Captain One Lung SuperModerator

BKXC gets some local MTB Skills Training

Shout out to Brian for having the guts to put his training online in a video format. A lot of people are too proud to admit they need training let alone show the world their bad habits. I'm seriously going to sign up for a skills clinic. Thanks Brian!

Ian Massey is a Bay Area local. TRAIL TECHNIQUE | SF BAY AREA ? BIKE COACHING ? BIKE FITTINGS ? PERSONAL COACHING

Have you ever done a skills clinic?

fc
    stoked Administrator
    Really cool!! I'm a fan of Ian. I'm a fan of coaching.

Most people will NEVER get coaching, yet alone consider it. They firmly believe mountain biking is a self-taught sport.

Many people are self-taught wrong. They just get good at it. I'm a believer that the first step to learning is to first admit that one does not know all and one can get better.

For the ones that consider coaching, there's a severe shortage of good and affordable men's coaching here in the Bay Area. Also, we don't have a place to do it where there's terrain and obstacles with technical progression.

Trek Dirt Series (mostly for women) is pretty darn awesome and they bring a lot of their training obstacles. They're starting to have men's clinics but still very sparse.

Ian does this for a living so take him up on it. Very reasonable and he'll do group or individual sessions.
    IPA will save America

100% agree. fc!

I attend a lot of women's clinics up here in Grass Valley/Roseville and watching people drop bad habits and replace them with proper technique is nothing short of amazing.

TBF does a training series up here and Ian is in the Bay Area. Maybe we could ask about doing an MTBR clinic or series of clinics to keep the numbers manageable? I bet Ian and Health would be down for that.

mtbr member
    A small group of us did a skills clinic with Ian a little while back. He is indeed a great coach and teacher, and of course an amazing rider.

I'm sure Brian will agree (and this comes across in the video) that as informative as it is, it is extremely humbling to have somebody who really knows what they're doing demonstrate to you how many bad habits and weaknesses you have, how poor your conditioning is, and how far you have to go in order to ride at a really high level. I was physically and mentally exhausted at the end of the coaching session! Bob-o and I stuck around and just did a fun ride with Ian after the session and I could barely ride but it was worth it to ride behind Ian.

I would highly recommend Ian's coaching to anyone, but with a couple caveats:

1. Ian is intense (I think this comes across in the video as well). He is not going to coddle you or give you "tricks" to make you ride better, or even build off the way you currently ride. This is a starting from fundamentals and basic skills approach, and your mindset going in has to be that you are willing to totally change the way you ride in order to really benefit.

2. One session alone will do very little for you. You will need to take the knowledge and practice and condition a ton, apply the fundamentals you learned, and ideally do follow up sessions to really benefit.

Quote Originally Posted by skyno View Post
    A small group of us did a skills clinic with Ian a little while back. He is indeed a great coach and teacher, and of course an amazing rider.

I'm sure Brian will agree (and this comes across in the video) that as informative as it is, it is extremely humbling to have somebody who really knows what they're doing demonstrate to you how many bad habits and weaknesses you have, how poor your conditioning is, and how far you have to go in order to ride at a really high level. I was physically and mentally exhausted at the end of the coaching session! Bob-o and I stuck around and just did a fun ride with Ian after the session and I could barely ride but it was worth it to ride behind Ian.

I would highly recommend Ian's coaching to anyone, but with a couple caveats:

1. Ian is intense (I think this comes across in the video as well). He is not going to coddle you or give you "tricks" to make you ride better, or even build off the way you currently ride. This is a starting from fundamentals and basic skills approach, and your mindset going in has to be that you are willing to totally change the way you ride in order to really benefit.

2. One session alone will do very little for you. You will need to take the knowledge and practice and condition a ton, apply the fundamentals you learned, and ideally do follow up sessions to really benefit.
    Well said!

The women's skills clinics are similar. No coddling. In fact there are a lot of curse words used and even some tears shed but everyone comes out stronger for it. Looks more like boot camp than a gentle yoga session. Check your ego and sensitivity at the door.

Over it
    Jun 2010
    Ian = Legit

He is an encyclopedia of mtb knowledge, from technique to physiology. I'm looking forward to a DJ class with him at the Cunningham Bike Park (whenever it opens).
    Friends don't let friends ride e-"bikes" on dirt.

Nature is not a sidewalk (I'm looking at you, MidPen).

mtbr member
    I've been riding for 20 years and I got coaching 2 years ago with great results. I carried that philosophy over to Snowboarding this year and took a lesson as an already intermediate/advanced rider and same thing: instant, significant improvements. I would argue skills work after already being experienced yields more satisfying results :-) that kind of improvement is too good to pass up.

