middle ring single track

Calero Park trail construction has started!

I just got word from SCCP's trailmeister Greg Bringleson that they received final approval to begin construction on April 21st and went to work on the 23rd.

There are several opportunities to volunteer; check out the upcoming VoCal @ Almaden Quicksilver & Calero. (I registered for Friday and Saturday)

The bulk of the work is at Almaden Quicksilver but it's sounding like some of the group will split off and work over at Calero. Remember that Almaden Quicksilver & Calero parks will eventually connect.

The ongoing trail building at Calero will have volunteer workdays every 3rd Saturday starting in July:

July 16th
    August 20th
    September 17th
    October 22nd
    November 19th
    December 17th
    (and on and on for several years says Greg!)

I'm assuming the link to volunteer TWD sign-ups will be posted here Welcome-to-Santa-Clara-County-Parks when the time draws closer.

Bikers can also contact Greg directly for more specific information: Greg.Bringelson@PRK.SCCGOV.ORG
    Content here does not officially represent the CA DPR.

Windows 10, destroying humanity one upgrade at a time.

Yeti SB95c
    Jun 2004
    Thanks for the post! Hopefully we can build in some gnar to make the trail interesting.
    MTB blog for intermediates: http://intermediatemtb.com. Trail analysis videos, bike and component reviews, other stuff.

Yeti SB95c
    Jun 2004
    That VOCal volunteer work in AQ is on a single track trail and illegal for MTB.
    MTB blog for intermediates: http://intermediatemtb.com. Trail analysis videos, bike and component reviews, other stuff.

middle ring single track
    Quote Originally Posted by jmpreston View Post
    That VOCal volunteer work in AQ is on a single track trail and illegal for MTB.
    Yep but it frees resources for potential gnar elsewhere. (Greg at least is open to the concept and has hinted that some could happen at Calero)

We need to help him as much as possible (wherever) before he retires; the next regime could be quite different.

VOCal = free beer.

Win...Win...

Slowest Rider
    Thanks for the heads up!

Is the grand opening still on schedule for this Fall 2016, for Calero/Rancho San Vicente and the new staging area?
    It's not slow, it's doing more MTB time.

Slowest Rider
    Just heard from Greg that the grand opening has now indeed moved out as suspected, now scheduled for the spring of 2017.

Might be some preview rides in the Fall. We'll stay tuned.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    when did this process start, 2008?

rho
    Life is strange
    yay, more trails riding distance from home!

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Was out helping build trails on Friday for a corporate event. 2 out of the 30 miles have been completed and they're looking really nice flowing through the hills.

We all had a blast and looking forward to attending future trail building events for this project. Greg is a great guy and has a true passion for expanding our trail system here.

middle ring single track

San Vicente Trail well underway

I was part of a really small volunteer crew working on the first "regular" 3rd Saturday TWD @ Calero. Really small like me, Kate (uniformed SCCParks volunteer) and leader Erick (SCCParks trail crew).

Greg Bringelson was there for the start but had to leave for a meeting for the new planned bike park over by Sanborn Park; he had lots of generally favorable news RE MTB's at Santa Clara County Parks. (Like today's front-page Murky News coverage)

Today's task was finishing up the post-Sweco (tractor) trail back-slope on the nearly-complete San Vicente Trail. This trail is in the new addition of the park and will be the main connector from the (to be built) parking lot opposite Fortini Rd on McKean Rd (STP connection). About 3 miles have been cut with maybe a mile to go of "easy" cutting then they have a bridge to build and couple of rock gardens that will be very slow going. They say still on target to open this trail spring of '17. (Assuming a wet winter to settle the tread)

Some photos:

A previous volunteer crew had cut the back-slope; this needed to be tidied-up and raked over the edge:

Kate caught me at full extension:

Kate in the shade:

Erick getting it done:

After doing our quota Erick gave us a tour of the completed tractor work:

At a nearly level contour the trail goes on and on and on...

The mini-excavator (not so mini):

Note trail continuing far right distance:

The Sweco and it's handy-work:

Here's about where this new trail will connect to the original park; the speck in the middle is a couple walking their dog on the Cottle Trail:

Overall I was very impressed with this new portion of the park and how the trails are laid out; by vehicle on McKean Road it seems like it flies past---on the other side of the ridge it seems to go on forever.

climbing optimized
    Sep 2013
    Thanks for doing trail work and for the nice report.

Yeti SB95c
    Jun 2004
    I rode Rocky Ridge and Stiles Ranch on Saturday. More like that would be great! We have a lot of XC now and need some more with rocks!

