Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member

CCCX #1 Roll-Call

Hey Norcal!

Just wanted to see who's planning to be at the first CCCX race of the year next weekend.
    I won't be racing this season because I'm living in Vancouver and attending UBC (lots of amazingly fun North Shore riding, but little xc training), but I'll be back for reading-week break next weekend and cheering on my dad (Bob a.k.a. caldaw) at his first real xc race!

Hope to see some familiar faces out there, and lets hope the rain holds off on race day

Colin

mtbr member
    Will be racing Beginner. First race ever..so should be interesting. Will be on Black Ano Blur LT2.

Any advice as to tires if it is raining?
    Originally Posted by XC62701
    Agreed...make it longer. I want to know death is an option

mtbr member
    I will be there too, haven't decided what bike either F/S or S/S either way it should be another great season. I am looking forward to racing in this event more than once like last year. See you there.

mtbr member
    This year will be my first year racing. Will be racing beginner on my Niner JET. We'll see if I can wake my lazy arse up, since I'm not much of an "early bird".

fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    i am Stay-Puff...as in the marshmallow man.....all soft and blah......no racing for me this season......just get in rides when I can......y'all can call me Stay-Puff-CHUM

BUT...me, mini-CHUM and my better half (Fe) will be out for a few of the races to cheer (be jealous) of y'all....
    Click Here for Forum Rules

jms
    mtbr member

How about

Quote Originally Posted by CHUM
    y'all can call me Stay-Puff-CHUM
    I'm thinking we can come with something better than that......how about "The Chumungous"?

I wont be attending my CCCX season opening beatdown @ expert this upcoming weekend. I'll be getting around to that little bit of comedy later this year. Do all cack up a lung for me out there on Sunday.

mtbr member
    I'm hoping to be there to have my arse handed to me.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I'm in...Hopefully it will be as good as the TBF race this past weekend.
    Last edited by sfmoto39; 02-09-2009 at 12:35 PM.

Caldaw

Lookin' forward to the riding!

Just have to decide whether to punish myself totally and do SPORT 45-54 or BEGINNER.
    Leaning towards beginner.

fc
    stoked Administrator
    I'm doing the Sierra Road time trial on Feb 14.

http://sanjoseclassic.com/01/index.p...=article&id=22

I think I'll enter the CEO category and crush these fat cats and their bonuses .

fc

Capricious youth...
    I'll be there for the DH on Mach 1st.

I mean the "DH"...
    Meh.

rj2
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Okie Dokie
    Any advice as to tires if it is raining?
    The terrain drains well, run your current set.
    We take care of your technology needs so you can focus on what's important.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by caldaw
    Just have to decide whether to punish myself totally and do SPORT 45-54 or BEGINNER.
    Leaning towards beginner.
    Do beginner since you haven't done a full race before.
    And if that's too easy you can always move up after a race or 2 and not jeopardize your series points (they drop 3 this year i've heard)

fc
    stoked Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by coldawg
    Do beginner since you haven't done a full race before.
    And if that's too easy you can always move up after a race or 2 and not jeopardize your series points (they drop 3 this year i've heard)
    Correct. First race, everyone on the border seems to drop down. Then they move up and find their spot.

fc

Flyin Canine
    have fun Bob, that race is a great atmosphere. I race the "DH" so I won't be there until March 1st, but I'll be rooting you on from San Jose

Capricious youth...
    Shane... what class are you racing for the "DH".
    Meh.

Lusus Naturae
    Yeah I'll be there, once again racing beginner. Shoulda moved up to Sport but whats a professional slacker to do? Doubt I'll come in 5th place or above.

Should I race with the 27# Reign or 24# XtC hardtail? Hummm...

Quote Originally Posted by NoBalance
    Yeah I'll be there, once again racing beginner. Shoulda moved up to Sport but whats a professional slacker to do? Doubt I'll come in 5th place or above.

Should I race with the 27# Reign or 24# XtC hardtail? Hummm...
    dude...didn't you "top 5" last year?.......race sport.....it's a grimacing fun time

mtbr member
    dude...didn't you "top 5" last year?.......race sport.....it's a grimacing fun time
    if thats the case, then yeah, sleep in the extra couple hours.

in 07 there was a guy in beginner cat that I don't think ever made the podium, but got 5th for the series by showing up to every race. The organizers made him move up last year.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Do you need a USAC license for these races?

Lusus Naturae
    Quote Originally Posted by grrrah
    if thats the case, then yeah, sleep in the extra couple hours.

in 07 there was a guy in beginner cat that I don't think ever made the podium, but got 5th for the series by showing up to every race. The organizers made him move up last year.
    Oh man, you guys are kidding right? Thats exactly what happened ... got 5th but really only once or twice sniffed 3rd place, if that. I guess I'm technically not a beginner, just a real crappy sport!

We'll see. I'm pretty damn sure that if I did race beginner, I'd come in mid-pack so the only thing that could sway me is the later wake up time of Sport starts. Plus the extra lap? Not sure how I could have raced the same speed for another lap without cramping. I'm really not sport material, seriously.

Here's how my 2008 CCCX races went, with my placing and minutes back of first place:
    1: 9th place, 20 min back
    2: 7th place, 20 min back
    3: 13th place, 17 min back
    4: 14th place, 10 min back
    5: 17th place, 22 min back (day after doing Boggs III)
    6: 5th place, 9 min back
    7: 5th place, 11 min back
    8: 7th place, 10 min back
    9: 7th place, 6 min back

And I am in worse shape now than I was at the final race. I'm worried racing Sport could mean getting lapped! Not to mention all the crazies from the 45-54 sport age group. That would seriously suck.

mtbr member
    hmm.. I can agree with your reasons to stay in beginner. Might want to ask.

Just mentioning that one case. I only spectated last year, and when I saw that guy racing sport, I was semi-surprised (no offense to him), then he told me about Kieth making him upgrade. I'm not sure what shape he was in, but seemed to know the organizers pretty well.

formerly Gobike69

Racing is stupid!

I don't want to race anymore. It's stupid and a waste of time etc. Just kidding. Those are the excuses I use to placate my angry inner voice

Actually I'm still getting over a injury that has had me off the bike for the last 9 weeks. The good news is that I was able to start riding again this last weekend. The bad news is I did well in Sport last year so I have to move up to Expert. I foresee a lot of suffering in my future

Everyone have fun this weekend. See you in a month or so.
    Speed costs money, how fast can you afford to go?

mtbr member
    As a new racer any suggestions as to clothing if it is raining? I imagine leg warmers and arm warmers might be used if it is cold but any other suggestions? I dont have much experience riding in the rain...actually none at all. It just does not rain that much!

mtbr member
    My rain strategy is to hope less people show up.

(I probably wouldn't change much for rain. You seem to have the temp thing sorted)

190lbs of climber
    I'm going, along with my girlfriend Lisette (PinkSkink). She's a newly upgraded "Cat 2" so this will be her first sport level race. I'm looking to stretch the legs and learn how to ride my xc bike again before the first US Cup race. Since I have to wait just like everyone else for the carbon goodness shipment to arrive in Santa Cruz, I'll be rocking the gold Chameleon for the time being.

If you're in the beginner race, I should get there in time to cheer you to the finish, and for the sports I can heckle the whole time.
    ye' old trailblog: www.most-excellent-adventures.com THE BAY AREA... WHERE IF IT'S FUN, IT'S ILLEGAL

mtbr member
    This will be my first XC race in 4 years. Heck, it's my 3rd race. My handy cap is this cold I caught. I have a fever and I've been coughing myself dizzy for a week. ugh
    I'll be in the beginner class for 39 yo men. I'm hoping to do at least 7 of the races.

Natural body armor

Racing Sport class 35-44 for the first time.

I'm pretty much ready to get my arse handed to me on a silver plate with a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila (these are friendly races after all...)

Hopefully Keith will ask me to go back to Beginners after a couple races...

This will also be the maiden voyage for my Blur XC (never been raced before)
    Will be fun...
    ZT
    "There is no A-line"
    Savvy Bike

rj2
    mtbr member
    And I am in worse shape now than I was at the final race. I'm worried racing Sport could mean getting lapped! Not to mention all the crazies from the 45-54 sport age group. That would seriously suck.
    Don't worry, you won't get pulled if lapped. And you'll do one place better than you think since Russ (gobike69) moved up. BTW, I'm not one of the aforementioned crazies.
    We take care of your technology needs so you can focus on what's important.

bike dork extraordinaire
    I'll be there in Sport 19-34. Like everyone has said, it will be a nice wake-up call to the world of pain.

Flyin Canine
    Quote Originally Posted by Prettym1k3
    Shane... what class are you racing for the "DH".
    I'll be in sport 19-34 it looks like. I turn 35 this year but not until right after the spring series ends. Anyone know the protocol on this one? In USA cycling I would race 35-44 class but not sure about the cccx rules.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shanedawg
    I'll be in sport 19-34 it looks like. I turn 35 this year but not until right after the spring series ends. Anyone know the protocol on this one? In USA cycling I would race 35-44 class but not sure about the cccx rules.
    For most races I've entered, your racing age is the age you reach by Dec 31st that year.
    Meaning you'd be 35-44.
    Check with the CCCX guys on that one though.

Can't wait to hopefully do some of the CCCX DH races when I'm home in May!

mtbr member
    Is the area where the course is run accessable on days other then races? I dont see trails marked out in the area where the race was held previously. Was going to be in the area tomorrow and might swing by to ride the course if possible. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Hey, is it safe to say that this event is rain or shine?

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Yep the area is accessable on other days as well. There are dozen of trails criscrossing the area and the actual race loop is always different though.
    I don't think the race has ever been cancelled due to rain.

We're heading into the mountains for some skiing and will miss the first CCCX race.

Good luck Menso, Lisette, Team Integrate and other MTBR riders.

- J.L.
    Also known as Menso's dad.

mtbr member
    Sorry to hear you wont make it JL. Was looking forward to seeing you again. Hopefully you make the next races.

have fun in the snow...I headed to Tahoe the 21st.

Eric

Capricious youth...
    Yeah, Shane... I think you move up to 35-44. I might be wrong, though.
    Meh.

Lusus Naturae
    Yikes, I'm seeing Rain Rain Rain on the horizon. Oh well not a problem in the sand I guess, just dont use those brakes cuz the sand will chew up your pads!

How do you take pictures with expensive cameras in the rain, I wonder? Going to bring mine along but don't want to destroy it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I'll be in sport SS. This will be my first XC race ever. Let's hope I'll survive...

Still trying to figure out what gearing to use... Is 36/17 (on 26 inch) too optimistic?

Quote Originally Posted by gaulois
    ....Still trying to figure out what gearing to use... Is 36/17 (on 26 inch) too optimistic?
    nope.....you should be good.....it's a *flattish* course (around 500 footies per lap)....i pushed 32:16 for last years season...and i'm pretty soft...

Working on my Drops
    Hey guys,

I've never raced before but this is something i'm interested in. How technical is the DH beginner race? Are there any trails in the south bay that is comproable so i can get a sense of the track and difficutly? UCSC trails? Demo?

mtbr member
    Rain or shine i will be there for my second race of the season. I am looking forward to hearing my brakes grind.....

190lbs of climber
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBAlex
    Hey guys,

I've never raced before but this is something i'm interested in. How technical is the DH beginner race? Are there any trails in the south bay that is comproable so i can get a sense of the track and difficutly? UCSC trails? Demo?
    The DH courses are easier than any of the trails you mention. It's more like racing down Seven Springs in Fremont Older. The thing is, since the trail is clear of hikers and uphill bike traffic you can carry waaaaay more speed. There's nothing really technical, just good high speed cornering practice. Also, pedal everywhere you can.
    ye' old trailblog: www.most-excellent-adventures.com THE BAY AREA... WHERE IF IT'S FUN, IT'S ILLEGAL

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gaulois
    I'll be in sport SS. This will be my first XC race ever. Let's hope I'll survive...

Still trying to figure out what gearing to use... Is 36/17 (on 26 inch) too optimistic?
    Hey I was in the same position as you last year! First XC Race, sport SS.
    I used 33/18 on a 29er which translates to roughly 32/16 on a sixer. And I definitely could've used more gear in a lot of places. There were a few climbs where it was a pretty hard push, but I easily could've dropped a tooth or 2 in the back and benefited from it 90+% of the time (i.e. all the flat sections where I could've gone faster). so just try it out and make changes throughout the season as you see fit. Generally the races alternate between longer and flatter, and shorter and punchier. Not always predictably though.

Good luck and have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by coldawg
    Hey I was in the same position as you last year! First XC Race, sport SS.
    you also took first in SS for the series....won every race (minus 1 i think)......and pretty much destroyed almost everybody in the Sport class....gearies...age....didn't matter.....all on a 29lb+ bike.....rigid 1/2 the time.....on a course *not-so-great* for singlespeed....

you were very...very...evil to chase.....think i lasted a whopping 3 minutes in your wake once before i went completely anaerobic....dammit.....

you da man.....

Working on my Drops
    Quote Originally Posted by Menso
    The DH courses are easier than any of the trails you mention. It's more like racing down Seven Springs in Fremont Older. The thing is, since the trail is clear of hikers and uphill bike traffic you can carry waaaaay more speed. There's nothing really technical, just good high speed cornering practice. Also, pedal everywhere you can.

Great thanks for the response menso.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Menso
    Oh snap if they every had a race down 7 Springs I'd SO be there! I've ridden that trail more times than... more times than I've ridden every other trail combined I'd bet.. gotta love living 4 miles away from FO

mtbr member
    you also took first in SS for the series....won every race (minus 1 i think)......and pretty much destroyed almost everybody in the Sport class....gearies...age....didn't matter.....all on a 29lb+ bike.....rigid 1/2 the time.....on a course *not-so-great* for singlespeed....

you were very...very...evil to chase.....think i lasted a whopping 3 minutes in your wake once before i went completely anaerobic....dammit.....

you da man.....
    Aw you're makin me blush man! thanks haha
    But it's not like I was tellin him to gear up or anything! The gear he's got is jussst higher than what we were running, so he should be fine.
    I wonder what would've happened had I gone up a gear or 2... could've been interesting on one of the flatter courses :-)

Damn I'm bummed I'm missing out on the series this year! Hopefully I'll do some of the DHs in May/June though.

So Chum, you coming out this weekend or is little chum due real soon?

mtbr member
    Sport Men 19-34. Look for me in Orange and Black BEAVER gear like I always wear. (OSU)

Lusus Naturae
    Quote Originally Posted by worthy_4242
    Rain or shine i will be there for my second race of the season. I am looking forward to hearing my brakes grind.....
    What category you racing? Sport Clydes or?

I'm going to do beginner again. If I come in top 3 in the first 2 races I'll move up.

mtbr member
    Does CCCX have a bump/sandbagger system?
    I'm a beginner and I doubt I'll get bumped, so I should just shut up and ride.
    I think I'll bring my EZ-up so I have a place to hide from the rain. I'll be in a SJBC kit. Come say hi to an enthusiastic beginner. Man I hope I shake this cough soon. -Pete

Quote Originally Posted by mellowyellowCJ7
    Does CCCX have a bump/sandbagger system?...
    general rule is if you ended up placing in the top 5 during the previous race series then you move up a cat....easy-peasy....

you hear that NoBalance

Devo
    the sport race starts at 11am?
    www.AsanaCycles.com
    "Bicycle Lifestyle, realized." D.G.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SelfPropelledDevo
    the sport race starts at 11am?
    Yes, on this page:
    http://www.cccx.org/mtb/2009/index.shtml

bike dork extraordinaire
    general rule is if you ended up placing in the top 5 during the previous race series then you move up a cat....easy-peasy....

you hear that NoBalance
    That makes you and me Expert or Cat 1 racers??

I think I'll stay in Sport at least until I win a race.

Quote Originally Posted by sirkrameroy
    That makes you and me Expert or Cat 1 racers?? .....
    that is exactly why i planned on having my first kid this season.....so i could skip a year and not get full-on dogpile clobbered in expert SS.....

smart aint i

and yes.....YOU should race expert.....you're a fast mofo....

edit - in reality there is noooooo way i could bump to expert.....i was gonna give the geared class a try this season in Sport.....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sirkrameroy
    That makes you and me Expert or Cat 1 racers??

I think I'll stay in Sport at least until I win a race.
    Yah, the podium rule is for beginner class. At least as far a NORBA has anything to say about it. Sport riders move up by their own decision, and can after 2 podiums to Expert.

CCCX is self catorgized... most people know when to move up, unless you are on a 35 pound steel full rigid single speed with silly handle bars and you post things on this thread and you win 7 races in a 9 race series and no show 1... but I am not bitter.... HA HA, love yah buddy.....

I have 3 kids and a wife and a job... I will race Expert when I win a Sport Championship... heck I'd like to win a Sport race...

SS Sport, I'll be there.

Lusus Naturae

you hear that NoBalance
    Hehe ... hey let a man sandbag at least once! I know you've all done it! This will make up for when I did the "Expert" course at Lemurian when I could have done the toddler (beginner) course. Seriously, that was loop was a joke!

Last year was an example of what a lowly rider can do if he sets his mind to a goal and steadily gets better and never misses a date. I felt great accomplishment from that. On the opposite end of the stick, I took my "off-season" way too seriously, totally blowing it!

From now on, no more off-season; no more getting fat and slow and not doing cardio.

Salinas Steve

I wasn't going to, but...

I haven't ridden my mtb. bike but a half a dozen times since last season, and I'm out of shape bad. Chum said he was like stay-puff. I have more the physic of kung-foo panda, but I need to get back in shape, so racing is defanitely a forced way to do it. (I need the motivation) so, if I dont have to work this weekend I'll move to sport clydes, the extra lap will do me good. Me and the bike together, 300lbs. were talkin super clyde.
    Climbing aint easy
    when your fat and greasy

Lusus Naturae
    Quote Originally Posted by 2 Bigsteve
    I haven't ridden my mtb. bike but a half a dozen times since last season, and I'm out of shape bad. Chum said he was like stay-puff. I have more the physic of kung-foo panda, but I need to get back in shape, so racing is defanitely a forced way to do it. (I need the motivation) so, if I dont have to work this weekend I'll move to sport clydes, the extra lap will do me good. Me and the bike together, 300lbs. were talkin super clyde.
    And you got a new name on here?? Wow, talk about falling off the mountain biking cliff!
    Maybe we can all ride sport so I have a smaller chance of coming in last.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    So--it's true--the DH was re-scheduled for March 1st? Was really looking forward to this series, but I broke my collarbone. Now I'm just hoping to catch Sea Otter...sigh...

bikerbert
    NoBalance, your "resume" shows enough experience to move up. But honestly, the first race in February isn't something anyone should get that worked up over. Race where you think you will have the most fun, that's really the reason we all do this, right?

If you have a great race in a lower category, you can move up on the 28th, no harm no harm no foul.

Lusus Naturae
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerbert
    NoBalance, your "resume" shows enough experience to move up. But honestly, the first race in February isn't something anyone should get that worked up over. Race where you think you will have the most fun, that's really the reason we all do this, right?

If you have a great race in a lower category, you can move up on the 28th, no harm no harm no foul.

You're all pretty ridiculous and need to shut up!

jms
    mtbr member

I do

Quote Originally Posted by Okie Dokie
    I dont have much experience riding in the rain...actually none at all
    But, I do. I spent @ 16hrs + racing in the rain last year, and it's not a ton of fun, especially if you have any semblance of mechanical sympathy. It's also going to majorly SUCK out there on Sunday, not from the rain alone, but the combination of 25 mph wind with gust to 35 mph and rain. Having said that, here's some info that might help:

Protect your extremities - wool socks and GOOD waterproof gloves, that allow some degree of dexterity.

Wear actual lycra racing shorts, baggies in the wind and rain don't work all that well, unless you're looking for an hour plus, sand douche.

Drink something warm before the race.

Lube your drivetrain heavily pre-race, especially with the current outboard BB stuff w/wide chainlines, chainsuck is going to be a problem. After the race, plan on tossing the chain, the sand @ CCCX devours drivetrains when it's wet.

Lower your tire pressures a bit.

Stay home and do something fun, race another day [my plan].

Good luck out there

Natural body armor
    Quote Originally Posted by jms

Some good advice there, except the last line.
    (and tossing the chain seems a little extreme...)

Racing in the rain is fun, especially at Ft.Ord.

You're all pretty ridiculous and need to shut up!
    I tend to agree with that.
    I never understood people pushing other people to bump up.
    Unless you are winning races every time, it's your personal decision, which is driven by the amount of time you are willing to put into training, your personal goals and your stress levels (work, life, etc.). You're ready when you're ready.

The guy who won our class last year, did win 7 out of 9 races, by several minutes (and I'm very curious to see if he's still racing Beg this year). That's one real case of sandbagging. (and organizers should do something about those obvious cases.

I have more the physic of kung-foo panda, but I need to get back in shape, so racing is defanitely a forced way to do it. (I need the motivation) so, if I dont have to work this weekend I'll move to sport clydes, the extra lap will do me good. Me and the bike together, 300lbs. were talkin super clyde.
    What happened to Salinas Steve? got banned??
    Kung-foo panda eh? Remember, "there is no secret ingredient..." (...but beer helps)
    Hope to see you tomorrow Steve: I'll be on the sport start line at 11.

ZT
    "There is no A-line"
    Savvy Bike

bike dork extraordinaire
    Quote Originally Posted by jms

Good luck out there
    Given tomorrow's deluge, that's the best advice. Good luck all you crazies who are racing tomorrow, and I'll see you on the 28th.

Lusus Naturae
    Quote Originally Posted by Zen_Turtle
    I tend to agree with that.
    I never understood people pushing other people to bump up.

ZT
    I do actually enjoy the jabs ... its kind of encouraging in a way. I almost feel like I COULD race Sport after all that nonsense but I know better. I plan on racing as many laps as the Sport class just to see how it feels, depending on the weather situation of course.

Boy is it nice and sunny out here right now. Here's some pictures taken 2 minutes ago from my front deck:

deck1.JPG

deck2.JPG

mtbr member
    It probably going to rain or be wet on the course, but do I need MUD tires???

Most of the soil is sandy and CCCX, so I think it will drain and stay more or less firm, but I have never been there when it is really wet, so I dont know.

I want to run a the Crow tire which is high, volume, kina wide, and has really fast rolling low nobs. Yet, if it is sloppy it might be ugly.

Devo
    I do actually enjoy the jabs ... its kind of encouraging in a way. I almost feel like I COULD race Sport after all that nonsense but I know better. I plan on racing as many laps as the Sport class just to see how it feels, depending on the weather situation of course.

Boy is it nice and sunny out here right now. Here's some pictures taken 2 minutes ago from my front deck:

deck1.JPG

deck2.JPG
    well....
    yesterday i rode for a bit, and ended up out at West Camp, did the course a couple of times, rode around some more, and ended up back home in Del Rey Oaks.

yesterday's weather was nicer, no doubt.

this morning i woke up, checked the radar, out the door at 715am, to make the Saturday Morning Ride with Velo Club Monterey.

looked up, noticed a nice big rainbow, then the rain @ about 41F, for an hour or more...

turned around, went home, hot shower, and back to bed.
    www.AsanaCycles.com
    "Bicycle Lifestyle, realized." D.G.

mtbr member
    The last time I raced was in New England about 2 years ago. I'd like to make it out to #2. Sport Class, Beginner requires getting up way too early.
    I like to ride bikes.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Im in, last time I raced was seven years ago, at Fort Ord. Should be intresting Im going to run Sport 35-44 with my all mountain rig. Dont want to be the beginner on a expensive bike and race bibs. Well it will be a fun drive from Sonoma tomorrow morning.
    Transition Scout Carbon

Salinas Steve

pre-road the coarse

I just got back from riding the coarse. It's a little differant route, some fast sections, I like it. I think it will hold up to the rain just fine. I'll see you all tomorrow.
    Oh, the name change. I just think it's more fitting.
    Climbing aint easy
    when your fat and greasy

Lusus Naturae
    I just got back from riding the coarse. It's a little differant route, some fast sections, I like it. I think it will hold up to the rain just fine. I'll see you all tomorrow.
    Oh, the name change. I just think it's more fitting.
    Thanks Steve! How about I cut you a huge deal on my Edge 305 and you can record the routes the day before and share them? After all, that will give me a reason to get the latest and greatest!

It'll be nice to see everyone again. I cant wait! Now I gotta try and get some sleep.

mtbr member
    it was another great event. The beginner class missed most of the rain but i dont know about the other classes. The course was a lot of fun again. I have never been on that side of Fort Ord before. See you in a few more week at #2

Lusus Naturae
    If anyone lost a Garmin Edge 305, PM me or list your birth date and its yours at the next race.

mtbr member
    2 Bigsteve was that you who led out the 35-44 men up the first hill?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by worthy_4242
    it was another great event. The beginner class missed most of the rain but i dont know about the other classes. The course was a lot of fun again. I have never been on that side of Fort Ord before. See you in a few more week at #2
    Sport/2 started with a lite sprinkle which got stronger as the race went on(the course got darn slick too). The pro/1s started in full rain. Great time, report to come.

Natural body armor
    Well, first race in sport class was a rude (as much as expected) awakening.
    Those guys are crazy fast: it'll be a long painful season.

The start was delayed: it felt like it took forever to get going as it was cold and raining.
    It was raining (not heavily though). The course was pretty fast and fun, except for the 'sloppy hill' (that wasn't so much fun).
    I suffered from chain suck from the first lap, in the middle ring, so I got stuck in the granny for the first 3 laps and then (as rain increased) big ring/big cog was the only combination working.

The goal was to finish, possibly not DFL and in less than 2 hours.

I had a personal photographer (I think Kris got a dozen pics of me )

Congrats to Rafael on his podium in sport and many thanks to Menso for the cheering and yelling - it really helped.
    KenDobson was nice to meet you.

Looking forward to next one.

I don't have pics, just one shot of the Expert start (there was a minor crash involving 3 riders, but seems like nobody got hurt)
    "There is no A-line"
    Savvy Bike

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Well I made it down from Sonoma and back alive. That was a good day, meet Zen Turtle and finished the race in 1:48.38 on my Garmin for 21.07 miles. It was fun and the Ibis Mojo SL did a great job. Next time I will bring a water bottle with me or wear my hydro pack. I didnt ask if their was a water station and being racy I thought my pack would be best if left off. Oh well look forward to the next one.
    Transition Scout Carbon

mtbr member

My abbreviated race report

Class: Sport / Class 2, only about 7 or 8 in our group.

Weather: Like one of the many snot rockets I shot out during the race.

We started in a light rain that wasn't too bad, but it was cold and windy, which was pretty bad! I met Killroy on the start line, and as soon as we started, he was off! We started with the SS group, since both were small groups (<10 for each). I kept Killroy and the lead group in sight for about 1/2 a lap, when they all seemed to easily pull away while I was at my max, and couldn't maintain it. I joined and separated from a couple groups from the leaders of the groups that started behind, but I pretty much rode 80% of the race by myself. It was pretty uneventfull without any passing except I passed one guy in my group that was pulled over with chain issues. Oh, and rain was now coming down hard, and the course was getting really muddy/slick in some parts. On the last lap, we started to lap a couple of high school racers (big props to the large high school contingent), and eventually a couple guys from other groups passed me, but I crossed the line with no one in sight either in front or behind.

I got out of the muddy kit as quickly as possible, then went to check the results... 3rd! (out of 7 finishers) Sweet! First Sport/Cat 2 podium!

The course was different due to closure of a lot of the usual trails. I would say the new trails are a nice addition, but don't hold up in the wet weather as well.

Great seeing Coldawg (and dad), ZenT, NoBalance, Killroy, mellowyellowCJ, and many others out!

Lusus Naturae
    After the slacking that pretty much started as soon as the Downieville race ended, I knew this was going to hurt. Well I was right and Keith decided to start us off on a pretty tough course. There was much elevation to be had as you'll see below.

