mtbr member

Car break-ins at the local trailheads.

Has anyone had their car broken into at the local trailheads?

My car just got broken into today at Calero Park parking lot. It is such a safe area too. Came back to my car to see this. Didn't get my bike because I was riding it, but stole a lot of stuff. Evil.

Car break-ins at the local trailheads.-img_20180710-25.jpg
    Car break-ins at the local trailheads.-img_20180710-25.1.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Car break-ins at the local trailheads.-img_20180710_204921978_ll.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    damn it!!

i've been lucky so far. but i keep ZERO in my truck.
    Santa Cruz 5010 C
    Surly Crosscheck.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Ive been broken into twice. Auburn confluence and Salmon Falls.
    Iíve seen car glass several times at confluence. Sometimes even mid-day Saturday.

Now I donít leave ANYTHING visible if I leave a car at the trailhead.
    AND I have signs I put in the car windows saying ďnothing of value left in this carĒ

No problems since then.

Also, Iíve now started seeing glass at some of the Tahoe trailheads. Sad to see it happening here too.

Bottom line. Take your wallet, keys and phone with you.
    Donít leave anything that looks interesting in your car.

fc
    head minion Administrator
    If possible, post time, date, exact located when it occurred.

It's happened to every trailhead around in the last 10 years so getting a sense of time will give us a better idea of the current hot spots.
    IPA will save America

Contains no juice.
    Quote Originally Posted by windsurf2xs View Post
    Ive been broken into twice. Auburn confluence and Salmon Falls.
    Iíve seen car glass several times at confluence. Sometimes even mid-day Saturday.

Now I donít leave ANYTHING visible if I leave a car at the trailhead.
    AND I have signs I put in the car windows saying ďnothing of value left in this carĒ

No problems since then.

Also, Iíve now started seeing glass at some of the Tahoe trailheads. Sad to see it happening here too.

Bottom line. Take your wallet, keys and phone with you.
    Donít leave anything that looks interesting in your car.
    I'll never forget the time we rode Salmon Falls, got back to the trailhead and the SUV was GONE. The driver had "hidden" the keys in the vehicle to "save weight" on the ride.

D'oh.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I've been lucky but figure my time will come one of these days. When I go out with sole purpose of riding I will take my ID, 1 debit card & small amount of cash which I put in my shorts or otherwise on my person. I try to leave nothing but a change of clothes in my car. Spots like Salmon Falls I'll try to take my old beat up pickup and leave doors unlocked. Most people would open the door, take a whiff and back away... stink as a theft deterrent. The only thing I would worry about losing would be the registration.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    I'll never forget the time we rode Salmon Falls, got back to the trailhead and the SUV was GONE.

D'oh.

Oh man that takes the cake, that must've been a shock. I've been partially lucky, wise or not I don't lock my car, I leave nothing of value, but peeps have got in there and rustled around, took nothing (one time ate a granola bar), but the saving grace is they didn't break window for that bar. I also have always had manual cars, I swear it in itself is an anti-theft device as I believe only 9-10% cars are stick. A friend of mine had someone take a dump on his front seat, what a treat!

Old,slow,still havin fun.
    Condolences.
    You simply cannot leave anything visible in your vehicle, junkies are everywhere.
    But even that does not work 100% of the time, I lost all my bike gear a few summers ago the one time I left my bag in the trunk overnight.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    If you do want to leave valuables in the car, these things are great: Console Vault¬ģ | Buy Direct For Lowest Price + Free Shipping

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by nilswalk View Post
    If you do want to leave valuables in the car
    Nope.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post

It's happened to every trailhead around in the last 10 years so getting a sense of time will give us a better idea of the current hot spots.
    I've not been broken into yet but I sure have noticed more glass at trail heads. I will make notes where I see this and update this thread.

MB

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    It happens all the time on Channel dr. @ Annadel, too. Beware any of you coming up this way. There are better places to park.
    One gear is all you need.

EAT MORE GRIME
    this is the main reason I park 5 or more miles away from any trailhead

and roll in (when time permits)...also the 5 mile warmup is nice to hit the trail with..

sucks on meaty tires but hey theft sucks worse
    "Put your seatbelt back on or get out and sit in the middle of that circle of death." - Johnny Scoot

mtbr member
    This has been going on since the beginning of time....and things are only going to get worse in this state with the legislation that has been passed the last 2-3 years. My advice is to NEVER leave anything in plain view when possible.
    2018 Intense Tracer
    2017 Intense Primer
    2016 Santa Cruz 5010

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Really, no trail head or parking lot is safe. These criminals hunt, use lookouts, walk by looking in windows, smash & grab. Sad state of affairs. Police can't stop 'em.

mtbr member
    The one reason I wish I still had my sedan with fully enclosed locking trunk rather than my new truck.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post

It happened at Calero Park parking lot on McKean Rd. Tuesday around 8-8:30pm. My car was parked right in the middle of the lot. Really surprised it happened there because I grew up in that area. It is very safe with a ton of traffic on McKean Rd. I see rangers passing constantly in front of the park. Ironically, when I got back to my car a ranger was there in the parking lot.

