Track Junkie

Bye bye bombers?

Bombers Away: Why brewers are abandoning big bottles | DRAFT Magazine

According to the article (older,from Feb'17), some brewers are moving away from the 22oz size beers to increase availability and reduce the price point of more limited edition beers.

Personally, I'm a fan of both the bomber and the 16oz can.

What say you? Are you a bomber buyer? Or looking forward to limited beers in smaller formats?
    I get paid to ride shotgun.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Never a big bomber buyer. If the beer was available in the bomber and a six pack, the six pack was always more beer for the money.

I do love the crowlers through.
    Live to Ride, Ride to Live

heaven help me
    Oct 2005
    I like bombers, they make great road soda's.

fc
    stoked Administrator
    Yup. I started this thread in 2015. And folks are still upset at my logic.

The bomber bottle - the great craft beer fraud

Bottom line is many brewers charged double for the same beer simply because it was in a 'craft' bomber. Ususally double the price and they had no motivation to package it in 6 or 4 packs. They basically ripped us off.

Times have changed now and most are in available in cans and 6 packs. The best are the 16 oz cans or 22 oz where it is $3 instead of $8.
    IPA will save America

Broken but on the mend
    This will come full circle. I know the two breweries I have a financial stake in have a very hard time getting enough cans. 16oz cans are hard to come by in Norcal right now. Also canning lines are extremely expensive, and while we have services like the Can Van here in Norcal a lot don't have that luxury. My guess is most IPAs will move to cans because it helps keep them fresh. I have had a few BA stouts in cans and I don't feel they developed as much as if they were in bottles. Brands like The Bruery, Bottle logic and Firestone will always offer bottles and from the way the industry has been talking at the CA Beer Summit the last few days the bombers are going to stay around but its just going to be another option.

PRETENDURO
    I love the “bombers”, I love the 12oz’ers, I love the 11.2oz’ers, and I am quite fond of the 3L “MEGA BOMBERS” (think Double Bastard Ale around the holiday seasons).
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

That makes me smart
    I love getting a growler or two and taking them home and having a different source of my favorite beverage. Sure. it's expensive, but that's why I have a job.

What strips my cranks is that they have to cover up the logo with tape. You get a cool growler from your favorite brewery, take it to another brewery, and they just cover up the beautiful brewery artwork with patches of tape. Thank Allah they haven't used duct tape. Yet.
    "I can almost smell the alcohol oozing from that post."

mtnbkrmike

A global map of winds. Pretty cool.

fc
    stoked Administrator
    This is the new, new. 22 oz cans. Price is $2.50 per can.Bye bye bombers?-img_0311.jpg

A very, very comparable beer is the Knee Deep Citra (or Ballast Point Sculpin). Price is $8 per bottle. More for the Sculpin.

It comes in a bomber bottle and the difference in volume.... none.

Bye bye bombers?-kneecitra.jpg

The can is better for the beer and better for the environment.
    IPA will save America

jrm
    mtbr member
    Its not about the bomber its whats IN the bomber. Traditionally you could only get some seasonal specific beers in bombers...I like the 32oz cans some breweries are able to full and seal... 21st amendment blood red orange brew free IPA...Growlers are the best. And designs are becoming more activity friendly

mtbr member
    When riding, skiing, hiking, or paddling, I love a beer with lunch and would like another on a subsequent rest stop. But that's too much beer. I would like to see some 8 oz craft beers.
    My mantra: Hike, Bike, Paddle, Ski

Broken but on the mend
    Quote Originally Posted by telemike View Post
    When riding, skiing, hiking, or paddling, I love a beer with lunch and would like another on a subsequent rest stop. But that's too much beer. I would like to see some 8 oz craft beers.
    I can tell you that will never happen. At this point 12oz cans are for the "sell outs" as far as the industry is concerned.

middle ring single track
    Bombers are just right for sharing. There is that certain ceremony of trying to pour 2 exactly equal glasses.
    Content here does not officially represent the CA DPR.

Windows 10, destroying humanity one upgrade at a time.

