mtbr member

Can you rationalize a long travel 29er for the Bay Area?

I've been eyeing some of the long travel 29ers, e.g. Yeti SB5.5 and Evil Wreckoning, and they look sooooo sweet. I'd love to get one, but my trail bike (Ibis Mojo3) can handle everywhere I ride no problem. I'm in the south bay and favorite spots are Demo, Skeggs, Wilder. I can't really make the argument that I need more bike for these places.

Who's riding such a 29er in the bay area and liking it? Where do you find it appropriately matched to the trails? My parents are moving to Roseville in a few months, so I was hoping Auburn, Downieville, Tahoe, etc. . . might help me justify picking up one of these bikes.

Ride Fast Take Chances :)
    Bikes are about riding style and terrain as much as fitting in. Most guys I ride with are on enduro bikes. That goes for 27.5 and 29er. ie the Wreckoning, hightower, nomads.... I just upgraded to a tallboy 3 with 29x2.6 tires and have no problems keeping up. The hightower looks cool but I don't need it short of lift runs and those are only a couple times a year. 29er yes. enduro bike...thats up to you if its worth lugging around.

mtbr member
    I know guys who crush the same chunky downhill on hardtails that other guys ride on 160 bikes. Personally I think it's more about the feel you like than what you need. You can ride almost anything anywhere with a different approach

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk
    Marin County, CA

NRP
    mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    If you want it and can afford it, get it.

Lightly salted
    Which ever bike puts the biggest smile on your face is the right choice for you!

fc
    stoked Administrator

That's what i ride these day. Wreckoning and Slash. If they pedal good and you can keep the weight close to 30 lbs then they can work. You will be seeking more and more challenging terrain though.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    some people move from less travel to more travel and thinks in an upgrade.
    some people move from more travel to less travel and thinks in an upgrade.

XC racers mostly move down to less sus and even hardtails once they ride and race more.

Objectively, less travel is faster on XC trails. mandatory disclaimer: rider skill, not the bike. Although fun > speed imo.

be aware of buyer's bias, who wants to admit their new $5k rig is slower than their old hardtail. you really don't wanna know at that point because that cow has already been bought.

I ride a demo, waterdog, san joaquin, tamarancho, santa theresa regularly. For me hardtail is what i like riding. When i do lift riding, i rent a downhill bike.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Keep your Ibis. Buy me the Evil. I'll send you pics. Win-win.

fc
    stoked Administrator
    Here you go... trail bike of the gods.

28.6 lbs with the Rockshox rear shock. 1 lb. heavier with that Push monster.

Evil Wreckoning, 160mm travel 29er.

Can you rationalize a long travel 29er for the Bay Area?-dsc_3466.jpg
    IPA will save America

Trail Gnome Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_3466.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	134.2 KB 
ID:	1132656
    How's that school bus handle, or are you on the short bus?
    I stole the short bus comment from you...

mtbr member
    Mar 2016

Have you ridden the elevensix long enough to have provide meaningful feedback on it vs a stock fox/monarch?

fc
    stoked Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by griz View Post
    How's that school bus handle, or are you on the short bus?
    I stole the short bus comment from you...
    I used to be the whipping boy of group shreds. Now I just tell em to get the hellz out of the way.

It's really good. Doesn't give up anything on climbs too.

fc
    IPA will save America

fc
    stoked Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Jukas View Post
    Have you ridden the elevensix long enough to have provide meaningful feedback on it vs a stock fox/monarch?
    Yes, I'll explain a little bit with limited time.

My summary is it's worth the $1200 and 850 gram weight! The platform is that THAT good. There is no stiction and it's very supple. Then at the sag level, it's really well supported. I'm using this Wreck like a pump track bike and shock barely moves on the pump sections and pedaling. It's like the Monarch and the new Fox's but more supple and more support.

It's got pop and liveliness too on the jumps. The old Elevensix would squash everything so the trail flattens out and it's not as playful. This new one with the black body is more lively.

Now here's where it pays the bills and becomes worth it. When you case it, make a mistake and just crush the landing, It will squash the impact and save you.

In the end, where it really pays off is adjustability. There are two gates that are completely configurable in terms of compression damping. A handy lever is there to switch between the two. Problem is for most folks, these are two many adjustments and they may not touch them. So this pays off more for the meticulous tuner.

fc
    IPA will save America

mtbr member

Hot damn! That's a sexy beast of a bike. One of my main reasons for wanting another bike is to hang some non-fox, non-RS suspension bits on it. I'm really curious about the elevensix and MRP ribbon. How are you getting along with that Ohlins fork?

Thanks for the replies, everyone! Lots of good points for me to think about. To clarify, I'm not gonna get rid of the Mojo3 (I love that bike and think it's perfect for my local spots).

I'm planning on buying near the end of the year (reward for a milestone at work), and debating an enduro bike vs the opposite end of the spectrum: a gravel bike. The gravel bike makes more sense, but I just can't get as stoked about it compared to a new MTB. Guess I need to ride some of the trails a bit further away and decide if a bigger bike would enhance the ride.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Yes, I'll explain a little bit with limited time.

My summary is it's worth the $1200 and 850 gram weight! The platform is that THAT good. There is no stiction and it's very supple. Then at the sag level, it's really well supported. I'm using this Wreck like a pump track bike and shock barely moves on the pump sections and pedaling. It's like the Monarch and the new Fox's but more supple and more support.

It's got pop and liveliness too on the jumps. The old Elevensix would squash everything so the trail flattens out and it's not as playful. This new one with the black body is more lively.

Now here's where it pays the bills and becomes worth it. When you case it, make a mistake and just crush the landing, It will squash the impact and save you.

In the end, where it really pays off is adjustability. There are two gates that are completely configurable in terms of compression damping. A handy lever is there to switch between the two. Problem is for most folks, these are two many adjustments and they may not touch them. So this pays off more for the meticulous tuner.

fc
    I actually have the black body elevensix on my Bronson, so I was curious what your experience with it was. I have no idea how much travel I use on mine, but I know I've never bottomed it out.

I have noticed with the elevensix that I can't preload it as much as I did my float x for pop offs/jumps or I'm likely to kick the rear up too much and have a bad time. I only have a couple hundred miles on it, and it's my first coil so I'm not sure how much of that is the nature of the coil, vs if I still need to make tuning adjustments to the rebound (I've already slowed it down a bit).

Traction wise, it's so good that combined with it's bottomless feel has me really wondering if I need a 6" bike, or if I should move it to a more playfull trail orientated bike like a 5010.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I'm wondering the same thing. Have an HD3 and a Tranny 29er singlespeed. The HD3 is built a little heavy. I've been thinking about getting a less burly bike like a Ripley, but then also start eyeing the SB5.5, which can be sub-30lbs and pedals very well.

I think your Mojo is probably a perfect Bay Area bike. I'm going to demo an SB5c and a 5.5c and see if I like either more than my HD3 for Demo/Skeggs.

Edit: to add, after adding heavier tires to my HD3, I finally got the idea behind "too much bike". Mainly, it is actually boring to ride in less technical trails like Saratoga Gap/Long Ridge. It's mores sluggish in general, and erases the trail. I prefer my Tranny SS on those trails.

The HD3 as is would be great for Demo, where you need to work less to maintain speed on most trails, and climbing isn't quite as mixed in. So, I started thinking about the perfect quiver being heavier HD3 + Ripley + Tranny SS, but the wife said 3 bikes = separation (lol). So, I'm getting lighter tires for the HD3 and seeing how that goes. If I still want less travel, I might either getting a Ripley, or an SB5, or maybe an SB5.5.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I personally like to compensate for my lack of skills with a bigger bike. I went from a Mojo HDR to a Nomad, and it suits me much better (riding same trails as the OP, minus Wilder). I was able to go from a large to a medium with the same reach and lower standover.

Honestly, besides the SC being a better fit size-wise, what I really noticed and enjoy is the slacker head angle for riding steeper chunkier terrain, coupled with longer travel meaning I don't bottom out harshly on every single jump. I personally now have no desire to ride anything with more than 66 head angle.

PokeyOne
    Feb 2009
    On point:
    For a Bay Area bike, it's really hard to justify a 29er monstertruck. There are a very limited few spots where it would shine, but a 140mm travel (+\- a little) with some decent suspension with a good rider specific tune, and mayby some of the new mid-fat 2.6 tires, absolutely slays it in the Bay Area. And rides the Regions destination spots pretty well too.
    I know it ain't too sexy, but a plain ol' 2017 Stumpjumper is really tough to beat for the money.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ForbiddenBeat View Post
    I'm wondering the same thing. Have an HD3 and a Tranny 29er singlespeed. The HD3 is built a little heavy. I've been thinking about getting a less burly bike like a Ripley, but then also start eyeing the SB5.5, which can be sub-30lbs and pedals very well.
    I would think you can build the HD3 sub 30 lbs no problem. And it pedals so well. I demoed and didn't buy one because I felt under biked (and fit was small). Goes to show the perfect bike for the bay area or anywhere else for that matter is all in the eye of the beholder.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk
    Marin County, CA

mtbr member
    ......so, when is having more than 1 bike a bad thing?

mtbr member
    My Hightower even feels like overkill a lot of the time, but it's damn fun. That being said, I'm hoping to buy a hardtail in the next 6 months to round out the stable.
    East Bay Parks AKA East Bay Cattle Ranches

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    I didn't read the post, but I read the title of the post and the answer is yes. You can always rationalize another bike. The answer is always yes.

Trail Gnome Moderator
    I can't...that wheelbase is too much for the majority of my local trails. Now if I was riding Tahoe or Downieville every week...I might think about it