Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
    I'm really diggin it!

Caught the Flow Trail Vandal - what do I do now?

I have tried to stay away from the negative after my first MTBR meltdown about the guys poaching and damaging a lot of the flow trail. Seems it was all well and good until this morning.

I brought a reporter from Marin Magazine with me to the flow trail build and while I was explaining to him how simply wonderful the mountain bike community has been about helping and respecting the trail closure someone starts riding down the trail and ripping out all of the caution tape.

Caught the Flow Trail Vandal - what do I do now?-picard-facepalm-hotlink.jpg

So I'm watching this dude and I recognize his kit. I let the whole thing slide because I'm guessing it wouldn't reflect too well on the MTB community if I brain someone with an 8 pound sledgehammer in front of a reporter for Marin Magazine. In fact I distract him from the whole thing and hope he didn't notice. "Oh look an owl!"

It took about four of us to put all of the signs and tape back up and we all walked around on the soft stuff creating even more work. We probably could have finished a few projects but we didn't because of one guy. Volunteers have been sparse and the little help we have has been wasted on the negative.

All of us don't get to ride the trail that much sooner because of this one guy. I'm more than a little upset and when I get home I wonder: "did that idiot Strava the whole episode?" YUP. He did. He vandalized the only flow trail project in the Bay Area and he uploaded it to Strava.

Caught the Flow Trail Vandal - what do I do now?-areyoukiddingmeblackss.png

I'm still kind of in shock someone would be so stupid. But I saw the kit and the kit matches the name on Strava and he is the Team Director of the kit he was wearing.

So what do I do now? You guys make the call.

mtbr member

Re: Caught the Flow Trail Vandal - what do I do now?

Pee on his leg, its the only logical choice.

rho
    Captain Pinchflat
    At the very least you could flag his ride on strava. It also sounds like the guy has an address you found from his team kit and so forth so you could send off a few nice letters to him and his teams sponsors explaining the situation....

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    what a weirdo, post his name up

mtbr member

Out him. Let society judge him for his crimes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

swag ho Administrator
    Contact him personally and give him the opportunity to respond/repair. If not, then the team. Then finally, here if necessary.

fc
    IPA will save America

YOUREGO ISNOT YOURAMIGO
    Out the Mo' FO'!!
    Let the people decide what to do with him. Court of peers.
    Once I find out who he is and who he rides for well lets just say...

Caught the Flow Trail Vandal - what do I do now?-crazy_little_man_001.jpeg

Caught the Flow Trail Vandal - what do I do now?-dsc00141.jpg

Farkin Idjiot.
    A pristine bike free of dirt, scratches, and wear marks makes me sort of sad

No Rep
    No Problem
    Banned For Boobies

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    name and shame

It's about showing up.
    It is just a few guys that give poachers a bad name.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Caught the Flow Trail Vandal - what do I do now?-firingsquad2.jpg  

I don't rattle.

mtbr member
    I hereby sentence this moron to 100 hours of trail work on the flow trail.

I'm really diggin it!

Team has been contacted, they have until Monday morning to come up with a suitable apology. Most suitable: a day of trail work Tuesday before I get back to flying airplanes.

The part that bothers me most about all this is that the teams mission involves being role models for young people and the teams behavior as a whole makes the mountain bike community look quite bad.

What I feel my options are:

Out him on the flow trail Facebook page: 1000 followers more than a few of them bike industry folks

Out him on MTBR

Inform the teams sponsors. One of the teams sponsors has donated money to the flow trail project.

Research the Tamaracho pass holder database. No pass? Press charges for trespassing and destruction of property.

Research the possibility for having the passes revoked for the entire team.

It's about showing up.
    Don't overdo this; it is easy to have this person represent all the other clowns you can't catch.

Do something direct with that person through the team. The collective culture there has the greatest power, certainly more than you. Use that force to bring the person out to do some trailwork, maybe 3 4-hour sessions.

If it is a kid, remember, they make mistakes. You may create a trail worker for life, and a friend.
    I don't rattle.

Pirate!!!
    All that fluffy reprimand stuff you are talking about sounds quite scary.. However, up here in the mountains we like to take things to a more personal level. I'm thinking you should hunt him down an string him up! Come on boys lets get em!

(This is supposed to be funny)

mtbr member
    Turn it into a positive. If it's a large team and you can educate him on the errors of his ways (rather than scolding him and making him defensive), you could get the whole team to volunteer and get the whole thing finished quicker than ever.
    我的镀铬光泽的冰柱一样,我骑在镇附近在我的低骑手自行车

I'm really diggin it!

