mtbr member
    May 2018

Bummer of a PSA. Lime Ridge is burning.

The good news is that the homes in Montecito look ok as of now.

Bummer of a PSA. Lime Ridge is burning.-lime.jpg

KTVU has a live stream up on FB.

Full video:

https://www.facebook.com/ktvu/videos/10155749519032061/

Ride Fast Take Chances :)
    Big time bummer. I hope that everyone is safe inside the park and the homes that surround it.
    Making shit harder than it needs to be isn't awesome, it's just...harder.

mtbr member
    Damnit. Burning right through the fun stuff. Hope they contain it before it gets out if hand

mtbr member
    They're at 85% containment, good news! Sounds like it was caused by a car/truck throwing up sparks driving up ygnacio.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Bummer...that had to be caused by humans. We just drove past the remnants of the fire, there is still smoke coming up and some small embers burning...The fire came right down to the road, which acted as a fire break since the winds weren't too bad once it got later in the day. The front side of LR is totally burned from what I saw, so no riding there for a while. I think they kept the fire from all the homes at least. We got lucky, could have been worse.

Oaktown Honkey on Strava
    Sep 2010

From Benicia Bridge about 5 pm Fri. Diablo is about 3850 ft high.

Bummer of a PSA. Lime Ridge is burning.-img_2546.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Since its my backyard, I rode up for a look this morning. Nothing marked closed from the Walnut Creek/golf course side, nor anything burnt.

Bummer of a PSA. Lime Ridge is burning.-p1020803-xl.jpg

Followed Ohlone Trail from golf course around to Lime Ridge Trail & the west fire line.

Bummer of a PSA. Lime Ridge is burning.-p1020790-xl.jpg

Bummer of a PSA. Lime Ridge is burning.-p1020800-xl.jpg

Bummer of a PSA. Lime Ridge is burning.-p1020805-xl.jpg

Bummer of a PSA. Lime Ridge is burning.-p1020795-xl.jpg

Climbed Blue Oak to Buckeye for this view.

Bummer of a PSA. Lime Ridge is burning.-p1020807-xl.jpg

Then Buckeye back to Ohlone to Paradise Valley. All of this area has burned to the backyards! Still no closed signs or firefighters on this side either ...

Bummer of a PSA. Lime Ridge is burning.-p1020810-xl.jpg

Bummer of a PSA. Lime Ridge is burning.-p1020809-xl.jpg

Bummer of a PSA. Lime Ridge is burning.-p1020811-xl.jpg

I went back the way I came, and noticed some serious smoldering up in the oak trees on old middle trail (Lime Ridge Trail), and had to go look.

Bummer of a PSA. Lime Ridge is burning.-p1020813-xl.jpg

Not a good view, but burning branches of that tree are across the trail & almost to the dry grass & trees to the left. I cleared the burning stuff back to the burnt area & away from the dry grass. About this time, 2 hikers came down the trail from above. Its former WC mayor Bob S. & WC city employee Mike having a look too.

Lime Ridge is NOT marked as closed. The fire fighters were on the Crystal Ranch Road side protecting the neighborhood.

The only trail damage I can see is where they run the bulldozer across 'em to created a new fire line.

We got lucky it wasn't any worse.

Catfish ...

Moderator Moderator
    ^^ Thanks for the update. Those are some serious tires on that eBike!

mtbr member
    May 2018
    Update. This makes it sound like they have have closure signs up now.

Bummer of a PSA. Lime Ridge is burning.-1a8515d5-c8d2-4d1b-9852-05ff12eeadf9.jpg

Contains no juice.
    "Nice" pics, dude. Thanks for the intel.
    At least you got a nice boat out of the deal.

DJ Trump

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Yeap, Bob told me there were more smoldering trees further up. And no one but us seeing 'em.

It flared up again yesterday for another dose of plane retardant & all closed this morning. :-(

Bummer of a PSA. Lime Ridge is burning.-img_20180701_075512-xl.jpg

Catfish ...

fc
    head minion Administrator
    Thank you for the updates.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Maintenance crew told me last Thursday fires were out & Lime would re-open this week. Just had a couple of downed branches across trails to clear yet. I would have cleared them myself a week ago if authorized.

"CLOSED - Fire Hazard" signs are still up this morning. Grrr...

And next WCOSF Trail Committee Mtg is Monday July 16, 7-9pm, W.C. Civic Center, Assembly Hall.

Email from Bob S...
    ============
    "Thank you for your continuing interest in trail use in our open space.

The format for this meeting will be different from prior meetings. After a brief welcome from me, Supervising Ranger Nancy Dollard will speak about the recent Lime Ridge fire and the importance of staying on the trails so that the area can recover naturally. WCOSF President Bill Hunt will speak about the Foundation's values and how trail use matters. Nancy Wenninger (Mount Diablo Audobon Society) and Lech Naumovich (California Native Plant Society) will provide some thoughts on behalf of those organizations.

There will be a Q&A period, followed by an opportunity for public comment. In addition, each attendee will be given a note card onto which they can submit their comments.

Finally, you can submit comments directly to the Foundation by email to contact@wcosf.org and you can go to Walnut Creek Open Space Foundation and take a short online survey about trail use.

I hope to see you there on Monday!"
    ============

Catfish ...

mtbr member
    Here's a direct link to the WCOS survey. Seems inherently anti-bike with leading questions about conflicts, but maybe I'm just paranoid....

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1F...sZ9lA/viewform
    East Bay Parks AKA East Bay Cattle Ranches

Ride Fast Take Chances :)
    You can fill out multiple surveys. we have at least 50+ form our little group. All with positive views on mountain biking.
    Making shit harder than it needs to be isn't awesome, it's just...harder.

mtb'er
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe_510 View Post
    Here's a direct link to the WCOS survey. Seems inherently anti-bike with leading questions about conflicts, but maybe I'm just paranoid....

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1F...sZ9lA/viewform
    Yeah, that seems set up to get a desired outcome of "no bikes on narrow trails".

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Lime Ridge re-opened to the public yesterday.

I've been too busy prepping for Downieville tomorrow to ride up & take more photos.

Any observations from the trail committee meeting last night?

Catfish ...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by motocatfish View Post
    Any observations from the trail committee meeting last night?
    Catfish ...
    It was pretty bad in my opinion. Lots of anti-bike sentiment, and the only pro-bike horseman from the Wildcat/Tilden Horseman Assoc (something like that) seemed to be awkwardly cut short by the moderator.

The president of the Walnut Creek Open Space Foundation, Bill Hunt, spoke and made very clear in his speech that the only thing he cares about is preserving open space. (He even railed against RC cars "tearing up the soil and trampling grasses"!!!)

The one light in the darkness was the vice president of the BTCEB. She was given a nice time to speak and said some very nice things. I'm honestly not a huge fan of the BTCEB, but this was pleasing to me to see them represented, as they hadn't been at other meetings, (at least in any official capacity) before last night.

My personal thoughts as these meetings are coming to a close, is that as long as the Walnut Creek Open Space Foundation is the only voice in the ear of the City of Walnut Creek, there will not be a change in policy. It's a HOHA group.
    East Bay Parks AKA East Bay Cattle Ranches

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe_510 View Post
    The president of the Walnut Creek Open Space Foundation, Bill Hunt, spoke and made very clear in his speech that the only thing he cares about is preserving open space. (He even railed against RC cars "tearing up the soil and trampling grasses"!!!)

The one light in the darkness was the vice president of the BTCEB. She was given a nice time to speak and said some very nice things. I'm honestly not a huge fan of the BTCEB, but this was pleasing to me to see them represented, as they hadn't been at other meetings, (at least in any official capacity) before last night.

My personal thoughts as these meetings are coming to a close, is that as long as the Walnut Creek Open Space Foundation is the only voice in the ear of the City of Walnut Creek, there will not be a change in policy. It's a HOHA group.

Thanks Joe. I fear your assessment is quite accurate.

The only thing I've learned from the previous meetings was that the WCOS Rangers are NOT authorized to site or confiscate. Only authorized to observe, advise, and report back. Apparently there were drinking dirtbikers up on Lime in the early days, and the city did not want to endanger the Rangers with those confrontations. Hear this from a W.C. city employee at our table.

Catfish ...