Thread: Bright Ideas

smw
    pedal pusher

Bright Ideas

Well this morning the sun was out and so was the ice, all over roofs, cars and so on. Cool, Ill take the SS for my first climb. St Josephs is close to my house and a decent climb on a geary, so I head on over. I put on some extra clothing since the temps read 37 degrees. I begin my ride with the steep first hill, trying to get a feel for climbing on a SS. Yeah its differant, but very rewarding. I make it up the first mile of the climb without too much trouble, other thatn the intense burning in my legs and lungs. I take a short break to catch my breath. Then I head on up for the remainder of the climb, Im feeling pretty confident since the steepest part of the climb is done. Well that was wrong, it got more and more painful. Its bad enough that the legs were quicklt turning to jello, but the lungs were way beyond where they had been before. The cold air was not helping either. Well I make it to the top after 3 shorrt breaks, just to feel like I did after doing 2 loops at Demo. I feel like somebody reached into my lungs and turned em inside out. Funny I dont remember anybody telling me about this. Ouch, the lungs are still burning.

Sean
    Gears and suspension are for girls and old men. Feel free to quote me in your signature. - Fast Eddy

bike dork extraordinaire
    Quote Originally Posted by smw
    Well this morning the sun was out and so was the ice, all over roofs, cars and so on. Cool, Ill take the SS for my first climb. St Josephs is close to my house and a decent climb on a geary, so I head on over. I put on some extra clothing since the temps read 37 degrees. I begin my ride with the steep first hill, trying to get a feel for climbing on a SS. Yeah its differant, but very rewarding. I make it up the first mile of the climb without too much trouble, other thatn the intense burning in my legs and lungs. I take a short break to catch my breath. Then I head on up for the remainder of the climb, Im feeling pretty confident since the steepest part of the climb is done. Well that was wrong, it got more and more painful. Its bad enough that the legs were quicklt turning to jello, but the lungs were way beyond where they had been before. The cold air was not helping either. Well I make it to the top after 3 shorrt breaks, just to feel like I did after doing 2 loops at Demo. I feel like somebody reached into my lungs and turned em inside out. Funny I dont remember anybody telling me about this. Ouch, the lungs are still burning.

Sean

I'm about to head up page mill to see if there is any white stuff to play in, and I'm definitely not taking my single speed! The cold weather definitely makes the leg jello effect much worse. I did stevens canyon once on the ss, and it was bitterly cold and miserable. Never again!

Medium?
    I feel like somebody reached into my lungs and turned em inside out. ... Ouch, the lungs are still burning.
    That's lazyness, slackness and sloth coming out. After riding SS all spring your lungs will thank you.

Totally, and to the max.

oh yeah, i forgot to tell you...

it's going to hurt a little.

like ed said, you're just purging your girly man. soon, you'll be pushing that rig up mountains with the herculean strength of twenty oxen, or 600 sheep, or 245,000 hamsters, or 700 million goldfish. whichever comparison you prefer.

train, train, train, and then when the weather gets nice again, join francis, et al, on an ss ride for a real ass-whoopin.

congrats!
    kyle

Slowest Rider

Protect your lungs in cold weather

Biking in the cold every winter in NJ, I found biking hard in very cold (~20F) weather would give me a bronchitis that would cause me to cough so hard all night it could almost break ribs, and lasted for two or three months. This happened twice in different winters.
    It could be I had asthma and pneumonia when younger and my lungs are more susceptible than most. Nevertheless, I found it better to limit extreme hard excercise to around 40F and over. At temps 30 and below, I learned to hold back a little from extreme excercise that would need very hard deep breathing to save my lungs the damage and months of nasty pain and recovery.

But doing a SS up St. Joes is just crazy. I barely couldn't do it on a geary. Maybe I need to try again now that I'm smaller.
    It's not slow, it's doing more MTB time.

smw
    pedal pusher
    Quote Originally Posted by K-max
    it's going to hurt a little.

like ed said, you're just purging your girly man. soon, you'll be pushing that rig up mountains with the herculean strength of twenty oxen, or 600 sheep, or 245,000 hamsters, or 700 million goldfish. whichever comparison you prefer.

train, train, train, and then when the weather gets nice again, join francis, et al, on an ss ride for a real ass-whoopin.

congrats!
    kyle

A little bit! My entire body was aching. Of coourse if it didnt hurt I would have been disappointed. I bought this thing with the idea of getting stronger, I assure you, I will. I know St Joesephs isnt the easiest climb around here, but Ive found that it makes mosat other climbs around seem fairly easy, except Henry Coe. Soon I will ride up it without stopping, then I will feel some sense of accomplishment. Places like Demo, Planet ord and others should be achievable.

Ride a SS with Francis? I just look this way, Im not really kookoo. Next time I ride with Francis, Im riding a motorcycle.

Oh well, the long and short of it is this, Im doing Ft Ord on the SS tomorrow.
    Hows the leg doing Kyle? Did you crash into the brush?

Sean
    Gears and suspension are for girls and old men. Feel free to quote me in your signature. - Fast Eddy

mtbr member
    Jun 2005

ha ha ha ha...

Any opportunity to laugh at the ss'ers and I'm all over it. : )

Ord tomorrow?

smw
    pedal pusher
    Quote Originally Posted by The Law

Ord tomorrow?

Yes , are the Law and Dan51 in?

mtbr member
    Jun 2005

Yes!

Yes , are the Law and Dan51 in?

Rain or shine.

smw
    pedal pusher
    Rain or shine.

Wonderful, I assume we will meet around 9:30 or 10

29 inches and Pissed Off!

Ord tomorrow?
    I'm gonna show just so you have someone to laugh at.
    Dan C.
    CaptainKana.com
    Mountain Biking.....Cheaper than a mistress.

RJG
    mtbr member
    The first time I road up St. Josephs Hill on the SS I nearly puked halfway up where the trail splits and you make the 180 left to go to the top instead of going straight to the reservoir. The hill is steep, obviously, but you'll be sprinting up to the top no problem in a few weeks. I usually ride up there about 2-3 times a week and have no problem now. You're on your way. What gearing are you running?
    R

smw
    pedal pusher
    Quote Originally Posted by RJG
    The first time I road up St. Josephs Hill on the SS I nearly puked halfway up where the trail splits and you make the 180 left to go to the top instead of going straight to the reservoir. The hill is steep, obviously, but you'll be sprinting up to the top no problem in a few weeks. I usually ride up there about 2-3 times a week and have no problem now. You're on your way. What gearing are you running?
    R

I was actually feling pretty good till I hit the next corner. Im running 32x18
    I can tell its not too far off, and the abilities to climb on the SS are great for speed.
    I still climbed it faster then my geary. Thanks for the encouraging words.

Sean

Groveland Trail Heads

I'm

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Kana
    I'm gonna show just so you have someone to laugh at.
    Dan C.
    gonna show so I can laugh too. 9:30? Where?
    My beat box is bumpin' and my rhymes are fresh...
    www.grovelandtrailheads.org

aka dan51

Sean
    Anything titled "Bright Ideas" by SMW and I just HAVE to read it.
    But here I am dissapointed by only a first SS ride review.

ST. J's is probably one of the worst places to ride SS for the first time, but there is no place local that would be good for it. The Gap would be a good place too. It's fairly level for the first few miles.

An like The Law says HAHA
    -Dan
    Those who know, ride a Mojo AND a Mojo HD.
    Quadzilla
    Quote Originally Posted by benja55
    Ok, whatever, cold water on my bike boner right there.

swag ho Administrator
    Ha, ha. Don't say I didn't warn you. St. Joes in the cold and wet... you're some kind of hard core. Just what the singlespeed nation needs.

Yesterday, as I was eating some Krispy Kremes, I was reflecting on what makes singlespeed special. Why does it make you faster, why does it make you stronger. Can't you just not shift in your geared bike and get the same effect?

The reason I came up with in my sugar-loaded state is this:
    The human mind and body has the overwhelming capacity to play the hand that it is dealt.

To elaborate, you are dealt a heavy gear and a steep mountain. You will find a way to make it up. Whether it's momentum, will power, torque, you will figure something out. And when you go through the motions, you will get stronger... for the next time.

More donuts please!

francois

Totally, and to the max.
    The knee is healing fine, but i can't take the stitches out just yet, so I have to enjoy this beautiful day off the bike.

it's not rocket science, but i can offer a few tips on SS training:

- effective singlespeed riding is a combo of controlled power, explosive bursts and well-placed rests. the trick is knowing how much of each you can handle and for how long. you'll learn to gauge how much power to save for those steep sections while still having enough energy to keep climbing. this is slow progress as you have to wait for your lungs to get stronger.

- your goal should be something to the effect of slow grinding up anything. take suffer springs, for example. you would not not to sprint up that hill, but you would want to sustain your leg and lung power for the duration of the climb without resting. this means developing a technique that works for a long distance. you'll want to keep the rear wheel rolling at all times, without spinning out. so you need to learn how to give just enough power and not waste any. sometimes this means switching between seated climbing and standing climbing. your body will tell you what to do.

smw
    pedal pusher
    Well, Sunday at Ft Ord turned out to be a better test fo my lack of SS skills. We started off out od East Garrison, and with in a mile or so I thought I would maybe make it about 6 miles. But pretty soon I was feeling a bit stronger, or atleast determined. I was pleasantly suprised at how well I was doing. Going downhill on a hard tail is sooo fun, and differant then a squishy bike. I was climbing just fine, although we had not done any of the longer and steeper climbs yet. So we fly down 50 and begin the journey up 49, now Im thinking, well lets see how far I can get before I walk. Well as it turns out I never did walk, I made the climb without stopping, and was now gaining some confidence. However the next climb was much steeper(never made it on my geary). I didnt make it on the SS either, but I made it as far as I ever had on the geary. After that, we were into the rolling area's of Ord as we headed towards Giggling Rd and then back to the cars. We rode close to 20 miles, and I felt pretty good. My legs were tired and my whole body hurt, but I wasnt dead either.

I realized today, that a geared bike aloows me to be lazy. My legs tire a bit or begin to burn, and I shift to an easier gear. Now I know I can push the harder gear, and that I had been shiofting out of laziness.

Cant wait for my next ride on the SS. Im thinking Demo next weekend?

Sean

mtbr member
    Jun 2005

NSrs

Hey Folks,

Guess what? Single speeding is now out of vogue. The new thing is riding without a seat (Seat post removed of course.) NS'ng (no seating) is all the rage and a great new fun challenge.

And yes, bike addicts will be pleased to know you'll have to buy a whole new bike in order to truly enjoy the sport.

Okay, I'm done poking fun for a while...especially since my riding abilities are no secret.

Groveland Trail Heads

NS'ng....

Hey Folks,

Guess what? Single speeding is now out of vogue. The new thing is riding without a seat (Seat post removed of course.) NS'ng (no seating) is all the rage and a great new fun challenge.

And yes, bike addicts will be pleased to know you'll have to buy a whole new bike in order to truly enjoy the sport.

Okay, I'm done poking fun for a while...especially since my riding abilities are no secret.
    LMAO Now that's just funny.
    My beat box is bumpin' and my rhymes are fresh...
    www.grovelandtrailheads.org

smw
    pedal pusher
    Hey Folks,

Hahahahahahahahahahaaaahhahaaaaaa. Im still laughing Shilo

smw
    pedal pusher
    Quote Originally Posted by Scarpa
    First I read you're teaching people to jump, now this. I've been out of the loop too long.

My Passion is growing, what can I say.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Going downhill on a hard tail is sooo fun, and differant then a squishy bike.

First I read you're teaching people to jump, now this. I've been out of the loop too long.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    shh don't make that a trend too!