow! ...

What's really cool is you can look at the 'more properties' and it shows all the time stamps. Gives you a great idea how far ahead or behind you were at that point.
    GEEK!

Lusus Naturae
    Wow! I just looked through all of Carmen's pics. Those are excellent. Thanks for taking them and posting them on flikererer. There's got to be like 1000 pics.
    Interesting. You can also see who's camera needs to have its date properly configured!

Date and Time (Original): 2008:02:29 21:28:32

Thanks for the pics, Rensho.

2310654442_037c07835c_b.jpg

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Very nice pictures, Carmen.

The time stamping is an interesting feature indeed. After one lap (on the downhill), I was 1 minute and 18 seconds behind Jeff and at the finish (3 laps later) only 56 seconds. I'll have to start faster and stick to his wheel next time. Nothing like some friendly competition to keep motivated to train harder.

- J.L.
    Also known as Menso's dad.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast