Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: CCCX #1 Report

Lusus Naturae

CCCX #1 Report

What a fun course! I decided to use the hardtail but I feel now this was either a bad decision or I just need to ride hardtails more ... was being bounced around all day long.

Still, glad I made it out there and it was nice to meet you all - Rensho, Jeff, SirK, kpd, and Zen, who rode the course even with failed shock linkage! Too bad you could not finish.

My race went as planned - go out easy, ride my own pace and pick off people as they slowed. I've linked to my Motionbased record (don't mind the error in heart rate at the beginning):

http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/e...Value=4951793#

Also here are some pics I took from two positions on the course:

http://picasaweb.google.com/krisp108/2008CCCXXC1

Some fast guy:

mtbr member
    Oh i think i saw you taking pix there!
    Get any of me? I'm #228, blue rigid 29er, grey jersey, baggy shorts

Man that was a fun race! I'm definitely coming back for as many as I can this year

mtbr member
    Oops I'll just look through your gallery..

Lusus Naturae
    Quote Originally Posted by coldawg

Man that was a fun race! I'm definitely coming back for as many as I can this year
    Possibly this one ...

EDIT: That one section in the pic, and just before that, were probably the bumpiest. I hated it ... wanted my full-suspension bike real bad.

ballbuster

yeah....

I think I parked next to you at the race. Black GTi, brown Monocog29er with disc brakes, pink socks.

I had a pretty good, or bad race... depending on how you look at it. Good because I had fun and no crashes or major mechanicals (except for one flat), but I came in DFL in Singlespeed class. This was my first SS race.

After about the second lap, I hardly saw anybody. I had a flat the last lap with about 3 miles to go, but that only added about 4-5 minutes to my losses. I actually finished 15 minutes behind next to last place. I spun pretty well, but started to cramp up the third lap, so I babied my legs a bit and ran up the worst climbs.

Silence! I kill you!
    I had a blast out there baking the sun gettin some good photos. I was the guy with the big camera, brown MTBR shirt and probably wearing kneepads.

I know I saw Rensho, Adam (I believe it was Adam or something, I remember you had the great looking dog!)

And JMS (I think it was) who I gave a ride back to the parking lot with due to a nice flat tire
    My Website:
    Scott Mosher Photography

My Recent Shoots
    The Blog

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Wow, that was so hard and yet so much fun. I decided to ride Menso's old hard tail after a super fast rebuild with new bottom bracket, brakes and shifter cables on Saturday by Evolution Bike Shop in Cupertino - thanks guys. The bike is 4 pounds lighter than my Superlight and I also decided to forgo the camelback for just a large bottle of gaterode, but that was still not good enough to keep up with JeffH. But at least I was racing with a bunch of others back and forth, finishing 13th out of 23 in the Sport 45-54 group. The course was a blast: some short steep climbs and nice flowing downhills. Not a single road section! I thought I had saved some energy for a fast final lap, but I couldn't push any harder on those last few climbs. I think I have to get used to Menso's gearing ratio. His "granny gear" is more like 2-2 on my other bike. Good thing I did a few single speed training rides in Fremont Older. My split times were 5:07, 22:12, 22:26, 23:05, 23:55 for a total of 1:36:44 about 10 minutes from the winner in my group.
    My race number was 918, in case anyone has pictures.
    Thanks kpd and michigan_mat for carpooling with me and the good conversation.
    I won't be at next week's race. We'll be on our first family ski trip this year. But I'll definitely will be back for more races later in the year.
    - J.L.
    Last edited by JL de Jong; 02-10-2008 at 09:33 PM.
    Also known as Menso's dad.

mtbr member
    Oh yes, the XC seasons is here.

Today was my first CCCX sport race, with the extra lap and the added competition it sure lets you know that there are some fast fit riders out there.

I felt the effects of my lax off season training today and the need to work on my cramping that happed in the last 1/3 of my race. I thought I had taken enough Sport Legs and hydrated well for the last few days to hold off any cramping. I'm thinking of trying some salt tabs for next weeks race with some Sports Legs.

I traded positions about 5 times during the race with a Los Gatos Bike Club rider and I was finely able to make some room on him in the last lap only to find out later he was in another class. He sure did help keep my motivation up though.

I ended up 9th out of 23 in Sport 45+

Here's my Motion Based for the race.

http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/i...kValue=4952843

NoBalance, thanks for the nice shot of me.

See you all next week.
    Last edited by jeffh; 02-11-2008 at 07:55 AM.

Natural body armor

Got my first DNF...

... but a pretty good reason for it (still sucks though... )
    I was feeling pretty good this morning, did my warm up (almost a full lap), fast course, good traction, great weather, what else could you ask for?

Got back to the car, 10 mins to the start, and as they call "all racers to the start line" I notice a hairline crack in the rear shock linkage ... 15 secs panic (yeah, that was panic) and then I go, ok, f*** that s*** (can't report the exact swearing in Italian...) I'm gonna race anyway.
    Maybe not the smartest thing to do, but I was too pumped to give up at that point.
    Made a mental note to ride conservatively (yeah, right) then off we go.
    Had a pretty decent start and everything was fine up to the first half of the first lap when the link gave up coming out of a turn.

Well, after that the highlight of the day was good food and Coronas

Frame is already stripped of all components and ready for the shop.

ZT
    "There is no A-line"
    Quadzilla - On-One USA

mtbr member
    Get any of me? I'm #228, blue rigid 29er,

You mean this guy,

btw: Great race coldawg with your 2nd place in Sport SS
    Attached Images Attached Images

jms
    mtbr member

Check, that was me!

Quote Originally Posted by jorgemonkey
    And JMS (I think it was) who I gave a ride back to the parking lot with due to a nice flat tire
    Check, that was me! You're my HERO Jorgemonkey ! Yes, 4.5 laps into my 5 lap beat-down by the gang in Fossil Expert I DOUBLE flatted, and commenced the Sierra Club Day Hike portion of my day...... Fortunately Jorgemonkey saw me ambling along down the road, leaking a trail of Stan's fluid, communing with nature, and offered up a ride back to start/finish.
    What a blast! I was running @ mid pack at the start of last lap, enjoying the h*ll [in a sort of masochistic way] out of the race, thinking, maybe fifth?......... Alas it was not to be: @ the start of the fourth lap, the rear tire got indigestion @ started burping rounding turns and went Stay-Puff marshmellow soft......followed soon thereafter by the failure of "Das Boot" on my Schwalbe Racing Ralph's sidewall. And that, was that......until my new best friend Jorgemonkey rescued me.
    All in all a great day: My part-time "Co-Inhabitant In Sin's" daughter Maxime, raced for the first time, and most importantly had a ton of fun. AND of minor importance, finished fifth Perfect weather, fun course, wonderful organizers - major to Rod and Keith. And most of all, great seeing all the MTBR gang of racers and spectators alike - you're all the best. Hope to see you all next Sunday! Rumor has it, it could be a Mother/Daughter MTB catfight in beginner class........KINKY

mtbr member
    Here's a few shots of the Experts

jms and MunchkinSS

mtbr member
    A few Sport Racers

mind taking
    Todays race was... humbling. I have a feeling (my legs have a feeling actually) that I need a few more Beginner races before I graduate to Sport class.

That said, thank you to all the friends of MTBR who were out on the trial cheering for me, it was really great. Looking forward to the next time.

rho
    Captain Pinchflat
    Looks like an awesome race!
    I wish I could have made it out there!

Curse working on weekends.

Silence! I kill you!
    Here is one I got of ya

My Website:
    Scott Mosher Photography

My Recent Shoots
    The Blog

Silence! I kill you!
    I finally got all my photos up, I ended up with around 220+ for each race time.

http://scottmosher.exposuremanager.com/g/cccx_xc_1
    My Website:
    Scott Mosher Photography

My Recent Shoots
    The Blog

bike dork extraordinaire
    That was a fast, tough, and fun day at the races! My fitness isn't quite what I'd like it to be, and I nearly gave out on the fourth and final lap, but I managed enough for a 7th place in Sport 19-24, only missing 5th place by 10 seconds or so. A couple of guys on cross bikes piped me at the finish!

