mtbr member

Camping at Sea Otter

It will be my first time at Sea Otter this year and Im thinking about camping Sat night. Is it best to rent a camp site at the event, or are there campsites near by that is a little cheaper?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    All the good sites are more than likely booked which means you will be camping at H or I which is where all the parties happen (bring ear plugs). There really isn't any camping around, especially on such late notice. Most people who camp at the better spots at Sea Otter reserve months, or even the year before. I suggest camp at H or I so you are at the venue and next year, jump on it early.

fc
    stoked Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by jmallory View Post
    All the good sites are more than likely booked which means you will be camping at H or I which is where all the parties happen (bring ear plugs). There really isn't any camping around, especially on such late notice. Most people who camp at the better spots at Sea Otter reserve months, or even the year before. I suggest camp at H or I so you are at the venue and next year, jump on it early.
    Listen to jmallory. Excellent advice!!

Welcome to Sea Otter. It's gonna be huge.

With the decline of Interbike, bike companies are focusing more on events like this.

fc
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Screw that, Motel 6 in Marina, easy bike ride to the venue, on dirt mostly, usually only $100 bucks, plus SOC usually has a three night minimum on camping. And the hotel was just remodeled a couple years ago, all rooms are non smoking, and nice inside.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Silent_G View Post
    Screw that, Motel 6 in Marina, easy bike ride to the venue, on dirt mostly, usually only $100 bucks, plus SOC usually has a three night minimum on camping. And the hotel was just remodeled a couple years ago, all rooms are non smoking, and nice inside.
    All true. Plus that motel 6 is close to the beach, and easy access to the freeway. Salinas is the other option, but I wouldn't recommend any hotels in Salinas that are in close proximity due to the serious crime issues that town has. Monterey is ok, too. But most hotels that are barely affordable ($100/night range) are generally booked. If money is no obstacle, stay down on cannery row for $300+ a night.

Last year I decided I wasn't going to Sea Otter, then decided at the last minute to go, and ended up way out in nosebleed and it was a nightmare. Upon arrival, we checked in only to find out our spot was directly across from 25 portapotties, and up on the ridge where the wind was blasting. The ground wasn't even... I went back to grovel with the lady at the check in, and she was nice enough to give us a different spot. We settled with a spot (we had tents) and were stuck in between massive RV's with generators running non stop and didn't sleep the night before our races. Camping at Sea Otter is a joke. I will say that if one was to get in on the "early camping" which is open for 1 day in June, that's the best bet. Sea Otter isn't that sleepy little race it used to be back in '91 anymore.

Either way- Book it asap.

mtbr member
    This is great advice. Thanks everyone! I'm stoked.

Hella Olde
    Quote Originally Posted by PressureCooker View Post
    This is great advice. Thanks everyone! I'm stoked.

Have fun!!! I've slept onsite in many forms, from sneaking in and commando camping, Sleeping in a car on Wolf Hill, gravel pillow-n-RV generators, Overflow in 6-foot weeds, and Grand-Prix level relative opulence. Glad I have a house to stay at over the hill in CV this year. Gonna Enduro for the first time after 15 years of only racing the "DH" hahahaha. I did one XC race f in about '98 and Chris King installed the Rasta headset I bought from him by light the headlights on his pickup truck. It still works.
    Gonna have a swill time.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Thinking about going for the first time this year. What are some of the must see-must do activities there??

YOUREGO ISNOT YOURAMIGO
    Quote Originally Posted by Silent_G View Post
    Scott, what's the route to SO from the motel 6?
    Banned for showing Boobies.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BSen13 View Post
    Thinking about going for the first time this year. What are some of the must see-must do activities there??
    Dual Slalom on Saturday afternoon is always a raucous good time

aka: Bucky Fikes
    Curious about buying the $20 (or whatever it is this year) Festival Pass. I usually just blast up early for the day, take in the expo and maybe what ever event is going on that day, then bail out late in the day for home. I have always gone through the motions of buying the pass but also have never seen any part of the venue or Expo where it's a requirement to get in. Anybody have the skinny on that? Is it required in the Expo? If not, what aspect is it a benefit to have or is it just sort of honor system means of supporting the Classic? Other than offering it, nothing is discussed on their website about it.
    Always ride with a purpose.