29er for the Soul

Braille Trail jumps okay for XC bike?

Hi,

I ride a Santa Cruz Superlight 29 with 100 mm Fox CTD fork and shock. Can it handle the jumps on the Braille trail?

thanks
    So Cal Rod

mtbr member
    I think it depends on your skill level but I would say yes but not recommended...I'd be a little worried about breaking the bike (I broke a super light riding Demo a wee too hard). It might not be super comfortable either.
    Peaut butter Tuesday, if you kow what I mea!

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    With the exception of maybe 3-4 features that have fairly flat landings I would think you would be fine.. Totally depends on your ability and riding style - maybe you can charge the big stuff as well.

mtbr member
    you got it bro!

mtbr member
    Lower your seat and you'll be fine.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Pretty sure if you are a pro, you can do it on a hard tail 29er and you will be fine.

For the rest of us...it depends on your skills and how much risk you are willing to take. Only you know the answer.

I have done many of the drops with a trail bike and saddle fully extended. Is doable, but I didn't enjoy it and most of the time I felt like I will crash soon.

> /dev/null 2&>1

Re: Braille Trail jumps okay for XC bike?

I dunno, a couple times sure, but if you're doing laps I think that's going reduce the working life on that bike fast. Mainly frame and wheels. I assume your wheels are on the xc side, given the frame.

Also depends on your body mass, and, age of the frame. Whatever you decide, make sure those pivot bolts are torqued properly and your wheels are true with no loose spokes.

ballbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by teachndad View Post
    Hi,

I ride a Santa Cruz Superlight 29 with 100 mm Fox CTD fork and shock. Can it handle the jumps on the Braille trail?

thanks
    If I rode it on my Giant Yukon with a Rockshox Jett 68mm travel fork with no damper, and V-brakes, I'm sure your Superlight can handle it. Ride smoothly.

swag ho Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot View Post
    If I rode it on my Giant Yukon with a Rockshox Jett 68mm travel fork with no damper, and V-brakes, I'm sure your Superlight can handle it. Ride smoothly.
    I don't think he's asking about getting down Braille. He's asking about doing the jumps on Braille.

fc
    IPA will save America

swag ho Administrator
    The fact that you're asking this question and that you're riding the Superlight probably means that you don't jump that much yet and are starting to get in to it.

The answer is yes, you can do some of the jumps at Braille. There's maybe 30 in there. 5-10 of the smaller ones first.

Braille (and the whole Demo for that matter) is the master of the 2-3 foot jump. No jump is too big on the main path and they only get big if you boost it. So theoretically, a hardtail should be able to do them all.

But the trail is rough and it's getting loose. So the bigger concern is the high speed chunder as that's where a short travel bike gets tough.

Note that ALL the jumps on Braille are options. There's always a jump and there's always a way around.

Your bike prob'ly doesn't have a dropper post so drop your saddle. Get some big tires (not so hard) and short stem, wide bars to counter that steep head angle of yours.

Do a few jumps, eyeball the rest than add a couple more every time you go out.

And don't do the burrito jump.

fc
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Braille Trail jumps okay for XC bike?-ray_burrito.jpg  

IPA will save America

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I'll say if you are asking such question then the answer is NO. The bigger problem is what you'll consider as a jump. There are 1-footers and there is 4-footer and stuff in between and only you'll know what is comfortable size.

Saying that, yes some folks hit it all on hard tail, I did some on Cannondale Scalpel but never will do it again, since I know better. But in any case Demo is not the best place to push your limits. Take it slow and small and if you are comfortable, there will be no such question.
    I used to run tubes like you are, but then I got thorn in my wheel.

29er for the Soul
    Thanks for the great replies! You all brought up aspects I hadn't considered.

Francois hit it on the head. I don't jump that much. Though, recently, I have been riding small stuff at speed that's around 12" high with out any problems. Landings have been on hardpack. My question originated after I saw a POV video of a rider doing all the jumps on Braille. From that angle(chest mount), it's hard to gauge the drops/jumps on the trail. To me they all looked in the less than 2' foot range.

I will try the smaller ones first to see how it goes and stay away from any thing like the burrito jump off that log.

I did see all the side lines on the video to avoid the jumps. BTW, I have a 2013 SC Superlight 29 with arrow straight hand made wheels with Stans Flow and Flow EX rim in the back. I've swapped in an Easton Havoc 750mm handlebar but the stem is 70mm. I will run the shocks at the Trail setting instead of downhill with the seat lowered.

Thanks again!
    So Cal Rod

Lightly salted
    Just get out there and see what you think. Like others said all jumps/drops are optional. I usually ride my 160mm full travel bike at demo. I have also used my Ros9 29er hardtail, but Im pretty light at 155lbs and usually avoid flat landings if on the hardtail. One thing to consider is a large drop/jump with a sloped landing will feel much softer than a shorter drop to a flat landing.

Weird huh?

Cool-blue Rhythm

Quote Originally Posted by francois View Post
    The fact that you're asking this question and that you're riding the Superlight probably means that you don't jump that much yet and are starting to get in to it.

The answer is yes, you can do some of the jumps at Braille. There's maybe 30 in there. 5-10 of the smaller ones first.

Braille (and the whole Demo for that matter) is the master of the 2-3 foot jump. No jump is too big on the main path and they only get big if you boost it. So theoretically, a hardtail should be able to do them all.

But the trail is rough and it's getting loose. So the bigger concern is the high speed chunder as that's where a short travel bike gets tough.

Note that ALL the jumps on Braille are options. There's always a jump and there's always a way around.

Your bike prob'ly doesn't have a dropper post so drop your saddle. Get some big tires (not so hard) and short stem, wide bars to counter that steep head angle of yours.

Do a few jumps, eyeball the rest than add a couple more every time you go out.

And don't do the burrito jump. Just read that during the edit. So adding that to my signature...

fc
    Francis used the word CHUNDER in a post. I'd rep him again if I could!

And don't do the burrito jump
    And don't do the burrito jump... Francois

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fuenstock View Post
    I have also used my Ros9 29er hardtail...
    Totally OT but how do you like that bike? Thinking of moving in that direction for my next bike.

ballbuster
    I don't think he's asking about getting down Braille. He's asking about doing the jumps on Braille.

fc
    Oh, okay. I haven't been in a couple years, since I crashed at speed and broke my ribs in '11. I just haven't made it back yet. Are these jumps new? I remember a few drop-off bits on Braille, some roll up the front, down the back stuff.... I would hit, but none of them were that scary.

Back to the original question... it all depends on you and your riding style. I know a guy who cracks frames and tweaks rims riding XC stuff without getting air, just because he rides with no finesse. He just plows everything. If you're a big heavy guy (200+) and are not a smooth rider, I would be extra credit careful.

Me, I'm 200 these days, I ride XC grade bike parts, I try and get some air, but I've only cracked one suspension dogbone linkage part on my 6 year old (at the time) Stumpjumper FSR-XC frame. ... knock on wood. That was as close as I've come to a frame failure since like 1988.

So, there is a very big YMMV on this.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I hit most of the jumps on my single speed Honzo (AM 29er hard tail). Totally doable, but it did get a bit jarring after awhile. I don't know how Danny Macaskill does it - it's all I can do to absorb a 4 foot drop without collapsing onto the handlebars. He makes it look easy to ride off a rooftop and land on concrete.

mtbr member
    Just huck it like you stole it!

swag ho Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot View Post
    Oh, okay. I haven't been in a couple years, since I crashed at speed and broke my ribs in '11. I just haven't made it back yet. Are these jumps new? I remember a few drop-off bits on Braille, some roll up the front, down the back stuff.... I would hit, but none of them were that scary.....

Schiiiiiit...

This is one of the best trails in the world. The world, man.

You gotta buck up and do it again!! Open your mind and learn about the new style of riding we call #untimeduphills. There's at least 10 of us forty-somethings XC dudes that are now railing it!

fc
    IPA will save America

swag ho Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by teachndad View Post
    Thanks for the great replies! You all brought up aspects I hadn't considered.

Francois hit it on the head. I don't jump that much. Though, recently, I have been riding small stuff at speed that's around 12" high with out any problems. Landings have been on hardpack. My question originated after I saw a POV video of a rider doing all the jumps on Braille. From that angle(chest mount), it's hard to gauge the drops/jumps on the trail. To me they all looked in the less than 2' foot range.

I will try the smaller ones first to see how it goes and stay away from any thing like the burrito jump off that log.

I did see all the side lines on the video to avoid the jumps. BTW, I have a 2013 SC Superlight 29 with arrow straight hand made wheels with Stans Flow and Flow EX rim in the back. I've swapped in an Easton Havoc 750mm handlebar but the stem is 70mm. I will run the shocks at the Trail setting instead of downhill with the seat lowered.

Thanks again!

Thank you for chiming in with more details. We presumed a lot since we didn't get a lot of info. But hey, it beats working.

Yes, Demo is one of the best trails in the land. So one has to go there. But to truly enjoy it, it's good to just take it easy, try a few, skip a few. I only started learning how to descend once I admitted I didn't know how. And it's been good since then. I talk a lot about cornering and take a lot of lessons. Even old dogs can learn new tricks.

fc
    IPA will save America

ballbuster
    Schiiiiiit...

This is one of the best trails in the world. The world, man.

You gotta buck up and do it again!! Open your mind and learn about the new style of riding we call #untimeduphills. There's at least 10 of us forty-somethings XC dudes that are now railing it!

fc
    Oh, yeah... believe me, I can't wait to get back down there. I've been crazy busy the last couple years, so full day rides are very rare in my world.