I still don't like that Parks is telling us what the trail designs and locations will be. Then they brag about how much they are doing for us. We need to do our own trails like groups all over the West are doing! The land managers advise and help the trail users.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    At least they are doing something, unlike San Mateo parks or SFPUC.

They are building a trail. Watershed here wants another three years for "studies" if we can ride an existing fireroad.

:-D
    Thanks for the report and your labor Mr. Plinyberg.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Looked on their official sites - where we are with this now?

middle ring single track
    Quote Originally Posted by Axe View Post
    Looked on their official sites - where we are with this now?
    Wish I knew; haven't been able to make it to any of their volunteer days. I do know that they're going gangbusters on the Rancho San Vincente entrance parking lot; from all the earth-moving equipment it looked like they were building a shopping center.

Slowest Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by Moe Ped View Post
    I do know that they're going gangbusters on the Rancho San Vincente entrance parking lot; from all the earth-moving equipment it looked like they were building a shopping center.
    Yeah, many locals who live near me in this area just became aware and were wondering what all the big construction on McKean across from Fortini is about. Many are also worried about park traffic near near the entrances, especially on the other side by Almaden Rd where there's only one additional staging area planned out of two entrances on that road, which is not yet in the works.

I'm still optimistic that the latest word of a Spring 2017 opening might happen. Things seem to be moving that way. I've always been told the major opening (besides the little Serpentine section a while back) would be dependent on the opening of that large parking lot and staging area on McKean, due to the local concern about parking and traffic. Even after this major opening, it'll take another couple years to complete all the planned trails, with the last trail being the loop around the lake perimeter. The special new multi-use bike trail on the southern end that bypasses the equestrian only trails was said to being in construction sooner, about now. But until we get that final trail section around the lake perimeter, the new "bike trail" will be a trail to nowhere other than the road.

Aussie Bob

Trail days Calero

I worked on the new trails in September there was only 7 of us me being the only MT biker then in October the second trail day there was 15 0ff us mostly hikers and students getting service hours no Mt bikers just me ,trails are being built so step up and help out !
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Calero Park trail construction has started!-dscf0524.jpg-2nd-calero-trail-day-10-22-16-.jpg  

Calero Park trail construction has started!-dscf0473.jpg  

Calero Park trail construction has started!-dscf0474.jpg  

Calero Park trail construction has started!-dscf0475.jpg  

Calero Park trail construction has started!-dscf0476.jpg  

Calero Park trail construction has started!-dscf0480.jpg  

Calero Park trail construction has started!-dscf0481.jpg  

Calero Park trail construction has started!-dscf0484.jpg  

Calero Park trail construction has started!-dscf0488.jpg  

Calero Park trail construction has started!-dscf0490.jpg  

Calero Park trail construction has started!-dscf0494.jpg-2nd-calero-trail-day-10-22-16.jpg  

Calero Park trail construction has started!-dscf0495.jpg-2nd-calero-trail-day-10-22-16.jpg  

Calero Park trail construction has started!-dscf0498.jpg-2nd-calero-trail-day-10-22-16.jpg  

Calero Park trail construction has started!-dscf0503.jpg-2nd-calero-trail-day-10-22-16.jpg  

Calero Park trail construction has started!-dscf0508.jpg-2nd-calero-trail-day-10-22-16.jpg  

Calero Park trail construction has started!-dscf0511.jpg-2nd-calero-trail-day-10-22-16.jpg  

Calero Park trail construction has started!-dscf0515.jpg-2-nd-calero-trail-day-10-22-16.jpg  

Calero Park trail construction has started!-dscf0517.jpg-2nd-calero-trail-day-10-22-16.jpg  

Calero Park trail construction has started!-dscf0518.jpg-2nd-calero-trail-day-10-22-16.jpg  

Calero Park trail construction has started!-dscf0521.jpg-2nd-calero-trail-day-10-22-16.jpg  

:-D
    Nice work. When's the next Trail work day?

middle ring single track
    Quote Originally Posted by zazzafrazz View Post
    Nice work. When's the next Trail work day?
    According to this calero-ridge-trail-day-flyers the next day is Saturday December 17th.

middle ring single track
    I made it to today's TWD @ Calero; fantastic weather for digging some dirt! I think there were 10 of us volunteers and 4 park staffers engaged in the effort; mostly cutting back-slope and a little PO removal. This was the last volunteer work day of the year and the last one until the Rancho San Vincente entrance opens in April 2017.

There's a couple of new trails getting approval that weren't in the Trail Plan so there'll even be more miles for loop hiking/riding. And; there's still a plan afloat for a bike-specific trail; stay tuned.

Pix:

I checked out the big toys while the group formed in h-u-g-e parking area under construction.

Hi-ho, hi-yo; it's off to work we go. The Almaden-Calero Canal was running strong.

Dig starting here...

Easy digging.

This is a mostly level connector trail that loops the front side of the peak from Cottle Trail back to the parking lot.

Bucolic location; the sounds of roadies panting on McKean Rd could barely be heard!

Props to the staffers; they were digging as hard as the volunteers.

Slowest Rider
    Looks Gorgeous! Thanks to all you volunteers.

Would have joined the trail work if I wasn't freezing in the snow of CT today.

Slowest Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by Moe Ped View Post
    I made it to today's TWD @ Calero; fantastic weather for digging some dirt! I think there were 10 of us volunteers and 4 park staffers engaged in the effort; mostly cutting back-slope and a little PO removal. This was the last volunteer work day of the year and the last one until the Rancho San Vincente entrance opens in April 2017.
    In confirmation of Moe Ped's indication of an April opening. I just got the following email from a ranger:

April 22, 2017 will be the Earth Day dedication of the new trails and the first trail etiquette program for Rancho San Vicente.

So the main opening looks to be on April 22. But again, I doubt all of the planned trails will be completed by then. But we should have a nice bunch of trails that allow connection to other parks.

mtbr member
    I recall that SCCP were planning a "soft" opening. Anyone have an update on that?

middle ring single track
    Quote Originally Posted by CrashWorship View Post
    I recall that SCCP were planning a "soft" opening. Anyone have an update on that?
    I think the storms of January have changed much; several County Parks have sustained major damage (some at Calero too I think) so I''l be very surprised if they can keep the April 22 San Vicente Entrance opening date. The crews that were building the new trails at Calero have a boatload of system-wide repair work to deal with now. The Calero project itself has disappeared from their website and that can't be good news.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Any news where we are?

Slowest Rider
    I requested an update from a ranger working with the trail crew. The current status is:

The Lisa Killough Trail and Lisa’s Lookout (an awesome picnic area) are done and the trail crew is moving on to other trails. The parking lot is not done. The restroom is not done. No idea when it may be completed. They had several setbacks including issues with permits, weather and a surprise dump site.

Obviously, the June grand opening is postponed. Well, it looks like we're getting there asymptotically. I'm hoping for soon - a few months from now.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Which one is Lisa K trail?

Edit. Found it. Renamed Rancho Vicente. Apparently a dedication ceremony was help on June 3rd?
    Last edited by Axe; 06-28-2017 at 11:09 PM.

Slowest Rider
    Which one is Lisa K trail?

Edit. Found it. Renamed Rancho Vicente. Apparently a dedication ceremony was held on June 3rd?

Yea, it was an "under the radar" dedication for the relatives of Lisa K who'd come out for the June grand opening, which unfortunately didn't happen.

Some speculation is now October for the opening, but nobody is sure now considering the missed dates for various reasons.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    With the new trail on the other end of the lake it is going to be an awesome moderate loop. Can't wait to take my family there.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by BigLarry View Post
    They had several setbacks including ... a surprise dump site.
    I suppose that explains why the restroom's not done.

mtbr member
    Looks like are making it pretty extensive. I just saw that they are paving the parking lot with asphalt. All the other parks around there (Calero, Almaden, ST, Rancho De Oro) have dirt gravel parking lots. I just hope they make lots of singletrack. Tired of fireroads.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Nah, it will be like Skeggs new lot. Lot of horse trailer parking, then they will close it for a few years to fix drainage.

mtbr member
    Calero Park trail construction has started!-img_20170710_195646.jpg

They are starting to make good progress. From how big they are making the parking lot, it looks like they expect a lot of traffic. I was hoping it was gonna be more of a off the beaten path type park.

middle ring single track
    Yesterday Greg at SCCParks mentioned that the Rancho San Vincente entrance might open "late August maybe Memorial Day". Also that the trail completing Calero's western connection to RCdO may be open by spring 2018.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Will those new trails have seasonal closures?

middle ring single track
    Will those new trails have seasonal closures?
    Good question; I would think they would just like at the other county parks. I'll try to remember to ask Greg next time we chat.

climbing optimized
    Sep 2013
    Did this open yet?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ericm979 View Post
    Did this open yet?
    Nope. I was there a few days ago. Still closed and in progress. Hopefully, in a couple months.