PRETENDURO
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post
    This is the new, new. 22 oz cans. Price is $2.50 per can.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0311.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	49.9 KB 
ID:	1156988

A very, very comparable beer is the Knee Deep Citra (or Ballast Point Sculpin). Price is $8 per bottle. More for the Sculpin.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kneecitra.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	72.3 KB 
ID:	1156990

Those super-tall-ass cans are kinda a fun new touch!

Meanwhile, I hold the Citra and the HoptologistDIPA in high regard, and am still uncertain as to which one I like better.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

Trail Gnome Moderator
    This is the new, new. 22 oz cans. Price is $2.50 per can.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0311.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	49.9 KB 
ID:	1156988

Name:	kneecitra.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	72.3 KB 
ID:	1156990

$2.50 is too much for Lagunitas

fc
    stoked Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by griz View Post
    $2.50 is too much for Lagunitas
    find it on sale for a buck.
    IPA will save America

Hella Olde
    I've been drinking those Lag 12th cans all night long, but in my hood, Oskar Blues came first with the 16+ (19.2) : Dale's Ale and Mama's Little Yella Pils. Best size for (my) cycling. 8oz is one gulp and won't warm my leathery cockles sufficiently.

That makes me smart
    Quote Originally Posted by DH40 View Post
    I've been drinking those Lag 12th cans all night long, but in my hood, Oskar Blues came first with the 16+ (19.2) : Dale's Ale and Mama's Little Yella Pils. Best size for (my) cycling. 8oz is one gulp and won't warm my leathery cockles sufficiently.
    Dale's Pale Ale is soooooo good- could be my favorite these days.

mtnbkrmike

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Yup. Oskar Blues/Dales Pale Ale is what really started craft beer in cans. Look at the craft beer industry now...cans are cool!

"Back in 2002, small craft breweries always put their beer in bottles; aluminum cans, meanwhile, were only used by the mass-produced corporate lagers reviled by the beer cognoscenti. Katechis did the unthinkable by putting his microbrews in cans, prompting a collective GASP in the beer world."

The Tale of Oskar Blues Brewery

middle ring single track
    Reflecting on 9/11 the 22 oz bomber I just had might not be enough.

(FWIW Lagunitas' Wilco Tango Foxtrot; or Whisky Tango Foxtrot for us pilots out there)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GSJ1973 View Post
    Yup. Oskar Blues/Dales Pale Ale is what really started craft beer in cans. Look at the craft beer industry now...cans are cool!

"Back in 2002, small craft breweries always put their beer in bottles; aluminum cans, meanwhile, were only used by the mass-produced corporate lagers reviled by the beer cognoscenti. Katechis did the unthinkable by putting his microbrews in cans, prompting a collective GASP in the beer world."

Interesting side note: Part of what started the can revolution for Craft Beer was the new availability of small canning systems from Cask Brewing Systems in Calgary. You can imagine that the canning systems for the mega brewers would not be appropriate for the small scale of Oskar Blues/Dales.

Hella Olde

Interesting read - I had no idea they'd been around that long, and if I'm not mistaken, that article is 5 years old. I know they have a big presence in NC and even sponsor the YT Mob's WC DH racer, Neko Mullally, to some extent (his helmet sports their colors and name).
    Last edited by DH40; 09-11-2017 at 04:59 PM. Reason: failed spellar

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    I've always thought that fancy bottles or high prices, whether it be for whisky, wine or beer are just so you can tell yourself that you're not an alcoholic but a connoisseur.

Finally tried the Founders All Day IPA today. Pretty good. Nothing stands out about it, it's just a nice drinkable IPA

Bye bye bombers?-img_1525.jpg

That makes me smart
    Quote Originally Posted by infotekt View Post
    I've always thought that fancy bottles or high prices, whether it be for whisky, wine or beer are just so you can tell yourself that you're not an alcoholic but a connoisseur.

Finally tried the Founders All Day IPA today. Pretty good. Nothing stands out about it, it's just a nice drinkable IPA

Name:	IMG_1525.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	133.1 KB 
ID:	1157319
    I got an 18-pack of the Founders once on sale. It was better than I thought it would be, considering the price.

Hint: To post pics upright, crop them a little, first.

mtnbkrmike

stop...safety first
    Besides...who want to carry glass in their hydration pack?
    IPA is good at any temp...when you're atop the mountain ☺️

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Interesting read - I had no idea they'd been around that long, and if I'm not mistaken, that article is 5 years old. I know they have a big presence in NC and even sponsor the YT Mob's WC DH racer, Neko Mullally, to some extent (his helmet sports their colors and name).
    Yup, Dales Pale ale was always that weird craft canned beer back then. Way before the NC brewery which is maybe just 2 years old.

mtbr member
    Yup, Dales Pale ale was always that weird craft canned beer back then. Way before the NC brewery which is maybe just 2 years old.
    It dates back to 2012

Beer Please! SuperModerator
    I still buy Bombers. On my weekly ride I encourage everyone to bring one Bomber to share afterward. I have small glasses for 3oz pours, everyone gets sip. If the beer does not come in a Bomber we just open a few Baby Bottles.

rant
    Also, I HATE that this thread is in NorCal instead of in the Beer Section...... makes no sense.
    /rant

Carry on.
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

Know these before you post:
    MTBR Forum Posting Rules
    e-bike sub-forum rules

middle ring single track
    Quote Originally Posted by Klurejr View Post
    rant
    Also, I HATE that this thread is in NorCal instead of in the Beer Section...... makes no sense.
    /rant
    Silly. Beer was invented in NorCal, that's why.

Trail Gnome Moderator
    I still buy Bombers. On my weekly ride I encourage everyone to bring one Bomber to share afterward. I have small glasses for 3oz pours, everyone gets sip. If the beer does not come in a Bomber we just open a few Baby Bottles.

rant
    /rant

Carry on.
    Well, I tried to post this in the beer forum for you but, it wouldn't let me...I got a message saying that my thread had to be approved by a mod??? I am a mod. Is that a glitch in the system?

fc
    stoked Administrator
    Well, I tried to post this in the beer forum for you but, it wouldn't let me...I got a message saying that my thread had to be approved by a mod??? I am a mod. Is that a glitch in the system?
    C'mon, a likely story. What you talkin about Willis?

Try again and give us a screenshot.
    IPA will save America

PRETENDURO
    This stuff is some of the best stuff one can get in a “bomber” (the 750ml Belgian style bottle):
    Bye bye bombers?-img_5379.jpg
    Apparently it’s on tap here and there around the Bay Area. 🍻

Actually FC there might be something wrong with that section. I have had to approve a bunch of new threads in recent weeks, I could see them, but they said "moderated" on them and i don't think other users could see them until I unlocked them.

MTBR Forum Posting Rules
    e-bike sub-forum rules

Actually FC there might be something wrong with that section. I have had to approve a bunch of new threads in recent weeks, I could see them, but they said "moderated" on them and i don't think other users could see them until I unlocked them.
    Happened again, here is the screen grab before i approved them.

Bye bye bombers?-beer-forum-issue.jpg

MTBR Forum Posting Rules
    e-bike sub-forum rules

mtbr member
    Leopold, those hotdogs look AMAZING

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fc
    stoked Administrator
    Happened again, here is the screen grab before i approved them.

Name:	beer forum issue.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	35.3 KB 
ID:	1157541
    Damn, I might have turn on moderation in that forum during the great Korean Spam Attack.
    IPA will save America

fc
    stoked Administrator
    Damn, I might have turn on moderation in that forum during the great Korean Spam Attack.
    Yup, fixed now. Any other forums you're seeing this behavior on?

fc
    IPA will save America

Yup, fixed now. Any other forums you're seeing this behavior on?

fc
    no, just that one recently.

MTBR Forum Posting Rules
    e-bike sub-forum rules

PRETENDURO
    Quote Originally Posted by thepusher View Post
    Leopold, those hotdogs look AMAZING

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    They are, and paired quite well with the Moon Phase Quadrupel 13% Euro-bomber. Such an amazing day that was.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Ten years ago I went on a business trip to Longmont, CO and I think I asked here on MTBR for beer suggestions. A guy suggested Oskar Blues and asked me to bring back some Ten Fidy for him since it was impossible to get here.

Oskar Blues was a short drive away in Lyons, but while I was there I read an article in their local paper that they'd be moving to Longmont to increase production.

I didn't find as much beer as I wanted in Lyons, but scouring the stores around Longmont this is what I brought home in a checked bag:

I repeated that on subsequent trips to Colorado Springs, once bring home two rollies as checked bags (I had enough status with United that I could have done 3x 70lbs, but never tried).

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ronski View Post
    It dates back to 2012
    Damn. Time flies.

FM
    mtbr member
    Because you're choosing beer based on the price point and the packaging alone. By doing so you're arbitrarily narrowing your selection and missing out on some of the best beers available. You're also not grasping that packaging options are all about scale of the brewery and the style of beer. If they're going to sell hundreds of thousands of cases, cans work. If it's a 5bbl run of something special, bottles make a lot more sense because there is basically no minimum order quantity. Most brweeries have to purchase at least an entire 53' truck full of cans as a minimum.

Seriously. Some styles are great for cans, specifically pales, IPAs, beers that we enjoy on trails or while outdoors. Other beers really belong in a bottle- anything barrel aged, any cellar beers, wild ales, saisons, belgians, etc etc. Again, the exotic special stuff that's made in smaller volumes.

Would you expect to enjoy a fine wine in a can? No. But cans are great for convenience.

Quote Originally Posted by jrm View Post
    Its not about the bomber its whats IN the bomber.
    Exactly! Who really cares about the packaging, it's the beer that matters!

False. Here's some science for you.

Also Aluminum cans are lined with lined with epoxy that does contain BPA. This is exactly why beers that age well belong in bottles.

What is really happening is that grocery store chains and distributors are pushing towards cans, because they consume less space and are lighter, so less expensive to store & transport, and they can fit more beers on their shelves.

I work for a company that offers both cans and bottles. I like cans for what they are. The styles of beer I like most belong in bottles. But for trail riding, cans are awesome.

FM
    mtbr member
    Because you're choosing beer based on the price point and the packaging alone. By doing so you're arbitrarily narrowing your selection and missing out on some of the best beers & breweries available. You're also not grasping that packaging options are all about scale of the brewery and the style of beer. If they're going to sell hundreds of thousands of cases, cans work. If it's a 5bbl run of something special, bottles make a lot more sense because there is basically no minimum order quantity. Most breweries have to purchase at least an entire 53' truck full of cans as a minimum, that doesn't make sense for smaller breweries. There's basically no minimum for bottles.

Seriously. Some styles are great for cans, specifically pales, IPAs, beers that we enjoy on trails or while outdoors. Other beers really belong in a bottle- anything barrel aged, any cellar beers, wild ales, saisons, belgians, etc etc. Again, the exotic special stuff that's made in smaller volumes.

Would you expect to enjoy a fine wine in a can? No. But cans are great for convenience.

Quote Originally Posted by jrm View Post
    Its not about the bomber its whats IN the bomber.

False. Here's some science for you- Life of a Can.

Also Aluminum cans are lined with lined with epoxy that does contain BPA. This is exactly why beers that age well belong in bottles.

What is really happening is that grocery store chains and distributors are pushing breweries towards cans, because they consume less space and are lighter, so less expensive to store & transport, and they can fit more beers in trucks and on their shelves. And that all helps drive the cost of cans down.

I work for a packaging company that offers both cans and bottles. I like cans for what they are. The styles of beer I like most belong in bottles. But for trail riding, cans are awesome.

fc
    stoked Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by FM View Post
    Because you're choosing beer based on the price point and the packaging alone. By doing so you're arbitrarily narrowing your selection and missing out on some of the best beers available. You're also not grasping that packaging options are all about scale of the brewery and the style of beer. If they're going to sell hundreds of thousands of cases, cans work. If it's a 5bbl run of something special, bottles make a lot more sense because there is basically no minimum order quantity. Most brweeries have to purchase at least an entire 53' truck full of cans as a minimum.

False. Here's some science for you.

What is really happening is that grocery store chains and distributors are pushing towards cans, because they consume less space and are lighter, so less expensive to store & transport, and they can fit more beers on their shelves.

I work for a company that offers both cans and bottles. I like cans for what they are. The styles of beer I like most belong in bottles. But for trail riding, cans are awesome.
    I'm not married to cans. I prefer them.

This thread is about beer companies charging double for the content of beer back in 2014 because of the Bomber craze. Much has changed now with 4 packs and 6 packs.
    IPA will save America