I plan to higher Ian after seeing this video.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Yep saw that and enjoyed it as well. Brian has leveled up quite a bit watching him ride over the last couple months on YT.

I need a jump coach. I'm just decent. Need to get my scrub on. And my whip on. No more Joey of the day.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I've been contemplating signing up for a coaching session,

What are you guys thoughts in choosing between Ian and Lee ?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Thanks Justin, this was a really good session and people are absolutely loving it. I was worried about putting too much of the "secret sauce" into the video, but I think I hit a good balance of being useful to the viewer AND getting people fired up about a coaching session.

I'm beyond stoked that so many people have commented and said that they're going to get in touch with Ian. We are both dudes who are trying to create our own dream jobs, so I get a lot out of helping him.

mtbr member
    I watched this video when it first dropped. Definitely made me consider signing up for something. I really enjoyed the video even though at first it didn't grab my attention. I think what sold me was the shots of him building up to riding over that big log. I'm glad Brian posted a video like that to show who he is and what his flaws are. It's so easy to edit your way through a YT video to make yourself look awesome. I try to show people me screwing up all the time. I think if you don't you are selling a lie. I enjoy integrity more than subs.
    </robert> ::: B1KER.com - Be One

Over it
    Jun 2010
    fonzo- Not even close, imho. Lee has bigger classes and it's way more expensive (I think Ian could/should charge more). And Ian's depth of knowledge is astounding. I wanted a recorder so I could remember it all! Lee does have his followers though.

Disclaimer- I haven't taken a class from Lee, but I've observed part of one and had friends take the class. I don't think any of them said they'd take the class again; everybody that I know that has taken Ian's class wants another.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Good to know, I just saw his website his rates are definitely reasonable, might have a buddy join in for the group rate..

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    hi BKXC, where was the video filmed? i'm definitely stoked about more coaching, esp identifying the problem areas. if he has sessions in the north bay or south bay, definitely something i'd look into.

(I took a betterride class a few years ago that was helpful)
    94 Specialized Rockhopper

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dth656 View Post
    hi BKXC, where was the video filmed? i'm definitely stoked about more coaching, esp identifying the problem areas. if he has sessions in the north bay or south bay, definitely something i'd look into.

(I took a betterride class a few years ago that was helpful)
    This was in Joaquin Miller in Oakland.
    https://www.mtbproject.com/trail/467...est-of-oakland
    https://www.yelp.com/biz/joaquin-miller-park-oakland

Looks like they were up at the top of the park near the horse stadium. It's a great place to work on skills.. for CX there are stairs and sand.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by B1KER View Post
    I watched this video when it first dropped. Definitely made me consider signing up for something. I really enjoyed the video even though at first it didn't grab my attention. I think what sold me was the shots of him building up to riding over that big log. I'm glad Brian posted a video like that to show who he is and what his flaws are. It's so easy to edit your way through a YT video to make yourself look awesome. I try to show people me screwing up all the time. I think if you don't you are selling a lie. I enjoy integrity more than subs.
    Only to a certain extent. I can edit all I want, but I still won't be able to make myself look like Richie Rude or Gwin.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RBoardman View Post
    Only to a certain extent. I can edit all I want, but I still won't be able to make myself look like Richie Rude or Gwin.
    LOL, true! But I think you get what I was saying. You can definitely cut up a 3 hour ride into 3 mins of just looking awesome and like the whole thing was bombing downhill. Nothing but fun! Leave out every dab or bad line you took. Leave out the part when you climbed so hard you almost puked. Or the time you drank too much water and did puke. Or when you bonked at the end and were barely moving...or when you walked up that whole hill because you just had the sh*ts of climbing. That kind of stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by B1KER View Post
    LOL, true! But I think you get what I was saying. You can definitely cut up a 3 hour ride into 3 mins of just looking awesome and like the whole thing was bombing downhill. Nothing but fun! Leave out every dab or bad line you took. Leave out the part when you climbed so hard you almost puked. Or the time you drank too much water and did puke. Or when you bonked at the end and were barely moving...or when you walked up that whole hill because you just had the sh*ts of climbing. That kind of stuff.
    You dab bro?

LOL

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    This definitely got me considering taking a clinic again (at least from this guy). I took one before but it was too basic and I didn't really get much out of it. I've been meaning to learn to manual for a while, and seeing the progression in this video really drove that home. I want to be able to pop over a log like that!

Our bikes these days make up for so much that I think we probably miss out on developing skills like that until later. Like, a lot of the smaller stuff he was manualling over at the start, I'd just plow straight over and let the suspension take over. But I can't do that on stairs or a log like that!

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    I've watched this video probably four or five times now, and every time I've caught something new or a little different.

I think this was the perfect "teaser" video for Brian's audience to introduce them to the value of targeted coaching, and a great marketing opportunity for Ian. I fully intend to setup at least one session with Ian this spring to assess my skill level and work on my shortcomings.

MarkyMark
    Sending my GF to DirtSeries for her birthday present was the best thing I've ever done. She's taken a few additional lessons from other instructions since and is always on the look-out for more.

The video was very good and I really like how Ian was teaching!

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Wish Ian came to AZ with you because I would love to register for one of his courses. Since you are in Sedona right now, will you be in Sedona through the weekend? This weekend is Sedona's Mountain Bike Festival, pretty big event going on. The trails will be packed so I dont blame you if you decide to go elsewhere. Hopefully you'll make your way down to Phoenix and do some riding down here. National Trail at South Mountain you would love! Its one of our most popular trails with tons of options to choose from.

fc
    stoked Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkMass View Post
    Sending my GF to DirtSeries for her birthday present was the best thing I've ever done. She's taken a few additional lessons from other instructions since and is always on the look-out for more.

The video was very good and I really like how Ian was teaching!
    Have you taken lessons?
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Ian should seriously consider a local skills clinic. As much as I would love one-on-one coaching, I don't think I have the endurance and attention span to do two hours of lesson.

Over it
    Jun 2010
    ^^ He does small group clinics. Get some friends together!

mtbr member
    that's a lot of progression from just one session!

mtbr member
    BKXC may need to change his handle to BKAM soon.

fc
    stoked Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by dchester View Post
    That was my first question to him. Why XC? When you seek out the best trails in the world, it leads to All Mountain(s).
    IPA will save America

fc
    stoked Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by flipnidaho View Post
    that's a lot of progression from just one session!
    Yeah, what they're working on is pretty darn advanced. Ian is so deep in the zone that the concepts he discusses take a while to sink in. But they are sound.

That's a key advantage of an individual session or a controlled group of similar skillsets. The coach can zone in on the most advanced concepts the rider is ready for.

On big random groups, you're often left to the pace of the lowest denominator.

fc
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post
    On big random groups, you're often left to the pace of the lowest denominator.
    This. I got lucky and the group was half buddies and shredders, so we got out of the parking lot fairly quickly and into more advanced stuff. Other groups spend the entire day in the lot, lowest common denominator in action and why private/selected groups are the best option.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dchester View Post
    I think the AM is probably more appropriate, but XC just sounds cooler. LOL!

mtbr member
    Much love for Ian and Trail Technique( TRAIL TECHNIQUE | SF BAY AREA ? BIKE COACHING ? BIKE FITTINGS ? PERSONAL COACHING ). You think you know bikes bikes because you hang out on the MTBR, think again.

Also, on the girl friend/wife/ female training, highly suggest going up to CogWild in Bend, OR and get them a private lesson from one of the female guides there. You go shuttle epic trails and your she gets amazing training with pumptrack, skinies and amazing skill building trails.

Another female option that I can highly highly recommend is the Ladies Allride with Lindsey and her team. My girlfriend did an afternoon course and her skills doubled!

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Want coaching?

Lee from Lee like bikes is in town this weekend for some coaching. There are spots open. If you mention that you heard it from me, I get 10% back on my cost - I'll split it with you, or buy the beer for after...your choice.

And by the way, I can't friggen wait! First ever lesson!

mtbr member
    Never taken a class from Ian, but he's a nice dude, and Encina bikes takes good care of me.
    East Bay Parks AKA East Bay Cattle Ranches

Quote Originally Posted by paintballeerXC View Post
    Much love for Ian and Trail Technique( TRAIL TECHNIQUE | SF BAY AREA ? BIKE COACHING ? BIKE FITTINGS ? PERSONAL COACHING ). You think you know bikes bikes because you hang out on the MTBR, think again.

Also, on the girl friend/wife/ female training, highly suggest going up to CogWild in Bend, OR and get them a private lesson from one of the female guides there. You go shuttle epic trails and your she gets amazing training with pumptrack, skinies and amazing skill building trails.

Another female option that I can highly highly recommend is the Ladies Allride with Lindsey and her team. My girlfriend did an afternoon course and her skills doubled!
    Well do a lot of women's clinics up here in the Roseville to Grass Valley area and Northstar during the summer. My GF runs a women's MTB page on FB and her website is almost up but the clinics are already rolling.