mtbr member

Calero County Park development updates?

Anybody have any updates to the Calero Park Project? It is the one that will link Calero, Almaden, and Rancho Canada Del Oro.

I see lots of heavy equipment grading a parking lot and what looks to be some trails on McKean Road.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    I think opening has been delayed. All the resources needed to work on that project have been busy working on/fixing the damage to other parks from the storms. I ride by there a couple of times/week and none of that heavy equipment seems to have moved in months...

mtbr member
    Good point. Resources are most likely slammed from the storm damage.

middle ring single track
    June 3rd is what I'm hearing now from Greg Bringleson, SCCParks trail guy.
    Content here does not officially represent the CA DPR.

Windows 10, destroying humanity one upgrade at a time.

mtbr member
    That sounds good. Linking three parks together will allow you to ride for hours and not have to drive really far.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Didn't Santa Clara County Open Space Authority buy more land off of Uvas road a few years ago? Think that area was called Blair Ranch? Are there any long term plans for that area? It is pretty exciting seeing all the work this group has been doing.

mtbr member
    Yeah they did buy Blair Ranch property adjacent to Rancho Canada De Oro. That too will probably expand the trail system. They also bought Rancho San Vicente property which is the big plot of land adjacent to Calero lake and fronts McKean Rd at Fortini Rd. Looking at the master plan it really will link a lot trail systems: Sierra Azul, Almaden, Santa Teresa, Calero, Rancho Canada De Oro.

I just hope they make technical single track rather than make it just fireroads or flow trails. San Vicente Ranch is a good area for singletrack as there is good visibility and terrain is rocky. It could be like Santa Teresa Rocky Ridge and Stiles Ranch.

Slowest Rider
    I suspected the heavy rains would wash away any hopes of an April Earth Day opening for Calero / Rancho San Vicente. But June is still in time for summer!

I rode Blair Ranch during one of their special access days. It's got steep roads, but the rangers said they wanted to put in nice switchback trails like they did with Mayfair Ranch trail on the steep hills of Rancho Canada del Oro on the other side of the shared parking lot. But that will take time and money, which they're trying to get together. There was a clause in the sales contract with the OSA that said they needed to open it within 5 years, which has past. So the special access days are probably what's legally qualifying them. I keep hearing they'll be starting soon the the Blair Ranch trails, especially with extra funds from the recent tax approval. But other projects at other parks seem to be getting all the attention right now. That might change as the adjacent parks open up there with more access, and place more demand in that remote area.
    It's not slow, it's doing more MTB time.

mtbr member
    I rode by there on Sat and it looks like nothing has changed in a couple of months. Sunday I hiked with the dog from the main Calero entrance and there are no bike signs on the trails...hopefully the new area will allow bikes?

middle ring single track
    Quote Originally Posted by rzims View Post
    I rode by there on Sat and it looks like nothing has changed in a couple of months. Sunday I hiked with the dog from the main Calero entrance and there are no bike signs on the trails...hopefully the new area will allow bikes?
    There's a handful of threads @ MTBR about bike access at Calero; the largest being Calero Park Planning Meeting

Long story short is that AFAIK in the "new" area all the trails are multi-use except the one to the peak with the antennas.

Most of the new trails in the "old" part of the park are multi-use; there are several of the original trails in the center that will remain off-limits to bikes.

The notion of one "bikes-only" trail in Calero is still alive but just a "maybe".

Slowest Rider
    Yep, overall 28 miles of new bike legal trails between the new Rancho San Vicente and converted trails from Calero. Best of all, these trails connect the surrounding parks of Santa Teresa, Quicksilver and Rancho Canada del Oro.

There's also going to be a family biking trail around the lake that'll take another year or two with all the permits.

In the historical equestrian region around the HQ in the south where the stables used to be, several trails will remain equestrian only. But in order to allow bikes to complete a loop through Rancho Canada del Oro and get back past that equestrian region without having take McKean road, a deal was made to put in a parallel singletrack for bikes up higher on the hill. This fix delayed the entire planning by a year, so I hope that is not just a "maybe". I even heard Greg say he was even going to start on that new 'bike trail' soon after the Serpentine trail repair last year. What happened???

middle ring single track
    Quote Originally Posted by BigLarry View Post
    Yep, overall 28 miles of new bike legal trails between the new Rancho San Vicente and converted trails from Calero. Best of all, these trails connect the surrounding parks of Santa Teresa, Quicksilver and Rancho Canada del Oro.

There's also going to be a family biking trail around the lake that'll take another year or two with all the permits.

In the historical equestrian region around the HQ in the south where the stables used to be, several trails will remain equestrian only. But in order to allow bikes to complete a loop through Rancho Canada del Oro and get back past that equestrian region without having take McKean road, a deal was made to put in a parallel singletrack for bikes up higher on the hill. This fix delayed the entire planning by a year, so I hope that is not just a "maybe". I even heard Greg say he was even going to start on that new 'bike trail' soon after the Serpentine trail repair last year. What happened???
    The "bike trail up the hill" is multi-use on paper; Greg would like to see it changed to a bike-specific trail (and biker-built) but there are the usual hurdles for this to happen. We may have to share it with the horses. I did hike the route with him around the first of the year; has great potential if it can be hand-built. Yes the heavy winter has messed up scheduling.

Slowest Rider
    Moe-Ped: I have to say I was impressed that day long ago in our small group discussion with the park management when the "biker trail" was first discussed as an option in a deal to let bikes complete the loop around the park. You pulled out a google earth maps with all sorts of great suggestions on routes, illustrated on topographical maps of the area. Your suggestions actually went over pretty well with everyone, and became part of the plan. I look forward to its completion.

Since the idea was to allow separate pathways for horses and bikes, it wouldn't make sense for equestrians to take a trail with major bike traffic. As such, even though it was labeled "multi-use" it's a bike path in effect. (Sort of like Demo has become pretty much all bike paths, just by usage.) Does labeling it bike specific allow different build and rules? Is there such a category? I'd think getting around the ADA rules is more important than equestrian specific issues.

mtbr member
    Is there any type of maps floating around with the 'proposed' new trails? I'm stoked if this is going to happen.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NuckingFuts View Post
    Is there any type of maps floating around with the 'proposed' new trails? I'm stoked if this is going to happen.

This is the plan. Definitely an improvement because there is a lot of trails back there that are not used much. I ride around there a lot.

Calero County Park development updates?-calero-1.jpg