Thread: Black Widow

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Black Widow

Here is one topic I don't think we have gotten into much. I think there is a Black Widow ( Latrodectus hesperus) on my bedroom wall. I don't want to kill it. I don't want to get bit either. I think it's time for the vacuum cleaner. Would you kill it or try to move it?

dude with orange car
    I move most spiders. Black Widows are scary enough I'd probably kill it.
    This is no time for levity. - Oliver Hardy

Birthday Collector
    Black Widows are pretty nasty - when I was about 11 I got bit on the arm by one, reaching behind some bags of concrete mix to get a ping-pong ball. My arm swelled up HUGE - I looked like Popeye and it it was very painful. Even after the swelling went down the area around the bike itched like hell for days, the skin got all nasty, etc... While I do not advocate killing things as a general rule, I'd vaccuum it and then spray some RAID or something in the nozzle while the vac was still going. Your call. If you move it - get it far away from where you live, and be careful doing it.
    R.I.P. Corky 10/97-4/09
    Disclaimer: I sell and repair bikes for a living
    http://www.endlesscyclesonline.com

TLL
    mtbr member

if you don't want to kill it

You could probably catch it and move it . . . they are not that fast. They are pretty easy to catch using a jar.
    Hadley rear hub service here and here.

aka dan51
    Time to get out the shoe! Make sure the sole if flat too. Nothing worse than hitting it only to have a non-flat part miss the spider. That usually only pisses it off, and it then drops to the floor behind your bed, to never be found again. After smashing it, leave it on the wall as a warning for others..... Kind of like the skeletons you see in caves of Indiana Jones movies.
    Those who know, ride a Mojo AND a Mojo HD.
    Quadzilla
    Quote Originally Posted by benja55
    Ok, whatever, cold water on my bike boner right there.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    They're easy to catch with a jar. When I was a kid there were lots of em in the rock walls around my house. We'd use an ant as bait (toss him on the web) and the spider'd come out to wrap him up and then we'd snag the spider. Good times. Only got bit once - swelled up my hand pretty good. I'd probably just kill the one in your house.

Thirsty
    Kill it. Black widows are not to be messed with.

Weird huh?
    Be a man.......eat it!
    And don't do the burrito jump... Francois

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    your house is probably filled with thousands of them anyway.. they're not really aggressive spiders. one just decided to crawl out where you can see it.

wg
    Fermented Grain Sampler
    Quote Originally Posted by Plim
    I move most spiders. Black Widows are scary enough I'd probably kill it.
    What he said. If you try to move it and miss.... have a nice quiet evening trying to sleep.

Other spiders are worth keeping around/relocating since their eating other bugs. Saw some really cool ones as I started moving an old wood pile this AM.
    Don't harsh my mello

ol'guy who says hi &waves
    No doubt about it...SPLAT !

I may not have the best of everything, but I have the best everything that matters.

Trail Goddess

Smash it.

Be glad it's only one. My friend had a hatching of baby black widows come out from under her couch the other night. She ended up vacuuming, rewashing the clothes that were folded on the couch, and smashing rest.

Black widows are very fast moving spiders and tend to be touchy too.

Fiona
    I've become one of those people, you know the ones.

padded
    WheelsJr found a black widow while we were working in the garden today. Fortunately, he's totally into spiders, so he can recognize them and knows not to touch. Since its web was out of the way we left it where it was.
    Normally I move spiders outside but for a black widow I'd probably squish it. Shout "Transpose!" when you do the deed to usher it on to its next life
    "You are by far the most interesting single-serving friend I have ever met."

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by DrWheels
    WheelsJr found a black widow while we were working in the garden today. Fortunately, he's totally into spiders, so he can recognize them and knows not to touch. Since its web was out of the way we left it where it was.
    Normally I move spiders outside but for a black widow I'd probably squish it. Shout "Transpose!" when you do the deed to usher it on to its next life
    I like that one.

I just vacuumed it and through the filter in the trash. A pretty painless relocation I think. Hopefully she will see it that way as well.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I better check that out.
    The one I vacuumed was a little small. Maybe the empty eggs mean there are more kids about and Mommy is not too happy with me for kidnapping her daughter.