Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Calories in, Calories Out - STCP Newbie Ride

7K views 99 replies 21 participants last post by  Leopold Porkstacker 
#1 ·
Back by popular (?) demand: it's the STCP Newbie Ride!

VERY chill pace for those wanting to explore the park a little. Nothing too drastic, but we will hit the lighter trails of STCP. Including Fortini, Mine Trail, Pueblo, Bernal Loop, Ohlone, Stile Ranch (Dark Side).

If the group feels up to it, we can try to tackle Coyote Peak climb, but it's a bit of a grinder, and we'll have to look at the fitness levels of all. LOTS of stops, reviewing of lines (if people are curious), braking points, shifting points, etc.

I'm going to avoid RR on this ride.

Again, I would like as many new riders to come. The loop will only be about 1,000 of elevation gain, and we will have plenty of breaks for people to catch their breath.

I'd like a large group, so let's figure out a day to make this happen with the best turn-out.

#48 ·
A bit wet out my door this morning, at the Harry & Camden entrance.

The mud/clay could be bad right now. Chancy. Hot line says the park is open at 9AM. But that's law of man, not the laws of mud physics.

I'll see if the sun comes out later today and it drys up a bit.

Was there ever a start time? Or just catch as can?

#65 ·
I looped around online trail and hidden springs. No sign. Visibility is only 100 yards. See tire tracks from velociraptor rear, minion DHF, and small block 8 or renegade. Having fun solo though.

Sent from my HTC Titan II Winows Phone using Board Express
Well, you seem decent at tracking tire marks...
However I'm not sure those be the tires the dion/roberto crew runs.

In another time, with another group... the following happened. Names have been removed to protect the innocent.
... The TWATWAFFLE ( Those Who Attempt The Wobbling And Fast Furious Lunar Escapades ) group went... THIS WAY!! IF WE BYPASS them up Ohlone and Joice, then we can head them off at the VISTA LOOP... Or the PASS. IF you're into that sort of thing.

ONWARD!

#62 ·
Hey y'all... sorry we missed you. I was looking out for other riders, but quite honestly I didn't see much out there. Visibility was impossible. Every rider we did see, I slowed down in case they'd recognize my bike . Sorry... I hope your still enjoying it. It is beautiful and foggy out there. Gorgeous day to ride!

Nelson34 and SouthBayBomber showed at 10AM. We waited for about 20min., but then realized it was just going to be us. Here are the pics!

Tire Bicycle wheel Wheel Bicycle frame Bicycle

Plant community Forest Helmet Trail Mountain biking

Natural environment Atmosphere Atmospheric phenomenon Mist Haze

Atmospheric phenomenon Bicycle wheel Mist Haze Bicycle

Bicycle wheel Bicycle frame Bicycle Trail Soil

I cranked out on "Newton's Folly" and got a PR. :D

Created a new Strava Segment called "Two Hills". Go at it boys and girls.

Nice meeting you, Rich. Robert... Stay away from my nalgas.

#64 ·
Looks like a great time! :thumbsup: Fog looks enchanting. I'm stuck at home... :madman: When's the next social-pace ride? Doubt that group of 3 was very exciting (but better than solo or even not riding, for sure!).
Next time, name it something other than "newbie ride" so you don't scare off the "experienced" riders.

One more thing, what was the ride time start to finish? Strava only tells me "moving time". Or did you really ride 18 miles in 2 hrs including breaks?! :eek: I'm in worse shape than I thought. :madmax:

#67 ·
There were a lot of breaks. So elapsed time was like 3:35. 2 hrs. is just moving time.

The experienced riders will come. Leopold, TJ, Marco... every once in awhile P-Marsh, Bogdan, Bassn (and his brother, Craig), a couple guys named John and a few Mike's... we all ride together, even if it's a slower pace. Team Social Pace, man... that's what we are! That's when I turn into a mid-packer, at best.

https://www.facebook.com/TeamSocialPace

We were missing The Brett (Leopold Porkstacker) - or the "Porkstacker Factor".

#74 ·
Yeah, sorry I missed you guys. For some reason I was thinking the meeting place was on Mines trail parking, but then realized that you were meeting all the way on the Mines trail side. Stll had a good ride.

Saw a rider on a black/white camber. he said he saw you going up Stiles. I thought this was a newbie ride.

Anyway, I came up Joice to norred to Mine to Hidden springs. Then counter-clockwise around Ridge, Ohlone trail and back up Hidden springs. Then down Stiles and back up Fortini up mine and out to Bernal HIll loop and back home. Strangely the ST side was much wetter than the Almaden side. Going down Ridge was pretty slick and my tires got packed up. But bombing down Stiles cleaned them out nicely.

Kinda strange I can hardly bend over to tie my shoes, but I can still do anything on the MTB with just mild discomfort. I guess adrenaline and endorphins are my friends.

Thanks Stripes, but I think I'm mid-pack at best with this group.I haven't had the pleasure of seeing/riding with them yet, But I hear some of them wear spandex on their MTB's. I'm not fast enough to wear spandex :D

#75 ·
I thought this was a newbie ride.

Strangely the ST side was much wetter than the Almaden side. Going down Ridge was pretty slick and my tires got packed up. But bombing down Stiles cleaned them out nicely.
I don't think any newbies showed up. Ridge was slick mid week (the same day as the rain), and very soft, I'm surprised it didn't dry off for the weekend.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.