Contains no juice.
    Quote Originally Posted by yaser View Post
    *Quoted post deleted and user banned*
    Huh.

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    Huh.
    turned his chicklet for ya.
    One gear is all you need.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Didn't see that coming.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bayareamtnbiker View Post
    Really, no trail head or parking lot is safe. These criminals hunt, use lookouts, walk by looking in windows, smash & grab. Sad state of affairs. Police can't stop 'em.
    Yep. A medical condo I am associated with that used to be my dad's business has gotten broken into about 20 times the last 10 years. About 6 times in last couple years. It is very rare the criminal gets caught because they don't use much in time and resources to search for the criminals. Criminals seem to know that too.

mtbr member
    I blame this thread.

Car break-ins at the local trailheads.-img_5627.jpg

This morning at the Redwood Bowl staging parking lot for Redwood park... They looked through my gear bag which had a windbreaker and some old clothes in it and didn't take anything.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by somanygoodbikes View Post
    I blame this thread.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5627.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	151.4 KB 
ID:	1207789

This morning at the Redwood Bowl staging parking lot for Redwood park... They looked through my gear bag which had a windbreaker and some old clothes in it and didn't take anything.
    Sorry. Ouch, that sucks. Evil. At least they didn't take anything. In my robbery, they took stuff that will cost $3000.00 bucks to replace the stuff stolen from my car. However, it isn't worth as much on the open market and less than half that. A lot of the stuff criminals stole will be tough to pawn.

Everyone says you shouldn't leave stuff in your car, but I practically have to because I am using the stuff in my car virtually every day. It is almost like I live out of my car and my livelihood. I need an armored car or tank.
    Last edited by aliikane; 6 Days Ago at 07:20 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I believe most cars have alarms these days... So these thieves set off the car alarms when they break in? It doesn't deter them?

mtbr member
    I always leave the glove compartment and console open to try and convey the message to any peeping eyes that 'I know youre lookin, and I aint got nuttin'.

So far so good
    Velofix.com for mobile bike repair in Sac

Oaktown Honkey on Strava
    Sep 2010
    Just wipe everything down with Poison Oak leaves. That will teach them! Either that or borrow your ex wifes car, then leave it in front of a bus zone with the broken window. That will teach her! Seriously, this is kind of a good thread to have, to monitor hot spots.

mtbr member
    For anyone else around Oakland if you have similar misfortune, I was able to get a new window from LE Glass in an hour! Fortunately the window that was broken was super easy to replace with just a screwdriver and a 10mm wrench so I did it myself and didn't have to pay for or wait for labor. Only out $80 for the whole drama. Could have been a lot worse.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by aliikane View Post
    Everyone says you shouldn't leave stuff in your car, but I practically have to because I am using the stuff in my car virtually every day. It is almost like I live out of my car and my livelihood. I need an armored car or tank.
    If you have an SUV, then a locked toolbox/safe installed in the cargo area will keep you protected. Most of my buddies who have work vehicles and expensive sensor equipment and electronics have one installed. glass is quick and easy to repair (relatively), but the equipment with data on it is real expensive because of materials + time to regather the data.

If you have a car, then put it all in the trunk. If you have a truck, then a toolbox in the bed. If the thief is truly motivated, you are just ****ed and can chalk it up to life being a bitch.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Californiagrown View Post
    If you have an SUV, then a locked toolbox/safe installed in the cargo area will keep you protected. Most of my buddies who have work vehicles and expensive sensor equipment and electronics have one installed. glass is quick and easy to repair (relatively), but the equipment with data on it is real expensive because of materials + time to regather the data.

If you have a car, then put it all in the trunk. If you have a truck, then a toolbox in the bed. If the thief is truly motivated, you are just ****ed and can chalk it up to life being a bitch.

I'd like to boobie trap the car. That would be the best. Like the "The Blank Box". Even better gun shot sounding or explosive sounding car alarms. Haha.

mtbr member
    I'd like to boobie trap the car. That would be the best. Like the "The Blank Box". Even better gun shot sounding or explosive sounding car alarms. Haha.
    Iím gonna give you to the count of 10 to get your ugly, yellow, no-good keister off my property before I pump your guts full of lead.

One. Two. Ten!

mtbr member
    Unfortunately boobie or man traps are Hella illegal

Contains no juice.
    Speaking of booby traps, did you see where Stormy Daniels was busted (ha!) for letting a customer touch her?

Talk about your booby traps!

Elitest thrill junkie
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Finch Platte again.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Spindelatron View Post

The Blank Box is not illegal and kind of a boobie trap or maybe more like a crime prank. All it does it make noise to scare the crap out of criminals. The guy is selling them.
    Last edited by aliikane; 5 Days Ago at 12:03 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dopaminer_09 View Post
    I believe most cars have alarms these days... So these thieves set off the car alarms when they break in? It doesn't deter them?
    Itís amazing to see how fast these auto burglars are. Theyíll be in and out in 10-15 seconds most of the time. The pros just grab bags, and check super obvious places, then sort and ditch later. The skilled and practiced thieves can easily hit 30-40 cars in a days ďwork.Ē

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "So you think it's the hat?... A lot of people hate this hat. It angers a lot of people, just the sight of it." - Uncle Buck

Rhymes with fartmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Spindelatron View Post
    So is crime and general break-ins; who will side with who when a serial burglar is brought to face the permanent sting of vigilante justice? Gas grenades and/or electrocution traps for the win; (another semicolon; love them I do) just shove the body out into some brush and be on your way knowing that one less assmaster is on the loose wreaking havoc upon society.
    one by nine works just fine but single speed is all ya need

Rider, Builder, Dreamer
    My friend just had his car busted into today (Friday July 13) in Auburn. For this story we'll call him Buddy.

Buddy was parked at Russell Road at top of Stagecoach in Auburn. Mid-morning. Saw two tweaker looking people who made themselves scarce when Buddy pulled up, and another dude who we will call Dude.

Dude walked up being friendly, small talk, etc. Looked reputable, decent clothes, etc. Asked if Buddy was just heading out for a ride or wrapping up. Buddy said he's just getting ready to start. More small talk. Dude walks down Russell Road as if going home; Buddy thought it was a local just heading home.

Buddy takes his time getting ready for ride, cruises down Russell Road to hit Manzanita, and notices Dude still standing on the side of the road. Buddy doesn't think much of it and continues his ride.

Buddy completes ride, goes home, amd gets frantic call from wife. "Do you have your wallet?" Buddy does. "We'll check!" Buddy checks. Asks wife WTF? Then notices credit cards gone from wallet. Someone had used a bump key to get into Buddy's car. Just emptied wallet of plastic, but left license, etc. Crook put wallet back in it's hidey place when he was done, then had a shopping spree at Target. Not sure if Dude was a friendly local, or working alone, or working with tweakers, or if tweakers working.....who knows?

Russell Road is not safe.

I've gotten the collywobbles in Auburn a couple times for no particular reason. It's one of the reasons I've been skipping it lately and either doing Folsom or finding an excuse time hit South Lake.

When going to Folsom I have a bike shop I'm friends with and can stash my keys and wallet with them. That's huge. I'm South Lake I leave nothing in the vehicle except spare food, fresh socks and stinky Crocs.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
    Go ride your bike.

Moderator Moderator
    The worst thing you can do is leave food in your car in Yosemite.

Car break-ins at the local trailheads.-truck_bear-trapped-inside-4.jpg

Contains no juice.
    Quote Originally Posted by 5k bike 50cent legs View Post

Name:	truck_bear-trapped-inside-4.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	147.4 KB 
ID:	1208058
    Huh. That looks like my car on a normal day.

mtbr member
    Ive been lucky but i never leave things visible. Only incident for me was at Salmon Falls free parking before bridge, 2009ish. Several car windows were blown out including a friends where all they got was his gym bag. They tried breaking my Tundra left rear window but unsuccessful. I hope that whatever they hit it with bounced back into their face. Ive heard of other incidents here as well. But its anywhere. You really just gotta hide shit and take valuables with you or leave at home.

Contains no juice.
    For anyone else around Oakland if you have similar misfortune, I was able to get a new window from LE Glass in an hour! Fortunately the window that was broken was super easy to replace with just a screwdriver and a 10mm wrench so I did it myself and didn't have to pay for or wait for labor. Only out $80 for the whole drama. Could have been a lot worse.
    I went to high school with a girl named Ellie Glass.

Oaktown Honkey on Strava
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by sambs827 View Post
    My friend just had his car busted into today (Friday July 13) in Auburn. For this story we'll call him Buddy.

Buddy was parked at Russell Road at top of Stagecoach in Auburn. Mid-morning. Saw two tweaker looking people who made themselves scarce when Buddy pulled up, and another dude who we will call Dude.