I did have a great race. The new single-track on the other side of the pavement was excellent! The fun proved to be far more than the pain. Take a look at the Motionbased record - some data missing at the start:

http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/7631559

I did manage to get a bunch of photos with my new Canon EOS Rebel XS DSLR. Notice on some of them how there are particles of sand flying through the air. I thought it was bad pictures but using the "Sports" mode (yeah I took the easy way this time) the camera is able to stop motion very well.

Here are some shots. The rest can be found at Flickr by clicking through.

graaah in blue

Wheee!

DPP_0013

Marco Sufferin!

Megan!

mtbr member
    If you got pics, post 'em.

Wow, I totally surprised myself to day and got 1st in Sport 19-34.

I think a big factor was the wet weather, because I remember from racing CCCX two years ago a lot thicker sport fields with some very fast guys taking the podium. I say the weather worked to my advantage because all the fair weather fast guys (roadies) stayed home and I fair well when the conditions get ugly. I have been in more nasty races in Oregon and Cool Mt Bike Race, 2006 (If you were there you remember the 10in of snow and the 20 water crossings. BUUURRRR!)

I was a little surprised the race promoter put the high schoolers in front of the rest of sport because we were just going to eat them alive. THEN the race promoter started us a mere 30 seconds back. I was afraid that we were going to get trapped behind them on a single track. I like getting the hole shot, so I started near the front. As soon as we hit the dirt we were already catching the high schoolers, but I came upon the bulk of them on the first fire road up-hill pitch, which is when I attacked, hard, splitting the majority of the junior field right down the middle track. I was burning the candle pretty hard, and my girl friend said that she cringed as she saw my red, but it think it paid off, because I did not have any issues on the single track.

The rest of the race I just tried to stay upright as the course got wetter and sloppier each lap, tried not to get blown around by the wind and set a pace the would let me finish without hitting the wall.

I have been talking about the high schoolers in a negative way, but my feelings are the opposite. The high school race series that has sprung up in California is amazing and is pulling a lot of juniors into cycling, including a lot of young women. I think this is a great thing for the teens and a great thing for cycling. Those kids are going to grow up to be a force to reckon with and there is going to be a huge influx of women to a normally male dominated sport. I wish there were mountain bike teams when I was in high school.

I caught up with the junior leaders and they are fast. A couple of the guys are very talented at downhill and they road away from me. There uphill pace was fast too and I road with those guys for a lap. I do have some constructive criticism if any junors are reading this: don’t surge with your pace, it will wear you out and leave some buffer between your fellow teammates when going down hill. Sometimes the juniors would pull away from me and I thought to myself, ah-o, I’m fading. Then I would catch and ride right past them, only for them to surge and repeat.

I consider myself lucky because I was having trouble sealing my ‘No Tubes’ Kenda Karma front tire, I ran a tube in the rear, where I normally run tubeless and other stuff I need to fix on my bike.

Anyway, awesome race. I don’t know if I can make the next race, but I will be back.

Last edited by Killroy; 02-17-2009 at 09:15 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    nobalance, thanks you have one pic of me #539.
    Transition Scout Carbon

mtbr member
    Hey it was nice meeting a bunch of you down there. I had a great time. The course got pretty slick on the last lap. I bet it was pretty sloppy for the fast guys. Rafael great job getting on the box in sport!!! I looked at my data and I averaged 169bpm. I was on the rev limiter from the start.
    Two of us got a jump on the 35-45 beginner pack by making a few early passes before the climb and a few more before the single track. I lost the leader on the decent. I was too timid at first with passing. My only other experience was Sea Otter 4 years ago where passing was almost impossible. I was surprised how easy it was to pass on the single track. I learned a lot and I’m really looking forward to the next one.
    It was really cool to see people all over the course taking pictures and cheering people on.
    What a great time!

There were tons of high school riders in the beginner pack as well. They did great. I did not catch too many of them. If I did they all seemed to be having a good time. Kudos to the high school coaches and ride-on to the juniors!
    I hope my nephew can make the next one too. He missed this one because of a road bike wreck this week.
    Last edited by mellowyellowCJ7; 02-16-2009 at 08:00 PM.

mtbr member
    MellowyellowCJ7 it was me that was with you at the very beginning. After we took the front I figured you and I would put some distance on the rest of the pack but I think I got a quick pass in before hitting the first single track descent and that separated us a bit. After that I went pretty hard the first lap and a half and then sort of just kept a good pace up for the rest of the race. Was pretty happy with how I did as was my first race ever. It seemed like I put the most distance on people in the descents which I thought were great. Also agree it was much easier to pass then expected...and everyone was considerate in letting faster riders by. I had a great time and was nice to meet you Mellow and some of the other riders.

All I know is that it was getting pretty slick on the last lap and I cannot imagine having to start later and doing 4or 5 laps in those conditions.

Caldaw

Fun Race, where are the photos from the regular phototog there

That was a fun first race and the weather early in the day wasn't too bad.

Does anyone know where the photo's taken by the professional photographer that attends are? He said he links to CCCX site, but I didn't see anything there.

Natural body armor
    Quote Originally Posted by caldaw
    That was a fun first race and the weather early in the day wasn't too bad.

Does anyone know where the photo's taken by the professional photographer that attends are? He said he links to CCCX site, but I didn't see anything there.
    Rick Rasmussen is the man: they will post the link on the CCCX site along with results (today or tomorrow I guess)
    Here's the link to his page, with last year pics.
    http://bikeguy.smugmug.com/
    "There is no A-line"
    Savvy Bike

Lusus Naturae
    Caldaw - here is the link to Rick's Smugmug page. Most likely the pics will be uploaded later on today unless he's taking ToC pictures, which is probably the case so check in tomorrow.

http://bikeguy.smugmug.com/

Looking forward to his pics as well!

Edit: Looks like they're being posted!
    Last edited by NoBalance; 02-16-2009 at 12:19 PM.

Natural body armor
    "There is no A-line"
    Savvy Bike

Lusus Naturae
    Finally got all the results up. Some Pros/Experts actually did 5 laps (not including warmups). Congrats to Menso for the typical beat down. Still waiting on Rick's Sport and Expert/Pro pics.

mtbr member
    all the pics are up.. looks like the expert/pros got all the sloppy fun

runner w/ biking problem
    Jan 2008
    Menso from Lisette's computer:
    It was fun for two laps, then the guy who was with me broke his rear derailleur spring. We stopped since I hate to win races like that, but he told me it was done for--stupid xtr shadows. It was an hour long solo slog from there. Get this... I not only wore completely through my front and rear brake pads, but also complete through the metal back plate on the rear pad! With a lap and a half to go I heard a little *clink* and no longer had a rear brake. Upon inspection after the race, I discovered that the piston punched completely through the pad. New pads are a must of course, and now a new rotor, and I'm hoping my caliper isn't busted too.

Lisette kicked butt in her first sport race and took home a second place. Time to upgrade soon!

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Menso and Lisette,

Congratulations on your race results! We were having fun in the Sierra's. I love skiing in fresh powder snow.
    I thought I was the only one who "braked too much" and ruined his disk rotors. That was during a rainy ride in the dunes of Fort Ord as well.
    - J.L.
    Also known as Menso's dad.

mtbr member

(Ali)
    Sep 2006
    Great job Zen_Turtle! I wish I were there too.

I rode only once since the last time at Fort Ord with you. :-O I hope I haven't quit biking altogether.

Ali

mtbr member
    I tacoed my wheel in the first lap...so I ran back to my team set up area(SHS MTB Team) got another bike and managed not to get last! yay for me. Take the extra 15 minutes of walking back with my bike, I think I would've medaled.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SuccaMC
    I tacoed my wheel in the first lap...so I ran back to my team set up area(SHS MTB Team) got another bike and managed not to get last! yay for me. Take the extra 15 minutes of walking back with my bike, I think I would've medaled.
    I think by traditional NORBA rules, that would be a disqualification, unless you carried a spair bike on your back.

No mechanical support in mountain biking, but then again this is a independent race.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Killroy
    I think by traditional NORBA rules, that would be a disqualification, unless you carried a spair bike on your back.

No mechanical support in mountain biking, but then again this is a independent race.

The USCF off road rules (norba doesn't exist anymore) are:

6B3. Racers shall complete the entire event (or individual
    stage) on the same bicycle upon which the event was begun.
    6B4. All repairs during an event will be performed by the
    individual racer. No outside support is permitted. Riders
    whose bicycles are not functional will be allowed to continue
    to the finish line, where they may be asked to withdraw from
    the race by the chief Referee.
    6B5. All spare parts and tools shall be carried by the
    individual racer, to be used only by that racer; cannibalizing
    other bikes is not permitted. A racer can only use spare parts
    or tools that he/she started with at the beginning of the race.

The race is sanctioned under ABR, which states:
    Participants shall compete only on the same bicycle with which they began the event.
    All repairs shall be performed by the individual on the course or in a wheel pit.
    Equipment may not be removed from other bicycles for use in repair.

The rider is a NorCal HS rider, which allows for outside mechanical support with a 5min penalty for each incident.

I suppose it's up to Keith in the end.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    What's the downhill course like?

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Big congrats go out to Menso, Okie Dokie and Lisette. Sadly I couldn't make it out there. The gf was too content with staying inside and watching movies on Sunday and the 2 hour drive didn't look appealing.

So way to go guys and gals. Okie Dokie, you need to find some time to come up here to SLO and get me to go out and ride with you and Menso again. I haven't ridden since MDO.
    Trance X2, random build Sette Shadow, S&M Sabbath flatlander, Mongoose bmx racer, Schwinn World roadie.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0