Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Medium?

Call for volunteers to build Flow Trails at Tamarancho

Bay Area’s First Flow Trail Under Construction Now (And You Can Help)

"Our goal is to create a roller coaster like flow littered with twists and turns, grade dips and even some park style dirt jumps. (Like the rest of Tamarancho, the trail is rated for intermediate riders and above) Were taking care to make every feature rollable without any mandatory hang time, but if successful, both intermediate and advanced riders will be served by the progressive trail experience."

Wēk Ss
    I saw that, that's excellent! I can't make it, unfortunately.

NedwannaB

Saw it under way

Quote Originally Posted by Fast Eddy View Post
    Bay Areas First Flow Trail Under Construction Now (And You Can Help)

"Our goal is to create a roller coaster like flow littered with twists and turns, grade dips and even some park style dirt jumps. (Like the rest of Tamarancho, the trail is rated for intermediate riders and above) Were taking care to make every feature rollable without any mandatory hang time, but if successful, both intermediate and advanced riders will be served by the progressive trail experience."
    Hollered a "Thank you, Thank you, Thank you" to trailworkers down below of B17 xtn as I was ascending back up to White Hill FR. I'm going to see if I can get down there next Sunday.
    Last edited by JMac47; 12-12-2012 at 08:28 AM. Reason: typo
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....

mtbr member
    This is going to be awesome! Big thanks to all those making this happen!

Can't make it on the 16th b/c out of town, but will definitely go help out on one of those Jan. dates.

Lusus Naturae
    Thats funny, I was going to say talk to Kevin Smallman but looks like he's already in the mix. Good luck, hoping to help pack it down some day.

mtbr member
    The concept behind this trail is pretty much exactly what I've been wishing for. I'll try and make one of the dates.

It's about showing up.
    Does someone here have the skills to set up an account to accept donations for this work. There are real expenses involved for food, machinery and such.
    Last edited by Berkeley Mike; 12-12-2012 at 11:40 AM.
    I don't rattle.

mtbr member
    This sounds great and exactly what Tamo needs! Will there be other days to volunteer if we can't make this date?

My one request is please do not let the same people build the table tops on this trail that built the ones off B17 extension!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

so awesome!

this is awesome! can't wait to help out anyway i can!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rednova75 View Post
    this sounds great and exactly what tamo needs! Will there be other days to volunteer if we can't make this date?

My one request is please do not let the same people build the table tops on this trail that built the ones off b17 extension!!
    amen to that!

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    This sounds great and exactly what Tamo needs! Will there be other days to volunteer if we can't make this date?

My one request is please do not let the same people build the table tops on this trail that built the ones off B17 extension!!
    Not having been there, what is your problem with the jumps off B17?

mtbr member
    Def the same people.

NedwannaB

Tabletops?

Wait,who did he tell you that?....

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Since they need volunteers and they have trail dates scheduled in Jan (more info here: http://www.bermstyle.com/the-bay-are...-you-can-help/), sounds like a perfect time to submit your feedback in person... :-)

Super Ginger
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Berkeley Mike View Post
    Does someone here have the skills to set up an account to accept donations for this work. There are real expenses involved for food, machinery and such.
    This might work: https://fundrazr.com/
    I have never used it myself.
    2013 Jamis XCT 650b Pro
    2012 Jamis D29 Pro
    2011 Jamis Xenith SL

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I went out and helped last weekend. So far they haven't constructed any big jumps, just rollers and berms, but they've also only completed about 300 feet of trail so far. They could definitely use more volunteers though.

I'm really diggin it!
    Hey guys. Thanks for your interest! I joined MTBR a few days ago to lurk around and see if the word would get out. Looks like the cat is out of the bag so I will try and answer some of your questions.

Please feel free to contact me. My email is cejocky@gmail.com to get more info and help out. I will be up there on Thursday and Friday. Saturday is a trail maintenance day and we are going to work on Serpentine we need your help for that too. Sunday is a big volunteer day. Monday and Tuesday next week I will be up there too. You are all welcome to join me.

Just a little history on the project so far. First of all if you don't know who Jim Jacobson is you should. Jim Jacobson has been an amazing resource for Northern California mountain biking for decades. If you have ridden legal single track in Marin there is a good chance that Jim was involved. He has been super supportive and open to ideas. This is Jim's project.

Basically a few of us approached Jim and asked if we could rebuild the alternate line off of B-17 and maybe build a pump track. We were all brainstorming up on the trail one day and Jim asked us what we thought of building a new trail. We all kind of looked at each other in disbelief and we started planning the new "flow trail."

There were four of us who got the wheels turning including Jim and I'm not sure if they want to be named on a public forum. Our ranks have grown to about 7 guys who are capable of directing trail work. Also we are getting some support from high school teams who have sent many riders to help out on the two trail work days so far.

The project is still in its infancy. I'd like to ask you guys and gals three things:

Please don't ride the trail yet. Think about pump tracks. You have to wait for things to settle in after the project is completed or the features can be damaged.

Please don't do any unsupervised work. It took me a while before I could do anything on my own. You are more than welcome to join me. I'm basically putting all my free time into this. I just did 6 days of trail work in a row. Contact me to find out when you can help out. I usually work from about 11 to 2. We hike in from Whites Hill. You can ride in as we already have tools for you on site. It would be nice if you brought in some work boots. Cycling shoes tend to suck to work in and they tear up the new trail.

Also please take a back seat on planning and being a trail boss. Things got a little heated last Sunday. It wasn't productive at all. We all have a unique vision but there are already too many cooks as it is. The best thing you can do is show up with a positive vibe and a humble approach. That's what I'm doing.

I'd like to say it again: we really, really need your help. I spent 3 days on one berm and I had a lot of help from a friend. It's still not done. I could use some more friends

Quote Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post
    Hollered a "Thank you, Thank you, Thank you" to trailworkers down below of B17 xtn as I was ascending back up to White Hill FR. I'm going to see if I can get down there next Sunday.
    I heard you as I was filling an endless hole to make the first berm turn. It gave me some inspiration. So thank you! Next time walk down and check it out. Cool to meet you guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Berkeley Mike View Post
    This would be greatly appreciated. Our chainsaw expert has been using his own equipment and fuel. Jim has been using the tractor. That stuff adds up. First off buy a Tamarancho pass. Buy one for your buddy who doesn't have one. If you need more details you can hit me up. If I get a lot of interest, I can find out specifically how to give to the project.

LOL well the cool thing about Tamaranchos first jumps is that they inspired this project. They drove me nuts and I wanted to do something about it. So maximum respect to the volunteers that built them. You can contact me for other work days. I just did 6 days of work in a row. Today I finally went on a bike ride. Please don't do stuff on your own as Jim has been worried about this. We have to work through Jim.

Quote Originally Posted by sfmtber View Post
    Since they need volunteers and they have trail dates scheduled in Jan (more info here: http://www.bermstyle.com/the-bay-are...-you-can-help/), sounds like a perfect time to submit your feedback in person... :-)
    Yup. After riding flow trails in Sun Valley, B.C. and seeing what could be done at Northstar and Whistler I was *****ing and moaning about Marin. Well one day I got tired of *****ing and moaning and I asked Jim about changing some things. Pretty cool what can happen if you stop *****ing and moaning

mtbr member
    I think I'm gonna have to help out with this one!
    Last edited by Haus Boss; 12-13-2012 at 12:11 PM.

Poacher
    Sep 2010

So is there a plan to start work about 11?

I figure ride 9am to 11, then help out for awhile?

mtbr member

Recently updated

Copied from:

Bay Areas First Flow Trail Under Construction Now (And You Can Help)

Jason Van Horn December 14, 2012 at 10:31 pm

Well be out working on the trail from 9:30-2 or so. You can ride or hike into the site, but if you ride, please make sure to have a Tamarancho pass. (available at the local bike shops)

Were parking at the bike shop (Fairfax Cyclery-2020 Sir Francis Drake Blvd, Fairfax,, CA, 94930) and/ or the local neighborhoods and heading in on our bikes. (if you are a local, nows the time to get a season pass, as they are good from January through Dec)

Also- heavy rain cancels. If anything changes well be updating in the comments here.
    More on Tamarancho, and where to get passes here: Tamarancho Biking

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    What time are people rolling from Fairfax Cyclery?

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    It looks like some people will be rolling form FC @ 9 AM up White's Hill/Porcupine. I'll PROBABLY be there.

As far as weather it is misting here now, radar looks pretty clear, rainfall over night didn't amount to much. Look for someone in a red Endura jacket if you want to say hi to me.

I'm really diggin it!
    I sent out this email to a few people so I thought I would cut and paste it here.

Thank you very much! I helped Jim with Serpentine today and it was indeed a mess. Likely we will be up there but based on how wet the soil is we may not do a lot. It is a big commitment for you with that drive. So I understand if you didn't want to come out for a maybe work or likely work day. I am optimistic. We have some excellent soil and it hasn't rained really hard. The berms do a great job with drainage and the grade reversal is keeping the soil perfect so far. However they are very fragile at this point as well. If Jim says no work we will wait for better conditions.

Its a tough call and we will hopefully have some sunny cold days to to trail work during January. If you would like to see the site or meet us I will stick around at the site just in case anyone motivates to come out. Even if it cancels I will stay until 11.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I have to say hearing about this project is amazing, and a total breath of fresh air in Marin. A new trail with jumps and berms?? An it's legal?? That's freaking awesome!!! Will definitely be hitting up some work days in January.

I'm really diggin it!
    Thanks to everyone who came out today. Henry, Nathan and Mark you guys are awesome for helping out in the rain. The dirt was too wet for digging so we broadcast the duff layer quite a ways down the trail. We had about a dozen or more between the Terra Linda high school team and the other volunteers that showed up. Good day considering the weather. Thanks again.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast