Birthday Collector

Black Friday ride at Ord

A group of us are meeting at Endless Friday morning to head down to Fort Ord for a nice post-Turkey Day ride. We'll be rolling from Castro Valley @ 8:30 to be at 8th & Gigling Rd about 10:00... If anyone else is heading down there it'd be great to see you on the trails. If you are looking for a group to head with that way from the East Bay, we'll be meeting between 8:00 and 8:30 to arrange car-pools. Expect a full day, as we'll be riding at a medium/social pace (no drop) and will be making a late lunch/early dinner stop in Seaside or Salinas on the way home.

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone!
    R.I.P. Corky 10/97-4/09
    Disclaimer: I sell and repair bikes for a living
    http://www.endlesscyclesonline.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    FYI. There is a three day horse endurance event "Desert Gold" scheduled after Thanksgiving on the trails of Fort Ord.

Birthday Collector
    Arrrggghhh!!! Horse S#it slalom!
    R.I.P. Corky 10/97-4/09

Ariolimax columbianus
    Yo atbscott, this ride still happening? I might try and make it. I remember riding this w/y'all a few years back. Cheers!

Birthday Collector
    Hey nativeson - that would be great to see you again! That day we rode through the old oaks out of 8th & Gigling was a blast - never sure if we found the same route again afterwards! Hope you can make it!
    R.I.P. Corky 10/97-4/09

MTB skillz = NADA
    Did you guys hit Ord today? How was it? Did you run into the horses?
    Since I don't like writing, I don't have a blog to pimp. This space for rent.

Uncle
    Sorry to have missed this one. Heard you all covered some good ground.
    When my hand heals up, I'm hoping a few of us at least will make it down to camp at Laguna Seca and ride back to back days.
    Eat, ride, eat, rest, repeat.

Birthday Collector
    Great ride at Ord today. nativeson's directions at the start/end through the "un-numbered" trails made it a real blast. Ended up doing about what I had planned distance-time wise. The trails are in great shape, and conditions were near perfect, ground, low-dust factor and temps with the sun out were downright luxurious. We saw a few horse-people/endurance and almost all were very friendly and we talked with a couple of women. (Seems like all the riders were women...) One gal was coming the other way, trotting on the side of a fire road stretch (lower Pillarcitos) and I said "Having fun?" Not a nod, look, or reply. One other guy we saw near the end also was not real talkative. I don't know - maybe they were tired out or something - I didn't ask the horses... Great food afterwards, and my SS-training-deprived legs were feeling the last couple of climbs (but I made them) and are pretty dead right now! Be great to get another ride down there if the weather holds out for a while. I'll post if we are heading out again.
    R.I.P. Corky 10/97-4/09

Ariolimax columbianus
    Fun times, thx for letting me tag along. Insane weather. Some snaps....Black Friday ride at Ord-imageuploadedbytapatalk1353797712.303970.jpgBlack Friday ride at Ord-imageuploadedbytapatalk1353797731.917820.jpgBlack Friday ride at Ord-imageuploadedbytapatalk1353797746.086005.jpg

MTB skillz = NADA
    I hit Ord today for the first time in about 6 months, and I was greeted by a bunch of nice expensive looking signs telling me that everyt trail I wanted to ride was closed. Eventually we will only be able to ride fire roads and black top.
    Since I don't like writing, I don't have a blog to pimp. This space for rent.

mtbr member
    The signs you saw are on land that is not opened to the public. Really never was. We used to ride there because the persons in charge turned the other eye. Not anymore. Sucks, but you need to stay on the BLM land if you don't want to get busted. Never know when the Monterey County Sheriffs will show up to enforce the "No Trespassing" signs. The new National Monument designation for Fort Ord really doubled the size of the land we can use. Opps, most of that added land is in a high impact area. Will take decades to clear of munitions. Maybe our grandchildren will get to go there.

mtbr member
    Coming down Chain Gang. Sweet trail. Hope you enjoyed it.

ballbuster
    Good times had by all,

Got to look at some massive boulders...

Good folks...

I had such a good time, I forgot to take action riding shots until the end....