Nice photos all around, and kudos to the MTBR cheering section for giving us all some raucous encouragement (except Rensho who should have been racing ).

190lbs of climber
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffh
    A few Sport Racers
    Hey, I see my bike there!
    THE BAY AREA... WHERE IF IT'S FUN, IT'S ILLEGAL

mtbr member
    Wow, cool. Thanks for all the pix guys!

So before today I was kind of bummed there was no Beginner SS category, considering I just bought my first SS less than 3 weeks ago and have never raced XC before, but now i'm glad I did sport :-) That was such a blast! I hope to make it out to every race I can this year!!

jorge, my dad was at one of the same spots as you with a little point and shoot, and he told me he saw someone there with a really nice camera, so it's cool you got a good shot :-)

and jeffh, rensho, and felicia good to see you guys out there, hopefully we can ride again soon! and nick, if you're reading this, we missed you out there!

Silence! I kill you!
    So this must have been the look of, "I Made it!"

My Website:
    Scott Mosher Photography

My Recent Shoots
    The Blog

Silence! I kill you!

And one for Rensho

I snapped a couple of you and didn't realize you weren't wearing a # until you stopped. Then I started thinking, why is this guy stopping during the race??!!
    My Website:
    Scott Mosher Photography

My Recent Shoots
    The Blog

swag ho Administrator

Congrats Coldawgg. You are the new fuhture.

Coldawg and I rode at Fremont Older last week and the guy is a pure racer. Blistering fast on the downhills, and all out anaerobic on the climbs. 17 years old on a first time 30 lb. singlespeed equals a bright future.

Good job all of you btw. I got in late last night from bike-friendly but not sunny Portland.

fc
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by francois

Coldawg and I rode at Fremont Older last week and the guy is a pure racer. Blistering fast on the downhills, and all out anaerobic on the climbs. 17 years old on a first time 30 lb. singlespeed equals a bright future.

Good job all of you btw. I got in late last night from bike-friendly but not sunny Portland.

fc
    yeah, he is a hammer head, and will be a great racer!

Just gotta work on his endurance a bit

I wimped out, and opted for a quick, early road ride in the AM. I'll be at #3, stuffed with poke and kalua pig to work off.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot
    I think I parked next to you at the race. Black GTi, brown Monocog29er with disc brakes, pink socks.

I had a pretty good, or bad race... depending on how you look at it. Good because I had fun and no crashes or major mechanicals (except for one flat), but I came in DFL in Singlespeed class. This was my first SS race.

After about the second lap, I hardly saw anybody. I had a flat the last lap with about 3 miles to go, but that only added about 4-5 minutes to my losses. I actually finished 15 minutes behind next to last place. I spun pretty well, but started to cramp up the third lap, so I babied my legs a bit and ran up the worst climbs.
    Hey pimpbot, yup I remember seeing you at the end. Glad you had a fun day! That's what counts most. Plus that gives you lots of room to improve during the season, so that's good :-)

Yup, sure was :-) I was hurtin coming across that line.. but not as badly as I had expected!

Quote Originally Posted by francois

fc
    Thanks francois! It was cool riding a couple loops with you last week, hopefully I'll see you out at the races!

Quote Originally Posted by grrrah
    yeah, he is a hammer head, and will be a great racer!

Just gotta work on his endurance a bit

I wimped out, and opted for a quick, early road ride in the AM. I'll be at #3, stuffed with poke and kalua pig to work off.
    Haha yes, I have to work on that, but for now it's looking like ~20 miles will be the distance to train for :-) I was looking for you out there yesterday, and now I know why I couldn't find you! See ya at #3

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast