Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtb'er

Bitter-Sweetwater

For Folsom Lake riders... this is too bizarre/funny not to share, and another example of the fraction of society that loathes bicycles.

Today, a small group of us rode Sweetwater trail as part of our ride. On the one descent, about 2/3rds of the way to the east parking lot, Tyrone Shoelaces (20 yds in front of me) went around a bend only to see a trail runner coming towards us. Tyrone slowed, the runner was startled and jumped to his left (the uphill side of the trail). No collision, no rudeness, no problem, right?

I immediately pull up and stopped, in time to hear Tyrone politely say "It's a multi-use trail..." (in response to something they runner mumbled to him). The runner, an older guy in his 50's, suddenly lost it... telling us that we were NOT on a multi-use trail and that our trail was over there (he pointed across the lake to Salmon Falls). I was incredulous. I/we explained that we were on the Sweetwater trail, which was built by mountain bikers (FATRAC) and it is very much multi-use. The runner would have none of this, arguing that under no uncertain terms, the trail was for hikers, runners and equestrians ONLY.

After going back and forth for maybe 3 minutes, with us repeating the reality, and him explaining how he's been using these trails for 40 years and is a race promoter, and we were riding illegally and he'd be speaking with his friends at State Parks about us... and me snagging a photo and vid of him , we went our separate ways.

I can only guess that he was confused as to what trail he was actually on Simply amazing. I wish I could hear the conversation he has with his State Park friends...

p.s. Big thanks to whoever cut/cleared all the fallen trees on Sweetwater

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I don't want to end up like that guy; I hope I don't get so old I don't know where I'm at

never mind...too late

Type A
    There was another trail running group on the Salmon Falls side. They decided that painting large orange arrows marking the trail was appropriate. I'm not sure how they could possibly get lost. They did use chalk paint, so it will wash away eventually, but it has no place being used on Salmon Falls.

Cheesiest
    I was with a group at Granite Bay and there was a trail runner who flipped some of the group off and tried to ***** people out. These types need to stay on a treadmill and listen to soothing music (or get laid).
    "Paved roads...just another example of needless government spending"—paraphrased from rhino_adv

mtbr member
    On New Years Day, I saw a runner at Granite Bay whose shirt read "Mtn Bikes Ruin Trails". A minute later I saw a group of, what appeared to be, 40+ high school mtn bikers headed right towards her. I can only imagine what went through her mind with that.
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

Cheesiest
    Quote Originally Posted by Brewtality View Post
    On New Years Day, I saw a runner at Granite Bay whose shirt read "Mtn Bikes Ruin Trails". A minute later I saw a group of, what appeared to be, 40+ high school mtn bikers headed right towards her. I can only imagine what went through her mind with that.
    Karma's a *****!
    "Paved roads...just another example of needless government spending"—paraphrased from rhino_adv

mtbr member
    Yeah unfortunately some really misled runners around here when it comes to attitude on the trail. I have had the full stop say hello to a jogger only to get a f*** you and a finger for absolute no reason. I wonder if these people also go out with saw packed on their backs to clear trail so that all can use.

It confuses me that people will hate on mountain bikers, isn't that as old as hating on snowboarders. The way I look at it everyone that is out on the trail has a similar idea which is to enjoy nature and for me part of that is being kind to the folks I pass. I actually feel bad for the haters because they are missing that great time in the woods and would rather be jerks to us.

Funny how when I am carrying my bike when hiking on trails that are not to be ridden I get no attitude from the equestrians and joggers... oh wait that is because I never see any of them. Just an occasional passer by carrying his bike on the hiking trail and following all the rules... wow we hike a bike a lot around here maybe they should open some of those trails so we can ride them...

Tools will be tools, they usually stay on the granite bay trails. Thanks to those who have been working to clear the trails recently, I am certain the majority are us low down mtb'ers!

mtbr member
    Was this an overweight brunette chugging along. If so it sounds like the same person that rudely f'd me off with no reason. She needs to keep running to lose some rolls and some of that attitude.

Type A
    Quote Originally Posted by James.Hamilton View Post
    Yeah unfortunately some really misled runners around here when it comes to attitude on the trail. I have had the full stop say hello to a jogger only to get a f*** you and a finger for absolute no reason. I wonder if these people also go out with saw packed on their backs to clear trail so that all can use.

It confuses me that people will hate on mountain bikers, isn't that as old as hating on snowboarders. The way I look at it everyone that is out on the trail has a similar idea which is to enjoy nature and for me part of that is being kind to the folks I pass. I actually feel bad for the haters because they are missing that great time in the woods and would rather be jerks to us.

Funny how when I am carrying my bike when hiking on trails that are not to be ridden I get no attitude from the equestrians and joggers... oh wait that is because I never see any of them. Just an occasional passer by carrying his bike on the hiking trail and following all the rules... wow we hike a bike a lot around here maybe they should open some of those trails so we can ride them...

Tools will be tools, they usually stay on the granite bay trails. Thanks to those who have been working to clear the trails recently, I am certain the majority are us low down mtb'ers!
    I spent a couple of hours clearing trees and brush on New Years day on Salmon Falls. I got just about everything significant except for the tree down just before insane mine trail and goofy, because my saw broke.

mtb'er
    On New Years Day, I saw a runner at Granite Bay whose shirt read "Mtn Bikes Ruin Trails"
    Wow. And I'm sure she doesn't get the irony that if she's running on the main GB trails, those trails were built by FATRAC, a mt. bike centric advocacy organization. I want one of those shirts.

I don't mind "chalked" markings so much... the Hash House Harriers have been using flour for years for their running routes. It washes away with rain. Paint and colored ribbons have a much longer shelf life.

Thanks for your trailwork, OHTTW.

More Torque
    Had that happen to me before as well, but the dude was not quite as indignant. Can't control A-holes; props for keeping your cool.

-D

mtb'er
    Here's another good one... a hiker telling motos they are illegally riding a trail they are legally on (in the UK?). I feel like I had the same conversation/experience yesterday, but on mt. bikes

(they turn off the motors, so it's easy to hear the good stuff)

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by uncle mama View Post
    I don't want to end up like that guy; I hope I don't get so old I don't know where I'm at

never mind...too late
    Good one. I resemble that remark...

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Empty_Beer View Post
    Here's another good one... a hiker telling motos they are illegally riding a trail they are legally on (in the UK?). I feel like I had the same conversation/experience yesterday, but on mt. bikes

(they turn off the motors, so it's easy to hear the good stuff)
    It may sound like they are in the UK but, I know they are in Marin County

mtb'er
    Crazy. Turns out the hater is a running coach at the local high school and is the executive director of the California International Marathon. Stories are rolling in...

Ebo
    mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Sweetwater is good for all. Don't let the haters ruin your day. Instead enjoy the good vibes installed on these trails by your fellow riders. Super trail to start a good ride in combo with Salmon Falls and beyond.... It is a bummer though that some individuals feel entitlement. But it is what it is. Happy trails to all......

zon
    Scofflaw Mountain Biker
    Quote Originally Posted by uncle mama View Post

never mind...too late

You talkin' 'bout me??

zon
    Scofflaw Mountain Biker
    Post up the video you took Jeff.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Question: When you see hikers ahead of you, do you immediately start stopping and pulling off, or do you ride toward them to see if THEY are going to pull off?

I've always done the former, and occasionally they'll wave me through, but I get a feeling a lot of people do the latter, then justify it by "well, they got off the trail", but it wasn't as much by choice for the hikers that aren't as aware of the actual rules. This seems to be especially true the faster riders ride, as when you spot someone (even another rider) around a bend, you've got to put on the brakes that much harder and "get out of the way". From all my riding, it seems a good chunk of mountain bikers "wait to see if the other guy gets out of the way", which in turn causes a lot of bad feelings towards riders, even if it doesn't happen during the specific instance.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

more skier than biker
    Nov 2006
    as I'm the rider who first came upon this guy, I'll chime in.

I was riding Sweetwater at a moderate pace (i.e. NOT hammering as we were doing a group ride and were all in social mode...I wasn't hammering going for a Strava record or anything like that). I can look at my GPS stats, but it was probably between 5 - 10 MPH. Which as all of us MTB'ers no, is not excessive, and you can pretty stop on a dime at that speed.

Anyway, I was cruising along, rounded a little uphill corner, and just as I was nearly around the corner, my rear tire slipped off a square edged rock and kinda made a loud popping sound as it slipped off. Just as that happened, I saw the runner about 20 yards in front of me. I saw him first and applied my brakes as his head was down, but as soon as he heard the pop from my rear tire, it certainly startled him and he immediately jumped off the trail to the uphill side.

I saw that he was startled..that was quite clear. What wasn't immediately apparent was how upset he would get. We didn't come come close to running into each other and he jumped out of the way so fast I didn't have a chance to yield off the trail myself.....I just had a split second to apply my brakes and slow to a crawl. I didn't even skid the tires as I came to a near stop.

As he lept to the uphill side, he was standing on some slippery glass or wet leaves or something and it kind of looked like he was about to lose his balance. So since I felt bad for starting him I said something to the effect of, "Whoa hey! Sorry about that! Didn't mean to startle you. Watch your step.". (Don't remember exactly what I said).

As I said that I was still slowly rolling toward him. I guess technically I didn't officially yield to him, since he had already jumped off the trail when he got startled. I kept on rolling slowly towards him because he still didn't have his balance on the uphill side, so I rolled along side of him figuring he could grab my shoulder or something for balance. I think I had a foot out pushing along the ground as I was rolling by at this point.

As I rolled by I said something like "you got it?" and extended my hand a bit in case he needed balance. He didn't take it, and at this point, I realized how pissed and annoyed he was. He really didn't want to look me in the eye, but just looked agitated, upset, and he rolled his eyes and sighed very loudly and shook his head when I said "well, there are 4 more riders just behind me".

At that point, I finally had a good feeling that this guy had some sort of issue with us being there so I said, "well, you know, this is a multi-use trail" as I continued to slowly roll on by (I think it was past him maybe 5 yards or so)

it was at that point, that he began to lose it and he started in on his LOUD discourse over how it was a "FACT" that MTB'ers weren't allowed on the Sweetwater trail and he was going to talk to all of his super powerful friends in the parks dept about it. At this point, we were recording the video, and we made him state for the record that he was in fact, on the Sweetwater trail. This is when he also accused me of nearly running him off the trail down the other side which was a sloped downhill (which is absolutely ridiculous since he jumped off onto the opposite, the uphill, side of the trail while we were still 20 yards away from each other).

It was ridiculous. We must of ran into 30 - 40 hikers/runners that day (there was a large group run at Salmon Falls that day), and every encounter with them was extremely friendly. "Happy New Year!", "Have a great day!" etc. etc. But man, this guy, what a jerk.

mtb'er
    Quote Originally Posted by zon View Post
    Post up the video you took.
    Video of angry old runner yelling at us

mtbr member
    That's a +1 for earbuds
    I never hear what they have to say
    But i imagine its all good

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Empty_Beer View Post

mtbr member
    Well I guess it could be worse.
    There could be a maniac homeowner with a gun that lives along the trail system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

mtbr member
    Well I guess it could be worse.
    There could be a maniac homeowner with a gun that lives along the trail system.
    Like the old crusty river rats that live on the delta and get all pissy when you're fishing to close to "their" dock. Doesn't help when we're yelling at them : "shutup ya crusty river rat !"

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast