Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    zon
    Scofflaw Mountain Biker

'Bout soiled my pants

I was out at Cronan Ranch enjoying a beautiful day and a great ride on Saturday and had a run in with a rattler. I was climbing up East Ridge trail, just grinding away in slo mo when I noticed the snake laying across the trail, right as my front wheel t-boned it!! That sucker went ballistic and started flaying about trying to bite my leg. I freaked out and threw my legs straight out as it missed my calf by mere millimeters. Then my rear wheel rolled over him with just momentum powering forward motion as my legs were up around my ears by this time. It flailed about again and for a minute looked like it was going to get caught up in my spokes. Well I finally rolled past it and stopped to check my heart, and my shorts. Dam that scared the crap out of me. I have always feared t-boning one of these suckers and getting bit a million miles from nowhere. Needless to say, it was pissed!

'Bout soiled my pants-wp_20130330_002%5B1%5D.jpg

'Bout soiled my pants-wp_20130330_001.jpg
    Last edited by zon; 04-03-2013 at 05:35 PM.

mtbr member
    Damn! Glad you live to tell about it!
    my B+W landscape photos ....www.f45.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Do you use clips? I'm not sure that in a "moment of panic" I could move my feet out, when every neuron in my brain was screaming "FEET UP!"

zon
    Scofflaw Mountain Biker
    Quote Originally Posted by sjhiker View Post
    Do you use clips? I'm not sure that in a "moment of panic" I could move my feet out, when every neuron in my brain was screaming "FEET UP!"
    Yep,, clipped in. Don't even remember un-clipping.

more skier than biker
    Nov 2006
    was his name Reggie?

NedwannaB
    Yeowzerz that's a dandy sized one too! Good thing you were on a 29r and had the extra inch and a half on him!
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....

Purveyor of Trail Tales!
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by zon View Post
    I was out at Kronan Ranch enjoying a beautiful day and a great ride on Saturday and had a run in with a rattler. I was climbing up East Ridge trail, just grinding away in slo mo when I noticed the snake laying across the trail, right as my front wheel t-boned it!! That sucker went ballistic and started flaying about trying to bite my leg. I freaked out and threw my legs straight out as it missed my calf by mere millimeters. Then my rear wheel rolled over him with just momentum powering forward motion as my legs were up around my ears by this time. It flailed about again and for a minute looked like it was going to get caught up in my spokes. Well I finally rolled past it and stopped to check my heart, and my shorts. Dam that scared the crap out of me. I have always feared t-boning one of these suckers and getting bit a million miles from nowhere. Needless to say, it was pissed!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WP_20130330_002[1].jpg 
Views:	600 
Size:	292.2 KB 
ID:	787062

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WP_20130330_001.jpg 
Views:	764 
Size:	303.4 KB 
ID:	787063
    Hi Mr. zon,

I'm glad you had a positive outcome to a scary situation!

We're locals living in Coloma and since we run, bike and goat/dog walk at Cronan Ranch and Magnolia we've seen a million of these guys. On hot summer evenings we see almost a snake per walk if we get out there at dusk to beat the heat. Unfortunately we even had a friend who lost her Jack Russel Terrier at Cronan to a rattlesnake bite. The snake was so large and dog so small that the snake saw the dog as food and struck her from ambush as she ran through a field. That said the snakes we see on the trail are generally willing to move off the trail if they have time and space to do so.

Keeping a wary eye out is important to us as we'll often be walking with 3 goats and up to 9 dogs:
    'Bout soiled my pants-michael-3-goats-cropped-mtbr.com.jpg

'Bout soiled my pants-group-shot-9-cropped-mtbr.com.jpg

By the way it's Cronan Ranch (BLM Cronan Ranch, Mother Lode Field Office, Bureau of Land Management). I make the spelling correction only in case there are folks who want to find these trails.

Take care and have fun however you get dirty!

Michael
    If you can't keep the rubber side down......at least smile for the camera!

zon
    Scofflaw Mountain Biker
    @Michael,, Spelling corrected! Yeah I have seen plenty of snakes out there as well. This is the first one I had close relations with though.
    Hey I will look for your "crew" next time I'm out there and say hi!

PMarsh Thumbs Up!
    I about soiled myself just opening the thread!
    2011 Giant Glory 01
    2013 Pivot Firebird
    2004 Turner Rail - Stoled

Paper or plastic?
    Crap, that's the one thing that worries me on the trail, and I have yet to see a rattler in nearly 14 years of riding.
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I came across my first one last Friday on STCP trail...they are out and about...be careful

mtbr member
    That is a-lot of rattles, I bet that thing would pack some serious punch that pissed off.....

I'm sure you will be riding head up for a while....

mtbr member

'Bout soiled my pants

Quote Originally Posted by zon View Post
    ......... as my legs were up around my ears by this time.
    Well there's a visual we didn't need

Dam that scared the crap out of me.
    Good thing you had your Depends on right?

That's a big snake. Glad you're ok!!
    I've had two close calls like that. One in Auburn and the other at Granite Bay. Both times the snake was laying in the grass at the edge of the trail and struck just as I passed by. Both times I found a new speed I didn't know I had in me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

mtbr member
    Nov 2009

Thats a nice fat one!

Zon Glad you missed being poisoned,that would not be good. Stay alert and keep your shorts clean.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Blech, no me likey.

I've run into 2 on one hike once, other than that my rides have been clear.
    2005 FSR XC Comp
    2012 Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Did you run over the snake and that is why it struck or did it try and strike you while you were just riding by. This is meant fort brewtality's post. Another thing to keep an eye out for.

zon
    Scofflaw Mountain Biker
    I ran over it, broadside right in the middle. Both wheels.

Air Pirate
    Glad you did not get bit Zon. I have heard rattles buzzing just off-trail as I rode past on many rides around Folsom Lake and the American River, but I have never been that close to a snake getting me when riding those areas.

I did almost step on a snake at the nexus of Shafter Grade and Bolinas Ridge trails in Marin once. I had stopped to rest after climbing Shafter, was standing there off my bike for a minute, then looked down and saw this about an inch from my toe:

'Bout soiled my pants-2012-08-04%25u00252b16.33.45.jpg

Startled, and not knowing what kind of snake it was, I jumped back pretty quickly. It was a very cold day, lots of fog, so I think the snake came out of the hole, decided it was too cold, and u-turned back. I think it might have gotten stuck in that position. It was not dead (poking it with a long stick proved that), but it did not come back out or go further in to the hole when prodded. Close call perhaps, but nothing like your experience.

Be careful out there!
    "You're messing with my zen thing, man!"

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Damn, close call. I was wondering if the one that struck at brewtality was just laying there or did hge run over it and that's why it struck. I always thought that they were pretty placid and will leave you alone and only strike if you provoke them.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Wow, glad you and the snake are alive. By chance were you wearing a HRM? When something scares me (I was hiking with my dog once and a heard of cows were being pretty aggressive) i think it's interesting to see my HR data, and to see that whatever it was that scared me made my HR go higher than a hard climb did, haha.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I love seeing snakes out riding, and in Briones we often see rattlers in the summer. I am hoping never to have an encounter like you did however. These snakes are all over the place, and are generally pretty docile if you don't run over them, but I guess sometimes they do get a little ticked off...

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    That's a good lookin healthy rattler. Glad you didn't end up on the business end of it.
    2012 Rockhopper 29er.

mtbr member

'Bout soiled my pants

I crapped my pants reading your story! I need a beer and some Valium now!!!! I hate snakes!!!

mtbr member

'Bout soiled my pants

This is my #1 fear when hiking or riding. Scares me just thinking about it.

mtbr member

'Bout soiled my pants

Quote Originally Posted by peter19ue View Post
    I was wondering if the one that struck at brewtality was just laying there or did hge run over it and that's why it struck.
    The two snakes that struck at me were both laying along the trail, just under the overhanging grass. I did not run over them. Just rode past them. I suspect I surprised them, which resulted in the reactionary strikes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast