Sweat is just fat crying.

Camping spree at Hogan this weekend (Feb. 9-10)

Got the camping jones? I was riding with Gene Gene the Beer Machine last weekend and he said his wife mentioned she wanted to go camp at Hogan. This could actually mean something else, but I'm gonna go with pitching a tent, drinking a shload of beer, playing with fire and riding bikes for a couple of days in a row.

I may go up Friday sometime & do a little trail work, then ride Sat & Sun. Camping at Hogan is cheap ($14 in winter), and there aren't that many people out there this time of year. Yes, it may get a little chilly. Bring a dog or two to keep you warm in the tent. Or a lady friend.

PM me for more info. Or go here: Campground Details - ACORN CAMP EAST, CA - ReserveAmerica - [nrso]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Camping spree at Hogan this weekend (Feb. 9-10)-gene-donald-trail-1500.jpg  

Mountain Biking Is Not A Crime stickers, free! (You pay postage. PM me for details.)

mtbr member
    I will try to be there. Might go skiing but it is a three day weekend so I should get at least a day in. I thought it would be cool to build a beginner trail here with a picnic bench for after ride refreshments. A bit away from the parking lot but one of the few areas with trees. I wonder what the powers that be would say.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Camping spree at Hogan this weekend (Feb. 9-10)-begtr.jpg  

sbd
    mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Sounds fun. I would love to see a cool short loop somewhere so I could take my 10 year old and get her hooked without killing her!

Ok, a little runky trail like this would be awesome! I'm sure it would get bucketloads of use.

Edit: I've contacted ranger Alicia Unsinn about this & told her we'd be up there this weekend. Maybe we'll get her blessing, but official ok of the trail might take a few years.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Stinky View Post
    I thought it would be cool to build a beginner trail here with a picnic bench for after ride refreshments. A bit away from the parking lot but one of the few areas with trees. I wonder what the powers that be would say.
    Last edited by Finch Platte; 02-05-2013 at 08:31 AM.
    Mountain Biking Is Not A Crime stickers, free! (You pay postage. PM me for details.)

Trying a post where a pic isn't a thumbnail.

Gahhhhh! How do I NOT make this a thumbnail????
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Camping spree at Hogan this weekend (Feb. 9-10)-16-gene-way-out.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    Ok, a little runky trail like this would be awesome! I'm sure it would get bucketloads of use.

Edit: I've contacted ranger Alicia Unsinn about this & told her we'd be up there this weekend. Maybe we'll get her blessing, but official ok of the trail might take a few years.
    Too bad it might take "a few years" . Tens if not hundreds of miles of cow trails and dirt roads on all the land around the lake. What is the big deal about a tiny easy trail that a good work crew could build in a weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Stinky View Post
    Too bad it might take "a few years" . Tens if not hundreds of miles of cow trails and dirt roads on all the land around the lake. What is the big deal about a tiny easy trail that a good work crew could build in a weekend.
    Just heard from the head ranger about signage & your idea for a beginner trail.

Gary,

We welcome your assistance in marking the existing trail, we can provide you with Carsonite markers to facilitate this. As a federal park, we have specific sign standards we must follow. I look forward to discussing these with you.

In regards to the proposed new trail installation near Coyote Point, the current trail locations are designated in the Master Plan whereas the area near Coyote Point is designated non-development.

I hope to see you Sunday before you leave the lake and I return from my weekend.

Thanks,

John Chapman
    Park Ranger
    US Army Corps of Engineers

mtbr member
    "The Man" always takes the fun out of things.Just got back from a two hour ride. Rode up Shell Hill and a few of the other climbs. Another perfect day.