Dude walked up being friendly, small talk, etc. Looked reputable, decent clothes, etc. Asked if Buddy was just heading out for a ride or wrapping up. Buddy said he's just getting ready to start. More small talk. Dude walks down Russell Road as if going home; Buddy thought it was a local just heading home.

Buddy takes his time getting ready for ride, cruises down Russell Road to hit Manzanita, and notices Dude still standing on the side of the road. Buddy doesn't think much of it and continues his ride.

Buddy completes ride, goes home, amd gets frantic call from wife. "Do you have your wallet?" Buddy does. "We'll check!" Buddy checks. Asks wife WTF? Then notices credit cards gone from wallet. Someone had used a bump key to get into Buddy's car. Just emptied wallet of plastic, but left license, etc. Crook put wallet back in it's hidey place when he was done, then had a shopping spree at Target. Not sure if Dude was a friendly local, or working alone, or working with tweakers, or if tweakers working.....who knows?

I've gotten the collywobbles in Auburn a couple times for no particular reason. It's one of the reasons I've been skipping it lately and either doing Folsom or finding an excuse time hit South Lake.

When going to Folsom I have a bike shop I'm friends with and can stash my keys and wallet with them. That's huge. I'm South Lake I leave nothing in the vehicle except spare food, fresh socks and stinky Crocs.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
    If he keeps his registration in his car, theives probably took pic that info, and they know when he is gone riding (mid day on Fridays). Could have gotten code off of his garage door opener too, to use at address on registration. I vote to cut theives hands off, however I am in the minority.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    The new mindset and the lack of enforcement and consequences surrounding property crime is going to eventually lead to crisis levels. It is effecting all of us economically in one way or another and especially infuriating when it happens to you personally.

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Quote Originally Posted by 5k bike 50cent legs View Post

Name:	truck_bear-trapped-inside-4.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	147.4 KB 
ID:	1208058
    Holy #$@&!!
    Is that your truck? Bears are amazing creatures, especially their nose.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    Holy #$@&!!
    Is that your truck? Bears are amazing creatures, especially their nose.
    No, that's an interweb screen grab. Glad it's not my truck!

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Has anyone had their car broken into at the local trailheads?

My car just got broken into today at Calero Park parking lot. It is such a safe area too. Came back to my car to see this. Didn't get my bike because I was riding it, but stole a lot of stuff. Evil.

Name:	IMG_20180710 25.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	74.4 KB 
ID:	1207608

Name:	IMG_20180710 25.1.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	68.3 KB 
ID:	1207609
    That's terrible. I went once to Calero in the evening and it was pretty quiet. There was a runner and a couple that was just there for the sunset. Lots of deer around the trail, so kinda got me spooked after the mountain lion attack recently.

Great place for late aft/evening ride - but looks like you were there late as well? I think I'll stick to going there during the day from now on.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dchester View Post
    Ive been lucky but i never leave things visible. Only incident for me was at Salmon Falls free parking before bridge, 2009ish. Several car windows were blown out including a friends where all they got was his gym bag. They tried breaking my Tundra left rear window but unsuccessful. I hope that whatever they hit it with bounced back into their face. Ive heard of other incidents here as well. But its anywhere. You really just gotta hide shit and take valuables with you or leave at home.
    None of the stuff was visible and was covered. Also, my windows are tinted so it is very difficult to really see anything. The only thing that may of been visible was my empty Under Armour duffle bag that I use to carry my mtb gear around. I have had quite a few car break-ins over the years, but this one was the worst one for sure because insurance was only able to cover the window. There is really no good coverage for personal items stolen unless you have renter's insurance because deductibles are low.

mtbr member

What a weird coincidence. I was referred to and used LE auto glass as well, but in SJ. Strange. Did you know that?

mtbr member
    Car break-ins at the local trailheads.-spidermen.jpg

Air Pirate

Name:	spidermen.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	45.2 KB 
ID:	1208366
    Supaidaman will save us!
    "You're messing with my zen thing, man!"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bokchoicowboy View Post
    Car break-ins at the local trailheads.-dsc02093.jpg

I spotted Supaidaman in Kobe, Japan. He seems to be doing a good job in Japan because there is virtually no crime in Japan. Car break-ins are very rare.
    Last edited by aliikane; 1 Day Ago at 09:02 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sambs827 View Post

I've gotten the collywobbles in Auburn a couple times for no particular reason...

Shih-Tay! Thats my go to spot! Ive never seen glass in the parking lot either, and even during the week it gets a lot of traffic between trail users and local folk driving past.
    Velofix.com for mobile bike repair in Sac