Without giving it away the vandal is the MTB team rider director, according to the teams web page.

The Team had recently been contacted regarding a high participation on Strava at the flow trail and a zero participation in the form of trail work. I can't detail this yet as it would out the team.

I feel the intentional vandalism of a volunteer project was the response to a principal trail work volunteer contacting the team about participating.

I'm considering the incident (vandalism) the teams response, until I hear from the team.

dvo
    mtbr member
    Name and shame....why protect someone that has shown no regard for all your hard work?

swag ho Administrator
    Davey,

You need to step away from the computer. You are mad right now and all of us will just egg you on to just lynch these guys. (and rightfully so)

But it's always good to let things cool, let them respond properly, before going on the offensive and making life-long enemies. Only bad things can come out of this if you go on the attack.

fc
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    There's only one person who rode that trail on April 5th according to Strava.... Just sayin'
    my B+W landscape photos ....www.f45.com

mtbr member
    I think it was Gandhi who said, "Reached back like a pimp and slapped the Ho." I think.

I'm not sure outing him or fueling a payback is the best course of action...putting him on the defensive might lead to an escalation of bad Mojo and headaches for you. I'd take a Hostile Zen approach and make him feel like a doochebag through your calm demeanor and try to create a positive outcome. Ruining his name and dragging him through the mud is only going to create an enemy...sucks having enemies. Admittedly, would be fun to watch this play out, old west style.

Q: Do you think he reads these forums and has already been "outed"?
    Peanut butter Tuesday, if you know what I mean!

I'm really diggin it!

Quote Originally Posted by francois View Post
    Davey,

You need to step away from the computer. You are mad right now and all of us will just egg you on to just lynch these guys. (and rightfully so)

But it's always good to let things cool, let them respond properly, before going on the offensive and making life-long enemies. Only bad things can come out of this if you go on the attack.

fc
    Agreed. That is why I posted the thread. Thanks Francois. Let cooler heads prevail.

I'm really diggin it!

Quote Originally Posted by Katana View Post
    There's only one person who rode that trail on April 5th according to Strava.... Just sayin'
    The poach may have been deleted from Strava after I contacted the team. It was however screen captured and emailed to a lot of people including the team in question.

Give them until Sunday to respond. Don't go all vigilante on someone who may not be involved that guy may have been doing trail work

Until then these humorous videos perfectly summarize how I feel at the moment:

http://youtu.be/l1Imv4Jcnwg

http://youtu.be/2zUWXKThqHw

http://youtu.be/PztgWdMEJdg

mtbr member

Stan's and feather him on opening day

YOUREGO ISNOT YOURAMIGO
    Quote Originally Posted by francois View Post
    Davey,

fc
    BS.
    Out that Mo Fo.
    Total disregard for the project = Max punishment.
    You need to see what the team says then act accordingly.
    We all worked too hard for one D-Bag (and his Team) to ruin it for the rest of us.
    And Francis, lynchings not good enough for this guy, dragging him down the trail a few times before, would be a good prelude to a lynching I think.

Name:  13f9ed64b31d176c7916352715141c90.jpg
Views: 3051
Size:  19.6 KB
    A pristine bike free of dirt, scratches, and wear marks makes me sort of sad

No Rep
    No Problem
    Banned For Boobies

I'm really diggin it!

Quote Originally Posted by GoGoGordo View Post
    BS.
    Out that Mo Fo.
    Total disregard for the project = Max punishment.
    You need to see what the team says then act accordingly.
    We all worked too hard for one D-Bag (and his Team) to ruin it for the rest of us.
    And Francis, lynchings not good enough for this guy, dragging him down the trail a few times before, would be a good prelude to a lynching I think.

Name:  13f9ed64b31d176c7916352715141c90.jpg
Views: 3051
Size:  19.6 KB
    See Gordo spent a lot of his free time working hard with me and this is how he feels. I'd say this feeling escalates exponentially based on number of days at the trail...

Anyway I've got some trail work to lead. See you guys this afternoon.

mtbr member
    Whoa! Deleted his strava evidence! That doesn't seem like contrition. Thats downright evasion. Kind of disrespectful.

But here I am egging you on. Shame on me.
    "Chancho. When you are a man sometimes you wear stretchy pants... Its for fun..."

Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast