mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Cameras on Marin County Singletracks!

Saw a camera at the mouth of Nail Trail off Oat Hill fire road (Pine Mountain/Mt Tam).
    It looked like the type of camera that they use for sendign tickets to people who run stoplights.
    Anyone else see it? Any other trails in the area have similar cameras?
    Wonder what they are doing? Building history of illegal trail riding?
    I don't see how they could ticket you unless the motion sensor alerted them and they waited at the bottom?

YESBRO!!!
    This does not matter because NOBODY ON THIS FORUM RIDES ILLEGAL TRAILS.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Nail

Oh, I know. I was up there hiking the trail myself.
    Just warning the ones that might take a wrong turn once in a while.

aka baycat
    Camo cameras, the ones I have seen, have been out there for some time. Tracking "illegal immigrants" crossing the border or something.

Unless the camera has facial recognition software and ties into a database, then don't worry about getting a ticket in the mail

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Pretty far north of the border?! But maybe to catch someone tending their crops?

Dark Horse Racing
    Wild Justice!!!!

WWYD?
    I saw one of those cameras at the top of Repack in June. Probably doing foot/bike traffic survey. Ticked me off a little, so I put my powerbar wrapper over the lens.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    "They" also have been known to use stationary/motion sensitive cameras to monitor wild life all over the MMWD lands and mount tam. Monitoring human activities may not be the primary objective rather a happenstance

mtbr member
    MMWD is definitely monitoring wildlife. They are also pretty serious about curtailing poaching & trail building. Sheriffs deputies are on patrol. There were signs up in past years warning that certain areas were under surveillance -major pot farms on public & MMWD lands have been raided each year. The growers are armed.
    BTW- at an MMWD "open house" a couple years back the MMWD spokesman replied to a query (from a cycling foe -I heard it) that the ratio of illegal trails on MMWD were 80% hiker authored, VS 20% attributed to cyclists. Either way, building trails (or altering existing trails) on MMWD, or other Marin public land would be extremely unwise.
    I like to bike.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Ranger McDuggleloug likes to hang out at the bottom of Nail. Be advised!

Like a boss.
    I can't speak for MMWD, but I know that MCOSD has put cameras out to monitor mountain lion movement. They're trying to identify travel corridors for the cats (for more info about how these data are used, check out Santa Cruz Pumas). Mountain lions are just like us; they prefer easier travel routes through the forest/brush - either on trails, along ridgelines, or within stream corridors. It's easier to mount a camera near a trail/fire road than a ridgeline or stream corridor, so that's where the cameras go.

I'd wager this is what MMWD is doing, too. They already know people ride trails illegally; they don't need cameras to prove it. Besides, Strava provides MUCH more useful data than a camera ever could.
    Quote Originally Posted by jbt56
    Are you a whiny Marin liberal, or a hand-wringing Berkeley liberal?

mtbr member
    There were reports of a bear in MMWD property. I can't wait for the black bear's return to Marin. Yogi raiding garbage cans is going to be fun to read about.