Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Calories in, Calories Out - STCP Newbie Ride

7K views 99 replies 21 participants last post by  Leopold Porkstacker 
#1 ·
Back by popular (?) demand: it's the STCP Newbie Ride!

VERY chill pace for those wanting to explore the park a little. Nothing too drastic, but we will hit the lighter trails of STCP. Including Fortini, Mine Trail, Pueblo, Bernal Loop, Ohlone, Stile Ranch (Dark Side).

If the group feels up to it, we can try to tackle Coyote Peak climb, but it's a bit of a grinder, and we'll have to look at the fitness levels of all. LOTS of stops, reviewing of lines (if people are curious), braking points, shifting points, etc.

I'm going to avoid RR on this ride.

Again, I would like as many new riders to come. The loop will only be about 1,000 of elevation gain, and we will have plenty of breaks for people to catch their breath.

I'd like a large group, so let's figure out a day to make this happen with the best turn-out.

#17 ·
So, this sounds like what the Team Social Pace™ rides used to be like a year ago or so. A year on now, several of the “slow TSP guys” have become Cat2 and Cat3 XC racers. Team Social Pace rides, taken in succession, can make you faster. That’s the only conclusion I can come up with.

#21 ·
Why don't you guys start on the ST side of the park and then climb up Joyce...? that initial part after the flats of Norred gets the heart pumping, then circle the park via Mine Trail and on up Hidden Springs to the tower....

Then it's all downhill from there :) Either RR or scream back down Hidden Springs... though I've never descended Boundary...

#23 ·
Not to rub it in but you missed a great one this morning Dion. Crystal clear, not too cold at the start, maybe not as big a turnout as last year, but still fun.

I'd kinda like to do the Sunday ST ride. Not going to know until Sat afternoon as a few of us are doing an epoch cyclocross run. Cheers!

#30 ·
Ha! Someone else had a long weekend and forgot what day it was!

Our killer cyclocross run kinda petered out, so a few of us are going to do STCP tomorrow, Saturday.
Assuming it doesn't kick my hiney too much, I'll be there Sunday! :thumbsup:

#34 ·
Just moved in!

We just moved into our new-to-us house last weekend! We're just two short blocks from the Joyce trail entrance. :thumbsup:

I slipped a disc in my back the week before that and I haven't ridden in a month due to fixing this place up so that it's livable and packing/moving from the old apartment. I coud *really* use a newbie pace ride (I'm no record setter to begin with).

If I can get a day-pass from house stuff, I'd love to join you.

I rode up Joyce trail a couple onths ago and it's definitely a lung-buster. Is there a less steep way up from the ST side? Maybe I'll start an hour early so I can catch my breath before we get riding as a group.

#35 · (Edited)
We just moved into our new-to-us house last weekend! We're just two short blocks from the Joyce trail entrance. :thumbsup:

I slipped a disc in my back the week before that and I haven't ridden in a month due to fixing this place up so that it's livable and packing/moving from the old apartment. I coud *really* use a newbie pace ride (I'm no record setter to begin with).

If I can get a day-pass from house stuff, I'd love to join you.

I rode up Joyce trail a couple onths ago and it's definitely a lung-buster. Is there a less steep way up from the ST side? Maybe I'll start an hour early so I can catch my breath before we get riding as a group.
#1 WELCOME!

#2 Sorry about your back. OUCH!

#3 If you go on Strava, you will find a trail Leopold Porkstacker (Brett) aptly named "Dion's Cholapocalypse" That is a MUCH easier and faster way to get to the SC side. Climb up Bernal Rd. and about 100 yards up look to the left side. You will see a guard rail. Hop over that and take the old pavement road up. Don't hammer up it because I am in the top 10 on this Strava segment and I don't want to be kicked down!! :lol:

Strava Segment | Dion's Cholapocalypse

I used to call this Apocalypse Rd. (because it's over grown with wild animal turds and it looks like the apocalypse), but then we realized that it passes Muriel Girls Ranch (where the Cholas live - they will shank you)... and my name got thrown in there. So - "Dion's Cholapocalypse" :lol:

It will spit you into the Pueblo Parking area and you can descend Fortini to Harry Rd. Much easier way to get up and over. That Joice Trail is a steep SOB - not a very nice trail considering it seems like it was named after a pre-school teacher. ( I know it was not - I'm just saying!). People spell it on Strava "Joyce" but it's actually "Joice" :)

#36 ·
Oh, FWIW: I'll be in all-black (I pretty much ONLY wear black) and on a yellow 1986 Rockhopper.

What do you guys want to do? I know some mentioned climbing RR, but this won't be that kind of ride.

If climbing RR is a "10" and riding Fortini Trail is a "1" - what level do you guys feel comfortable with?

#38 ·
Up Stiles Ranch, down to the restrooms, up the fire road to Coyote Pk, along the ridge and down Rocky Ridge!
Anyway that's what we're doing this afternoon :thumbsup:

#40 ·
I'll be riding Santa Teresa tomorrow morning, so you'll run into me for sure (not too hard).

My slow pace is definitely social. I don't want to slow down the group, which seems to be getting hard core riders. But in the past social rides we scattered all over anyway, coming in different sides and times, getting separated, getting found, leaving when one's done regardless of the group. All fine for this sort of ride.

We can meet up and ride together sorta. I'm up for anything.

#45 ·
Planning to head out here for the first time. Probably won't make it out until noon, coming from Stockton
What do you guys recommend to get the best experience. I'm the slowest and weakest when it comes to climbing but I'm confident when it comes to technical and fast descend.

#47 ·
Too bad you can't make it with us - today is definitely the "Tour". Be sure to hit up Rocky Ridge, Stile Ranch and Ohlone. On every situation - you will have to climb to get to or to come back from - so just be mentally prepared for climbing.

#46 ·
I was out there Saturday morning.

I went up norred, Joice, bernal hill, down stiles, out and back to the lake out on almaden expressway. Then back up fortini rest at the picnic area. Then cross the park to the small parking lot then back down bernal, joice and norred.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.