mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Bodega Bay Mtn biking?

Gonna be over there for the Thanksgiving weekend. Is it worth it to bring the bike?

What parks or trailheads are good?

thanks!
    "I think it's rad, when Balls beats Natural talent" - Shaun Palmer

feeling squirrelly
    We will also be there for Thanksgiving. My family owns a home there so we have spent lots of time trying to seek mountain biking in Bodega Bay, many of the trails are just too sandy. At the Bodega Head there is a network of trails which are fun on a cross bike or mountain bike but it is a very short loop and better suited for hiking or trail running.

The best mountain biking in the area is in Occidental off of Coleman Valley Road, Willow Creek, but you really need a local to show you the ropes. Annadel is not a far drive and totally worth the trip.

Are you into road biking at all? The road riding out of Bodega Bay is phenomenal! PM if you want some road loops, I can hook you up with routes anywhere from 20 to 85 miles. I have also taken my mountain bike on road adventures and looped in some single track here and there along the way off of highway 1 that connects some of the different beaches.

mtbr member
    I've done some searching here on Bodega Bay in the past if you do a forum search. You'll find exactly what Jenny summarized. The road riding is phenomenal! Seriously, if you have a road bike, bring it!
    Previously known as mttamrnr.

don't try this at home
    there is also a cx race on saturday in santa rosa. not quite the riding you're probably thinking but fun nonetheless. badjenny pretty much summed it up out there.
    will you rep me?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Awesome, thanks for the info. I'll just bring the townie, since I don't have a road bike in the quiver. Road biking is too dangerous
    "I think it's rad, when Balls beats Natural talent" - Shaun Palmer

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by badjenny View Post
    We will also be there for Thanksgiving. My family owns a home there so we have spent lots of time trying to seek mountain biking in Bodega Bay, many of the trails are just too sandy. At the Bodega Head there is a network of trails which are fun on a cross bike or mountain bike but it is a very short loop and better suited for hiking or trail running.

The best mountain biking in the area is in Occidental off of Coleman Valley Road, Willow Creek, but you really need a local to show you the ropes. Annadel is not a far drive and totally worth the trip.

Are you into road biking at all? The road riding out of Bodega Bay is phenomenal! PM if you want some road loops, I can hook you up with routes anywhere from 20 to 85 miles. I have also taken my mountain bike on road adventures and looped in some single track here and there along the way off of highway 1 that connects some of the different beaches.
    Ooh Occidental has some really really nice trails but as stated you have to find someone to take you there. Also I believe that there is some riding in jenner not far from Bodega.

mtbr member
    Check out Fort Ross area.

mtbr member

willow creek

I will be at Willow Creek on saturday at around noon for a ride. You need a permit to ride there, Im going in on the Freezeout Road gate. Park there at 12:15 and wait I should be around and either you can follow me or I'll explain a route and give you the gate key so you can go on you own paced adventure. Im kinda slow on the uphills....but like a runaway freight train on the DH. You can also find me on facebook, look up my group Norcal Gravity we are always posting info and videos about the area. (goes for anyone reading post)

mtbr member
    GRR, I'd love to check out your stuff but couldn't find Norcal Gravity group on Facebook. Is there more to the name than that? I've been super interested in Willow Creek for some time. Thanks!
    Previously known as mttamrnr.

mtb'er
    If you're Garmin Connect savvy, you don't really need a guide to ride good stuff out there. Don't be afraid to start near Meeker.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by etuck View Post
    GRR, I'd love to check out your stuff but couldn't find Norcal Gravity group on Facebook. Is there more to the name than that? I've been super interested in Willow Creek for some time. Thanks!
    There's nothing special to the name othe than "Norcal Gravity" but you can friend request me my name is Ryan Lewis and I live in Santa Rosa. After I accept and add you to the group you can defriend me and then you'd get the hookup on info around sonoma county.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GRR gravity riders View Post
    I will be at Willow Creek on saturday at around noon for a ride. You need a permit to ride there, Im going in on the Freezeout Road gate. [...]
    I was told pretty clearly that, if you have a permit, you can bring along guests who don't have one (as long as they'll be accompanying you during the ride, obviously). The biggest issue might be parking, though, since I was told that all cars that park at the Freezeout Flat need to display the parking tag, which would include guests. To avoid that, the guest cars could be left in the nearby Duncan Mills and they could bike in from there.
    Looking for local rides? You'll find plenty on my website: Bay Area Mountain Bike Rides.